Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Love In Vain
Posted by: René ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:06

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Love In Vain
(Robert Johnson)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 23, 1968 & March 24 - 27, 1969

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ian Stewart - piano
Ry Cooder - mandolin

Well, I followed her to the station with a suitcase in my hand
Yeah, I followed her to the station with a suitcase in my hand
Oh, it's hard to tell, it's hard to tell when all your love's in vain

When the train come in the station, I looked her in the eye
Well, the train come in the station and I looked her in the eye
Oh, I felt so sad and lonesome that I could not help but cry

Yeah, yeah, yeah

When the train left the station, it had two lights on behind
Yeah, when the train left the station, it had two lights on behind
Oh, the blue light was my baby and the red light was my mind

All my love's in vain

All my love's in vain

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Let It Bleed” LP
(London NPS-4) US, November 29, 1969

Re: Track Talk: Love In Vain
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:13

I had no idea who Robert Johnson was when I first heard this on Ya Yas. But it seemed like a blues that transcended its genre and spoke universally. The live cuts and studio with Mick Taylor are the best.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:14

One of Mick and Keith's best performances!

That slide guitar is pure soul - as good as it gets thumbs up

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:17

24FPS
I had no idea who Robert Johnson was when I first heard this on Ya Yas. But it seemed like a blues that transcended its genre and spoke universally. The live cuts and studio with Mick Taylor are the best.

Hi, I really love the 69 and 72 live versions, too. Great solos and slide by MT. But is there really a studio version with MT? Never heard of it. Or did I get you wrong?

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:20

Love in Vain... For me it is a live Song!
Every Version is different! I Love the Version in Hyde Park
and on Get yer ye ye's Out...!!!
I'm a absolutly Ronnie Wood Fan....but this One Works just
with Mick Tayler...

To me it is One of the best Stones-Track witch is Not written
By Jagger Richards....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:31

Their best blues-track! thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:36

24FPS
I had no idea who Robert Johnson was when I first heard this on Ya Yas.

As a young Dutch boy, I didn't quite get the meaning of the credits on the Get yer Ya-Ya's out
album, reading "Trad. arr Jagger/Richards". It would take years before I knew it was a song
Robert Johnson recorded before them.
But the arrangement of the song is completely different.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: September 17, 2012 10:41

marcovandereijk
24FPS
I had no idea who Robert Johnson was when I first heard this on Ya Yas.

As a young Dutch boy, I didn't quite get the meaning of the credits on the Get yer Ya-Ya's out
album, reading "Trad. arr Jagger/Richards". It would take years before I knew it was a song
Robert Johnson recorded before them.
But the arrangement of the song is completely different.

On my copy "Payne" was credited. That lead to further confusion, before i learned it was indeed a Robert Johnson-pseudonym smiling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 17, 2012 11:32

To date this is one of the most brilliant rearrangements of a cover song by the Stones. The slowed down soul arpeggio (that on the studio version is played with a capo, adding a country flavor to the song) and, above all, the addition of that Em chord ...

The funny thing is that the original was in openG! Who knows how it would have sounded if Keith started working on it one year later?

C

Date: September 17, 2012 12:09

liddas
To date this is one of the most brilliant rearrangements of a cover song by the Stones. The slowed down soul arpeggio (that on the studio version is played with a capo, adding a country flavor to the song) and, above all, the addition of that Em chord ...

The funny thing is that the original was in openG! Who knows how it would have sounded if Keith started working on it one year later?

C

Only the slide guitar is in open G. The acoustic is in standard tuning.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2012 12:22

The Stones' version of Love In Vain encapsulates more than any other cover version of theirs just how brilliant the band was at re-imagining the blues.

The song has many textures, the delicate picking of the intro, the way the drums and bass come in that helps the song move effortlessly along - indeed like a train gently pulling out of a station. And then that incredible, perhaps even career-defining guitar solo by Mick Taylor that probably made every young kid hearing it want to pick up and learn how to play.

And when they played it on the 69 and 72 tours, boy did it send shivers down your spine, particularly in 1969 where it sat beautifully between the rock and a hard place of Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler.

