Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Peter Criss of KISS New Book Review WHOA!
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 22, 2012 18:51

OT here, gang.
(Plus, I'm almost sick of The Stones today if that is possible!)

I luckily got an advance copy of the new Peter Criss memoir, MAKEUP TO BREAKUP.
It comes out tomorrow.
A few Rolling Stones' references in it, but all in all an excellent read.

Criss comes across with honesty and integrity as he describes the utter bullshit that Gene and Paul, and ACE, put him through in his days in and out and in and out of KISS. It is quite disgusting, really, when you read his side of the story.

Success brought wealth. Wealth brought GREED.
My review is here if you want to know more about it:

Peter Criss Book Review

His comments on Paul are hilarious!

Re: OT: Peter Criss of KISS New Book Review WHOA!
Posted by: batcave ()
Date: October 22, 2012 20:44

Met Peter at the Rock and Shock Convention in Worcester MA a couple of weekends back. I can't tell you how great he was. He had a big table, but would come out from behind it and hug each fan that approached, telling them how happy he was to see them and to thank them for coming out. He answered any question you had, listened to any story you had to tell him about seeing KISS or having his poster on your bedroom wall with genuine appreciation and humor. He didn't rush anyone through and talked with you until you had said everything you needed to say to him.

Just a fantastic guy

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 20:48

Nice review! Definitely interested in reading this.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 22, 2012 20:53

Might have to give that a read.

Date: October 22, 2012 20:53

batcave
Met Peter at the Rock and Shock Convention in Worcester MA a couple of weekends back. I can't tell you how great he was. He had a big table, but would come out from behind it and hug each fan that approached, telling them how happy he was to see them and to thank them for coming out. He answered any question you had, listened to any story you had to tell him about seeing KISS or having his poster on your bedroom wall with genuine appreciation and humor. He didn't rush anyone through and talked with you until you had said everything you needed to say to him.

Just a fantastic guy

there was a video floating around online where a fan is telling a story about his sister passing from a long horrible fight with cancer to peter and that listening to early kiss records kept her spirits up. you can tell peter's eyes are welling up with tears and he tells the fan "god bless you. i wish i was as strong as your sister". i bet gene simmons would have said "sorry she passed so that she can no longer buy our new albums or a concert ticket again."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2012 21:12

Great review, thanks Kurt!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 22, 2012 21:18

To be honest I was lookng forward to this but after reading an excerpt I wasn't impressed. I'll still probably get it when the price comes down.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 22, 2012 21:50

in defense of gene and paul (and i am a kiss freak) - they are running their band with an eye on the future - they do what they have to do to make it all work, ace told me he has zero interest being in kiss today - peter is pissed but peter is ALWAYS pissed (but a good, funny, decent guy) - starting the book this week

Date: October 22, 2012 22:51

Thanks everybody for checking this post and the comments.

hbwriter, I think Ace has zero interest in being in KISS today because of Gene and Paul.
Peter doesn't come across as being pissed at this point in his life, although he certainly used to be. But in my humble opinion, he had every right to be pissed!

Gene and Paul run "their" band with an eye on the prize money.
It's too bad, because it didn't used to be just "their" band.

Date: October 22, 2012 22:57

well, they auditioned ace and pete - i think it was always gene and paul's band essentially - plus, the fact that they didn't drink or smoke or anything allowed them to really stay on top of things more than the other two - I'm interviewing Peter next week about the book - i'm looking forward to it - he's always a straight shooter. For the record, as we all know -almost every major band has alpha leadership - mick/keith, tyler/perry, etc - so kiss is no different -and every band tries hard to make money - but Kiss still works their asses off onstage, puts on an amazing show (in my opinion), and the new record is strong too- the reason they are still going strong is because of gene and paul

Date: October 22, 2012 23:09

I do agree with all of those points, Chris.

I saw KISS last month and they still put on one hell of a show. My son and I had a blast.

I do feel a little strange, though, watching two guys wearing the exact same makeup as Ace and Peter doing the exact same moves as Ace and Peter. Tommy even sings Ace's songs. It comes across to me as phony. But maybe I'm too old or too jaded...

For the record, I didn't used to have a problem with KISS's replacement guys when they wore their own unique makeup.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 22, 2012 23:44

Kurt

I saw KISS last month and they still put on one hell of a show. My son and I had a blast.

I do feel a little strange, though, watching two guys wearing the exact same makeup as Ace and Peter doing the exact same moves as Ace and Peter. Tommy even sings Ace's songs. It comes across to me as phony. But maybe I'm too old or too jaded...

For the record, I didn't used to have a problem with KISS's replacement guys when they wore their own unique makeup.

I think the second line of your post is most important. They still put on a hell of a show and you had a blast.

I am not what could be considered a Kiss fan by any stretch of the imagination BUT... the two times I've seen them count in the top SHOWS I've ever seen. Even though I only recognized 1/4-1/3 of the songs, I still had a great time.

