Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What does a potential "last" tour mean to you, in your gut!
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 27, 2012 15:33

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
TeddyB1018
You may all be surprised about the extent of the Stones' touring plans.

THANK YOU KINDLY!!

Now, I mean NO OFFENSE to anyone here but I feel that it's really unkind and out of place for any of us (me included) to make comments about the health of any Stone.

For example, five years ago I also was suffering terribly from osteoarthritis. Since then, thanks to traditional Western Medicine combined with alternative therapies I'm doing well and I'm fine! Beter than ever even!!

Please.....let's not attract negative energy by talking about the "condition any Stone was in five years ago".

Thanks,
CE smiling smiley

Talking about how you think the condition coud be of 'someone' who is now 68 years old and how he played five or six years ago when he was 62 and 63 and how he plays now (and what you believe of his capabilities could be in the near future), all of this based on watching the man walk and talk and play through the years does not mean you are attracting or want to attract negative energy...that's not the same...it's just an honest impression you give. For me: I don't mind sharing my impressions/opinions/interpretations and I'm not responsible for anyone who wants to extract negative energy out of that.
By the way; nice to hear someone cured from osteoarthritis like that. Good for you! thumbs up

OK, but just two things here:

1. I'm not "cured" of osteoarthritis (I've had it since childhood). I'm merely able to function - walk, dance, jump, whatever better as long as I continue with the Western Medicines and the alternative therapies.

2. All of us are aging. Many people on this site (just take a look at some of the negative threads about *someone*'s playing ability) seem to THRIVE on tossing out negative energy. I wasn't merely directing my post at you! That said, who are we (anyone of us) to try to determine a person's health by watching the way they walk/talk/play/dance/sing/etc.? We are NOT that person's doctor(s). Other facters come into play in a person's life - the health and well-being of one's spouse and one's children/the death of a beloved parent......on and on. I don't think "health" is merely a physical thing. It also depends on what's going on mentally/psychologically in a person's life.

OK, I'll shut the f*&k up now!

smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2012 15:57

Doxa
TeddyB1018

Wow!

- Doxa
My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 27, 2012 16:06

Cocaine Eyes
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
TeddyB1018

THANK YOU KINDLY!!

Now, I mean NO OFFENSE to anyone here but I feel that it's really unkind and out of place for any of us (me included) to make comments about the health of any Stone.

For example, five years ago I also was suffering terribly from osteoarthritis. Since then, thanks to traditional Western Medicine combined with alternative therapies I'm doing well and I'm fine! Beter than ever even!!

Please.....let's not attract negative energy by talking about the "condition any Stone was in five years ago".

Thanks,
CE smiling smiley

Talking about how you think the condition coud be of 'someone' who is now 68 years old and how he played five or six years ago when he was 62 and 63 and how he plays now (and what you believe of his capabilities could be in the near future), all of this based on watching the man walk and talk and play through the years does not mean you are attracting or want to attract negative energy...that's not the same...it's just an honest impression you give. For me: I don't mind sharing my impressions/opinions/interpretations and I'm not responsible for anyone who wants to extract negative energy out of that.
By the way; nice to hear someone cured from osteoarthritis like that. Good for you! thumbs up

OK, but just two things here:

1. I'm not "cured" of osteoarthritis (I've had it since childhood). I'm merely able to function - walk, dance, jump, whatever better as long as I continue with the Western Medicines and the alternative therapies.

2. All of us are aging. Many people on this site (just take a look at some of the negative threads about *someone*'s playing ability) seem to THRIVE on tossing out negative energy. I wasn't merely directing my post at you! That said, who are we (anyone of us) to try to determine a person's health by watching the way they walk/talk/play/dance/sing/etc.? We are NOT that person's doctor(s). Other facters come into play in a person's life - the health and well-being of one's spouse and one's children/the death of a beloved parent......on and on. I don't think "health" is merely a physical thing. It also depends on what's going on mentally/psychologically in a person's life.

OK, I'll shut the f*&k up now!

smoking smiley

I wasn't merely directing my post at you!
I know. Probably because I feel your positive energy smiling smiley and I mean that.
That said, with his 'official' condition in mind I think giving opinions on comparing his way of playing in 2006/2007 with how he is playing now is not the same as "to determine a person's health". I agree we should not gossip or suggest ridiculous things that are not there...but putting the available information in the right order, watching the video's and give our opinion about that is just trying to get a perspective of what could or could not happen in the near future... There isn't anything else left to do right now eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2012 16:24

If it will be a Bigger Bang tour reloaded, it would be superfluous in my opinion. All what we would have would be a further decline in the instrumental competencies of Keith I fear. Ronnie would have to manage the bigger part of guitar work as he did on the second leg of the Bigger Bang tour. Although Ronnie's guitar work is improved in the last years again it would be a difficult task for him, because he is far away from his peak in the seventies. Meanwhile it is a little bit boring, too, to hear the 20th live version of Miss You and so on. I wish they does a downstripped tour focussing on their blues roots. For example: There is a two minute take of a blues session on stage one day before the Beacon theatre desaster which is preserved on lousy Shine a Light. During this session which you can see on You Tube the band is on top and shines really in its greatness ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 16:26 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: rockenrohl ()
Date: September 27, 2012 16:36

The last Rolling Stones concert I've seen was on August 11 2007 in Lausanne, Switzerland - I think their seventh last concert or something up to now.

