Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Which was the SINGLE BEST Stones Concert That YOU ATTENDED ?
Date: September 30, 2012 16:37

I've seen them 3 times but the 2006 one was great because Michael Cohl had given me a pass to get into the Rattlesnake Inn. This was in Halifax, Canada.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2012 17:43

Max'sKansasCity
lucifrshmr
My Stones story starts in 1967. After getting swept up in the Beatles fever in 1964, then moving on to The Beach Boys by 1965, my musical tastes grew as i was and by 1967 after getting a Stones primer from one of the 'older' guys in the neighborhood, I was hooked.
By 1969 I wanted to see them live at the Spectrum. But at 15 years old my Father had other plans. His opinion was he didn't want me hanging at the Spectrum with a bunch of " pot smoking hippies", his words. If I went, he also told me I was moving out, "my house, my rules."
At 15 I decided I really wasn't ready to live on my own just yet.
So I waited..
By 1972 I was ready. A friend and I slept out at the Spectrum parking lot the night before tickets went on sale. In the morning it was crazy. I remember getting stuck between the ticket windows in the mad rush, and by the time I got to the window and got my tickets for the 2 shows that were being sold I was soaking wet. But I had them, and I was the happiest person in the world. I was finally going to see them live.
A few days later they announced a third show, but at the expensive price of $6.50 a ticket, I didn't have any money left. But I was still happy, I was going to two.

The night of July 20th my friend and I were sitting in the back of the arena in the second level. We didn't want to stay there, and during Stevie Wonder's set we hatched a plan. At the end of his set we would try to get closer. And boy did we.
By the time the lights went out for the Stones I was standing in front of the stage between Keith and Bill. Right in front of James Karnbach as I would later find out.
It was like the "Blues Brothers" movie for me when John Belushi sees the light at the church. Between Rocks Off and Gimme Shelter I saw the same light. I'll never forget that feeling.
The next day we figured why not go down and hang out at the show. Back behind the Spectrum was the ramp that went into the basement where the dressing rooms were. We sat on the wall and started having a conversation with a small black man dressed to the nines. His name was Stan. It seems Stan worked the stage security for the tour. He took a liking to me and my friend. Then another tall black guy joined the conversation, his name was Ollie. The four of us had a great time talking, drinking and passing a joint I had brought around. After a while Ollie had to go back inside for some work he had to do, but right before he left I raised my camera and said, "hey Ollie, how about a smile", and this is what I got.

A few minutes after Ollie left Stan pulled 2 tickets out of the inside of his jacket pocket and asked us if we wanted them. Well that was a silly question. My friends girlfriend was with us and after a little discussion my buddy decided to stay outside talking with Stan while his girl and I went in to see the show.
The seats were not the best, but instead of dragging her down to the floor we stayed in the seats and watched the show.
When the show was over we went back to the parking lot to hang out with Stan and just as I was crossing in front of the ramp coming out of the dressing rooms a car almost hit me. As I was backing up I noticed a face in the back window looking at me........Charlie. He gave me a smile and a wave, and he was gone.
We hung out with Stan for a few more minutes, but before he had to go he leaned over to my friend and I and asked us another silly question. Would we like to go up in the hotel and meet the Boys? He told us to meet him in the lobby at a certain time and bid farewell.
But that's another story.
For the evening show on the 21st my friend and I did the same thing as the night before, and wound up right in front of Keith.
I've seen many shows since 1972, and had some very good luck. I had the good fortune of being in front again in 1975 at the Spectrum, in front for the 1981 shows at JFK Stadium, eating dinner with the crew back stage in Chicago opening night, standing in front of Keith at the "10 Spot" show in NY, making friends with Freddy Sessler and doing lines with him at The Palace in NY, getting better seats then Tony Soprano for the HBO show at the Garden in '03, high-fiving Mick at the Voodoo Crew show at the Troc in Philly, and much, much more.
But I'll never forget "the light" in 1972.

That is a great story(s)... and pictures/stubs.. thanks for sharing... someday let us know how it went at the hotel.