Regarding the make-up, didn't (don't) even the band members consider the costumes, etc. as "changing into character"? I know that we as fans tend to be attached to the indivi,duals on stage but, especially where Kiss & the make-up/costumes are concerned couldn't a parallel to theater/movies be drawn? While we all have our favorite Batman, James Bond or King of Siam, they are all characters within a show who are being portrayed by different actors/musicians than when originally produced. Where the parallel would end in my mind is in rock & roll, it's pretty easy to prefer how Ace plays the musical part over how Tommy plays the musical part even if they do where the same costume and "dance the same steps".

Looking forward to hearing what Kiss fans think of these thoughts. Myself, I couldn't tell you the differences between the original costumes and the current versions. Nor could I discuss Ace's playing as opposed to Tommy's. I just know that when I saw Ace, I was amazed at how bluesy his playing was.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 23, 2012 08:57

yes they are putting on characters/costumes but peter and ace invented their characters and they were representations of their lives

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2012 09:22

keefriffhard4life
yes they are putting on characters/costumes but peter and ace invented their characters and they were representations of their lives

I'm thinking you wouldn't be a proponent for the Brian Jones hologram.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:30

Thanks for that information on Peter's book,will definately buy it when it comes out in the UK.
I have always been a Kiss fan,infact my first ever rock gig was Kiss at Bingley Hall,Stafford in the UK in 1980.
Yeah it does seem a bit strange seeing the new guys in the old guys makeup.Still I am hoping to see them next year with my son who is 10.Hoping for some UK shows.

Date: October 23, 2012 16:14

i look at the four original characters as parts of a play - different actors may come in, but at the end of the day, everyone is replaceable (and i believe ace and peter still make money from the licenses on the characters)

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 23, 2012 16:53

hbwriter
i look at the four original characters as parts of a play - different actors may come in, but at the end of the day, everyone is replaceable (and i believe ace and peter still make money from the licenses on the characters)

I am not a huge Kiss fan but do like their music but I believe Ace sold the rights to his character to Gene and Paul so I don't think he gets any licensing money anymore?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 23, 2012 17:21

mr_dja
Kurt

I think the second line of your post is most important. They still put on a hell of a show and you had a blast.

I am not what could be considered a Kiss fan by any stretch of the imagination BUT... the two times I've seen them count in the top SHOWS I've ever seen. Even though I only recognized 1/4-1/3 of the songs, I still had a great time.

Regarding the make-up, didn't (don't) even the band members consider the costumes, etc. as "changing into character"? I know that we as fans tend to be attached to the indivi,duals on stage but, especially where Kiss & the make-up/costumes are concerned couldn't a parallel to theater/movies be drawn? While we all have our favorite Batman, James Bond or King of Siam, they are all characters within a show who are being portrayed by different actors/musicians than when originally produced. Where the parallel would end in my mind is in rock & roll, it's pretty easy to prefer how Ace plays the musical part over how Tommy plays the musical part even if they do where the same costume and "dance the same steps".

Looking forward to hearing what Kiss fans think of these thoughts. Myself, I couldn't tell you the differences between the original costumes and the current versions. Nor could I discuss Ace's playing as opposed to Tommy's. I just know that when I saw Ace, I was amazed at how bluesy his playing was.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Well, (Nearly) Everyone knows the Best Cat Woman was Julie Newmar, despite stiff competition from Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt. But there's a bit of dissent in the James Bond sweepstakes, it's true.

Not much of a KISS fan myself, but I'd opt for Ace and Peter with the band rather than others, if I had a choice.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:59

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life

I'm thinking you wouldn't be a proponent for the Brian Jones hologram.

LOL - thanks for the laugh on a glum day smiling smiley

Kurt, nice blog! You must share your secret to looking so young with us someday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 21:04 by Claire_M.

Date: October 23, 2012 21:29

Wow, thanks Claire!

(Living sober for the last seven and a half years sure helps!)

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 23, 2012 21:40

My understanding is that Gene ownes the makeup trademarks also bought them out of all future merch and royalties.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 23, 2012 22:49

KISS LP's make great liners for bircages. Horrendous . LPs make great frisbees if you don't have a bird.

Date: October 24, 2012 00:40

trainarollin
My understanding is that Gene ownes the makeup trademarks also bought them out of all future merch and royalties.

yeah i'm pretty sure he owns the makeup rights but thats not the point. each orginal member created a persona that was personal to them

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 24, 2012 06:09

Posted by: RollingGnome ()
Date: October 24, 2012 06:23

Thanks for the heads up and your great review. I read Ace and Gene's Books now I gotta read this.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 24, 2012 07:30

No need to wait for a Paul Stanley book. His paintings tell us his struggle.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 24, 2012 13:51

Just watched a live Criss interview on the morning news.

Seems like a class guy that pulled through a lot of adversity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home