Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: moonlight mile live
Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 26, 2012 05:40

Wow. The generalization on this board, at times, is astounding.

I think the "Vegas" moniker is bulls@#t to begin with, but to make the statement that every Stones performance since 1989 lacks passion is astoundingly idiotic.

And, it says more about the person who feels that way than it does about the Stones. Much, much more.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:26

Send It To me
Been searching for a '99 recording of this for ages and finally found it

Would love to see this back in the set list - one of their best songs ever

What do you think of this version?

Thanks for posting this. I got to hear it at Anaheim '99. I was surprised and delighted when they played it.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:36

StonesTod
Justin
I love that Oakland '99 recording. Solid playing and a great setlist.

"Moonlight Mile" was, unfortunately, played very half-assedly. Even though Keith was never on the original, you'd think he'd rise to occasion here considering it's a very Keith sounding riff. But he doesn't. I believe Ronnie and Mick take care of the guitar work. The song is way to intimate to played in such a large arena. Mick just can't allow himself to be on stage and sing a song quietly to fit the song's mood...he has to exaggerate everything so that everyone in the arena can hear every syllable he utters. Too bad because it gives the song a black eye.

it wasn't meant for the stage, clearly. i remember being excited but ultimately deflated after seeing it in oakland and in san jose. some girls (the song), on the other hand....the 21-year wait for that was worth it....they totally knocked that one out of the arena....and i still think the debut version is the best they've ever done...

Saw them play Sway in Austin 06, let's just say the DVD version is better b/c they messed up big time on stage. Deflated is a good word. But, they made up for it with Bob Wils is Still the King and a damn good show overall. No reason why they can't make up for Sway with MT in the lineup.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 08:55

great saw it in hartford 99,gave me chills.great post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 08:56 by backstreetboy1.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 31, 2012 06:24

>This should of been on the No Secuirty live album replacing one of the usual war-horses.

They didn't perform MM until after the release of NS.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 31, 2012 06:41

That live version of Sway isn't bad. But trying to pull off Moonlight Mile with only two of the artists on the original, Charlie and Mick, doesn't quite work, though I applaud the effort. Bill would have taken control of the shambles and made it soar. Does Darryl not get it at all? Has he ever been interviewed as to exactly what he thinks he does with the Rolling Stones sound? He's got no balls in his bass. Step up man, or step away.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2012 16:16

vermontoffender
Wow. The generalization on this board, at times, is astounding.

I think the "Vegas" moniker is bulls@#t to begin with, but to make the statement that every Stones performance since 1989 lacks passion is astoundingly idiotic.

And, it says more about the person who feels that way than it does about the Stones. Much, much more.

but that's the point. it's much more important to inform others about ourselves than the band. i thought that was understood.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 31, 2012 22:28

Great version IMHO (except for Mick's vocal).

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 31, 2012 23:07

But.. nothing beats the original version.. one of the highlights of Mick Taylor.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 02:28

I went from being excited when I saw this thread had live recordings of two of my favorite songs by any band....to just sad.

Moonlight Mile is horrible. Mick is trying, but it is not working. The band seems totally uninspired, other than Charlie.

Sway loses all the boozy charm it had in the studio. Same lyrics, whole different feel.

Maybe this is why the stick to warhorses? Is this material too challenging for where they are now musically? More rehearsal needed? Moonlight Mile IS a very challenging song.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home