Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lets steal Chuck Leavells piano
Posted by: TRS ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:07

Someone posted a video of mid rambler live...with some caption this is why I still see the stones. Well I played the video and then 14 seconds in I heard Leavells toy piano and it ruins the song . He can stay with the stones as Jagger's water boy for all I care but keep him off stage send him back to the Allmans or maybe the Osmonds.

Re: Lets steal Chuck Leavells piano
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:21

Some first post. yawning smiley

Date: September 22, 2012 04:25

I am sure it's been said before. I am really not cynical I hope for the best from them I love Daryll but Leavell is not the sound for the stones In my ears

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 22, 2012 06:16

too plink plink

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 22, 2012 06:55

TRS
Someone posted a video of mid rambler live...with some caption this is why I still see the stones. Well I played the video and then 14 seconds in I heard Leavells toy piano and it ruins the song . He can stay with the stones as Jagger's water boy for all I care but keep him off stage send him back to the Allmans or maybe the Osmonds.

Yeah, I read that post and then played the video, and it was happily better than I expected or remembered, but I can't disagree with your criticism either.

Lot of people celebrating "best of the rest" these days. That's fine so long as you know... I certainly understand as any reasonable fan might, that they are no longer in their prime, but no doubt in my mind they are paying a price for whatever indispensable role Mr. Leavell brings to the table for them these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 06:56 by SweetThing.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 22, 2012 07:32

Let's not make any more threads like this.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 22, 2012 10:01

If you're musical director and you want inappropriate piano, you get inappropriate piano.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2012 12:30

Let's perform a "VĂ­ctor Jara" on Chuck instead... (mad grin) grinning smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 22, 2012 13:36

Yes, MR is a song of danger and fear. Compare the Chuck contaminated version to the Billy Preston versions from 73 or 75/76. Billy interpretes the atmosphere, the cruelty of the song in the right way, Chuck makes a nice honky tonk piano bar theme out of it. No wonder, Chuck Leavell is the Vegas chief of the band ...He should better go with the Bee Gees or the Beach Boys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 13:37 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 22, 2012 13:42

TRS

I agree

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: September 22, 2012 13:56

thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 22, 2012 14:00

Long John Stoner

This post is more interesting and intelligent than many others ...
Chuck's playing style has nothing to do with the Stones.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 14:39

I am also among the camp that feels Chuck is not the right piano player for the Stones. Having said that, he's not as bad as his haters say, but he's not as good as Jagger must feel he is. I also find it ironic that Ian Stewart personally endorsed him should anything happen to Stu. Maybe Chuck was in earshot and Stu was just trying to be nice because Chuck sounds NOTHING like Ian Stewart. I have also long resented Chuck usurping Keith's role as band leader. I wish they had continued to use Mac from The Faces. His playing is much more Stonesy to my ears.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 22, 2012 15:13

Bear in mind that Chuck would not have taken over Keith's role as band leader unless Keith allowed it to happen.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 22, 2012 15:47

Stealing Chuck Leavell's piano could result in felony charges. I recommend refraining from such activities.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 22, 2012 15:53

replace it with a PROPER piano, not that rinky-dink digital thing.

When he plays Wurlitzer or Hammond it sounds tasteful and enjoyable.
I bet the same could be said if he had a proper grand piano on stage with a decent tone.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 15:58

ab
Bear in mind that Chuck would not have taken over Keith's role as band leader unless Keith allowed it to happen.

Or Mick demanded it or else he wouldn't tour. Keith may have had to swallow his pride to ensure the band's survival.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2012 16:12

stonesdan60
ab

Or Mick demanded it or else he wouldn't tour. Keith may have had to swallow his pride to ensure the band's survival.

Even that might be the case, I think Keith's experience with touring with the Winos had a role there. With the Winos he was not anymore the one leading and pushing the whole band forward by his own example (and keeping the whole tune, and its groove, in his hands), but more that of a maestro and a frontman, for whom the others were giving a backed role to shine and do his bit. It could be that Keith actually enjoyed more that kind of role than the one he used to have. Less demanding, actually. Gradually, this gave Keith a chance to take a free passenger seat when needed, without the all-over sound of the band suffering notably.

I have tend to think that it was Mick giving the orders and conditions in 1989 how the Stones will play from then on, but probably Keith hadn't so much against it after-all. So it could be that the modern 'Vegas-sound' was more a co-work of the Twins than just Mick's brain child.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 16:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:40

Date: September 22, 2012 19:47

stonesdan60
ab

What is Keith's role I wonder? I have seen video and read interactions with Chuck And Mick discussing set list and rehearsals and to me it's troubling that the core Keith Charlie and Ronnie inputs are limited.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 22, 2012 21:32

Long John Stoner

agreed.

Date: September 22, 2012 21:32

GravityBoy
If you're musical director and you want inappropriate piano, you get inappropriate piano.

agreed.

Date: September 22, 2012 21:33

RobertJohnson
Yes, MR is a song of danger and fear. Compare the Chuck contaminated version to the Billy Preston versions from 73 or 75/76. Billy interpretes the atmosphere, the cruelty of the song in the right way, Chuck makes a nice honky tonk piano bar theme out of it. No wonder, Chuck Leavell is the Vegas chief of the band ...He should better go with the Bee Gees or the Beach Boys.

agreed.

Date: September 22, 2012 21:34

KRiffhard
TRS

I agree

agreed.

Date: September 22, 2012 21:34

witterings
thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2012 21:35

stonesdan60
I am also among the camp that feels Chuck is not the right piano player for the Stones. Having said that, he's not as bad as his haters say, but he's not as good as Jagger must feel he is. I also find it ironic that Ian Stewart personally endorsed him should anything happen to Stu. Maybe Chuck was in earshot and Stu was just trying to be nice because Chuck sounds NOTHING like Ian Stewart. I have also long resented Chuck usurping Keith's role as band leader. I wish they had continued to use Mac from The Faces. His playing is much more Stonesy to my ears.

agreed.

Date: September 22, 2012 21:36

ab

agreed.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 22, 2012 23:54

Chris Fountain
Stealing Chuck Leavell's piano could result in felony charges. I recommend refraining from such activities.

Sometimes the law is an ass.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2012 00:55

GravityBoy
Chris Fountain

Sometimes the law is an ass.

We don't have to steal it ........we could burn it accidentally grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2012 01:17

TRS

c'mon man leavell was only with the allmans for 3 years or so, after fillmore and eat a peach. he's had a way longer more lasting mark with the stones, take it or leave it

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home