Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Which was the SINGLE BEST Stones Concert That YOU ATTENDED ?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 28, 2012 22:33

Re the LA Forum '69 show the entire band was mesmerizing -- not just Keith.
Did they have something to prove? Only that they were proud of their music and excited about doing their most important tour to date.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 29, 2012 07:13

Anaheim 1999 - I caught a night when Charlie blew the roof off the dump.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: September 29, 2012 09:23

September 9, 2003 Point Theatre Dublin...

Great because it's the smallest venue I've seen them. Apart from that I've seen them at Wembley Stadium, Wembley Arena and the Olympic Stadium in Sydney.
But the gig at the Point was great. CYHMK was cool. Pretty much the entire celebrity set of Ireland was there, we spotted loads of them in there including the very hot Andrea Corr. But the highlight to me was we'd been talking to these 2 German guys. They had been following the Stones round and seen a number of gigs, and when it was Keith's turn to sing they were hoping to hear something other than Slipping Away. Anyway when it was Keith's turn he flubbed his way through a bit of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary, and then sure enough the intro to Slipping Away starts..all I could hear above the music was these two German guys go "ARGH SCHEIßE!!!!!" in unison, it was hilarious

Date: September 29, 2012 10:07

12 years old in Philly 78. Was the best adventure
New Orleans 81 was almost as fun.
best shows were Passaic 78 and Fox 81. DC 94

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: September 29, 2012 10:54

Tie between Memphis Pyramid, 8th April 1999

(saw them at Wembley a few months later and it felt like a different band! Still great though)

and Enmore Theatre Sydney 2003.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:06

Mathijs
Olympia, Paris, 2003.

Mathijs

Grrr, I can't believe it!!!
I remember your unfair report from the time.
The set list was disapointing, Hand of fate was the worst version ever, No Expectations was a waste of time, you were almost sleeping during Love Train ...

Posted by: charlie62 ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:12

Wembley Arena, 29 August 2003, stunning

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:38

marclaff
Mathijs
Olympia, Paris, 2003.

Mathijs

The set list was disapointing, Hand of fate was the worst version ever, No Expectations was a waste of time, you were almost sleeping during Love Train ...

Your memory is wrong. Two of the best shows I have seen:

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

In my memory Olympia was better musically (especially the set list), but Vredenburg was just one big explosion of energy from the crowd that really got the Stones rocking.

The show that I thought was dissapointing:

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:39

Granby Halls Leicester UK May 1976
Followed by Knebworth House Aug 1976

Then I didn't see them for 23 years!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:45

Just read the posts and yes I was at the O2 Aug 26th 2007 so I have to add that in 3rd place but only if it turns out to be the last one. O2 holds 23000 but I wonder how many '000's will be saying they were at the Stones last gig?

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: September 29, 2012 13:15

No no, we talk about the same review.
Ronnie too drunk (or too high) to play
SMU out of tune
LWM with a mistake
Heartbreaker too slow
NE : no more sound for Ronnie...

Date: September 29, 2012 15:05

marclaff
SMU out of tune
LWM with a mistake
Heartbreaker too slow

Can you actually read?

Mathijs

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 29, 2012 17:14

marclaff
SMU out of tune
LWM with a mistake
Heartbreaker too slow

The guy makes up crap all the time. he wasn't even there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-29 17:15 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: September 29, 2012 17:28

What I find amazing about this thread that yes - there are several members who witnessed 69, 72, 73, 75 FIRST-hand!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 29, 2012 18:43

Palace Revolution 2000
What I find amazing about this thread that yes - there are several members who witnessed 69, 72, 73, 75 FIRST-hand!

I would've killed to have witnessed those tours. Alas, in 1969 I was only 9...so....Didn't see them till '78. Still got to see alot of great shows over the years.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 29, 2012 18:56

Mathijs
marclaff
Mathijs
Olympia, Paris, 2003.

Mathijs

Did you attend all club/theatre shows 2003 Mathijs?

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

In my memory Olympia was better musically (especially the set list), but Vredenburg was just one big explosion of energy from the crowd that really got the Stones rocking.

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Date: September 29, 2012 21:31

JumpinJeppeFlash
Did you attend all club/theatre shows 2003 Mathijs?

No, I missed the Cirkus in Stockholm.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 29, 2012 21:38

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 12:56 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2012 23:21

Palace Revolution 2000, LOVED the way you put it -- "was the best adventure."

That's certainly how I look back on numerous bands and concerts. Certainly, the Stones concerts 1969-1972 were momentuous to young kids -- and from the sounds of the audience to everyone else-- and never to be forgotten.