AGREED, fantastic, thank you.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 30, 2012 18:40

JuanTCB
MSG 1/14/98

+1

I've been to 22 Stones shows (and five other Stones-related concerts). The best was 1/14/98 at the Garden, my third Bridges to Babylon show and first show from that tour that was in an arena. It included their only live performances of Lowdown and How Can I Stop?.

That one is followed closely by 9/20/02 at the FU Center in Philadephia: a Let It Bleed miniset and my first Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

My best Stones-related concert was the Winos 12/31/92 at the Academy in New York. Keef and Co. in a 1500 capacity theatre, 30 feet from the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 18:42 by ab.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 30, 2012 18:49

Voodoo Halloween SFO

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 30, 2012 22:49

All of those of you that have posted on this thread and were at a 69 show please inbox me. I need to speak to you regarding a current project.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 1, 2012 00:06

1989, Birmingham, AL, the single best show of the nine that I have attended.

Kudos also for the 2006 Atlanta show, mentioned earlier, which was the most recent time I have seen the band.

I'd love to see one more concert to make it ten shows, so I hope I get the chance here in Atlanta in 2013.

Provided, of course, that it is not an "all warhorse" set list. Nine times of Brown Sugar, as much as I have always liked the song, are enough!

Cheers......

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 1, 2012 00:09

lucifrshmr
My Stones story starts in 1967. After getting swept up in the Beatles fever in 1964, then moving on to The Beach Boys by 1965, my musical tastes grew as i was and by 1967 after getting a Stones primer from one of the 'older' guys in the neighborhood, I was hooked.
By 1969 I wanted to see them live at the Spectrum. But at 15 years old my Father had other plans. His opinion was he didn't want me hanging at the Spectrum with a bunch of " pot smoking hippies", his words. If I went, he also told me I was moving out, "my house, my rules."
At 15 I decided I really wasn't ready to live on my own just yet.
So I waited..
By 1972 I was ready. A friend and I slept out at the Spectrum parking lot the night before tickets went on sale. In the morning it was crazy. I remember getting stuck between the ticket windows in the mad rush, and by the time I got to the window and got my tickets for the 2 shows that were being sold I was soaking wet. But I had them, and I was the happiest person in the world. I was finally going to see them live.
A few days later they announced a third show, but at the expensive price of $6.50 a ticket, I didn't have any money left. But I was still happy, I was going to two.

The night of July 20th my friend and I were sitting in the back of the arena in the second level. We didn't want to stay there, and during Stevie Wonder's set we hatched a plan. At the end of his set we would try to get closer. And boy did we.
By the time the lights went out for the Stones I was standing in front of the stage between Keith and Bill. Right in front of James Karnbach as I would later find out.
It was like the "Blues Brothers" movie for me when John Belushi sees the light at the church. Between Rocks Off and Gimme Shelter I saw the same light. I'll never forget that feeling.
The next day we figured why not go down and hang out at the show. Back behind the Spectrum was the ramp that went into the basement where the dressing rooms were. We sat on the wall and started having a conversation with a small black man dressed to the nines. His name was Stan. It seems Stan worked the stage security for the tour. He took a liking to me and my friend. Then another tall black guy joined the conversation, his name was Ollie. The four of us had a great time talking, drinking and passing a joint I had brought around. After a while Ollie had to go back inside for some work he had to do, but right before he left I raised my camera and said, "hey Ollie, how about a smile", and this is what I got.

A few minutes after Ollie left Stan pulled 2 tickets out of the inside of his jacket pocket and asked us if we wanted them. Well that was a silly question. My friends girlfriend was with us and after a little discussion my buddy decided to stay outside talking with Stan while his girl and I went in to see the show.
The seats were not the best, but instead of dragging her down to the floor we stayed in the seats and watched the show.
When the show was over we went back to the parking lot to hang out with Stan and just as I was crossing in front of the ramp coming out of the dressing rooms a car almost hit me. As I was backing up I noticed a face in the back window looking at me........Charlie. He gave me a smile and a wave, and he was gone.
We hung out with Stan for a few more minutes, but before he had to go he leaned over to my friend and I and asked us another silly question. Would we like to go up in the hotel and meet the Boys? He told us to meet him in the lobby at a certain time and bid farewell.
But that's another story.
For the evening show on the 21st my friend and I did the same thing as the night before, and wound up right in front of Keith.
I've seen many shows since 1972, and had some very good luck. I had the good fortune of being in front again in 1975 at the Spectrum, in front for the 1981 shows at JFK Stadium, eating dinner with the crew back stage in Chicago opening night, standing in front of Keith at the "10 Spot" show in NY, making friends with Freddy Sessler and doing lines with him at The Palace in NY, getting better seats then Tony Soprano for the HBO show at the Garden in '03, high-fiving Mick at the Voodoo Crew show at the Troc in Philly, and much, much more.
But I'll never forget "the light" in 1972.

