Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micks Personal Philosophy Evident in Doom & Gloom
Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 12, 2012 19:24

After listening to the new single it struck me that Mick's personal philosophy of life comes across loud and clear, again, as it has in many of his previous songs. And that is: When times are tough simply get drunk and dance. Words to live by or vapid arrested development? To each his own I guess.

Re: Micks Personal Philosophy Evident in Doom & Gloom
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2012 19:35

Ya think? Personally I think he's just lookin' for shit to rhyme.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 12, 2012 19:38

cheerful nihilism

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:34

Gazza

That's what poetry really is though, innit? winking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:41

The sense of gloom and doom as far where humanity is heading is quite understandable; one would have to be overly optimistic not to have those feelings at least once in a while while watching or reading the world news. I think that is what Mick does like a lot of us do too, we just worry about the future may be not so much for ourselves but for others less fortunate.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:54

I always thought it was "Sparks Will Fly"

Date: October 12, 2012 20:56

All we want is a life beyond thunderdome. Amiright?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 12, 2012 21:33

At least there is no sodomy or misogyny in the lyrics to this song. Mick's personal philosophy? Avoiding taxes, maybe?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:33

God gave him everything. Now give us El Mocambo please.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:51

I think the lyrics are clever. He's mocking the "it's end of the world as we know it" fear-mongering in the news and culture, esp. the economic collapse news that *may* be overstated at times. "We'll be eating dirt by the side of the road" - that's funny stuff.

Some people in the U.S. (and elsewhere I believe) are preparing underground shelters and hoarding commodities to barter for when the money system implodes. It's ripe for satire.

Date: October 12, 2012 22:54

Claire_M
I think the lyrics are clever. He's mocking the "it's end of the world as we know it" fear-mongering in the news and culture, esp. the economic collapse news that *may* be overstated at times. "We'll be eating dirt by the side of the road" - that's funny stuff.

Some people in the U.S. (and elsewhere I believe) are preparing underground shelters and hoarding commodities to barter for when the money system implodes. It's ripe for satire.

Who runs Bartertown? Master Blaster runs Bartertown.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 22:57 by Send It To me.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:57

SoulPlunderer
Gazza

Not really.. Poetry doesn't have to rhyme.This and most pop songs do not contain true poetry.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2012 23:35

Claire_M

While satirical, I think the thing that makes it funny is that it could actually happen, and that it almost did happen in 2008.

What I think is most funny though, is that most of us we pretty much understand it can implode at any time, and yet we don't really seem to be able to do anything but argue about it...we won't touch that political argument here though.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 23:46

steverogan
SoulPlunderer
Gazza

Not really.. Poetry doesn't have to rhyme.This and most pop songs do not contain true poetry.

Nice to see you understanding the sarcasm in my post. Maybe I shouldn't have added the winking smiley as a hint. That just made it too easy.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2012 03:55

...I think his philosophy for the moment is get up and boogy....same as the old philosophy.

Posted by: RRMan03 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 04:02

It is easy to get drunk and dance when your net worth is 300 mil on the low end.When you have 3 dollars getting drunk is tough and dancing is not possible.But the idea is good.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: October 13, 2012 05:15

Gazza

Interesting assesment from a die-hard...
Hasnt this always been the case ?

Personally i think its very good for the band. Well crafted song where Jagger doesnt have to scream...
K.R. has an easy rythem to suit his fingers and stronger ronnie covers with fancy riffs..

Call me a knob but 12-15 songs this quality on an album would be a revelation.
Nothing lasts forever...embrace whats left or join the moaners...which i never put you down for.

I think your p*ssed at ticket prices to be blunt. No...there aint many that will afford it....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2012 08:49

I think the most significan thing is he dreams of surviving plane crashes and killing zombies. That really is why the man is the voice of several generations.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 13, 2012 09:05

Rocky Dijon
I think the most significan thing is he dreams of surviving plane crashes and killing zombies. That really is why the man is the voice of several generations.
I greatly admire Micks personal philosophy of surviving plane crashes, I msut say I agree.... and if a man has to kill a horde of zombies to survive... well... a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do... LMAO!! can you imagine if they made video for this song like they used to for MTV circa 1984.... Mick all Ramboed out, blowing away Zombies... DIE ZOMBIES DIE!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2012 13:36

Actually the philosophy is not that far from "Street Fighting Man". The basic idea is the same: so much going on (troubles) in the world, but the man in question, even recognizing the unfair state of affairs, for a reason or other, seems to prevent himself of doing anything active. To really making the world little better. In "Street Fighting Man" he just accepts his role as a passive outsider ("sing in a rock and roll band"), as a harmless entertainer, while in "Doom & Gloom" he just wants to go dancing (and drinking) with his woman (and leave the troubles worrying his mind behind for a moment).

