Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Listening to Hot Rocks 1964-1971..
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 28, 2012 14:51

It's some time ago
Hot Rocks 1964-1971 Great Stones Classics comp on VINYL! Nice albumcover and with the vinyl it feels better and its more readable!

My Rock n' Roll starter Kit is;

1. The Rolling Stones-The Rolling Stones.
2. The Who- Live at Leeds.
3. The Cream-Live Cream.
3. Jimi-Hendrix Experience-Smash Hits.

Cheers

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:20

I wouldn't consider Live Cream part of a starter kit. It's only 4 live tracks and one studio track, and they are pretty deep album cuts. Not really for the casual Cream fan. Great album though, but it's not a good way to introduce somebody to Cream.

Cream Gold would be better. One disc of 21 hits, with every album being represented and a second disc of live material, with 3 of the 4 live tracks from Live Cream.

Date: October 28, 2012 19:38

What I mean with a starter kit; early Vinyl albums I bought and some of the Sixties Bands did play long tracks and another I recommend is Stirring The Cream.
My collection is a few thousand...it's not easy

Cheers

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:42

best comp ever - the words "hot rocks" in grade school/high school were code for cool

Date: October 28, 2012 21:47

runaway
What I mean with a starter kit; early Vinyl albums I bought and some of the Sixties Bands did play long tracks and another I recommend is Stirring The Cream.

Cheers

Oh, I thought you were recommending that as a starter kit.

Date: October 28, 2012 22:11

NoCode0680
runaway

Cheers

Oh, I thought you were recommending that as a starter kit.

Once more for all of you my starter kit;
1. The Rolling Stones-Hot Rocks.
2.The Who-Live at Leeds.
3.The Cream-Disraeli Gears.
4. Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:22

NoCode0680
I wouldn't consider Live Cream part of a starter kit. It's only 4 live tracks and one studio track, and they are pretty deep album cuts. Not really for the casual Cream fan. Great album though, but it's not a good way to introduce somebody to Cream.

Cream Gold would be better. One disc of 21 hits, with every album being represented and a second disc of live material, with 3 of the 4 live tracks from Live Cream.

This 1983 comp was my Cream starter, featuring mostly their singles, then I bought the albums.

1. Badge
2. Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Crossroads
4. White Room
5. Born Under A Bad Sign
6. SWLABR
7. Strange Brew
8. Anyone For Tennis (Wouldn't That Be Nice)
9. I Feel Free
10. Politician
11. Tales Of Brave Ulysses
12. Spoonful

Date: October 28, 2012 22:41

stonesnow
NoCode0680

This 1983 comp was my Cream starter, featuring mostly their singles, then I bought the albums.

1. Badge
2. Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Crossroads
4. White Room
5. Born Under A Bad Sign
6. SWLABR
7. Strange Brew
9. I Feel Free
10. Politician
12. Spoonful

Thanks for your post and some great Cream songs.
Some more in my collection are Fresh Cream and Heavy Cream double vinyl, this one I bought a long time ago in Calgary, my favorite Cream track is; We're Going Wrong.

Cheers.

Date: October 29, 2012 00:46

hbwriter
best comp ever - the words "hot rocks" in grade school/high school were code for cool

That's hilarious. Made In The Shade was the one for my skool/crowd.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:54

The Hot Rock is also a darn good movie.

Watch for the helicopter scene where they fly by a "being constructed" WTC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 02:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:50

Now, I'm no complainer, but, as much as I enjoy the American LP version "12x5"
and it's churchy version of "Time Is On My Side", I dislike the substitution
of the single version of the tune on copies "Hot Rocks" for the past 20 years.
MUCH prefer the single. Ah well.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:56

Well, Hot Rocks was the very first way to get jjf in no-single format.
I find it funny, you can own every Stone studio album and still don't have jjf

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:08

ManuelStones

Big Hits Vol 2 Through The Past Darkly, released 1969

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:05

ManuelStones
.... I find it funny, you can own every Stone studio album and still don't have jjf

That tidbit may be the best (most valuable for a bar bet) Stones trivia ever.

Question- "What studio album is Jumpin Jack Flash on"? I'll give you 3 guesses.

Answer- It is not on any studio ALBUM.

Date: October 29, 2012 03:09

Max'sKansasCity
ManuelStones
.... I find it funny, you can own every Stone studio album and still don't have jjf

That tidbit may be the best (most valuable for a bar bet) Stones trivia ever.

Question- "What studio album is Jumpin Jack Flash on"? I'll give you 3 guesses.

Answer- It is not on any studio ALBUM.