Wonderful story... great show WE saw, eh?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 1, 2012 00:13

pretty funny when people saw they only say the Stones once or twice.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: October 1, 2012 00:21

Although not a Stones show, when Jagger skipped on stage at Ronnie's gig in 2005 and they did Dance Part 1, I nearly died.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: October 1, 2012 02:43

schillid
Wonderful story... great show WE saw, eh?

We sure did schillid, and Philly Special is still the most played boot in my house.
I still wish I saw them in '69 though.
BTW, until my Pop died, I busted his balls about not letting me go. We always had a good laugh over that.

As far as the hotel story goes, we did meet Stan in the lobby that night.
We were just about to walk to the elevator when he noticed the camera my buddy was carrying and said "sorry but the camera can't come upstairs".
I pleaded with my friend to ditch it in the trash or give it to the guy at the desk. but he insisted on walking it back to the car a few blocks away. Jeez, it was only a lousy "Instamatic" to boot.
Well, by the time we got back Stan was gone and he never returned to the lobby.

So not only did I get a chance to bust my Father's balls, I'm still busting my buddy's too. And he still has many years to go hopefully.
Because I'm still not done with him!!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 1, 2012 02:58

Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 03:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 1, 2012 06:11

Columbus '99 or Little Rock '06. Can't decide.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 1, 2012 21:53

I find this kind of things very hard to do.
What makes a good concert great and/ or unforgettable?! Its mostly very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

After many years one tends to remember more the general atmosphere and surroundings than the original gig/music.

My first Stones gig was in 1970, but to be honest I have only very little memories of it.(In fact quite a lot about the circumstances but not so much about the music played).

As a young guy I did some work for the promoter (completly different times then).

So I saw some 73 shows and even more in 76. Although I very much like and cherish the Taylor years I don't have that deep memories from 73 either. I know some gigs were very good and I remember special moments and experiences but still nothing really standing out.

Funnily - although more of a Taylor man - some 76 concerts had lasting impressions on me: Dortmund june 76, Frankfurt, Den Haag (and Kiel for other reasons!)come to mind.

From the many later shows since 82 (and I've been to every tour), a great impression left -of all tours - a Steel Wheels show in Cologne.I remember both me and my sadly faded woman having goose flesh and it gave us the creeps when Jagger entered that stage.I still didn't work out what made these shows so special but it was just great.

Other nice moments occured f.i. on a 82 Frankfurt gig (one of the few not in a stadium),some 95 shows, 97 Bremen wasn't bad and 2003 Munich - both Circus Krone and Olympiahall gigs.

Some others like the Shep. Bush club concert weren't that good to me.
What quite often happened to me was that I very much liked parts of a certain show but not the whole event.
But I'm sure I forgot a lot. If I'd dig deeper I'd find others for shure . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 21:59 by CousinC.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 2, 2012 00:54

No Security opening night in Oakland,front row.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 2, 2012 00:57

Tucson 1978. Linda Rondstadt in hot pants.

Date: October 2, 2012 00:57

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but in this thread two pretty obscure shows have been mentioned; witnessed by members here.
Chacho saw Denver '72. The evening show (the 'actual' show) has not been well documented. There was a matinee show added, and from what I have seen there is more known about that one.
But even more obscure is Auburn '69. Seen by deeppurple. It would be great to find out more about it.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 2, 2012 02:20

My very 1st Rolling Stones concert in June 1990 in my home town. I was able to stand in the 1st row after 30 - 40 minutes show start!!!

