Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Official Brussels Affair vs Bootleg
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 3, 2012 03:37

Am I just off on this or does anyone else think the 'official' Brussels Affair is not as good as the bootleg? The bootleg I have long held near and dear is supposedly from Brussels, with the exception of the last few songs which as supposedly from Wembley Pool. The items from Wembley sound like an audience recording, rougher, etc.

But the original bootleg seemed to have a dirtier sound. Keith's guitar during Gimme Shelter sounded like he was ready to punch someone. Taylor's leads we right up top in the mix. Bobby's solos were uneven, but I always imagined that is what they really sounded like that day.

The official release must be mostly compiled from a different show (did they do two?) and just sounds tired to me. The guitars are not as prominent, esp Taylor.

I'm glad it was a cheap download, and glad they made it available...but I am thinking it might have ben better if left in a more raw state.

Re: Official Brussels Affair vs Bootleg
Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: October 3, 2012 03:59

No question that the boot is the much better performance - maybe some difference in sound - but it's the performance that is the difference. The boot is the Stones' finest hour in terms of live performance captured on tape - IMO

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 3, 2012 04:27

Can't comment on the performance differences but the offical mix is excellent and blows away the boot IMHO

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 3, 2012 05:06

It's two different shows ( early and late ) so only a rocket scientist could truly compare....and none of us are about to build a rocket as far as I can tell

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 3, 2012 05:32

Yes, it seems like the boot captured the better performance, I agree.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 3, 2012 07:28

That's like choosing between mainlining and freebasing.
Both are pretty damn powerful.
T@3

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 3, 2012 07:44

The main problem with the 'unofficial' boot is the lack of bass. I do think the 'unofficial' boot might be the better performance, but the recently released is pretty damn good. I had to swap out and put the 'unofficial' Dancing With Mr. D on the official CD. It is sleazier and darker and swampier and put the studio version to shame.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: October 3, 2012 11:15

The official is mostly taken from the 17/10/1973 evening show, except Brown Sugar / Midnight Rambler / Street fighting men which come from the Brussels 1st show same day.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 3, 2012 11:29

The Brussels bootleg which features the first Brussels show combined with Wembley Empire Pool is better than the official one, for sure. The official one is still magnificent tho'. ANd I'm glad they didn't release the show we had been familiar with for 35 years, and gave us the 2nd show instead.....unlike the other 3 vault releases which were big disappointments and not exciting at all

Date: October 3, 2012 11:37

The unofficial bootleg is not "a performance", as it's taken from different gigs - more so than the three tracks from the 1st show that is included on the official release.

The collection of songs on the unofficial bootleg is better than the official release, imo - although I like Gimmie Shelter on the official release the most.

Date: October 3, 2012 11:43

DandelionPowderman
The unofficial bootleg is not "a performance", as it's taken from different gigs - more so than the three tracks from the 1st show that is included on the official release.

No, that's not much of a difference. There's 4 from Wembley on "Brussels Affair" and 3 from 1st show on the official release.

And besides you also have the famous bootlegs featuring the entire 1st Brussels show, minus Star Star, which goes under other names than "Brussels Affair"

Date: October 3, 2012 11:54

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

No, that's not much of a difference. There's 4 from Wembley on "Brussels Affair" and 3 from 1st show on the official release.

And besides you also have the famous bootlegs featuring the entire 1st Brussels show, minus Star Star, which goes under other names than "Brussels Affair"

Well, at least there are more from other shows AND those performances are better than that on the Brussels-shows, so.. well, I guess there isn't that much of a difference. I thought one of the tracks (BS?) was from Newcastle as well?

I think I have the first show somewhere - would that be the boot called "Headin' For An Overload"?

I also think I have Star Star from this show weirdly enough as a bonus track on my copy of "Who Went To Church...", oddly also an Archive-release smiling smiley

Date: October 3, 2012 12:17

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Well, at least there are more from other shows AND those performances are better than that on the Brussels-shows, so.. well, I guess there isn't that much of a difference. I thought one of the tracks (BS?) was from Newcastle as well?

I think I have the first show somewhere - would that be the boot called "Headin' For An Overload"?

I also think I have Star Star from this show weirdly enough as a bonus track on my copy of "Who Went To Church...", oddly also an Archive-release smiling smiley

My bad....but not in your favour! When I said 4 songs, I meant on "Europe 73". There's only 2 (!) Wembley songs on "Brussels Affair".

When you say you have a version with Star Star from Newcastle, you probably have "Nasty Music / Nasty Remixes". Thats something else.

Headin For An Overload is standard London/Brussels (4 London - rest: Brussels)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-03 12:56 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: October 3, 2012 12:25

Erik_Snow
The Brussels bootleg which features the first Brussels show combined with Wembley Empire Pool is better than the official one, for sure. The official one is still magnificent tho'. ANd I'm glad they didn't release the show we had been familiar with for 35 years, and gave us the 2nd show instead.....unlike the other 3 vault releases which were big disappointments and not exciting at all

thumbs up

Date: October 3, 2012 13:06

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

My bad....but not in your favour! When I said 4 songs, I meant on "Europe 73". There's only 2 (!) Wembley songs on "Brussels Affair".

