Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why the profound dislike for Chuck Leavell ????
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:19

Yes,this has been discussed Ad nauseam,many times before,but what the hell...
Chuck, has been with The Stones for 30 years,he is their musical director,and obviously enjoys the support of both Mick and Keith,yet folks here seem to see him as the person that has "destroyed" the Stones sound,he turned them into a "Vegas act"his playing is too "commercial",he wears "baggie pants",has a beard,and so on..My point, all that criticism should be directed at his bosses,Mick and Keith,l mean he is making a decent living playing with the band,he is doing what many of us would give an armn and leg to be doing,so all the nasty and vitrolic attacks to Chuck don't make sense to me......Your take...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 23:54 by ROPENI.

Re: Why the hatred for Chuck Leavell ????
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:34

My take is that none of the things you mention make his keyboard playing with the Rolling Stones sound any better. I would pose a different question: Why the constant asking of why leavell isn't liked? It's simple: He sounds like crap with the Stones.

Date: September 23, 2012 02:41

Tinkly plinkly.....

Date: September 23, 2012 02:44

71Tele
My take is that none of the things you mention make his keyboard playing with the Rolling Stones sound any better. I would pose a different question: Why the constant asking of why leavell isn't liked? It's simple: He sounds like crap with the Stones.
71Tele,l got no problem with your opinion,but whose fault is it,if he is allowed and paid very well to continue playing with the band? sounding as you put it "like crap"IMHO Mick and Keith are the culprits,for allowing it...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:45

71Tele
My take is that none of the things you mention make his keyboard playing with the Rolling Stones sound any better.

thumbs up

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:01

Please not again..........

Enough of beating a dead horse..........

Date: September 23, 2012 03:02

1cdog
Please not again..........

Enough of beating a dead horse..........

Beat beat beat the dead horse...beat it into the ground... eh, etc.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:06

STOP THESE KINDS OF THREADS ON LEAVELL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 04:07 by Long John Stoner.

Date: September 23, 2012 04:14

Long John Stoner
STOP THESE KINDS OF THREADS ON LEAVELL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Sir Master,anything else you would like us to do???smoking smiley

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:21

Um ya how come?

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:23

No doubt that he is a top notch player who added a lot to The Allmans back in the seventies. However it is quite possible that his style and sound isn't fully compatible with The Stones.I for one don't mind him but it is quite clear that his predecessors did a much more compelling job. Moreover, I don't think that Chuck should be blamed for the band not sounding good enough for some people.. The guys have been through a lot and you can't actually expect them to sound as great as they used to. There is just a handful of old acts actually being capable of pulling that off (Springsteen comes to mind).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:45

The thread title is misleading and antagonistic to me, Chuck is a true pro and as close to a Rolling Stone as anyone not named Jagger Richards Wood, Watts, Wyman or Taylor is ever likely to come.

No hatred from this camp, just alot of love. Yeah Nicky may have played better live and on record with them and I think Keith was driving him more than Mick at that point.

I think what people may pick up on is that Chuck has matured musically in a slightly different direction than the Stones. Like the rock guys who eventually come to play more jazz because they need to keep growing somehow, evn though they forget how to play simple rock somewhat.

But in reality I think he is trying to support and please Mick and Keith at the expense of picking up Stones fans on his own. Most people have learned that pleasing the boss is the best way to succeed in their jobs, Chuck is a professional side man, doing his job.

BTW the plink plink may be the only sonic space left for Chuck after all those other player (egos) are satisfied. He's certainly not hogging the mix as far as I can tell. I actually LOVE his style with the Stones on the few occasions he gets to be the main instrument like the BEGINNING jug band version of Tumblin Dice. Mick and Keith harmonizing over that piano is sweet.

The Vegas sounding intros on other tunes leave me somewhat empty but I can just hear Mick saying.."Chuck you just riff on the chords a while while we make our grand entrances and nothing too fancy or powerful because Keith's first chord has got to have some impact" peace

Date: September 23, 2012 04:53

Naturalust
The thread title is misleading and antagonistic to me, Chuck is a true pro and as close to a Rolling Stone as anyone not named Jagger Richards Wood, Watts, Wyman or Taylor is ever likely to come.