Posted by: SaigonVoodoo ()
Date: October 2, 2012 02:47

For me, the most stunning locale was Hong Kong. The single best? My first in Greensboro, NC 31 July 1975. That's when I lost my Stones cherry smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-02 02:48 by SaigonVoodoo.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: October 2, 2012 02:50

Did anyone attend the matinee show at San Diego in 69 that was alleged to of taken place on the 11th before the Stones flew to Phoenix that evening?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 2, 2012 06:18

Thank you all kindly. I got a really good Rolling Stones buzz reading this thread.

Probably my best show was at the Rose Garden arena in Portland Oregon in 1997. I went both nights, the first night was the best. There was a total party atmosphere and the B stage was covered in ladies underwear. Americans know how to party.

I was on a business trip in San Jose Ca, to work a trade show. On the spur of the moment I cashed in most of my frequent flyer points and booked a return flight to Portland. I got a hotel downtown and took a taxi to the arena and then mulled around to buy tickets. So I was on a mission and it all simply unfolded like it was supposed to happen.

Beyond that, I remember for Steel Wheels they really got YCAGWYW nailed, During the chorus with the backing voclals and the lighting and all the new fangled stuff, it was intense enough to take your breath away - just the chorus.

MileHigh

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 2, 2012 07:29

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but in this thread two pretty obscure shows have been mentioned; witnessed by members here.
Chacho saw Denver '72. The evening show (the 'actual' show) has not been well documented. There was a matinee show added, and from what I have seen there is more known about that one.
But even more obscure is Auburn '69. Seen by deeppurple. It would be great to find out more about it.

All I can remember about the 1972 Denver Coliseum show is that it was fantastic, probably the best concert of my life out of perhaps 60 concerts. We had 14th row center seats, and it was definitely an afternoon show. I do not know if it was the 1st or 2nd afternoon show.

Speaking of Colorado, the Nov 7, 1969 show in Fort Collins, Colorado has got to be a pretty obscure one also. However my seats were not that good, and Moby Auditorium (gym) is not known for good acoustics. But still the Fort Collins 1969 show is what turned me into life long Stones fan.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:06

stonesdan60

1978 - JFK Stadium: First Stones show. Great to finally see them but they looked like ants and the PA wasn't very powerful. Still a fun day.

The PA wasn't powerful? Really? First I've heard of that. Interesting,

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:08

71Tele

Don't know if I'd want to see her in hot pants nowadays.
She was a good-looker back then, though.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: October 2, 2012 13:42

tomk
stonesdan60

1978 - JFK Stadium: First Stones show. Great to finally see them but they looked like ants and the PA wasn't very powerful. Still a fun day.

The PA wasn't powerful? Really? First I've heard of that. Interesting,

Well - Put it this way. Compared to todays PA technology, the sound wasn't nearly as good. Powerful? Well, for 1978, I suppose it was fairly powerful for the fact that we could hear them at all and tell what they were playing from a vantage point so far away the Stones looked tiny even through binoculars. More recently, I had seats much farther away and the sound was clear and loud enough to rattle my spine. Thus, I should've put my remark in context a bit better. Bottom line: Live sound in 2005-6 had come a long way from 1978.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: October 2, 2012 13:45

tomk
71Tele

Don't know if I'd want to see her in hot pants nowadays.
She was a good-looker back then, though.

Ah - Linda...the stuff of male teenage fantasies back then. Kind of tough to see current pictures of her but let's be fair. I was 18 in 1978 and I suppose I look like hell by comparison today. sad smiley

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: October 2, 2012 14:00

Circus Krone 2003
Vredenberg 2003

John Nicholls

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 2, 2012 14:56

Aug 4, 1990, Gothenburg, Sweden. My 1st Stones concert, Bill in the band, I was near the stage, Keith sang both of my absolute favorite songs of his (Before They... and Happy).

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 2, 2012 17:13

2 shows....1st- Giants Stadium, August 15 1994. A really great night, then Madison Square Garden, January 18(?),2003...Monkey Man was perfect, great and you knew it, it made Live Licks with no overdubs. A version of Rambler that came very close to Ya-Yas.

Those were my two best shows out of 13 I have seen.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home