Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Luxury
Date: August 17, 2015 15:39

No reason not to play it live, imo. They did it well.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 17:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 17, 2015 16:08

Why does your post have empty space -Did you post a video- I'm not sure on this PC end.

However, this is one of the best written Stones' song ever. It ranks up at top with many others.

Respectfully-

C

Date: August 17, 2015 16:13

Click the shield up in the corner of your browser (up right with Chrome, left with Firefox), and the videos will show.

There is something wrong with IORR's security settings these days - that's why...

Date: August 17, 2015 16:28

Hi D- IE doesn't work with IE or Chrome. Chrome is my mainstay navigation. Please re-post (maybe just edit?)

Thanks -
C

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:56

To my taste Luxury is one of the weakest songs on Iorr: repetitive and boring. Also quasi reggae.

Date: August 17, 2015 18:16

kleermaker
To my taste Luxury is one of the weakest songs on Iorr: repetitive and boring. Also quasi reggae.

The lyrics are brilliant!

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: August 17, 2015 18:21

Luxury and Time Waits for No One are my two favorite tracks on IORR in my humble opinion!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:32

kleermaker

completely agree.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 17, 2015 20:19

kleermaker

That's because you don't like my nickname.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 21:39

like this one, another good song on a good album. a bit underrated.

Date: August 17, 2015 21:41

I recommend counseling for those whom dislike Luxury.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:20

LuxuryStones
kleermaker

That's because you don't like my nickname.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

No, it's the other way round. cool smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:57

They make it too obvious that they're doing a pop/rock/reggae hybrid. Too upbeat, so it is not sincere reggae. Also, Jagger's little woops during the song get annoying after awhile. Song is also too long.

And yet, I like the song (especially Keith's back up vocals). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 23:00 by nightskyman.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:45

Have always loved this one, from initial hearing of IORR.

Not a major Stones song, but an addictive track; great chord progression, wonderful Mick/Keith duet; it may be only reggae'n'roll, but, I likes it!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 18, 2015 15:13

It's a Stones' reggae and it was one of my faves on IORR from the start . .

Btw As I liked it a lot on 76 tour I asked (Keith and Ron) why they didn't play it any more. Keith didn't really answer. Ron said something like it wouldn't work live.
From the few live renditions I don't get this.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 18, 2015 15:25

My favourite track on this record....

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:46

I ahve always liked this song and felt it was one of the better tracks on the IIORR. Great riff by Keith. This is a song that has a signature Stones sound to it via the guitars and I think the vocals are great as well with Keith prominently backing. Pity they don't play it live more often imo.

I like what this guy does to re-create the riff.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 20, 2015 08:25

I love this song. It reminds me of the days when I dreamed about the future, and everything seemed possible.

It kind of has a romantic swing to it, yet it also has a bit of humor too. It's wistful and positive at the same time.

Great track.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 20, 2015 10:11

Absolutely love it and can't quite put my finger on why. I guess it's a combination of the chord progression, Mick's great vocal, the lyrics and Keith's backing vox but it definitely has that Stones magic for me.

"Wistful and positive at the same time"-that's a good way of describing it, Jah!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:08

So when was Living in the Heart of Love recorded? In Jamaica?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:14

DandelionPowderman
Click the shield up in the corner of your browser (up right with Chrome, left with Firefox), and the videos will show.

There is something wrong with IORR's security settings these days - that's why...

HOLY CRAP! It worked! Wow. That's weird. Never even wondered about that thing.

Thanks for that!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:16

DandelionPowderman
No reason not to play it live, imo. They did it well.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Uhhh. Those were pretty bad. It just doesn't go over well.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 1, 2017 18:22

This is one of the songs that I fell in love with when I starting plunging headlong into being a Stones fan in the mid 90s.

Listening to it now, I still love it so!

I am interested in particular in the vocals. What's going on there? Mick up close, and double tracking himself on occasion? Keith in perfect sync with back-ups that are often more like front-ups. Is Mick doing any of his well known Keef impressions here?

This meshing of several vocals has been missing in all of their 'recent' oeuvre. Such a shame, as for ma, it is as essential in their their recorded output as the slashing riffs and sleazy strut.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2017 18:47

Great tune, but I wouldn't consider it reggae...reggae influenced maybe.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2017 00:59

One of those album tracks they could improve upon live, like Dancing With Mr. D, or If You Can't Rock Me. Not now of course, then.

Date: November 2, 2017 01:04

IMO "Luxury" is one of those songs that didn't get its due. It is a very good song, but was not given a good treatment in the studio. They should have gone full-on Islands with it. And also done it on stage for a whole tour, when they would still knock songs into proper shape on stage.
I can hear 'Luxury" on the Emotional Rescue album.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: November 2, 2017 09:35

One of the better album fillers, quite nice and enjoyable. None of the songs I would have loved to listen to in concert.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 24, 2018 16:45

Question for all you guitar mechanics out there - how did Keith get that wailing hurricane of a guitar sound on Luxury? I know it's overdriven but it's more than just the amp turned to 11.

As far as I know he never went for that sound again. It's totally unique. Wish there were outtakes of the song being demoed.

Date: October 24, 2018 17:09

Sounds like a classic Ampeg-sound to me, Mike. It's much of the same effect on Dance Little Sister. You can feel it in your gut.

My guess is that he had bit more mid-range in the EQ than usual, to get that extra punch. It isn't really that distorted, yet it's extremely powerful-sounding.

Date: October 24, 2018 19:22

DandelionPowderman
Sounds like a classic Ampeg-sound to me, Mike. It's much of the same effect on Dance Little Sister. You can feel it in your gut.

My guess is that he had bit more mid-range in the EQ than usual, to get that extra punch. It isn't really that distorted, yet it's extremely powerful-sounding.
Yes, even before I read your post I was already thinking in reply to Silver Dagger "Well it's right next door; he does it on DLS".
This turn made want to check out "If you can't rock me" in that middle instrumental bridge, when he comes in with that mid-range two-stringing stuff. But that is kind of a cleaner sound.

It is a similar sound to what Jagger often gets on his rhythm guitar.
Crazy Mama, Sway, Stop Breaking Down, Silver Train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 19:28 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home