Thank you, EriK, for your usual succinct post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-29 23:24 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 29, 2012 23:32

To draw some conclusions here: Seems like the 2003 arena/club tour is a favourite among many fans here, myself included. Looks like they did something right there!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 30, 2012 00:41

I would also say it's a toss up..mine is a three-way tie. First would be my very first Stones show, July 19, 1972, Boston Garden. EXILE revealed, just jaw-dropping, spine-tingling in every way. Second would be Buffalo, August 8, 1975. This was the last show on the North American leg of the tour and there were 100,000 of us at Rich Stadium. The Outlaws and Bobby Womack opened the show, I heard " Wild Horses" AND " Angie" and the band was on fire!! Last but not least would be April 20, 1998 in Montreal. Completely out of my mind with excitement. I had met Mick in the hotel bar earlier that day, gave him a present ( an enormous Union Jack flag!) and he promised he's look for me that night...I had a third row center seat..he spotted me, and danced over, lifted up his shirt, wiggled and smiled at me!! Straight to Heaven I went!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2012 03:03

the last one...Nov 2006 in Vancouver. Great show. Most memorable moment for me personally was standing as the show was starting, floor seats, 13th row or something, explosion, flash of light, JJF riff's and my wife dropping her beer on my foot all at the same time.

I guess she was caught off guard.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 30, 2012 03:35

Palace Revolution 2000

Yes a lot of us are . . . well, middle age! I actually also saw them in '66 at the Hollywood Bowl but the '69 Forum show is still my favorite.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:24

Listed in order of greatness.

1. Friday, June 16, 1972: Denver Colliseum, Denver, Colorado
2. Sunday, July 6, 1975: Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas
3. Friday, Nov 7, 1969: Moby Gym, Fort Collins, Colorado
4. Saturday, Sept 26, 1981: Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:39

My Stones story starts in 1967. After getting swept up in the Beatles fever in 1964, then moving on to The Beach Boys by 1965, my musical tastes grew as i was and by 1967 after getting a Stones primer from one of the 'older' guys in the neighborhood, I was hooked.
By 1969 I wanted to see them live at the Spectrum. But at 15 years old my Father had other plans. His opinion was he didn't want me hanging at the Spectrum with a bunch of " pot smoking hippies", his words. If I went, he also told me I was moving out, "my house, my rules."
At 15 I decided I really wasn't ready to live on my own just yet.
So I waited..
By 1972 I was ready. A friend and I slept out at the Spectrum parking lot the night before tickets went on sale. In the morning it was crazy. I remember getting stuck between the ticket windows in the mad rush, and by the time I got to the window and got my tickets for the 2 shows that were being sold I was soaking wet. But I had them, and I was the happiest person in the world. I was finally going to see them live.
A few days later they announced a third show, but at the expensive price of $6.50 a ticket, I didn't have any money left. But I was still happy, I was going to two.

The night of July 20th my friend and I were sitting in the back of the arena in the second level. We didn't want to stay there, and during Stevie Wonder's set we hatched a plan. At the end of his set we would try to get closer. And boy did we.
By the time the lights went out for the Stones I was standing in front of the stage between Keith and Bill. Right in front of James Karnbach as I would later find out.
It was like the "Blues Brothers" movie for me when John Belushi sees the light at the church. Between Rocks Off and Gimme Shelter I saw the same light. I'll never forget that feeling.
The next day we figured why not go down and hang out at the show. Back behind the Spectrum was the ramp that went into the basement where the dressing rooms were. We sat on the wall and started having a conversation with a small black man dressed to the nines. His name was Stan. It seems Stan worked the stage security for the tour. He took a liking to me and my friend. Then another tall black guy joined the conversation, his name was Ollie. The four of us had a great time talking, drinking and passing a joint I had brought around. After a while Ollie had to go back inside for some work he had to do, but right before he left I raised my camera and said, "hey Ollie, how about a smile", and this is what I got.

A few minutes after Ollie left Stan pulled 2 tickets out of the inside of his jacket pocket and asked us if we wanted them. Well that was a silly question. My friends girlfriend was with us and after a little discussion my buddy decided to stay outside talking with Stan while his girl and I went in to see the show.
The seats were not the best, but instead of dragging her down to the floor we stayed in the seats and watched the show.
When the show was over we went back to the parking lot to hang out with Stan and just as I was crossing in front of the ramp coming out of the dressing rooms a car almost hit me. As I was backing up I noticed a face in the back window looking at me........Charlie. He gave me a smile and a wave, and he was gone.
We hung out with Stan for a few more minutes, but before he had to go he leaned over to my friend and I and asked us another silly question. Would we like to go up in the hotel and meet the Boys? He told us to meet him in the lobby at a certain time and bid farewell.
But that's another story.
For the evening show on the 21st my friend and I did the same thing as the night before, and wound up right in front of Keith.
I've seen many shows since 1972, and had some very good luck. I had the good fortune of being in front again in 1975 at the Spectrum, in front for the 1981 shows at JFK Stadium, eating dinner with the crew back stage in Chicago opening night, standing in front of Keith at the "10 Spot" show in NY, making friends with Freddy Sessler and doing lines with him at The Palace in NY, getting better seats then Tony Soprano for the HBO show at the Garden in '03, high-fiving Mick at the Voodoo Crew show at the Troc in Philly, and much, much more.
But I'll never forget "the light" in 1972.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:49