Also, Hey Jude is not on any studio Beatles album--in fact, a lot of songs got left off, so much so that the Past/Mono Masters collection fills 2 discs. Same with The Stones, which is why the 3-disc Singles Collection: The London Years is so essential.

Date: October 29, 2012 03:51

stonesnow
NoCode0680

1. Badge
2. Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Crossroads
4. White Room
5. Born Under A Bad Sign
6. SWLABR
7. Strange Brew
9. I Feel Free
10. Politician
12. Spoonful

LOL, that was my introduction to Cream also. I knew pretty much nothing about them, I had just heard "I Feel Free" on the radio and liked it, and then I saw that CD used in a record store and bought it.

Soon I bought "The Very Best Of Cream", it actually came out that same year, and it was a little more comprehensive (all the same tracks on Strange Brew plus 8 more), and I think a little bit better sound, so that became my go-to Cream CD until I started buying the studio albums.

1. Wrapping Paper
2. I Feel Free
3. N.S.U.
4. Sweet Wine
5. I'm So Glad
6. Spoonful
7. Strange Brew
8. Sunshine Of Your Love
9. Tales Of Brave Ulysses
10. SWLABR
11. We're Going Wrong
12. White Room
13. Sitting On Top Of The World
14. Politician
15. Those Were The Days
16. Born Under A Bad Sign
17. Deserted Cities Of The Heart
18. Crossroads
19. Anyone For Tennis
20. Badge

There's probably some even more comprehensive compilations out since '95, but I have all their stuff so I haven't checked it out. This was the one we all had when I was in high school though.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:10

I was aware of the Stones before this, but this is the album that made me a Stones fan. As a lonely 14-year old, I played it again and again. It made me go back and get the older albums as well as look forward to the next one. A perfect mix of hit singles and great album cuts.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 29, 2012 23:16

ManuelStones

Same can be said for Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:40

71tele = Agree and the sequence is perfect

Date: October 30, 2012 06:11

NoCode0680
stonesnow
NoCode0680

1. Badge
2. Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Crossroads
4. White Room
5. Born Under A Bad Sign
6. SWLABR
7. Strange Brew
9. I Feel Free
10. Politician
12. Spoonful

LOL, that was my introduction to Cream also. I knew pretty much nothing about them, I had just heard "I Feel Free" on the radio and liked it, and then I saw that CD used in a record store and bought it.

Soon I bought "The Very Best Of Cream", it actually came out that same year, and it was a little more comprehensive (all the same tracks on Strange Brew plus 8 more), and I think a little bit better sound, so that became my go-to Cream CD until I started buying the studio albums.

1. Wrapping Paper
2. I Feel Free
3. N.S.U.
4. Sweet Wine
5. I'm So Glad
6. Spoonful
7. Strange Brew
8. Sunshine Of Your Love
9. Tales Of Brave Ulysses
10. SWLABR
11. We're Going Wrong
12. White Room
13. Sitting On Top Of The World
14. Politician
15. Those Were The Days
16. Born Under A Bad Sign
17. Deserted Cities Of The Heart
18. Crossroads
19. Anyone For Tennis
20. Badge

There's probably some even more comprehensive compilations out since '95, but I have all their stuff so I haven't checked it out. This was the one we all had when I was in high school though.

Yes, the collection you mention is better with more tracks, but the comp I first mentioned was on vinyl initially, purchased in the early 80s [released in 1983] before CDs were first made. It had a different cover then for the vinyl version [or perhaps I'm thinking of the back cover], which did not include tracks 6 and 11, as it was the U.S. version. I also bought Disraeli Gears back in the day, and now I have the 2-CD deluxe version. I think the '95 comp is about as comprehensive as it can get for the casual fan, as they only put out 4 albums. Now, too, in addition to Fresh Cream I also have Fresh Outtakes and Acetates with 19 tracks [at 62:23], with such unreleased rarities as Beauty Queen, Coffee Song, and You Make Me Feel, in addition to 4 versions of I Feel Free and 2 versions each of Cat's Squirrel, Sweet Wine, and Wrapping Paper.

Beauty Queen by Cream:
[www.youtube.com]

Coffee Song by Cream:
[www.youtube.com]

You Make Me Feel by Cream:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 30, 2012 13:42

71Tele
I was aware of the Stones before this, but this is the album that made me a Stones fan. As a lonely 14-year old, I played it again and again. It made me go back and get the older albums as well as look forward to the next one. A perfect mix of hit singles and great album cuts.

I totally agree with you, Tele. It's a perfect compilation (and their best best-of), especially because it's not just the singles. I am very fond of Made in the shade too. It has put well together and has a coherence, that compiltations all too often lack.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home