Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick meets Jim Morrison
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 06:11

From Frank Lisciandro's book MORRISON: A FEAST OF FRIENDS. Jim's friend January Jansen is talking.

Re: Mick meets Jim Morrison
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 12, 2012 07:14

interesting - morrison lived there '68-70 - if this really happened, it would have been pre-July '68 based on the Hollywood Bowl mention. So maybe Mick was in town working on Beggars - since they did some of it at Sunset Sound. That timing works out sort of nice, actually. I've stayed in this room before - it really is just a tiny little trap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 07:15 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 12, 2012 13:34

there's been a thread about this before, apparently Tim Hardin was in the loo and completely missed Jagger's visit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2012 13:51

.........they shoulda showed Mick the door .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 12, 2012 15:23

Was that the Hollywood gig where Mick later sat in the first row together with Jim's girlfriend and he was jealous?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 12, 2012 17:40

From the book - No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Daniel Sugerman

Picture of the Alta Cienega Motel where Mick visited Jim in 1968. And yes it is/was a dive, I stayed there (1 night only) in 1980 in the room on the 2nd floor (middle left) window and Jim's room was the 2nd floor (middle right) window (room 32).

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 12, 2012 19:24

Jim was a polite, intelligent nice guy when he wasn't drinking.

Sorry, I just don't buy the conversation about dancing.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 12, 2012 20:49

Title5, thank you for sharing. Is this from the new edition of Frank Lisciandro's book - published in Italy? I heard it has many "new" (previously unpublished) photos that Frank took of Jim. I was wondering whether to get it cause I wasn't sure if it was in English!

January Jensen designed some of Jim's clothes, that's why he said "I did a new black velvet shirt..."

HBWriter, why do you say the date has to be pre-July 1968? The Doors' Hollywood Bowl concert was July 5, 1968. Was Jagger not in California at this time?

I always thought this Jagger-Morrison meeting story was apocryphal (i.e. bullshit), like 98% of what is said about Jim Morrison but hey maybe it really happened.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 13, 2012 08:42

Claire_M
Is this from the new edition of Frank Lisciandro's book - published in Italy? I heard it has many "new" (previously unpublished) photos that Frank took of Jim. I was wondering whether to get it cause I wasn't sure if it was in English!

My book is copyright 1991, so not a new edition. And then, of course, in the 80's Lisciandro published his first book JIM MORRISON: AN HOUR FOR MAGIC that's more of a straight memoir (versus being a collection of interviews like his second book). And very good.

John Densmore in his bestselling memoir relates Jagger's visit. He said it was a frustrating evening for him (Densmore) because the Doors took Jagger out to dinner, and the restaurant didn't have a table big enough to accommodate everyone, so they ended up sitting at two tables, which was awkward. And then Densmore was furious—(I heard Densmore say this bit on the radio)—at Morrison because early during the concert "something was off" and he learned it was because Morrison had taken acid before taking the stage. Jim's tripping angered Densmore even more than it would have because "Mick Jagger was in the audience." (Jagger later said of the concert, "It was boring." )

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 13, 2012 21:01

Some more here :

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: September 13, 2012 21:03

"We went out for dinner beforehand with Mick Jagger and Mick liked Jim's girfriend Pamela;Jim didn't like that .Mick and Pamela ended up sitting in the middle of the frontrow in the concert"

Wastching the Bowl concert Jim doesn't appear to give a .... the whole concert. He seems happy out (trippin' I know)...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 13, 2012 21:23

This meeting was documented in several books. Apparently Mick was urged to speak to The Doors and see there show at The Hollywood Bowl. Why? The Stones had been off the road for awhile and The Doors were hot and playing to larger audiences. Mick was on a fact finding mission for the Stones on how the touring game had changed.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: September 13, 2012 21:25

I heard Jagger wanted to rip-off Jim Morrison's act...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 13, 2012 21:51

Some info

Morrisson of course kept asking about Brian during the meeting. Jagger obviously created a new Jagger image in Performance (even if that one is based on Brian and Keith) and after. They wanted Gimme Shelter and Rambler to have the same Rock drama feel as When the musics over. Doors were the biggest act in 1968.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 15, 2012 19:14

Youngie
"We went out for dinner beforehand with Mick Jagger and Mick liked Jim's girfriend Pamela;Jim didn't like that .Mick and Pamela ended up sitting in the middle of the frontrow in the concert"

Wastching the Bowl concert Jim doesn't appear to give a .... the whole concert. He seems happy out (trippin' I know)...

This is Pamela. Anyone know who the dog is? From the site [hiphappy.me]

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: September 15, 2012 19:22

this is Grrr ! LOL
Greetings Raluca

Date: September 15, 2012 19:25

I knew Jim Morrison and we discussed his respect for the Rolling Stones.

Morrison kept asking about Brian. Incorrect.

Mick on a "fact-finding mission" Incorrect.

The leading musicians of that era loved to take in other people's shows. It was what young people did then if they had the opportunity. Especially Englishmen in Los Angeles for a few days.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 15, 2012 19:59

2000 LYFH
Youngie

This is Pamela. Anyone know who the dog is? From the site [hiphappy.me]

That's Pam's dog and his name is Sage grinning smiley

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 15, 2012 20:00

stonesrule
I knew Jim Morrison and we discussed his respect for the Rolling Stones.

Morrison kept asking about Brian. Incorrect.

Mick on a "fact-finding mission" Incorrect.

The leading musicians of that era loved to take in other people's shows. It was what young people did then if they had the opportunity. Especially Englishmen in Los Angeles for a few days.

