Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Crossfire Hurricane Promo Film
Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: September 24, 2012 23:27

chuck killed the link after reading the negative threads about him. way to go . angry smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 24, 2012 23:50

Gazza
Dreamer
Justin
Lien
Thursday 18 October 2012
From 6.15pm BST
Running time: 150 minutes (approximately)

Oh hell yeah. Some "insider" a few months ago said that he knew someone working on the film and said it was going to be 90 minutes, at the most. Good to know that this will have enough time to tell a huge chunk of the band's history. This shall be gooood...

No. Running time 150 minutes is not correct.
It's 118 minutes...

Yep. 150 minutes has been mentioned as the running time of the movie premiere event, including the red carpet bit, etc.

I'm afraid that's not the 100% complete information that is available right now. That's just the info on rollingstones.com which says "The film will be broadcast live by satellite to cinemas from the London Film Festival on Thursday 18 October and include live coverage from the red carpet before the film screening begins."

But the other official info is this:

Production Information

Delivered by satellites Intelsat 905 and 1002
Running time 165 minutes (TBC)

So let's hope that means an extra 15 minutes of interviews with the guys on and around the red carpet!
Or something else...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 25, 2012 01:37

I think the film will just be on HBO in the USA before its inevitable dvd release. Too bad they are not showing it at least for one night in select USA cities.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2012 01:43

Must keep expectations low Must keep expectations low Must keep expectations low
Must keep expectations low Must keep expectations low Must keep expectations low

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 25, 2012 01:50

His Majesty
Must keep expectations low

Very wise, grasshopper. Keeping expectations low is a guarantee to avoid disappointment.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:03

Dreamer
Gazza
Dreamer
Justin
Lien
Thursday 18 October 2012
From 6.15pm BST
Running time: 150 minutes (approximately)

Oh hell yeah. Some "insider" a few months ago said that he knew someone working on the film and said it was going to be 90 minutes, at the most. Good to know that this will have enough time to tell a huge chunk of the band's history. This shall be gooood...

No. Running time 150 minutes is not correct.
It's 118 minutes...

Yep. 150 minutes has been mentioned as the running time of the movie premiere event, including the red carpet bit, etc.

I'm afraid that's not the 100% complete information that is available right now. That's just the info on rollingstones.com which says "The film will be broadcast live by satellite to cinemas from the London Film Festival on Thursday 18 October and include live coverage from the red carpet before the film screening begins."

But the other official info is this:

Production Information

Delivered by satellites Intelsat 905 and 1002
Running time 165 minutes (TBC)

So let's hope that means an extra 15 minutes of interviews with the guys on and around the red carpet!
Or something else...

The '150 minutes' I saw was (I think) on the more2screen or London Film Festival website (cant recall which) which included the red-carpet stuff but Id imagine estimating broadcast times for a live event can often be subject to change. Or guesswork.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 25, 2012 08:00

Erik_Snow
hbwriter
outside that telling, split second '73 cut in the blue jumpsuit - have we not seen every second thus far?

Looked like Frankfurt 09/30/73, but from a different angle than the Street Fighting Man clip we are familiar with[/quote]

nope - jagger's hair is shorter in this one- i say it might nicaragua show in La

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:49

I couldn't see it either.sad smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:59

hbwriter
Erik_Snow
hbwriter
outside that telling, split second '73 cut in the blue jumpsuit - have we not seen every second thus far?

Looked like Frankfurt 09/30/73, but from a different angle than the Street Fighting Man clip we are familiar with

nope - jagger's hair is shorter in this one- i say it might nicaragua show in La[/quote]

OK, thanks. Yes I could be wrong, I only got to see for 0,1 sec. When wanting to see again, and press pause, the video was gone.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: September 25, 2012 13:03

SOLD OUT
someone have buy ticket? Sici

[whatson.bfi.org.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 13:06 by Sici.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 25, 2012 14:04

This page says 165 minutes: [www.more2screen.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: September 25, 2012 15:08

The BBC are showing this in a few months.BBC 4 I think.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 25, 2012 15:10

His Majesty

A good advice.

I think the problem with two-plus hour document film is basically the same as making a 'greatest hits' collection for two disks. The story or the song list is pretty much fixed, and it is hard to find a new, interesting angle. They seem to hype over 'never-before-seen' material, and even new perspectives, but in the end those (if they really exist) need to be fitted to the already written story, emphazising some key moments in band's history. Will the key member have anything to add what they alraedy have said in many interviews, books, etc? Pretty hard to imagine that they dare to step too much out of the already written history (though I hope they do). The target audience, however, will not be the hardcore fan base, but a bigger one. This is not going to be an archive releaase.