When you say you have a version with Star Star from Newcastle, you probably have "Nasty Music / Nasty Remixes". Thats something else.

Actually, the Star Star-version is from the 1st Brussels gig, according to the liner notes. It is indeed included (together with a couple of other 1973-songs) on disc 3 on "Who Went To Church...".

My copy of Headin' For An Overload has a different Brussels/London-show than the standard BA-boot, and the quality (audio) isn't very good.

Date: October 3, 2012 13:15

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

So you're saying that only Heartbreaker and Happy are not from Brussels on the original BA-bootleg?

Date: October 3, 2012 13:55

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

So you're saying that only Heartbreaker and Happy are not from Brussels on the original BA-bootleg?

No, Heartbreaker and Street Fighting Man comes from London

"Brussels Affair" was released in 1987, it featured a recent 1987 broadcast of 3 tracks: Brown Sugar/Happy/Gimme Shelter from Brussels. THe rest of the tracks on that bootleg was taken from vinyl (incl crackles) ; from "Nasty Music"

Before 1987, we didn't have Happy and Gimme Shelter from Brussels, we only had the London versions."

Date: October 3, 2012 14:04

Ok, thanks Erik. I always thought my version of Happy also was from London for some reason. I got the CD-bootleg back in the early 90s.

I was under the impression that BS was taken from a different show as well, as the sound is quite different in quality.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2012 17:06

Performance wise, I love just any Brussels audio that is available, boot or official. Incredibly high standards-

Sound wise, the official wins hands down. It is nothing less than perfect: you hear well all the instruments, the mix is well balanced, the level of detail is incredible.

C

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 3, 2012 17:14

Erik, do you ever get tired of re-explaining Brussels 1973?
Just wondering...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 5, 2012 23:57

Sorry for bringing this old thread up but I just wish the official release had a Taylor solo on JJF!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 6, 2012 00:11

hmmmm it´s easy: burn the first half of the boot-version on CD and replace the second bad sounding half with the offical pearls all down the line, rip this joint, street fighting man and so on. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 6, 2012 12:43

DandelionPowderman
I was under the impression that BS was taken from a different show as well, as the sound is quite different in quality.

Could be, as the 1987 broadcast also included BS from Rotterdam, to be recognized by the dry sound and the excellent slide playing of Taylor. Further, the 1987 broadcast had the Brussels version of BS remixed, with clearer drums and an audible sax solo.

Mathijs

Date: November 6, 2012 12:48

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Could be, as the 1987 broadcast also included BS from Rotterdam, to be recognized by the dry sound and the excellent slide playing of Taylor. Further, the 1987 broadcast had the Brussels version of BS remixed, with clearer drums and an audible sax solo.

Mathijs

Then, it's probably Rotterdam on my copy of Brussels Affair (released by the HawgLeg-label or something...)

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 6, 2012 13:40

The official boot is worth due to the fact that there are tracks never heard before in this quite good sound quality. Over all the official boot is somewhat muddy and muffled and not so clear or crisp as the boot we all know.

Date: November 6, 2012 13:44

RobertJohnson
The official boot is worth due to the fact that there are tracks never heard before in this quite good sound quality. Over all the official boot is somewhat muddy and muffled and not so clear or crisp as the boot we all know.

I wouldn't call the official release muddy or muffled? A bit compressed maybe, but the sound quality is absolutely fabulous. The drum sound is a bit weird in places, though - and I have some issues with the bass mix, especially on Gimme Shelter.

The bootleg is trebly, although crisp, but sorely lacks bottom/bass in the mix. The audience sound adds a lot of energy to the overall soundscape, though.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 6, 2012 14:27

Compare it to Rattlesnake 015/16 (Brussels Affair - Definitive Edition). This version I would call trebly, high-pitched and crisp. Of course the sound quality and particularly the artistic quality is quite good resp. great on both versions. We can count ourself lucky to have both Brussels concerts.

Date: November 6, 2012 15:19

IMO, the best Brussels-experience re the bootleg, is the vinyl release "Rock Out, Cock Out". It's fabulous! thumbs up

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 6, 2012 15:41

Erik_Snow

"Brussels Affair" was released in 1987, it featured a recent 1987 broadcast of 3 tracks: Brown Sugar/Happy/Gimme Shelter from Brussels. THe rest of the tracks on that bootleg was taken from vinyl (incl crackles) ; from "Nasty Music"

I think 2LP "Europe 1973" on Royal Sound is the source.
"Nasty Music" do NOT include All down The LIne.

See table below, it includes the broadcasts dates and a few related bootlegs.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:37

Any soundboard recordings of Bitch, 100 Years Ago, Sweet Virginia, or Silver Train from that tour?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home