When I hear it now I wish more than anything that the Stones could return to finding some inspired, and little known blues songs to cover.

Date: September 17, 2012 12:27

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

I mean, Robert Johnson's original is in open G.

C

Date: September 17, 2012 12:33

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

I mean, Robert Johnson's original is in open G.

C

Ah, sorry smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2012 12:35

Silver Dagger
The Stones' version of Love In Vain encapsulates more than any other cover version of theirs just how brilliant the band was at re-imagining the blues.

The song has many textures, the delicate picking of the intro, the way the drums and bass come in that helps the song move effortlessly along - indeed like a train gently pulling out of a station. And then that incredible, perhaps even career-defining guitar solo by Mick Taylor that probably made every young kid hearing it want to pick up and learn how to play.

And when they played it on the 69 and 72 tours, boy did it send shivers down your spine, particularly in 1969 where it sat beautifully between the rock and a hard place of Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler.

When I hear it now I wish more than anything that the Stones could return to finding some inspired, and little known blues songs to cover.

You're thinking about the live versions here, right?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2012 14:04

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

I'm thinking of both versions Dandy. But the bit you highlighted, yeah - the one on Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

Date: September 17, 2012 14:13

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

I'm thinking of both versions Dandy. But the bit you highlighted, yeah - the one on Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

Yeah, but it is Keith that plays the slide on the studio version.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 17, 2012 14:57

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: September 17, 2012 14:59

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 17, 2012 16:12

Yes, a splendidly-reworked cover that fits perfectly on what is arguably their greatest album. Keith's guitar-work is remarkable, and Jimmy Miller's production is as flawless as ever. Nice point Silver Dagger about the drums and bass suggesting a train gently pulling out of a station.

I must add, though, that the all of the live versions that I've heard bore me to pieces.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 17:40 by drewmaster.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 17, 2012 16:33

I like the raw Hyde Park version the best. thumbs up

Date: September 17, 2012 16:35

Nothing can touch the original, imo thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 17, 2012 17:37

Favourite version ever is the one from Tokyo '95. Their most 'soulful' version. And love how Charlie enters the song around 1:00...

(watch it in HD!)

Date: September 17, 2012 18:33

kowalski
Favourite version ever is the one from Tokyo '95. Their most 'soulful' version. And love how Charlie enters the song around 1:00...

Love it too!

They also impressed me with an incredibly solid version in Munchen for the opening show of the euro leg of the Licks tour.

C

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:04

I prefer the Get Yer version thumbs up

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:23

DandelionPowderman
Nothing can touch the original, imo thumbs up
Indeed. Mr Johnson nails it!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:35

LIV in '69 is one of two songs that marks so well the changing dynamics of the band as it moved west to east. The other is SFTD. I find it exciting to follow the evolution of the song from Colorado to Baltimore and in the case of SFTD...to NYC. At the end of that tour each song had a classic performance for the ages.

Having said that...The performance of LIV during L&G is one of the great moments of the band on stage in some measure because it was filmed so well. Taylor's solos are exquisite be it played with slide or fingers. And sometimes it hard to tell the difference.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 17, 2012 19:44

OK, so this may not be relevant to this posting, but The Faces actually did a version of Love In Vain, which is on Five Guys Walk Into A Bar. Ronnie said that he was very fond of The Stones' version.

Ronnie does very well on the 1978 version, and on Stripped's version.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 17, 2012 21:29

Great to revisit this classic song, thank to all the posters for the clips! What a cool song to recap!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2012 21:54

muenke
24FPS

Hi, I really love the 69 and 72 live versions, too. Great solos and slide by MT. But is there really a studio version with MT? Never heard of it. Or did I get you wrong?

I didn't realize MT was not on the studio version. My mistake.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 17, 2012 23:20

tomcasagranda
OK, so this may not be relevant to this posting, but The Faces actually did a version of Love In Vain, which is on Five Guys Walk Into A Bar. Ronnie said that he was very fond of The Stones' version.

Ronnie does very well on the 1978 version, and on Stripped's version.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1272
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home