Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: any fans of steppenwolf?
Date: October 27, 2012 06:30

great band. i can't believe they aren't in the rock n roll hall of fame. not sure they have ever even been nominated

Re: OT: any fans of steppenwolf?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:39

yes i remember my father really liking steppenwolf as did i, he also liked iron butterfly and savoy brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 06:41 by melillo.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:42

Never dug any deeper than various greatest hits albums but I saw them a couple times and really enjoyed it.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 27, 2012 06:46

I have the story of Steppenwolf on DVD, an authorized bio from the 2000s. John Kay is another great ageless legend of rock n roll. You can't believe they're not in the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame? I still can't believe there is even such a thing as the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 06:48 by stonesnow.

Date: October 27, 2012 06:46

tatters
Never dug any deeper than various greatest hits albums but I saw them a couple times and really enjoyed it.

thats all i have. a 2 cd hits album called BORN TO BE WILD:A RETROSPECTIVE 1966-1990 but imo its the best compilation they have on the market. there is a newer 2 cd set called GOLD but its not even close to being as thorough as the one i have

Date: October 27, 2012 06:51

Here ya go, Keef. Recommended viewing, this is the DVD I own.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 07:07

I am a big fan. Their first 5 or 6 lps are really good. Very political & actually very anti-drug songs, yet they were sooo coool!!!!!

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Date: October 27, 2012 07:10

Hey Keef, you could probably see them in concert, as they're still touring, at least John Kay is, with his present version of the band.... The photo below is John Kay in Belgium from July 2012.

They did an extensive tour of the U.S. and Canada in 2011. They still tour every year. They'll be in Tampa, Florida, on February 10, 2013. That's all that's listed for now.

Date: October 27, 2012 07:18

yeah i hope i can see them live but it looks like they cut back the amount of dates they do each year.

does anyone own the live album they recorded on their 25th anniversary tour? i know its not the original lineup but it has 2 new songs exclusive to that set and a bunch of songs from the late 80's albums.

Date: October 27, 2012 07:24

keefriffhard4life
yeah i hope i can see them live but it looks like they cut back the amount of dates they do each year.

does anyone own the live album they recorded on their 25th anniversary tour? i know its not the original lineup but it has 2 new songs exclusive to that set and a bunch of songs from the late 80's albums.

I was just in the process of posting this actually.

Date: October 27, 2012 07:38

Also, if you wish to further/deepen your Steppenwolf collection, you can shop for CDs and vinyl and even cassettes at:

steppenwolf.com

You can get a vinyl copy of the early 80s album Wolftracks

You can get their 1971 fifth album 7 on cassette [just $4.99!]

or Paradox [brand new, still sealed, rescued from a storage warehouse, also $4.99!]

and, best of all, they have 34 different CDs available, including all of the early albums, and even the Easy Rider soundtrack. Also, the Live At 25 Silver Anniversary double CD is only $19.99 [with 23 tracks, less than $1 a track!].

Date: October 27, 2012 08:01

stonesnow
keefriffhard4life

so is it worth getting? thats actually the re-release version right? i keep seeing this version and it looks like the same tracklisting. is this the exact same?
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:37

John Kay finally took off his sunglasses!
I last saw John Kay and co. in the 90's and he still would not take off his glasses.

Date: October 27, 2012 08:54

BluzDude
John Kay finally took off his sunglasses!
I last saw John Kay and co. in the 90's and he still would not take off his glasses.

you do know he has eye issues and thats why he wears the glasses right?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:37

GREAT BAND STEPPENWOLF
John Kay German-Canadian Singer Songwriter formed the Band Steppenwolf" Hermann Hesse's book The Steppenwolf".

In the early seventies I did see the film EASY RIDER in the movies and was struck by the film and the soundtracks. Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson where outstanding!
Some of the great soundtracks BORN TO BE WILD and THE PUSHER blow me away!
More vinyl I have are Born To Be Wild and The Best of Steppenwolf.

Cheers

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:05

great band...monster is my fave album of theirs. kay is jagger on a bike....or something....

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:07

Besides the big hits and the Easy Rider soundtrack, they also had a really solid album called "Monster"....check it out

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 27, 2012 17:07

I got turned on to Steppenwolf by my older brother and brother-in-law when I was 13..loved 'em! What the old story that used to go around about Goldy McJohn (organist) asking Mick and Keith(at a party) if they killed Brian? Or is that just one of those "legends"??

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 18:51

yeah...I used to like some of the stuff. Pusherman has a great groove & Snowblind Friend is good ballad.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: October 27, 2012 19:53

Don't Step on the Grass, Sam

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2012 19:59

jabhead
Don't Step on the Grass, Sam

You...You mean marijuana?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2012 20:02

Sookie Sookie

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: October 27, 2012 20:21

They were one of my favorite bands, too. Steppenwolf 7 was a great, underrated album. Also a big fan of Monster, Early Steppenwolf, Steppenwolf Live.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 27, 2012 20:44

I doubt Steppenwolf would have a real shot at the R&RHOF; they're a little too greasy (in a non-Ramonesish kinda way) for the hip-eousie who make the decisions. But non-HOF cachet is no shame -- many of my favorite bands will never get a sniff.

That said, my recollection of Steppenwolf's 1st album was how heavy and underground they came across. I was into the Beach Boys, Rascals, Monkees, Beatles even the Doors a bit. My big sister brought that LP home and they looked scary! And sounded scary. "The Pusher" -- Goddamn! They had longer hair, wilder clothes, and looked like they were there to create damage. The cover of "At Your Birthday Party" I thought was funny. "Hey mom, is it okay I invited Steppenwolf?"

Their progression was iffy at best, but there were some cool tunes. Like this:

Monster

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:36

Saw them back around '82, not bad...but they were completely blown off the stage by the opening act, Spirit...Randy California (R.I.P.) was phenominal.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:49

kovach
Saw them back around '82, not bad...but they were completely blown off the stage by the opening act, Spirit...Randy California (R.I.P.) was phenominal.

Spirit -- well now yer talkin'....

Date: October 28, 2012 00:08

keefriffhard4life
stonesnow
keefriffhard4life

so is it worth getting? thats actually the re-release version right? i keep seeing this version and it looks like the same tracklisting. is this the exact same?
[www.amazon.com]

Yes, I would pick it up. Amazon seems to have 2 different versions. The one at the top of the Amazon page looks to be the original 1995 version, but if you look below at the Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed section, it has the 2003 remastered version with the black cover. So it's up to you: It's the same 23 songs, but it looks like the original pressing will save you a few bucks.

Date: October 28, 2012 00:30

thanks. it looks pretty cheap on ebay

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: October 28, 2012 00:43

The double LP "Steppenwolf Live" is fantastic. I discovered it in my dad's record collection and still play it years later. It's a great album to blast if you're standing around a firepit drinking beer. Larry Byrom was the guitarist on that album and he had such a great tone.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 28, 2012 02:22

I made a thread on this group
some time ago. Sure their best stuff is cool,
and they sure made their most famous music
during a cool age in rock`n roll.
However, also a cool age in music
could have it`s pathetic stuff.
Just think of The Osmonds and David Cassidy
happening at the time of "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile".
Weird, huh? Hence I`m not too impressed
by neither "Monster", "Seven" or "For Ladies Only",
However, "For Ladies Only" contains the song "Ride With Me".
That`s a song in the spirit of "Born To Be Wild",
and so strong it could take you to the sky...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home