Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Talks About Darryl Jones
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 15, 2012 17:00

[twitter.com]

<<< Why my job rules #137. Best quote: "Darryl Jones is a genuine musician. I'm just a Rolling Stone.">>>

I have no idea when this interview took place. It was on Twitter dated today. Hit the link for the photo of Keith in the interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-15 17:09 by Cocaine Eyes.

Re: Keith Talks About Darryl Jones
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 15, 2012 17:10

Hey none of them were genuine musicians but they had a style and they had something to say.

"Genuine musicians" are the ones you see in the studios, playing a reggae session in the morning, a "rock" session in the afternoon and a TV commercial before dinner.

Versatile but bland players.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 15, 2012 17:40

I think Keith really likes Darryl, he was certainly very complementary about him in Life. I have to wonder if he is maybe trying to smooth over any hurt feelings on Darryl's part after all the press about Bill Wyman joining up with the guys again.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 15, 2012 18:59

Good on him for saying that anyway. I myself am enjoying his positive outlook, as evidenced in the Aaron Neville promo video. He seems to be a content old geezer recently, quite at ease with himself, and therefore able to compliment others!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 15, 2012 20:11

I wonder if all this fan talk about Bill being the only acceptable Rolling Stones bassist ever gets back to them? You wonder if they get a laugh out of Bill's work being lauded. I don't think any of the other Stones has ever comfortably complimented Bill, or had much insight into his playing. Charlie seemed to be mystified after Bill's departure how clever he was when going over the old songs for Darryl. Keith seems to begrudgingly admit he was talented. I'm not sure I've ever read a complimentary comment from Mick concerning Bill.

Bill seems to get the last laugh after they all 'Ernied' him in the beginning. And why they tried to replace him early, and later, is a mystery. It could have been something as superficial as they wanted somebody younger and hipper for the band photos. They never understood that his relative 'ugliness' added to their dark texture. They were not the Pretty Beatles.

Yes, Darryl may be a 'musician', whatever that means. But he's not an artist. Bix Beiderbecke couldn't read a lick of music, but the only reason most of the 'musicians' who played with him are remembered at all is because of his singularity on cornet. I just listened to Rough Justice and yes, Darryl does a serviceable job giving the song some bottom. But that's it. There's no surprises, no note that stands out and pleases. In contrast I heard Start Me up in the car last week and I just marveled at how expressive Bill's bass part is.

Darryl may be a musician, but Bill is a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 15, 2012 20:20

24FPS
... but Bill is a Rolling Stone.

No he is not, he quit a long long long time ago.

Thankfully the rest of the band are not quitters like him.

Good for Keith to praise his bass player.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 15, 2012 20:49

Charlie picked him. Anybody gonna tell Charlie he's wrong? Nope. becasue he's right.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 16, 2012 03:31

More Hot Rocks
Charlie picked him. Anybody gonna tell Charlie he's wrong? Nope. becasue he's right.

Charlie is a jazz man at heart, hence Darryl. Bill was a Stone. Darryl, while most certainly a "musician", unfortunately will never be a "Stone".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-16 03:33 by bleedingman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2012 05:21

Max'sKansasCity
24FPS

Maybe if Keith had praised the one he had, when he had him, we might still have Bill. And he'll always be a Rolling Stone. He can't help it if the band wouldn't quit while they were still on top artisticly.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 16, 2012 05:30

Max'sKansasCity
24FPS

He was a Rolling Stone when it mattered to any extent - his playing is on the CDs, records, he's in the videos. He is still Bill Wyman whether he is with the group or not. In fact, Darryl is the one that is NOT a Rolling Stone any more than Blondie. You can look it up.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 16, 2012 05:58

I am so happy The Stones are not a bunch of quitters or
I would not have been able to see this live, in person, back in 05'

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 16, 2012 14:41

..when darryl makes it on the LP cover with the rest of the band, then you can talk about him being a "stone" but seriously doubt if that will ever happen seeing as how they won't be releasing any more new albums--with or without him...hope i'm wrong but not feeling wrong...sad smiley...anyhow-took Ronnie many years to shed 'employee' status so.....Darryl is good but not the 'right fit' for a guitar band, which is what they used to be....they should have picked one of their out-of-work mates from the '60's to join them...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2012 15:04

SweetThing
He was a Rolling Stone when it mattered to any extent - his playing is on the CDs, records, he's in the videos. He is still Bill Wyman whether he is with the group or not. In fact, Darryl is the one that is NOT a Rolling Stone any more than Blondie. You can look it up.

Indeed he was a Rolling Stones when it really mattered. And there's nothing wrong in leaving a sinking ship. I'm glad for Wyman's sake that he didn't have to play Satisfaction another 1000 times in the 90s and 2000s.
Must be incredible boring to do that.
What's this talk about "being a quitter" I wonder. Things change....would be silly to just keep on repeating everything untill you die. Where's the freedom or fun in that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-16 15:11 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 15, 2012 12:16

I don't think there will be another Stone anymore, especially not this late into the game. Ronnie was the last one, and honestly, at that point they were still usually a 5 piece touring band. Other people were there live, but it was still those 5 that were highlighted. They had to acknowledge Ronnie as a new Stone, and on top of that he was well known for the Faces and Rod Stewart. Their rhythm guitarist became Rolling Stones members. When Bill left, they just had the bass take an even lesser position on stage. While Darryl has been with them for almost 20 years now, he takes the same position as the background players. Unfortunately, if Bill weren't an original member, and the Stones bass players were just as infrequently as their rhythm guitar players at a point, I don't know if they ever would have acknowledged the bass player as a Rolling Stone. It was always drums, two guitars, and Mick unfortunately.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home