No hatred from this camp, just alot of love. Yeah Nicky may have played better live and on record with them and I think Keith was driving him more than Mick at that point.

I think what people may pick up on is that Chuck has matured musically in a slightly different direction than the Stones. Like the rock guys who eventually come to play more jazz because they need to keep growing somehow, evn though they forget how to play simple rock somewhat.

But in reality I think he is trying to support and please Mick and Keith at the expense of picking up Stones fans on his own. Most people have learned that pleasing the boss is the best way to succeed in their jobs, Chuck is a professional side man, doing his job.

BTW the plink plink may be the only sonic space left for Chuck after all those other player (egos) are satisfied. He's certainly not hogging the mix as far as I can tell. I actually LOVE his style with the Stones on the few occasions he gets to be the main instrument like the BEGINNING jug band version of Tumblin Dice. Mick and Keith harmonizing over that piano is sweet.

The Vegas sounding intros on other tunes leave me somewhat empty but I can just hear Mick saying.."Chuck you just riff on the chords a while while we make our grand entrances and nothing too fancy or powerful because Keith's first chord has got to have some impact" peace
Nat, l wasn't trying to be "misleading or "antagonistic",l was trying to ask a real question that has been bothering me for a while,just by reading some of the other threads that deal with Chuck,the level of dislike for him is huge,as well as he is almost always blamed for The Stones sounding bad according to some..Personally l think he fits perfectly with what the band has been doing for the last three decades...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2012 05:39

ROPENI
71Tele
71Tele,l got no problem with your opinion,but whose fault is it,if he is allowed and paid very well to continue playing with the band? sounding as you put it "like crap"IMHO Mick and Keith are the culprits,for allowing it...

I see this reasoning all the time. Does the fact that Mick and Keith want him in the band make him sound good? No. So why use that as a defense for his playing, which is the only thing I'm interested in.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 23, 2012 05:43

Everyone loves chuck.... everyone loves ronnies playing.... everyone loves mick taylors playing... same with keith. Now enough of this BS. Really get a life!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 23, 2012 06:32

I would assume it's the long time fans who are more dismayed about Chuck. And it's not Chuck personally, I think some people probably feel his sound has had it's time. The classic Rolling Stones went through a succession of pianist who enriched and added to their sound. Now it seems like sidemen, backup singers, etc, never move on and allow the band to branch out in different directions. There's an ossification that gets boring.

Think of the succession of guitar players. Jones, to Taylor, to Wood was an interesting progression that reflected their times. Wood, who had his peak and probably should have bowed out around 1980, has been competent, but hasn't added much to their sound in years. It seems now that musicians who show up are more valued than artistic excellence. It's like everybody in the group is a habit now, more than trailblazing artists.

The days of musical progression are over. I would be shocked if the two new cuts are one vaguely retro stonesy cut, and one Keithy ballad. The breakthroughs are over. The Stones aren't going to lead the way, or even incorporate new sounds through the Stones filter. It just doesn't work that way any longer. It's not Chuck's fault. He shows up, clocks in, takes the check. I'm sure it's a nice check and the work probably isn't bad. That's what middle age is all about.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2012 08:30

Chuck lacks soul.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 23, 2012 09:37

All of these "why the hate/dislike?" threads seem to run the same parallel course to each other. The only difference is who the act is and who is accused of being "a hater" and who is accused of being a "a supporter".

All these threads have alternating posts with some people bashing on the act and some people having the utmost respect for the act... and it goes back and forth... and the tide comes in... and the tide goes out.

And in the end, everyone thinks what they thought to start with.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 23, 2012 09:41

Max'sKansasCity
and it goes back and forth... and the tide comes in... and the tide goes out.

I blame the Moon.