I remember how before the concert, full of mixed emotions, I've been thinking 'oh well, another one of these Bigger Bang shows, I don't care too much for that' etc. (I've seen them twice before on the same tour).

But then, 5 meters from the small stage, I was overwhelmed - because they were still rocking hard, and I still loved every second of it. All of a sudden I felt sad because I knew that this really may be the last time (for me at least).

So for me - in my gut, to answer your question - I feel that I would be really, really happy to see them again, because I already had the feeling of maybe never seeing them play live again. And then I'll probably get sad again while they play, but knowing that it is really the last goodbye would probably help.

Turning round, turning round
I should have known it was a one horse town

Date: September 27, 2012 16:41

rockenrohl
The last Rolling Stones concert I've seen was on August 11 2007 in Lausanne, Switzerland - I think their seventh last concert or something up to now.

I remember how before the concert, full of mixed emotions, I've been thinking 'oh well, another one of these Bigger Bang shows, I don't care too much for that' etc. (I've seen them twice before on the same tour).

But then, 5 meters from the small stage, I was overwhelmed - because they were still rocking hard, and I still loved every second of it. All of a sudden I felt sad because I knew that this really may be the last time (for me at least).

So for me - in my gut, to answer your question - I feel that I would be really, really happy to see them again, because I already had the feeling of maybe never seeing them play live again. And then I'll probably get sad again while they play, but knowing that it is really the last goodbye would probably help.

My sentiments exactly! thumbs up

Date: September 27, 2012 17:49

RobertJohnson
If it will be a Bigger Bang tour reloaded, it would be superfluous in my opinion. All what we would have would be a further decline in the instrumental competencies of Keith I fear. Ronnie would have to manage the bigger part of guitar work as he did on the second leg of the Bigger Bang tour. Although Ronnie's guitar work is improved in the last years again it would be a difficult task for him, because he is far away from his peak in the seventies. Meanwhile it is a little bit boring, too, to hear the 20th live version of Miss You and so on. I wish they does a downstripped tour focussing on their blues roots. For example: There is a two minute take of a blues session on stage one day before the Beacon theatre desaster which is preserved on lousy Shine a Light. During this session which you can see on You Tube the band is on top and shines really in its greatness ...

I agree. And thanks for posting the video in the other thread!
Yeah. With songs like The Storm...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2012 18:40

Dreamer
RobertJohnson

I agree. And thanks for posting the video in the other thread!
Yeah. With songs like The Storm...

... a mix of traditionals like some Patton, Johnson, Son House and so on tunes and of own contributions to the Blues history like Black Limo, Cook, Cook Blues, @#$%& and last but not least the fantastic "Some People Say" on the deluxe edition of Some Girls ... It is a dream ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 18:40 by RobertJohnson.

Date: September 27, 2012 18:55

Well Mr. Johnson your dreams sure are nice!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 27, 2012 19:00

Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Your hunch and feelings aside, Cocaine Eyes, would you care to elaborate why you don't think they will play ever again?

OK. The Stones have run their course, done their time, given years and years of music/tours/recordings/surprise gigs/small gigs......they've done it all.

I always knew they wouldn't pull something like The Who. The Who have had how many "final shows" now? It starts to look silly.

Speaking of looking silly - Charlie Watts said (paraphrasing) 'We'll look silly doing this at age 70'.

I doubt the Stones want to go out in a blaze of glory. In spite of what Pete Townsend said to them, I think they'd rather retire gracefully and quietly.

They have all these movies/archive releases/photo gallery shows......lots of "nice things" to keep the fans satisfied for 50 years of music.

And also speaking of the fans - the Stones KNOW that the die-hards aren't getting any younger either. They know the economy (in the USA and Canada) is not good. They know we all have worked hard at our various careers and perhaps we want to put our money towards a nice retirement of trips and relaxing things.

Did that help explain things? I hope so. These are not 'my feelings/hunches'. These are plain, hard facts.

I do think Jagger will continue to jump around somewhere (SNL, some small & contained places). Charlie will play in his jazz bands. Ronnie will.....well, be Ronnie. And Keith will continue to contribute to works by guys like Aaron Neville, etc.

