Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Saint of Me / Politics
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 17, 2010 23:34

I hear both sides of the political divide saying the exact same thing: "You'll never make a saint of me." This can mean (1.) you won't take my suv/guns/money away, etc. or it can mean (2.) you won't make me celibate/patriotic/pious, etc.

Re: Saint of Me / Politics
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 18, 2010 00:48

Don't see anything remotely political about the song. You must have a field day with the opening verse of "Harlem Shuffle."

To me the song is just about sinners who repented and became saints, with Mick acknowledging he's as big a sinner in the eyes of the pious and then saying, but you won't see me converting. Great little song which sounds gospel but whose lyrics run counter to what you'd expect. A latterday studio highlight and a rare modern song that went down well in concert.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 18, 2010 00:55

Here's a Rolling Stones / political thing:

Mike Huckabee: Politicos Aren’t Dream Guests, Keith Richards Is
By: Beck / Smith

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith

hollywoodnews.com: Keith Richards and Mike Huckabee? Well, that’s what the former Arkansas Governor cum Fox News personality would like to see. He tells us that the Rolling Stones’ guitar legend is at the top of his list of dream guests for his new daily “The Huckabee Show” that begins its six-week test run July 26 on seven Fox stations.

“If you can get that to happen, you get to be executive producer of the show,” declares Huckabee, who moonlights as a bass player with his Capitol Offense band. As far as political figures? “I’ve met most of the politicians in the country. I would hardly consider any of them dream guests,” he says.

Huckabee’s new show will be seen in New York, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa and Minneapolis-St. Paul — with prospects for a full network debut as early as the beginning of next year. The once and potentially future Presidential candidate, whose modus operandi precludes the strident contentiousness common among cable news personalities, says he’ll focus on issues with an emphasis on understanding and solutions.

“I have very strong clarion views on tough topics, but I respect people who have different views,” he stresses. “When I have discussions with people who don’t agree with me, that gives me traction to increase my understanding.”

Such was the case, according to Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, when he debated gay adoption with lesbian mom Rosie O’Donnell on her radio show.

“It was a good conversation,” he maintains. (She, at one point, said that hearing his views was “very painful.”) “Obviously, when it concluded neither of us changed each other’s mind. It’s a delicate, touchy subject. The net result is, she still disagrees with me, probably thinks I’m a Neanderthal. But we were not yelling and screaming at each other. I had Bill Maher on my show. I can’t think of anyone I disagree with more, and it was one of the better segments I’ve had. It was interesting to find out why he has such contempt for religion. I didn’t feel I had to argue with him. I consider my audience intelligent and mature enough to form their own conclusions.”

[www.hollywoodnews.com]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 18, 2010 00:57

I'm not saying the song is about politics, I'm just saying it applies to politics.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 18, 2010 00:59

the lyrics are exceptional, in that he depicts himself as having thought about something, considered a path, and then rejected it. Rock songs don't usually deal in such complexity. He could have a found a better method than the history-book primer--a format he unfortunately enjoys, though he often gets help on the details--but the chorus has genuine emotion.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: July 18, 2010 03:52

Edith Grove
Here's a Rolling Stones / political thing:

Mike Huckabee: Politicos Aren’t Dream Guests, Keith Richards Is
By: Beck / Smith

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith

hollywoodnews.com: Keith Richards and Mike Huckabee? Well, that’s what the former Arkansas Governor cum Fox News personality would like to see. He tells us that the Rolling Stones’ guitar legend is at the top of his list of dream guests for his new daily “The Huckabee Show” that begins its six-week test run July 26 on seven Fox stations.

“If you can get that to happen, you get to be executive producer of the show,” declares Huckabee, who moonlights as a bass player with his Capitol Offense band. As far as political figures? “I’ve met most of the politicians in the country. I would hardly consider any of them dream guests,” he says.

Huckabee’s new show will be seen in New York, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa and Minneapolis-St. Paul — with prospects for a full network debut as early as the beginning of next year. The once and potentially future Presidential candidate, whose modus operandi precludes the strident contentiousness common among cable news personalities, says he’ll focus on issues with an emphasis on understanding and solutions.

“I have very strong clarion views on tough topics, but I respect people who have different views,” he stresses. “When I have discussions with people who don’t agree with me, that gives me traction to increase my understanding.”

Such was the case, according to Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, when he debated gay adoption with lesbian mom Rosie O’Donnell on her radio show.

“It was a good conversation,” he maintains. (She, at one point, said that hearing his views was “very painful.”) “Obviously, when it concluded neither of us changed each other’s mind. It’s a delicate, touchy subject. The net result is, she still disagrees with me, probably thinks I’m a Neanderthal. But we were not yelling and screaming at each other. I had Bill Maher on my show. I can’t think of anyone I disagree with more, and it was one of the better segments I’ve had. It was interesting to find out why he has such contempt for religion. I didn’t feel I had to argue with him. I consider my audience intelligent and mature enough to form their own conclusions.”

[www.hollywoodnews.com]

Maybe huckabee can make a saint out of Keithdrinking smiley

"I'm glad you're here," he told me. "I finally get to tell someone who cares about Keith Richards."

Before I could respond, Huckabee plowed into a long and very entertaining story -- one that included a surprisingly dead-on Pirates of the Caribbean-esque impersonation -- about how Richards and Ron Wood got pulled over for reckless driving while on tour in Fordyce, Arkansas, a million and a half years ago, in 1975. Richards ended up getting a misdemeanor conviction -- an injustice that stood for thirty-one years, until Huckabee, a would-be rock musician himself, stepped in and pardoned Richards last year.

"It's a long process, pardoning," Huckabee said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It takes a lot of paperwork. And the funny thing is, people said to me afterwards, 'Governor, you'll do that for Keith Richards, but you wouldn't do that for an ordinary person.' And my answer to that is always, 'Hey, if you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'll consider pardoning you, too.' "
[www.alternet.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-18 03:58 by U2Stonesfan.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 18, 2010 03:59

It can apply to removing a washing machine.

Are you bored? You drudge up this kind of worthless bullshit to start a thread? Gotdamn this is as lame as ANYTHING MitchFlorida would do.

Date: July 18, 2010 04:04

U2Stonesfan
Maybe huckabee can make a saint out of Keithdrinking smiley

"I'm glad you're here," he told me. "I finally get to tell someone who cares about Keith Richards."

Before I could respond, Huckabee plowed into a long and very entertaining story -- one that included a surprisingly dead-on Pirates of the Caribbean-esque impersonation -- about how Richards and Ron Wood got pulled over for reckless driving while on tour in Fordyce, Arkansas, a million and a half years ago, in 1975. Richards ended up getting a misdemeanor conviction -- an injustice that stood for thirty-one years, until Huckabee, a would-be rock musician himself, stepped in and pardoned Richards last year.

"It's a long process, pardoning," Huckabee said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It takes a lot of paperwork. And the funny thing is, people said to me afterwards, 'Governor, you'll do that for Keith Richards, but you wouldn't do that for an ordinary person.' And my answer to that is always, 'Hey, if you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'll consider pardoning you, too.' "
[www.alternet.org]

Date: July 18, 2010 04:07

He said Ronnie Woods.

He doesn't even know Ronnie's name. He doesn't know shit.

Date: July 18, 2010 04:10

Huckabee has a fascination for Richards, that's for sure.

Being a Southern Baptist minister, I find that incredibly ironic.

Date: July 18, 2010 04:25

Well, just like all of them, he's full of shit. Nothing surprising there.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: July 18, 2010 05:48

I just thought it was MJ talking about himself. Nothing too secretive or sinister, just his life and that he enjoys it-he loves wine women and song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home