Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"unremarkable space-fillers like "Winter"...": Discuss
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: September 13, 2012 23:01

An article to be found in Australian Men's Fitness has the above quote, which, whilst I acknowledge we have our own taste/s, I find for any RS fan to be mind boggling?

Anyone else feel the same?

Please see the post about "Deja vu ring"

Re: "unremarkable space-fillers like "Winter"...": Discuss
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 13, 2012 23:08

Just by seeing that the reviewer place Shine A Light in the GOOD section and ABB in the SUPERIOR section, and also Emotional Rescue in the AVOID section made me think we had very different taste

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 01:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 13, 2012 23:42

Winter is filler imo.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:01

Sometimes I get a headache thinking about these things... I love Emotional Rescue! Some Girls leftovers are the best leftovers! Ha!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:19

flacnvinyl
Sometimes I get a headache thinking about these things... I love Emotional Rescue! Some Girls leftovers are the best leftovers! Ha!

Maybe they should have called the Some Girls bonus disc Sloppy Seconds. He-he-he!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:36

To a lot of people, all the songs that aren't a warhorse is labeled "space-fillers.' Goes to show you what exactly everyone's standards are. These are proably the same people who say "Exile" is their greatest achievement yet probably wouldn't be able to name any song besides "Tumblin Dice" or "Happy"...if any song at all...

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:41

Winter is a great track - and ER is one of my faves...
...more filler like these please!!

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:45

Winter a space filler? It's an unbelieveably great song just as Memory Motel is. It's one of the main reasons to listen to GHS.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: September 14, 2012 00:46

Clearly you have no taste....just joshing!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2012 01:04

....i don't waaaaanna talk about it .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 14, 2012 01:08

His Majesty
Winter is filler imo.

Winter is Majestic IMO

Date: September 14, 2012 01:12

smileys with beer
nomis
Winter a space filler? It's an unbelieveably great song just as Memory Motel is. It's one of the main reasons to listen to GHS.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: September 14, 2012 01:13

"Australian Men's Fitness" -- what, their music critique doesn't have the most exquisite taste and knowledge? Shocker.

Date: September 14, 2012 01:14

smileys with beersmileys with beer
Zagalo
Winter is a great track - and ER is one of my faves...
...more filler like these please!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 14, 2012 01:29

If "Winter" is filler, what do you call "Gunface"?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: September 14, 2012 02:01

The Outrage! I consider myself to be quite a remarkable space-filler, actually. Every song takes up space and could be called a space-filler. But to be called both unremarkable and space-filler in a derogatory manner by a friggin' men's magazine, and it's gloves off, boys!!

-I am, in my not-so-humble opinion, one of Jagger's top 10 studio vocal performances. Ever. Sure, I may not be a Let It Loose or Sympathy, but hey. And a men's magazine should know it was only because mick's wife interrupted the vocal sessions that I'm not even more fully transcendantal and celebrated vocal track like those two. Gotta keep the family together; even if just for a few more years.

-I don't have Keef all over the place playing 'manly' muscular riffing guitar, but I don't expect a testosterone-fueled short-haired grunt who is probably so insecure about his masculinity that he's afraid to admit he even likes any ballad unless it's about lifting weights all day and who has repressed his grade school embarrassment at being laughed at for singing along with The Smiths "Hand in Glove" to be able to appreciate Jagger's height of androgyny in 1973. The feminine Mick on the cover of GHS; who could also menacingly sing Mr D, Star Star and the athletic heights of Brussells Affair that same year.

-I have a wonderful electric guitar performance by the other non-macho Stone on this as well. Mick Taylor just makes the tune complete; fluid, sustainy, languid, soaring overhead, interacting with the vocal track and Buckmaster's strings. Stellar. Maybe you wrote "unremarkable" in your review because you were speechless and unable to make a remark and just used the wrong word.

-and don't forget character/mood/accent. Face it; after me, you're only going to get maybe 2-3 more classic-sung non-parody Jagger ballads (Till the Next Goodbye, Memory Motel) ever before the over-enunciating Mick takes over for good. So enjoy your horrific taste, you puny Aussie men's magazine reviewer (what, you weren't good enough to get into the real music press?) and enjoy your copy of SAL and your ignorant lameness. Unremarkable, my ass!

Thus spoke the ballad to the weightlifter.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 14, 2012 02:24

I love Winter

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 14, 2012 02:51

winter
The Outrage! I consider myself to be quite a remarkable space-filler, actually. Every song takes up space and could be called a space-filler. But to be called both unremarkable and space-filler in a derogatory manner by a friggin' men's magazine, and it's gloves off, boys!!

-I am, in my not-so-humble opinion, one of Jagger's top 10 studio vocal performances. Ever. Sure, I may not be a Let It Loose or Sympathy, but hey. And a men's magazine should know it was only because mick's wife interrupted the vocal sessions that I'm not even more fully transcendantal and celebrated vocal track like those two. Gotta keep the family together; even if just for a few more years.