Of course, there is a lot of implicit provocation in "Street Fighting Man", but in the end, the idea is basically the same. This man is not going to go to barricades, or doing anything effective. Of course, in "Street Fighting man" the passivity is more like a result of frustration knowing his limited position, even thoug having urge and idealism to do something, while in "Doom & Gloom" that is more like a nihilistic realism that better not even trying to think there is something he could do, so forget it it all...

In both cases, I think there is some genuine self-reflection in there.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 13:45 by Doxa.

Date: October 13, 2012 14:32

Actually I want to thank Duane in Houston for bringing up this issue, which actually firt time really put my attention to the lyrical side of the song.

So let me go on...smoking smiley

Now thinking, the lyrics are typical - or best - Jagger provocating and teasing the listener. There is that bite I think really seemed to hit, for example, with respect, Duane in Houston. Jagger paints there a picture of the need to recognize the state of affairs happening in the world (as I suppose any reflective persn should do), but then anti-climax-like totally turns his back on them - and just wants go dancing. The latter is like a middle finger statement against suppsosed activity and 'worriness'. I think that contrast, so strongly emphasized, is actually pointing out the banality of the situation, and the message actually is more effective than trying to sound like a 'preacher man' or 'political leader'. The 'anger' I think caused for some lsiteners is done with a purpose But I think the real message is totally opposite to the literal (nihilistic) interpretation. It forces people to think. To have an effect. A bit like with "Street Fighting Man" I described above.

This is Mick Jagger - and I think no other major song-writer in the world could be so nasty (well, Dylan can be as well). Damn the bonos, lennons and all the 'good people' of the world...

I think the same 'philosophy' - that of should doing more, but for a reason or other, not accomplishing the goals people are expecting from him (or from anyone) - can be heard in some other great Jagger lyrics as well. "You Can't Always Get What You want" is, of course, an explicit anthem of that, but I think more self-reflective is "It's Only Rock'n'Roll", which puts focus on Jagger's status and position as a pop star - and once a leader of youth movement, a world-shocking front man, a voice of counter revolution, 'artist' and whatever - the very position he refers to in "Street Fighting Man". The message is: don't even expect from of that too much. I would even say that "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" is a kind of deeper 'analysis' of the "poor man singing for a rock and roll band" in "Street Fighting Man". Jagger is as nasty and teasing to his admirers and listeners - and to their expectations - as he does in "Street Fighting Man" and, I think, "Doom & Gloom".

But if we go back to more 'political' songs, I would claim that Jagger actually succeeds better when he is hiding the message 'behind' his own 'coward'-like attitude (and like positing himself with a distance to the real subject matter). When he tries to be frank and 'preach' genuinely, I think he is not so interesting or convincing - thinking of "Undercover of The Night", "It Must Be Hell" or "Highwire". Don't know where to put "Sweet Neo Con" - it is a nasty and odd piece of work in so many sense...

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 14:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 13, 2012 14:46

He is just summing up the news from the last few years..........

Hear a funky noise
That's the tightening of the screeeeews

Is he talking about thumb screws confused smiley

THE ROLLING STONES - Doom And Gloom

I had a dream last night
That I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
Shot up a horde of zombies
But I come out on top
What's it all about?
It just reflects my mood

Sitting in the dirt
Feeling kind of hurt
Aaaaall I hear is doooom and gloom
And aaaaall is darkness in my room
Through the light your face I see
Baby take a chance
Baby won't you dance with meeeeee

Lost all that treasure in an overseas war
It just goes to show you don't get what you paid for
Battle to the rich and you worry about the poor
Put my feet up on the couch
And lock all the doors
Hear a funky noise
That's the tightening of the screeeeews

I'm feeling kind of hurt
Sitting in the dirt
Aaaaall I hear is doooom and gloom
But when those drums go boom boom boom
Through the night your face I see
Baby take a chance
Baby won't you dance with meeee
Yeah
Baby won't you dance with meeee
Oh yeah

Fracking deep for ...
But there's nothing in the sump
There's kids all picking
Ar the garbage dumb
I'm running out of water
So I better prime the pump
I'm trying to stay sober
But I end up drunk

We'll be eating dirt
Living on the side of the roooaaad
There's some food for thought
Kind of makes your head explode
Feeling kind of hurt
Yeah