So, and what more information you can share and Jim's opinion about the Rolling Stones? smoking smiley

Date: September 15, 2012 21:24

He admired them. The Doors were one of the leading LA bands but The Rolling Stones were from England! And they did not sound like the Beatles.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: June 6, 2013 05:38

stonesrule
He admired them. The Doors were one of the leading LA bands but The Rolling Stones were from England! And they did not sound like the Beatles.

Stonesrule

Sorry for bringing up an old topic again. I find it interesting you knew Jim Morrison. Are you a writer? I heard Stephen Davis wrote in his Jim Morrison biography that when he met Jagger he kept asking him about Brian Jones, like Jim Morrison had some weird fascination with Brian. I thuoght it was a b.s. story. I am very skeptical of what Stephen Davis writes. I know John Densmore wrote in his autobiography that the Doors were big fans of the Stones and the Aftermath album when it came out. Do you remember anything else tha Jim Morrison told you about his meeting with Mick?

Rob

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 6, 2013 05:59

originalstones
stonesrule

Stonesrule

Sorry for bringing up an old topic again. I find it interesting you knew Jim Morrison. Are you a writer? I heard Stephen Davis wrote in his Jim Morrison biography that when he met Jagger he kept asking him about Brian Jones, like Jim Morrison had some weird fascination with Brian. I thuoght it was a b.s. story. I am very skeptical of what Stephen Davis writes. I know John Densmore wrote in his autobiography that the Doors were big fans of the Stones and the Aftermath album when it came out. Do you remember anything else tha Jim Morrison told you about his meeting with Mick?

Rob

Jim did seem to be fascinated by Brian. He wrote this poetry, had it printed (allegedly at his own expense) and distributed at a Door's concert shortly after Brian's death. According to the story I read, they littered the floor of the concert hall post concert and originals now fetch a pretty penny on Doors collectors sites.

Ode to LA while thinking of Brian Jones, deceased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 06:07 by jazzbass.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: June 6, 2013 06:15

stones w/ Hendrix and meeting Garcia

Date: June 6, 2013 06:17

I remember a lot but so much of what was posted months back is incorrect, and I'm just not in the mood for the BULLY OF IORR to go on the attack..."Sharing" and then being attacked by the haters has come to bore me.

I will say that I never felt that Morrison was over fascinated by Brian the person and musician. Death, however, definitely, was something Jim thought about a lot.

Everyone was freaked out when Brian died. Most of us were too young to know or admire anyone who had actually...died.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 6, 2013 06:22

The funny thing, the way Keith painted Brian in Life, it would seem the famous people who were supposedly fascinated by Brian, is what in fact fascinated Brian most of all.

Date: June 6, 2013 07:26

Do keep in mind that in those years The Beatles and the Stones were far more famous than any American band. America had become anglopiles because of their songs. The Doors and Jefferson Airplane were on their way but they were not in the same league. The Beach Boys escalated due to a masterful publicity campaign when they first went to England. And not too long after Creedence Clearwater hired an expensive LA PR firm to make them a big deal in England and Europe.

The Who were almost up there with the Stones in the UK but never quite achieved as much as they should have in America...mainly due to having a lousy record company...MCA.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 6, 2013 08:56

stonesrule
Do keep in mind that in those years The Beatles and the Stones were far more famous than any American band. America had become anglopiles because of their songs. The Doors and Jefferson Airplane were on their way but they were not in the same league. The Beach Boys escalated due to a masterful publicity campaign when they first went to England. And not too long after Creedence Clearwater hired an expensive LA PR firm to make them a big deal in England and Europe.

The Who were almost up there with the Stones in the UK but never quite achieved as much as they should have in America...mainly due to having a lousy record company...MCA.

Which is the reason the most blistering live rock album ever recorded was never released. In the 60s, The Who were more of a live act than studio artists, but their American breakthrough could have happened a year before Tommy if their Shakin' All Over (April 5, 1968) set from the Fillmore East had been released as scheduled--as this would have captured the essence of The Who on vinyl far better than any of Shel Talmy's and Kit Lambert's previous production efforts had--instead of the record company's decision to release the 30-minute singles hodgepodge Magic Bus: The Who On Tour.

The Shakin' All Over album that never was achieved mythical status by inspiring a Beatles song later that year. While Shakin' All Over was in production Townshend revealed in the NME that The Who had just recorded the loudest, most raucous record ever recorded. This inspired Paul McCartney to write and record Helter Skelter with The Beatles so that they might instead be known for having recorded the "loudest, most raucous record ever recorded."

Well, I have Shakin' All Over on CD finally. Makes for a fine bootleg--but dammit, if it had been officially released back in the day we would have had a deluxe, remastered double-disc set by now....

You're right about MCA. I have a book about the mafia's connection to MCA titled Stiffed: A True Story of MCA, the Music Business, and the Mafia by Bill Knoedelseder. Have you read that one?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:58

stonesrule

I, wholeheartedly, agree: I would add that the Beach Boys were, by 1967, dead in the water in the USA, but still were a high-charting act in the UK.

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: June 6, 2013 12:30

I worked with January a few years before he died , and he said they were at a hotel near the Hollywood Bowl, and jagger showed up , he and Jim talked about the bummers of fame , Jagger went to the show and that was pretty much it.....................

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 19:38

forsure
stones w/ Hendrix and meeting Garcia

Bit OT, but that's the first time I've ever head Ian 'Stu' speak. All I've heard is impressions from Bill.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home