-I don't have Keef all over the place playing 'manly' muscular riffing guitar, but I don't expect a testosterone-fueled short-haired grunt who is probably so insecure about his masculinity that he's afraid to admit he even likes any ballad unless it's about lifting weights all day and who has repressed his grade school embarrassment at being laughed at for singing along with The Smiths "Hand in Glove" to be able to appreciate Jagger's height of androgyny in 1973. The feminine Mick on the cover of GHS; who could also menacingly sing Mr D, Star Star and the athletic heights of Brussells Affair that same year.

-I have a wonderful electric guitar performance by the other non-macho Stone on this as well. Mick Taylor just makes the tune complete; fluid, sustainy, languid, soaring overhead, interacting with the vocal track and Buckmaster's strings. Stellar. Maybe you wrote "unremarkable" in your review because you were speechless and unable to make a remark and just used the wrong word.

-and don't forget character/mood/accent. Face it; after me, you're only going to get maybe 2-3 more classic-sung non-parody Jagger ballads (Till the Next Goodbye, Memory Motel) ever before the over-enunciating Mick takes over for good. So enjoy your horrific taste, you puny Aussie men's magazine reviewer (what, you weren't good enough to get into the real music press?) and enjoy your copy of SAL and your ignorant lameness. Unremarkable, my ass!

Thus spoke the ballad to the weightlifter.

Freakin' awesome post.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 03:07

Winter is beautiful time of year and a beautiful song as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 03:08 by custom55.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 03:21

Winter is one the most underrated Stones song in their canon and contains some of Taylor's finest guitar work with the band. It's far from an "unremarkable space filler".

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 14, 2012 05:51

Some people call Winter filler and you know what it is partly the Stones fault! The way they go about their shows and the 40 lickas and now GRRR! how is anyone other than a die hard Stones fan ever going to hear anything but so called warhorses??

His Majesty - You are great!!! Winter is a great track you most likely would take Gomper which to me is ETREME FILER!! But to each his own.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 14, 2012 05:53

71Tele

a Twinkie

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 14, 2012 05:59

Gunface is not bad I listened to it tonight but it is filler when compared to SWinter.

Date: September 14, 2012 06:50

slew
Gunface is not bad I listened to it tonight but it is filler when compared to SWinter.

OK, Your Honor, I withdraw the "Gunface" comparison.

"Winter" is about as majestic and soulful a thing that the band has ever done. Mick Jagger wrote great lyrics that sounded like he actually felt human emotions. Hey, what happened to that guy? Maybe they get him back in the band along with Wyman and Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 06:52 by 71Tele.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 07:16

I love Winter too, it makes me hover !
it's one of a kind, if a non Stones fan listened to it, he would hardly believe it was done by the Rolling Stones.

Date: September 14, 2012 09:14

71Tele

A trash can-filler...

Winter isn't a spectacular song, imo. However, I love the strings and Taylor's guitar (what came first, btw?), but it doesn't save this two chord-song from being... just a nice ballad.

I'm having a beef with the sound on Winter as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 09:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 14, 2012 09:51

Winter is a decent track on a filler album.

Mathijs

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: September 14, 2012 10:13

Winter is one of the best Stones songs ever. More better than Don´t Stop, Short And Curlies, Gunface and Following The River for example.

Date: September 14, 2012 10:23

wupperstein
Winter is one of the best Stones songs ever. More better than Don´t Stop, Short And Curlies, Gunface and Following The River for example.

Well...

IMO, Moonlight Mile, Angie, Wild Horses, Shine A Light, Memory Motel, As Tears Go By, Lady Jane, Play With Fire, Back Street Girl, I Am Waiting, No Expectations, I Got The Blues, Let It Loose, Sweet Black Angel, Coming Down Again, How Can I Stop and Time Waits For No One are far superior.

It says something about the quality of the Stones's songs, because Winter isn't a bad track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 10:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 14, 2012 11:06

Taken from a post that I abstained from sending:

A piece of "counter fact"-thinking. [Probably not fit to be called counterfactual thinking as such.]

One point of view though, relating to the song «Waiting on a Friend», probably highly controversial: If I have got the time of the origine right, I would have liked it to have taken the place of «Winter» within GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, which I think would have made «Coming Down Again» and «Waiting on a Friend» an axis for GHS to evolve round in the middle of Side A and B. Not that I do not hold «Winter» to be a great song, but I have started to think it would have been greater in another setting, and I think that «Waiting on a Friend» would have heightened GHS more.

GOAT HEAD'S SOUP to me above all equals «Coming Down Again» as theme and over all feeling, namely from the '68 – '72 albums heights, to which this album to me could almost have belonged with the mentionned suggested change, with «Silver Train» and «Hide Your Love» both replaced by I don't what available songs at the time if any, and possibly (or possibly not) a more «gothic» sounding «Dancing with Mr D» (in the vein of the live boot version, I believe it is «the Jean-Clarke Memorial Service(?)» during the European Tour of 1973).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-14 11:16 by Witness.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home