But aaaall I hear is doooom and gloom
And aaaaall is darkness in my room
Baby come on
Baby won't you dance with me
Yeah
Yeah
I'm feeling kind of hurt
Baby won't you dance with meeeee
Yeah
Come on
I'm sitting in the dirt
Baby won't you dance with me!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 14:57 by NICOS.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 13, 2012 14:58

Gazza

reminds me of when Dylan was asked about the line "people don't live or die people just float", and he responded "I needed something that rhymed with coat"

Date: October 13, 2012 15:43

Doxa
Actually the philosophy is not that far from "Street Fighting Man". The basic idea is the same: so much going on (troubles) in the world, but the man in question, even recognizing the unfair state of affairs, for a reason or other, seems to prevent himself of doing anything active. To really making the world little better. In "Street Fighting Man" he just accepts his role as a passive outsider ("sing in a rock and roll band"), as a harmless entertainer, while in "Doom & Gloom" he just wants to go dancing (and drinking) with his woman (and leave the troubles worrying his mind behind for a moment).

Of course, there is a lot of implicit provocation in "Street Fighting Man", but in the end, the idea is basically the same. This man is not going to go to barricades, or doing anything effective. Of course, in "Street Fighting man" the passivity is more like a result of frustration knowing his limited position, even thoug having urge and idealism to do something, while in "Doom & Gloom" that is more like a nihilistic realism that better not even trying to think there is something he could do, so forget it it all...

In both cases, I think there is some genuine self-reflection in there.

- Doxa

Doxa, you have a gift of getting straight to the point. I will note it took you 4 edits to get there, however even still, great analysis.

Date: October 13, 2012 16:32

treaclefingers

Doxa, you have a gift of getting straight to the point. I will note it took you 4 edits to get there, however even still, great analysis.

Thanks. The point is that I am rather quick and especially sloppy writer, and I don't have nerves to check my language, or somtimes even the thoughts before pushing 'post message' as qyickly as I can. I do editing and checking 'whadda hell I did write', and perhaps polishing and a making it more more accurate afterwards... I know it looks ugly all those 'edited n times' but shit, that's my habit, can't help it... sorry...

- Doxa

Date: October 13, 2012 16:39

Doxa
treaclefingers

Thanks. The point is that I am rather quick and especially sloppy writer, and I don't have nerves to check my language, or somtimes even the thoughts before pushing 'post message' as qyickly as I can. I do editing and checking 'whadda hell I did write', and perhaps polishing and a making it more more accurate afterwards... I know it looks ugly all those 'edited n times' but shit, that's my habit, can't help it... sorry...

- Doxa

Yes, I was only teasing...keep up the great analysis!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 13, 2012 17:04

Doxa
treaclefingers

- Doxa

'whadda hell I did write'

I have the same problem ...even when I reread my own post I oversee some stupid mistakes (well it's a known phenomenal)

How many F's do you see in the sentence below

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

3 no (reread)

4 no (reread)

5 no (reread)

6 yes your right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 17:26 by NICOS.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2012 21:14

NICOS
minor corrections...

THE ROLLING STONES - Doom And Gloom

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
Shot up a horde of zombies but I come out on top

What's it all about?
Guess it just reflects my mood
Sitting in the dirt
Feeling kind of hurt

All I hear is doom and gloom
All is darkness in my room
Through the light your face I see
Baby take a chance

We lost all the treasure in an overseas war
It just goes to show you don't get what you pay for
Bowing to the rich and you worry about the poor
Put my feet up on the couch and lock all the doors

Hear a funky noise
It's the tightening of the screws
Feeling kind of hurt
Sitting in the dirt

But when those drums go boom boom boom
Baby take a chance

Fracking deep for oil but there's nothing in the sump
There's kids all picking at the garbage dump
I'm running out of water so I better prime the pump
I'm trying to stay sober but I end up drunk

We'll be eating dirt
Living on the side of the road
There's some food for thought
Kind of makes your head explode

Feeling kind of hurt
All is darkness in my room

Feeling kind of hurt

Dance with me
Sitting in the dirt

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: October 13, 2012 21:15

I'm sorry, but as much as I like the new song, I cannot stand the rhyming "take a chance" and "dance" anymore. Can't they think of something else to rhyme with "dance"!?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 13, 2012 22:51

Duane in Houston
After listening to the new single it struck me that Mick's personal philosophy of life comes across loud and clear, again, as it has in many of his previous songs. And that is: When times are tough simply get drunk and dance. Words to live by or vapid arrested development? To each his own I guess.

Must be nice to be able to afford that "philosophy".

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home