Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T The Small Faces
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 17, 2012 17:25

Any fans of the wonderful group, the Small Faces?

Been redicovering their stuff through the May 2012 Deluxe Editions of their four albums; and they are spectacular! Special mention to the Deluxe of the 1967 Immediate label "Small Faces" album, never heard it sound as good; mono and stereo versions

One of their very best here, "Tin Soldier" -

Re: O/T The Small Faces
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 17, 2012 17:32

Well I'm a much bigger fan of the Faces but Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake is great.
Heavy for its time.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 17, 2012 17:38

Just saw this dvd ;

One For The Road - Ronnie Lane Memorial Concert 3 DVD set

(Ronnie Wood played Ooh La la and Stay With me )

A fantastic 3 DVD set of the Ronnie Lane Memorial Concert, filmed at The Royal Albert Hall, London on 8th April 2004.

Featuring exclusive performances by the cast, including Pete Townshend, Paul Weller, Kenney Jones, Ocean Colour Scene, Sam Brown, Chris Farlowe, Glen Matlock and more.

Each purchase comes with a FREE copy of the official programme available at the concert.

[bangonsounds.bigcartel.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-17 17:42 by Lien.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 17, 2012 17:47

Delighted by the current re-issues, I guess they'll make the Autumn Stone-material available on the upcoming box set, tho' I'd prefer a separate (cheaper) release. Well, the best stuff of those last 60's recordings is on Ultimate collection with a decent enough sound.
They must be throwing in the kitchen sink with that box set!
It always makes me wonder why neither Faces nor Humble Pie played much - if any- SF-songs. I guess it's Faces on Rod's version of My Way Of Giving, but that's about it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2012 18:26

IrelandCalling4
Any fans of the wonderful group, the Small Faces?

Been redicovering their stuff through the May 2012 Deluxe Editions of their four albums; and they are spectacular! Special mention to the Deluxe of the 1967 Immediate label "Small Faces" album, never heard it sound as good; mono and stereo versions

One of their very best here, "Tin Soldier" -

I've bought many supposedly upgraded versions of their albums over the last 20 years. Are these latest re-releases really a sonic improvement?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:02

Love their stuff too, and Humble Pie

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:23

Love the Small Faces. Marriott was a legend. Such a ferocious, barking vocal delivery. He could be incredibly soulful, too. The Americans only know them for Itchycoo Park, but us Brits know better. I love oath their Decca and Immediate phases. Favourite tracks are All Or Nothing, Tin Soldier and Lazy Sunday.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:31

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:46

Big Al
Love the Small Faces. Marriott was a legend. Such a ferocious, barking vocal delivery. He could be incredibly soulful, too. The Americans only know them for Itchycoo Park, but us Brits know better. I love oath their Decca and Immediate phases. Favourite tracks are All Or Nothing, Tin Soldier and Lazy Sunday.

Really, I thought the only song they did was Itchycoo Park! The stuff I learn here, amazing...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 17, 2012 20:06

Big Al

Ow's old Berts lumbago?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 17, 2012 20:23

I like "Happy Days Toy Town" Life is just a bowl of All-Bran indeed!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 17, 2012 20:29

On the subject of Ogdens, I have always loved the vibe on Rene. "She'll have your oars out!" Long live The Small Faces. One of London's all time greatest bands.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: September 17, 2012 21:33

The Faces were good, but nothing they did can ever touch these:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-17 21:55 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 17, 2012 21:46

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2012 21:49

No true Small Faces fan would be without the All or Nothing DVD:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: September 17, 2012 23:46

Child Of Clay
Delighted by the current re-issues, I guess they'll make the Autumn Stone-material available on the upcoming box set, tho' I'd prefer a separate (cheaper) release. Well, the best stuff of those last 60's recordings is on Ultimate collection with a decent enough sound.
They must be throwing in the kitchen sink with that box set!
It always makes me wonder why neither Faces nor Humble Pie played much - if any- SF-songs. I guess it's Faces on Rod's version of My Way Of Giving, but that's about it.

I think The Faces didn't do any SF songs because they were so strongly associated with Steve Marriott. Anyway, who could compete with Marriott's vocals ? Certainly not Rod Stewart. And I guess Humble Pie didn't do SF songs either because Marriott wanted to lose the "pop group" image of the Small Faces. Probably a wise decision in the musical climate of the early seventies. Unfortunately, although Humble Pie were very good and quite successful, he never wrote anything of the same quality as he had done for the SF. Maybe he needed Ronnie Lane for inspiration and additional ideas ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home