Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 16, 2012 08:18

i agree that it was like watching you tube with the stones commenting....

interesting mick taylor comments about leaving the band because of the drugs (no writing credit mentioned)

i never noticed the german shepherd on stage at altamont

neat for me to see sam cutler with the stones at altamont. never noticed him much before but he's an engaging facebook friend so i find it more interesting to watch him then

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 09:42

Why then did MT join the Jack Bruce band with several other junkies? It would seem he might prefer playing that music.

Re: Crossfire Hurricane: S""T My Local Cinema could not show it due to "technical difficulties"
Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:25

neilly43
Drove 180 miles to home to watch it at my local cinema to find that they could not show Crossfire sue to technical difficulties. Grrr indeed. So 'king frustrated sitting at home watching everyone else having a good time...

So you DROVE 180 MILES (289 km) to your LOCAL cinema !!!??? That's one BIG country you've got over there, guys !!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:40

I'm hanging out to see this. I couldn't see it at the cinema here, and can't see any online source. Hope I don't have to wait too long.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:45

TeddyB1018
Why then did MT join the Jack Bruce band with several other junkies? It would seem he might prefer playing that music.

Yeah. If one wants to be a junkie, the most safe and sure place to accomplish that hobby is to play the guitar in The Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

Date: November 16, 2012 10:56

Doxa
TeddyB1018

Yeah. If one wants to be a junkie, the most safe and sure place to accomplish that hobby is to play the guitar in The Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

I think it was an even easier route to junkiness on Bruce's tour bus grinning smiley

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 16, 2012 11:02

I hoped for a more comprehensive 50 year analysis.

The theme for the questions were supposed to answer tomorrow for the film to be shown before the concerts seems to be in line with the direction of this film as it relates to the fans involvement:

Irreverant QnA.

Wish the gig of making this had been assigned to one of us, we could have done so much more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 19:51 by chelskeith.

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 15:47

I thought it was good. Enjoyed it. Also think it sets up for a "part 2" perfectly. It ended on the whole vibe of "We're the best band ever." "We are on top of the world. What could possibly go wrong!" so the disaster of the 80's could be coming. Overall, really enjoyed it. Awesome Brian footage.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 17:33

Did anybody record it last night from HBO?

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 16, 2012 17:37

I was thinking about that after watching it...but I think the purpose is just to capture the RISE of the Stones. More important, though, to me at least, is that Jagger and the boys produced or executive produced this. It's in the end a bit of PR...nicely timed for the 50th hoopla...and not a real documentary in the sense of digging deep into some unpleasant events.

It's entertaining and the outtakes and music are good...but it's not an indepth, critical look at the band.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 16, 2012 17:45

little queenie
i agree that it was like watching you tube with the stones commenting....

interesting mick taylor comments about leaving the band because of the drugs (no writing credit mentioned)

i never noticed the german shepherd on stage at altamont

neat for me to see sam cutler with the stones at altamont. never noticed him much before but he's an engaging facebook friend so i find it more interesting to watch him then
I love the Altamont Dog smiling smiley. I think Gimme Shelter was the best Stones movie - at least of those I've seen.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 16, 2012 17:58

I thought it was extremely well done! I can't believe the new footage, never seen before....things that I'd never heard before like how Mick cried in a corner just before going on stage at Hyde Park. I think many of us have not realized that Brians' death really did affect them deeply. With the hiring of Mick Taylor so quickly, it was easy to assume that Brian meant nothing to them, or very little. That was not true.
I loved the voices of Mick, Keith and Charlie ( and later MT and Bill W) that accompanied the film. One criticism that I read said that unless you are a REAL fan, you might not know who was talking....guess they don't know much about Stones fans!! I was surprised that I loved it so much! All praise from me, can't wait to buy the DVD....I'll even watch it again!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 16, 2012 18:05

It seemed quite rushed, but I enjoyed all the unseen footage and commentary from the band.

Date: November 16, 2012 18:29

btw, did anyone notice that over the credits at the end they had this kind of mash up of one more shot and doom and gloom?

cheesy!

definitely this is a PR flick...but I did enjoy it

Date: November 16, 2012 18:31

I am really amazed at the negative reviews. I thought the film was excellent. I loved it.
First off it made me take notice that there is obviously much footage from 72, 75 filmed; probably by the Stones.
Not usre what folks were looking for, but the constant rush of seeing them just tear it up in the glory years was so beautiful.
The US crowd for Street Fighting Man in 72 rivals today's So American crowds.
The writing of Mick and Keith with "Sittin on a fence" and "tell Me" was golden. I always wanted to see this kind of footage. Charlie siting there. ALO drumming on a table.
The Sympathy version from the Circus had some real danger in it.
I loved how the band always says that Jagger is the best frontman.
Bill had good things to say; he sounds like he has a lot of pride about the band now. everyone has come to their sense, LOL. "Brothers in arms.."
There was footage of Stu as a bouncer.
I don't know... I just loved it. Not the same old story. Very little about Anita and Marianne, because we know those old tales.
I liked Jagger's "feedback loop" analogy.
There is so much I wanted to write but I cant remember what it was. I was making notes through the film but cant read them; was in the dark.