But a huge Stones show complete with T-shirts for sale, pyrotechniques, the whole shebang......nah, it's not going to happen.

Now IF I'm mistaken......you guys can rip me to pieces and take me to task. I'd be happy to take that flak.

smoking smiley

Ha ha, no, your points are quite logical.

I would agreed with you if it wasn't for the Stones themselves were talking about shows + rehearsing and recording - Those are facts, too smiling smiley

Oh yes, those are facts as well. But are we sure we know what they were rehearsing for? Were they just 'rehearsing' in order to record the two new tunes for GRRR? Is someone going to hold a big do for them sometime in the near future and they feel obliged to play at that do? Will a famous person (Richard Branson for example) hold a huge, invitation-only thing where he'll salute them for 50 years of music and they feel obligated to play there?

There are many different scenarios for which they could have been 'rehearsing'. Are we really certain that there will be gigs for fans/ordinary people? Are we truly certain of anything right now?

You bring up some good points/questions.

Why do you think that Mick asked Chuck to pick out 50 songs before coming to France? Or was that just a rumor?

And if they were only recording 2 songs and doing no more, would Chuck and/or Darryl even be needed? Surely, they could record keyboards or bass themselves or get someone local.

Did you say you were connected to the band?

Date: September 27, 2012 19:11

2000 LYFH
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Your hunch and feelings aside, Cocaine Eyes, would you care to elaborate why you don't think they will play ever again?

OK. The Stones have run their course, done their time, given years and years of music/tours/recordings/surprise gigs/small gigs......they've done it all.

I always knew they wouldn't pull something like The Who. The Who have had how many "final shows" now? It starts to look silly.

Speaking of looking silly - Charlie Watts said (paraphrasing) 'We'll look silly doing this at age 70'.

I doubt the Stones want to go out in a blaze of glory. In spite of what Pete Townsend said to them, I think they'd rather retire gracefully and quietly.

They have all these movies/archive releases/photo gallery shows......lots of "nice things" to keep the fans satisfied for 50 years of music.

And also speaking of the fans - the Stones KNOW that the die-hards aren't getting any younger either. They know the economy (in the USA and Canada) is not good. They know we all have worked hard at our various careers and perhaps we want to put our money towards a nice retirement of trips and relaxing things.

Did that help explain things? I hope so. These are not 'my feelings/hunches'. These are plain, hard facts.

I do think Jagger will continue to jump around somewhere (SNL, some small & contained places). Charlie will play in his jazz bands. Ronnie will.....well, be Ronnie. And Keith will continue to contribute to works by guys like Aaron Neville, etc.

But a huge Stones show complete with T-shirts for sale, pyrotechniques, the whole shebang......nah, it's not going to happen.

Now IF I'm mistaken......you guys can rip me to pieces and take me to task. I'd be happy to take that flak.

smoking smiley

I would agreed with you if it wasn't for the Stones themselves were talking about shows + rehearsing and recording - Those are facts, too smiling smiley

Oh yes, those are facts as well. But are we sure we know what they were rehearsing for? Were they just 'rehearsing' in order to record the two new tunes for GRRR? Is someone going to hold a big do for them sometime in the near future and they feel obliged to play at that do? Will a famous person (Richard Branson for example) hold a huge, invitation-only thing where he'll salute them for 50 years of music and they feel obligated to play there?

There are many different scenarios for which they could have been 'rehearsing'. Are we really certain that there will be gigs for fans/ordinary people? Are we truly certain of anything right now?

Why do you think that Mick asked Chuck to pick out 50 songs before coming to France? Or was that just a rumor?

And if they were only recording 2 songs and doing no more, would Chuck and/or Darryl even be needed? Surely, they could record keyboards or bass themselves or get someone local.

Mick asked Chuck 20 or 30 songs not 50...
But it looks strange for just 2 songs calling Chuck and Darryl and rehearse 30 songs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they play one or two songs at the premiere of Crossfire Hurricane at the Odeon...

Date: September 27, 2012 19:13

Deleted by me, CE. Everything was answered above by Dreamer! Oooops.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 19:38 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 27, 2012 19:41

Cocaine Eyes
2000 LYFH
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman

smoking smiley

1.No, not a rumour - Chuck was asked by Mick to choose some songs.

2.Yes, they surely could record keyboards and bass themselves. But Chuck is (I hate this term!) the 'musical director' for the Stones.

3. Connected to the band? grinning smiley I highly doubt I ever came out and said that. smiling smiley (Were you asking me or were you asking Dreamer about that?)

smoking smiley

1) OK its not a rumor. After reading your opinion about why they probably would not tour again, I was just wondering why Mick would ask Chuck to come up with 50 (or what ever the number is) songs if all they were doing was putting down 2 "new" tracks.