lucifrshmr
My Stones story starts in 1967. After getting swept up in the Beatles fever in 1964, then moving on to The Beach Boys by 1965, my musical tastes grew as i was and by 1967 after getting a Stones primer from one of the 'older' guys in the neighborhood, I was hooked.
By 1969 I wanted to see them live at the Spectrum. But at 15 years old my Father had other plans. His opinion was he didn't want me hanging at the Spectrum with a bunch of " pot smoking hippies", his words. If I went, he also told me I was moving out, "my house, my rules."
At 15 I decided I really wasn't ready to live on my own just yet.
So I waited..
By 1972 I was ready. A friend and I slept out at the Spectrum parking lot the night before tickets went on sale. In the morning it was crazy. I remember getting stuck between the ticket windows in the mad rush, and by the time I got to the window and got my tickets for the 2 shows that were being sold I was soaking wet. But I had them, and I was the happiest person in the world. I was finally going to see them live.
A few days later they announced a third show, but at the expensive price of $6.50 a ticket, I didn't have any money left. But I was still happy, I was going to two.

The night of July 20th my friend and I were sitting in the back of the arena in the second level. We didn't want to stay there, and during Stevie Wonder's set we hatched a plan. At the end of his set we would try to get closer. And boy did we.
By the time the lights went out for the Stones I was standing in front of the stage between Keith and Bill. Right in front of James Karnbach as I would later find out.
It was like the "Blues Brothers" movie for me when John Belushi sees the light at the church. Between Rocks Off and Gimme Shelter I saw the same light. I'll never forget that feeling.
The next day we figured why not go down and hang out at the show. Back behind the Spectrum was the ramp that went into the basement where the dressing rooms were. We sat on the wall and started having a conversation with a small black man dressed to the nines. His name was Stan. It seems Stan worked the stage security for the tour. He took a liking to me and my friend. Then another tall black guy joined the conversation, his name was Ollie. The four of us had a great time talking, drinking and passing a joint I had brought around. After a while Ollie had to go back inside for some work he had to do, but right before he left I raised my camera and said, "hey Ollie, how about a smile", and this is what I got.

A few minutes after Ollie left Stan pulled 2 tickets out of the inside of his jacket pocket and asked us if we wanted them. Well that was a silly question. My friends girlfriend was with us and after a little discussion my buddy decided to stay outside talking with Stan while his girl and I went in to see the show.
The seats were not the best, but instead of dragging her down to the floor we stayed in the seats and watched the show.
When the show was over we went back to the parking lot to hang out with Stan and just as I was crossing in front of the ramp coming out of the dressing rooms a car almost hit me. As I was backing up I noticed a face in the back window looking at me........Charlie. He gave me a smile and a wave, and he was gone.
We hung out with Stan for a few more minutes, but before he had to go he leaned over to my friend and I and asked us another silly question. Would we like to go up in the hotel and meet the Boys? He told us to meet him in the lobby at a certain time and bid farewell.
But that's another story.
For the evening show on the 21st my friend and I did the same thing as the night before, and wound up right in front of Keith.
I've seen many shows since 1972, and had some very good luck. I had the good fortune of being in front again in 1975 at the Spectrum, in front for the 1981 shows at JFK Stadium, eating dinner with the crew back stage in Chicago opening night, standing in front of Keith at the "10 Spot" show in NY, making friends with Freddy Sessler and doing lines with him at The Palace in NY, getting better seats then Tony Soprano for the HBO show at the Garden in '03, high-fiving Mick at the Voodoo Crew show at the Troc in Philly, and much, much more.
But I'll never forget "the light" in 1972.

That is a great story(s)... and pictures/stubs.. thanks for sharing... someday let us know how it went at the hotel.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 30, 2012 16:09

Best in order, which is hard:

2005 - Giants Stadium: Best overall show in terms of seating, sound, and top-notch performance.

2006 - Giants Stadium: Another great performance, but far away seats, which didn't hamper a great, loud sound mix. Sway & MR were highlights.

1981 - JFK Stadium: Great in terms of excitement level and party vibe, right in front of the stage. Stones were in very ragged form but it was a lot of fun.

2002 - Giants Stadium: An overall pleasing greatist hits set, well played but observed from the nosebleed seats.

1978 - JFK Stadium: First Stones show. Great to finally see them but they looked like ants and the PA wasn't very powerful. Still a fun day.

Date: September 30, 2012 16:30

Mathijs
marclaff
Mathijs
Olympia, Paris, 2003.

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Wow! Excellent scathing review of the show Mathijs! So Keith's coconut tree injection really did not change anything.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: September 30, 2012 16:32

Auburn Alabama '69. What I saw that night changed my world.

Tampa '99. Everything. Great opening..set-list and the band played like they were auctioning for a contact!

Atlanta '02. The guys were having a great time, Their performance on the B-stage was worth the cost and the trip. They stomped it into the field of the stadium!

Memphis '05.This one is because of where I was seated. Over Ronnie. I could see everything that when on back-stage.Seeing the Stones walk up the stairs and wait to take the stage and all that went on the rest of the show was as great as watching the front. I could not have asked for anything better than being down behind the amps.

Date: September 30, 2012 16:36

I've seen them three times. The Steel Wheels show was the best.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home