Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Love Is Strong
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 25, 2012 19:35

Special song for me, maybe not the best Stones of all time, but it is one of those songs that I remember exactly where/when/how I first heard it. Sometimes paired associations to people and good times to song can....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 19:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 25, 2012 19:51

Good track. The only VL tunes I can listen to and enjoy now are LIS, the Worst and Thru and Thru. I think that the tunes Richards brought to the table in the late era were almost always better than the Jagger tunes. At least for my tastes.

The overt perverseness of many of Jagger's late era contributions were a real turn off for me.

"I go wild when I taste your taste" and "I wanna f your sweet ass" represent low points in the Stones canon, IMO.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:11

The sound is very murky and unclear on that MTV live take. Furthermore the songs starts to low for Mick, he can't handle those low notes at all. It kind of spoils the song from the get go.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:30

Doxa
Silver Dagger
The best Stones single since Undercover Of The Night. And what makes it so special is the menace inherent in that creeping, relentless beat.

This is certainly a tale from the south side of the city. It's what happens when uptown goes downtown, looking for cheap thrills perhaps with a gal from the other side of the tracks.

But equally it could also be the tale of someone off to score - you know those accounts of Keith going off to some New York brownstone to get his medicine especially the lines 'it got me hooked','my mind is ripped' 'it's more than just a dream'. Make of it what you want but it just sends out a message of sleaze and illicit activity.

While the lyrics conjure up a twilight world with potential danger in every shadow and footstep there's the wonderfully raw guitars that, for me at least, summon up that impending evil vibe found on Let It Bleed tracks such as Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler.

And then, when we're drawn into a 60s Stones vibe comes the absolute pay-off in Jagger's fantastic harmonica solo, straight out of Chess Studios. It's a killer cut.

Damn, I wish the track had been as great as this review!thumbs up

The difference in perception is while I wholeheartedly follow the paths you wonderfully describe here, to me it leaves a certain thin impression. That's to me is just "surface", but not really having the "substance", the real artistic drive to say something. So to me it sounds a bit 'fake', like the Stones trying to sound like the classic Stones used to be, giving that kind of 'retro' impression, but not really coming from their heart. More like a piece of craftwork than that of art.

- Doxa

Agree with Doxa
Love Is Strong sounded fresh the very first time, for me, then it quickly began to fade away. Anybody Seen My Baby had the opposite effect on me
Funny that none of those 2 songs worked live in concert; especially not during the first couple of months they played it. And they're also quite alike in speed and mood, and also that Jagger is singing on lower notes...something he changed completely in live versions of ASMB.....which didn't work at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 21:09 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 26, 2012 01:21

I saw a live version from the BANG tour and it was - what's the point of taking a slow lumbering and, I guess in a way, intimidating sound (or feel, that slow lumbering vibe the song has) and ruining it by speeding it waaaay up? Just play Rocks Off or Rip This Joint then, damn.

Date: September 26, 2012 09:57

They didn't nail it live before 1998. The version in Oslo was tremendous that year.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 26, 2012 11:37

Really nothing more than an outtake to me. It just doesn't go anywhere.

Mathijs

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2012 17:56

Eggcellent musically but the horrible lyrics sort of ruin it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 26, 2012 18:25

Best thread for one of Rene's Track Talk songs for ages. thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 26, 2012 18:47

The remixes of this were the goofiest I had ever heard, until I unfortunately purchased the CD single of Anybody Seen My Baby, lol!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2012 18:56

jamesfdouglas
The remixes of this were the goofiest I had ever heard, until I unfortunately purchased the CD single of Anybody Seen My Baby, lol!

You didn't get the You Got Me Rocking single? Ugh...!

I bought the Love Is Strong remix single AFTER You Got Me Rocking; and they don't fool me twice;
so I never ever listened to the mixes of Anybody Seen My Baby, I Go Wild, Love Is Strong, Don't Stop, Saint Of Me, Out Of Tears, Out Of Control on my CD-singles
Why do they put out these awful mixes? Somebody actually buys them? Hey....wait a minute....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2012 19:21

Erik_Snow
Why do they put out these awful mixes? Somebody actually buys them? Hey....wait a minute....

Agreed, it drives me crazy, they are nonsense. I am convinced they only do it for an easy way to get more b-sides and have the suckers buy the singles.