I think the real challenge - at least from a fan's point of view - is to beat 25 X 5, which I think pretty much nails the 'official story' of the Stones. Surely they do that technologcally - and I guess with a bigger budget - but will it essentially add something to it? Is adding some recent studio jamming a similar function as that of the new studio tracks in GRRR! to make it more current and updated, and thereby more interesting?

But putting 50 years to 2 plus hours sounds a helluva project (I would say: a mission impossible). Was 25 X 5 some three hours or so?

I might sound skeptical, but I really hope that I will be positively surprised.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 15:13

I wonder if we'll see Bill at the premier

Date: September 25, 2012 15:19

25 x 5 was something like 105-107 minutes in its televised form, and about 130 minutes when released as a home video.

I can see the dilemma here. Theres all this talk of hours and hours of interviews done for the project and 80-90% of the footage being previously unseen (which I assume just means previously not commercially released) - so there's no way they can do that justice in a 2 hour movie.

I expect lots of tantalisingly excellent but ultimately frustratingly brief clips of songs.

I'm sure it'll be enjoyable though, but to get some perspective :

Ten years of the Beatles > Anthology > 8 discs > 11 and a half hours

Fifty years of the Rolling Stones > Crossfire Hurricane > 1 movie > 2 hours

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 25, 2012 15:23

Gazza

"offically" released videos are the main reason i started seeking out bootlegs in the 80's and 90's...

i imagine that this will be done very well...but the chances of us seeing things that we haven't seen already are slim...

Date: September 25, 2012 16:27

Doxa
His Majesty

A good advice.

I think the problem with two-plus hour document film is basically the same as making a 'greatest hits' collection for two disks. The story or the song list is pretty much fixed, and it is hard to find a new, interesting angle. They seem to hype over 'never-before-seen' material, and even new perspectives, but in the end those (if they really exist) need to be fitted to the already written story, emphazising some key moments in band's history. Will the key member have anything to add what they alraedy have said in many interviews, books, etc? Pretty hard to imagine that they dare to step too much out of the already written history (though I hope they do). The target audience, however, will not be the hardcore fan base, but a bigger one. This is not going to be an archive releaase.

I think the real challenge - at least from a fan's point of view - is to beat 25 X 5, which I think pretty much nails the 'official story' of the Stones. Surely they do that technologcally - and I guess with a bigger budget - but will it essentially add something to it? Is adding some recent studio jamming a similar function as that of the new studio tracks in GRRR! to make it more current and updated, and thereby more interesting?

But putting 50 years to 2 plus hours sounds a helluva project (I would say: a mission impossible). Was 25 X 5 some three hours or so?

- Doxa

25 X 5 was 128 minutes. Crossfire Hurricane is 2 (hours) minus (2 minutes): 118 minutes.
No, I don't think you're skeptical but a realist. It's not for us but for the market. They want to sell Grrr and want to make sure they sell enough tickets for the shows that will come.
So it will probably not have a ten minute in depth conversation with MT about the difference between their sound before, during and after the best guitar player in the RS.
In a way it's sad that they have a different truth to tell nowadays. Let's hope the new truth, the tour, will give us a chance to see them in a very good shape.

Date: September 25, 2012 16:54

Dreamer
Doxa
His Majesty

A good advice.

- Doxa

25 X 5 was 128 minutes. Crossfire Hurricane is 2 (hours) minus (2 minutes): 118 minutes.
No, I don't think you're skeptical but a realist. It's not for us but for the market. They want to sell Grrr and want to make sure they sell enough tickets for the shows that will come.
So it will probably not have a ten minute in depth conversation with MT about the difference between their sound before, during and after the best guitar player in the RS.
In a way it's sad that they have a different truth to tell nowadays. Let's hope the new truth, the tour, will give us a chance to see them in a very good shape.

Er, he hasn't quit yet thumbs up

Date: September 25, 2012 17:05

Gazza
25 x 5 was something like 105-107 minutes in its televised form, and about 130 minutes when released as a home video.

I can see the dilemma here. Theres all this talk of hours and hours of interviews done for the project and 80-90% of the footage being previously unseen (which I assume just means previously not commercially released) - so there's no way they can do that justice in a 2 hour movie.

I expect lots of tantalisingly excellent but ultimately frustratingly brief clips of songs.