About the film ending where it did: it is called The RISE of the Stones. So it made sense to me. its like Bill Wyman says towards the end, during the 81 footage" We made it". Somewhere earlier Jagger says "we won" Haha...
I had no problem with knowing who was speaking. I thought Keith spoke well; not too much of the usual hyperbole; or maybe it was good editing.
I just have to repeat: all the 72 backstage footage was amazing. There must be way more film out there than I thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-16 18:37 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 16, 2012 19:16

I agree - it was wonderful seeing so much "unseen" footage and there were very few flaws. I think I suffer from a case of creating expectations that no film can live up to (nod to Sparky Griswaldgrinning smiley). I'm watching it again tonight.

Again turning to the Wall Street Journal review: How dense could that writer have been when he said you didn't know who was speaking? The director purposely ran the opening credits in order of who was speaking so you could connect the words with the Stone who was narrating. smoking smiley

Re: Crossfire Hurricane: S""T My Local Cinema could not show it due to "technical difficulties"
Date: November 16, 2012 19:34

You didn't stay for Tony Orlando??? I guess once he split with Dawn, it was all downhill

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 16, 2012 19:58

71Tele
It seemed quite rushed, but I enjoyed all the unseen footage and commentary from the band.

Yeah especially at the end. With about ten minutes to go they were still focusing on the Some Girls era then briefly mentioned the big tours that followed. It was a good documentary but would have been better as a three hour piece that covered the band up to 2007 or so.

I also would have liked it better if the Stones narrated on camera instead of just hearing them talk.

Date: November 16, 2012 20:43

FrankM
71Tele

Yeah especially at the end. With about ten minutes to go they were still focusing on the Some Girls era then briefly mentioned the big tours that followed. It was a good documentary but would have been better as a three hour piece that covered the band up to 2007 or so.

I also would have liked it better if the Stones narrated on camera instead of just hearing them talk.

Saw it for the first time on HBO last night. Thought it was great. The RnR Circus outake footage was great. I'm glad they didn't show the Stones during the narration. It might have been distracting. As with any documentary of this type we could pick it apart, why this and not that, etc. I'm also glad they stopped when they did. When the boys finally call it a day, they can address the later years in part 2.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 17, 2012 06:23

I enjoyed watching it very much, apart from the always obnoxious flash editing. The new video bits were really great, but we are only given a taste. Perhaps the origin was cutting floor stuff from RR Circus, Goddard, CS Blues, and Gimme Shelter. The Stones probably have some rights there. I was a little bit surprised to not see much video extra from the 69 tour, but I can't complain. Certainly entertaining for the fans either way since there was quite a bit of new video included. This stuff is still entertaining and fun for me to view. We are certainly being bombarded ahead of the gigs next month. the machine is getting oiled up and ready to run.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 17, 2012 08:16

was aggrivating. Guess nothing occured after their first 20 years. Same thing as 25x 5 with small changes in footage.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 17, 2012 08:26

The Stones have had some less than stellar releases in their day...this was not one of themsmileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 17, 2012 16:02

At least here in the States it is there for repeated viewings via Comcast On Demand if you subscribe to HBO.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 17, 2012 16:06

Crossfore Hurricane is on HBO In Demand already....

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: November 17, 2012 16:52

I enjoyed it.
Great 72 tour footage.
Thought it was cool to see video footage of Annie L. taking that iconic shot of Keith slumped on the chair.

I liked that footage of Mick and Keith walking around the grounds of Redlands obviously on LSD.

Then there were the alternate song versions playing on the soundtrack. Sine I'm an Exile junkie, I loved hearing those alternate versions of Loving Cup, Tumbling Dice and the acoustic Ventilator Blues.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 18:59

I thought it was great all around and well done. The editing and the transitioning from the different phases of their career were very well done. If the intent was to caputre the classic stones period and their rise and first 20 years. Mission accomplished. Also thought it was great that the interviews of the band were just audio. I think cutting back between them and the actually documentary would have been distracting. Sounds like a little thing but it was important. As said above it was great to see some of that footage. I for one never knew film existed of the choir in ycagwyw! That was great. Id say maybe my favorite was Keith talking about midnight rambler and the footage of them playing the song along with the other of the mayham, and life style surrounding the 72 tour. That was a great scene put together beautifully.

Date: November 18, 2012 02:04

Just in the Rambler segment alone there were many different versions edited together. Also throughout we see Jagger in many different jumpsuits; all in the same very good quality video. It makes me wonder if the Stones filmed the whole 72 tour. Or is this is all Robert Frank cuts. Didn't Frank have someone with him who was doing the actual filming?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:15

>The writing of Mick and Keith with "Sittin on a fence" and "tell Me" was golden.

That's from CHARLIE IS MY DARLING (2012 version).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:20

You know, I was slightly disappointed. I thought it may have started whre Mick/Keith met, showed a bit of their private lives, went all the way to today, and included some of the rehearsals for the 2012 shows.

I also thought some of it tried to get too creative with how they tried to portray the hippy drippy sounds at times. And the focus on drugs.

But...it's entertaining. Better than nothing.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:44

There was a focus on drugs??....I don't know how you can tell their story without it...CS Blues segment with Mick snorting was a key segment. Jagger always leaped over this subject even in his interview with jann Wenner in 95.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home