Date: September 23, 2012 09:51

GravityBoy
Max'sKansasCity
and it goes back and forth... and the tide comes in... and the tide goes out.

I blame the Moon.

Great pic.

1)Keith was ahead of the Gorrilla curve, back then.

2)And note how Wile E. and Kieth have the same expression/look in their eyes.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:27

Max'sKansasCity

Some things will never change smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:35

I like him fine, but I do think some of the dislike is that he's just super super nice—no edge—and that's not very rock n roll. It's like if, say, Mr. Rogers played keyboards in the Who.

"Mama's got a squeeze box..."

smiling smileyRe: Why the hatred for Chuck Leavell ????
Posted by: nico one ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:05

71Tele

lol

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:24

No hate - just pure facts.

Listen to Stones before and after 1982 and you will have an answer why Chuck is no good to Stones.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:33

Max'sKansasCity
All of these "why the hate/dislike?" threads seem to run the same parallel course to each other. The only difference is who the act is and who is accused of being "a hater" and who is accused of being a "a supporter".

All these threads have alternating posts with some people bashing on the act and some people having the utmost respect for the act... and it goes back and forth... and the tide comes in... and the tide goes out.

i really hate hate threads...we can start another thread on a fresh topic instead....like...er....um....uhhh.....nevermind....How 'bout thoses Giants!?

Date: September 23, 2012 18:50

lunar!!!
Max'sKansasCity

i really hate hate threads...we can start another thread on a fresh topic instead....like...er....um....uhhh.....nevermind....How 'bout thoses Giants!?
Go Giants!! They are great!!... no wait... The Giants SUCK!!... no wait... The Giants are GREAT, Go Giants!!!! no wait.... grinning smiley

I wasnt saying anything other than the hate/dislike threads tend to run parallel and play out thesame old story.... not saying they are good or bad... or that we should or should not have them.... I was just saying it is interesting how in one thread someone will accuse others of being haters... and then in another thread that same person will be bashing in the same way... and that after pages and pages there is no real point... just opinions... no right or wrong.. just unchanged opinions.

Carry on...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 18:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:53

ROPENI
Yes,this has been discussed Ad nauseam,many times before,but what the hell...
Chuck, has been with The Stones for 30 years,he is their musical director,and obviously enjoys the support of both Mick and Keith,yet folks here seem to see him as the person that has "destroyed" the Stones sound,he turned them into a "Vegas act"his playing is too "commercial",he wears "baggie pants",has a beard,and so on..My point, all that criticism should be directed at his bosses,Mick and Keith,l mean he is making a decent living playing with the band,he is doing what many of us would give an armn and leg to be doing,so all the nasty and vitrolic attacks to Chuck don't make sense to me......Your take...

No hate here. I don't listen as intently to latter-day live Stones to form any opinion. To me, its the circus of backup singers, Blondie occasionally plink-plonking on guitar or triangle or whatever.....i hardly notice Chuck, to be honest.
Maybe that's the problem - n\he's not Nicky or Billy or Ian, whose style was part of the Stones. As 24FPS perfectly pointed out, those days are gone and I think it says more about the Stones than CL.
I can only judge Chuck from his work outside the Stones: Allmans and most recently the John Mayer CD, where he was soulful and fantastic as well as his solo boogie album.
Which begs the question: maybe its the Stones. Or maybe they just want someone who is compatible and brings no drama.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 23, 2012 19:00

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Tinkly plinkly.....

I don't hate him but imo his way of playing 'tinkly plinkly' has nothing to do with the Stones. That's it

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 23, 2012 19:03

Title5Take1
I like him fine, but I do think some of the dislike is that he's just super super nice—no edge—and that's not very rock n roll. It's like if, say, Mr. Rogers played keyboards in the Who.

"Mama's got a squeeze box..."

Mr. Rogers' musical director was an incredible jazz pianist named Johnny Costa...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 23, 2012 19:12

Mr. Rogers loves us all, even those that hate Chuck Leavell.

"You make each day a special day. You know how, by just your being you. There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are."

grinning smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home