BTW, U2 is far worse than the Stones when it comes to these nonsensical remixes.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 26, 2012 19:56

Anybody else ever aquire the double wide subway poster (actually 2 posters twhich connect) of this single, with the full wall sized crossed eye? It was one of the few double wide subway posters I ever saw/bought. It used to be easily available for $10-15.00 but I just looked and dont see it available anywhere... not even a picture of it, but maybe I am searching wrong.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 28, 2012 00:32

Erik_Snow
jamesfdouglas

I bought the Love Is Strong remix single AFTER You Got Me Rocking; and they don't fool me twice;
so I never ever listened to the mixes of Anybody Seen My Baby, I Go Wild, Love Is Strong, Don't Stop, Saint Of Me, Out Of Tears, Out Of Control on my CD-singles

Hahahah! I completely forgot about that You Got Me Rocking re-mix! HAHAHAHAH!!!
Yeah, every one of those just smacked of desperation and contrivity, and there were some awful Rock and a Hard place ones too I recall. Laughable!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 28, 2012 01:47

jamesfdouglas
Erik_Snow
jamesfdouglas

Hahahah! I completely forgot about that You Got Me Rocking re-mix! HAHAHAHAH!!!
Yeah, every one of those just smacked of desperation and contrivity, and there were some awful Rock and a Hard place ones too I recall. Laughable!!!

Which YGMR re-mix are you talking about? I believe there are at least 3... the "Perfecto Mix", the "Sexy Disco Dub Mix", and the "Trance Mix".

I usually have no appetite for remixes, but the "Sexy Disco Dub Mix" of YGMR is actually very cool IMO!

Drew

Date: September 28, 2012 05:58

jamesfdouglas

This is the one to get!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:57

wandering spirit
i love this track! for me the best of VL. i respect the opinion of Doxa that LIS lacks substance, but don´t share it...

+1

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 6, 2023 01:28

new lyric video

engish version

spanish version

i think this is an improvement over the last few

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 01:31 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 6, 2023 04:37

A very average sounding tune, and in hindsight it all sounds contrived, manufactured, concocted, and formulated...it's really nothing more than a shadow or a reflection of something that's good.
Mediocrity at it's best...or some might say at it's worst. It's not too bad though, and way better than other bands who attempt top copy the Stones' original/established formula.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 6, 2023 06:56

It’s one of my favorite later-day Stones songs. While it’s not much of a tune, it sticks in my head. And I think it’s a particularly effective Jagger vocal, filled with menace. His phrasing and use of dynamics work for the song, as does his harmonica playing.

As NICOS said above, not a 9 or a 10, but an 8+.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 07:53 by bam.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2023 07:59

Hairball
A very average sounding tune, and in hindsight it all sounds contrived, manufactured, concocted, and formulated...it's really nothing more than a shadow or a reflection of something that's good.
Mediocrity at it's best...or some might say at it's worst. It's not too bad though, and way better than other bands who attempt top copy the Stones' original/established formula.

Keith had Wicked. So...

Lowdown is related. As is, perhaps, Dangerous Beauty and It Won't Take Long, which is really more One Hit. But they imitated themselves perfectly.

Then the Stones worked on what would become Keith's Trouble.

Never got the Take It So Hard/Mixed Emotions quip. Nothing alike.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: April 6, 2023 08:51

For those interested, the full multitrack (not Rockband stems but actual 48 track unprocessed recording) of that is circulating on multitrack sites.

Date: April 6, 2023 09:29

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Keith had Wicked. So...

Lowdown is related. As is, perhaps, Dangerous Beauty and It Won't Take Long, which is really more One Hit. But they imitated themselves perfectly.

Then the Stones worked on what would become Keith's Trouble.

Never got the Take It So Hard/Mixed Emotions quip. Nothing alike.

'I'm giving up loving, it's easy to do/Button your lip, baby, button your coat"

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: April 6, 2023 14:55

"Love Is Strong" was an excellent single. Still is. And that includes "The Storm" on the flip of the 7". Even NME reviewed it favourably, made it their single of the week back then (if I remember correctly). "You Got Me Rocking" on the other hand was pretty ordinary. Still is. My least favourite Stones-45 ever. Unfortunately, they're still playing it live every now and then (definitely the low point of the second Hyde Park show last July).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:05

Hairball

All of what you say is as wicked as it seems.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2023 10:01

Uh OH .... good ole U-Turn Eric is at it again ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 7, 2023 11:21

A great song. Also great live.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 7, 2023 13:11

Great song; the rolling stones' magic.Simple chord progression, classic middle 8. Subject matter :love. Guitars sound cool with Keith picking next to bridge. Harmonica sweet and melodic. Superbe video.
Love the Stones, baby.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2023 17:07

I think if this had never come out in 94 and we heard it for the first time as the new single off the new album we'd be over the moon.

Let's hope we get something of this quality as the kickoff single.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2023 17:46

treaclefingers
I think if this had never come out in 94 and we heard it for the first time as the new single off the new album we'd be over the moon.

Let's hope we get something of this quality as the kickoff single.

I think you are absolutely right here. Probably it sounded too obvious at the time, but now, almost 30 years later, it would be a gem, something we would die to hear from the Stones. Context matters.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home