I'm sure it'll be enjoyable though, but to get some perspective :

Very good perspective. Like Doxa you're a realist grinning smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 25, 2012 17:29

I hope there are not so much of those dreadful (later) interviews again.They just bore me to death these days.
I would like another/ harder narration angle. Away from middle of the road/whateverism . .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 25, 2012 17:52

Well they have to check the market, and they've probably found that there's no audience for a 20 episode documentary like The Beatles did with their Anthology. Also, it has always seemed to me like there's quite a bit of behind the scenes info/stories that The Stones don't want out.... ever. Who can blame them? The world is so stuck-up right now, and has been for quite a few years now. That alone leads me to think that while Crossfire Hurricane will offer up some new views on familiar topics, it will be the story we've heard before. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will be more than just "enjoyable".
And by the way: Just because The Beatles did something, doesn't mean The Stones should follow suit..... Right?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 25, 2012 18:49

This is going to be a story about the worlds longest living rock band. It can be done at 2 hours but also at 10, if they would.

I would personally be very satisfied, if they did an Anthology like documentary a la The Beatles. But it is also worth mentioning, that The Stones carrer is a lot different than The Beatles, plus they are still functioning as a group, which closes a lot of doors regarding inside information about buissness, contracts and so on.

The Beatles could talk openly about everything (though some issues were not), because they decased as a group many years ago. The Rolling Stones are still running. That's the difference.

Date: September 25, 2012 19:09

Blueranger
This is going to be a story about the worlds longest living rock band. It can be done at 2 hours but also at 10, if they would.

I would personally be very satisfied, if they did an Anthology like documentary a la The Beatles. But it is also worth mentioning, that The Stones carrer is a lot different than The Beatles, plus they are still functioning as a group, which closes a lot of doors regarding inside information about buissness, contracts and so on.

The Beatles could talk openly about everything (though some issues were not), because they decased as a group many years ago. The Rolling Stones are still running. That's the difference.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Date: September 25, 2012 19:19

This is a great example of why GRRR! is a horrible name, where as Crossfire Hurricane is much better:

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 25, 2012 19:30

This unofficial documentary was pretty nice:

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:43

Yeah, Let it bleed was really good. The Doro guys had done some Stones docus (+ videos) before. Mostly very good stuff.

Date: September 25, 2012 20:59

JumpingKentFlash
Well they have to check the market, and they've probably found that there's no audience for a 20 episode documentary like The Beatles did with their Anthology. Also, it has always seemed to me like there's quite a bit of behind the scenes info/stories that The Stones don't want out.... ever. Who can blame them? The world is so stuck-up right now, and has been for quite a few years now. That alone leads me to think that while Crossfire Hurricane will offer up some new views on familiar topics, it will be the story we've heard before. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will be more than just "enjoyable".
And by the way: Just because The Beatles did something, doesn't mean The Stones should follow suit..... Right?

It was five or six episodes on TV as I recall...and the DVD release extended it to eight discs.

The 'just because the Beatles did it' isn't really the point. A 50 year career of a legendary band merits more than a two hour documentary. Scorsese's Dylan documentary was two discs and about four hours. And that only covered a five year period (1961-66) where there was relatively little performance footage. The Who's career spanning documentaries covered about four discs.

The comparison with the Beatles one was to show how in depth one documentary of a legendary act was and how flimsy the Stones one is by comparison over a far longer period. Its even more frustrating because of the amount of extant footage of the band there actually is.

It's not a 'competition' - but is a good example of how it could and should have been done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 21:00 by Gazza.

Date: September 25, 2012 21:01

CousinC
Yeah, Let it bleed was really good. The Doro guys had done some Stones docus (+ videos) before. Mostly very good stuff.

Thats the best Stones documentary of the lot.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 25, 2012 21:28

For broadcast purposes maybe 150 minutes or thereabouts is correct. For hard core fans there should be a bonus disc on the DVD with full performances of clips not seen before across different eras. I always wondered why we didn't get a bonus disc of full performance clips for Gimme Shelter. And many of the performances in the Beatles Anthology were only clips from promo films that beg for an official release.

I don't know what the economics behind this are. You get the feeling that the Stones themselves don't think their history is all that deserving of the sort of treatment the Beatles and Dylan got. I think it is a strange insecurity. Maybe that sort of thing requires a depth that the members just don't want to deal with. I would hope at least that the home DVD would have hours of additional interviews. But the Stones have always been a little weird in that respect, not being very giving in extras on their DVDs. This could be one of the last great hurrahs for the DVD format.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 21:32

The trailer is now up on the Stones' official youtube channel!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home