2) Again, do they really need a musical director for 2 "new" songs. I think Mick likes Chuck handling that position while on tour (someone he can depend on). I actually have no problem with Chuck at all in anything he does - every band needs their own Chuck!

3) From the first page (maybe reading to much into your sentence and maybe thinking of someone else):

"This band has been with me through the good times and the bad times; Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have treated me kindly; their entourage has been kind and gracious to me".

Anyway, I do hope you are wrong, but you are probably right as far as a long tour and their future beyond the next 6 months...

Date: September 27, 2012 20:03

2000 LYFH
Cocaine Eyes
2000 LYFH
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman

smoking smiley

1.No, not a rumour - Chuck was asked by Mick to choose some songs.

2.Yes, they surely could record keyboards and bass themselves. But Chuck is (I hate this term!) the 'musical director' for the Stones.

3. Connected to the band? grinning smiley I highly doubt I ever came out and said that. smiling smiley (Were you asking me or were you asking Dreamer about that?)

smoking smiley

1) OK its not a rumor. After reading your opinion about why they probably would not tour again, I was just wondering why Mick would ask Chuck to come up with 50 (or what ever the number is) songs if all they were doing was putting down 2 "new" tracks.

2) Again, do they really need a musical director for 2 "new" songs. I think Mick likes Chuck handling that position while on tour (someone he can depend on). I actually have no problem with Chuck at all in anything he does - every band needs their own Chuck!

3) From the first page (maybe reading to much into your sentence and maybe thinking of someone else):

"This band has been with me through the good times and the bad times; Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have treated me kindly; their entourage has been kind and gracious to me".

Anyway, I do hope you are wrong, but you are probably right as far as a long tour and their future beyond the next 6 months...

OK, I'm back. Let me try to make this a bit more clear:

1. The info about 20 - 30 song choices came directly from Chuck Leavell. Mick does rely on him heavily to put together a song list. (That said, ALL Stones must 'sign off' on any play list before hitting the stage on any given night.) Having Chuck choose these songs would seem to contradict my feelings about whether or not they are planning to play live again. I sincerely hope I was wrong about what I said.

2. Well no - they shouldn't need a 'musical director' for simply two songs. But remember, Mick LIKES having Chuck on the scene. He's a balance, a softer force.

3. Quoting myself now: "This band has been with me through the good times and the bad times; Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have treated me kindly; their entourage has been kind and gracious to me".. That statement I made is very true indeed. I'm afraid that's all I/anyone should say about any 'connections'.

Added thought: Dreamer said that it's possible the Stones will play one-two songs at the premiere of Crossfire Hurricane. As time passes, I also am tending to agree with that notion.

Hope that clarified a few things. Sorry if any of this sounds vague. Please remember that as we speak things are in a very fluid situation.smiling smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 27, 2012 20:18

Okay, so I guess we can add Cocaine Eyes to the list of forumers with a Stones connection. Let's see, we have:
TeddyB1018
mick"I've seen the paperwork for the tour in 2010"scarey
and now Cocaine Eyes.

Anybody else know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows The Stones?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2012 20:27

I know lots of musicians. Surely one of them knows a guy who knows a guy who knows the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 20:48 by Koen.

Date: September 27, 2012 21:37

Koen
I know lots of musicians. Surely one of them knows a guy who knows a guy who knows the Stones.

Good for you!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 27, 2012 22:22

Doxa
TeddyB1018

Wow!

- Doxa

HAHAHA, good joke
and now i am getting a glass of wine.
jeroen

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 27, 2012 23:40

I also have connections....winking smiley Mick emailed me this morning. He said the Stones do having touring plans set but it's not what you think. They are touring cemetaries and so forth to pick out suitable burial places. Of course they will charge money for people to see their headstones.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 28, 2012 06:44

I know lots of guys who know the Stones, and guys who know guys who know the Stones. I don't post something unless it's good information. While plans are famously made to cause God to laugh, the Stones have a lot of plans to play live.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 28, 2012 13:45

TeddyB1018
I know lots of guys who know the Stones, and guys who know guys who know the Stones. I don't post something unless it's good information. While plans are famously made to cause God to laugh, the Stones have a lot of plans to play live.

I do hope you're right!

Date: September 28, 2012 13:50

You bring sunshine to a grey day, Teddy! Thanks thumbs up

Date: September 28, 2012 14:00

TeddyB1018

AGAIN, THANK YOU KINDLY!

I trust your info. I also trust my info, but as you said sometimes even God will laugh at *some* plans/info! I shall never laugh at the Stones plans.

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-28 14:01 by Cocaine Eyes.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home