Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Losing My Touch
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2024 23:36

I actually kind of like it now! I guess I got used to it. Hurricane is still terrible though.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2024 00:33

Nice they pick up songs that one can call rightfully obscure. For years one couldn't even stream it.

For me it has always been the goodnight song that ends FORTY LICKS. But now, listened out of that context, on its own, it sounds nice, much better than I recall. The simple video fits to it.

I guess the problem for me with these Keith's jazzy ballads is the inflation of them. There simply are too many of them and the whole concept is just so predictable that I have lost my ability to sense their unique charm. But give one a listen - like this one now - and forget all the rest, then it works.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-07 00:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 7, 2024 05:22

Doxa
Nice they pick up songs that one can call rightfully obscure. For years one couldn't even stream it.

For me it has always been the goodnight song that ends FORTY LICKS. But now, listened out of that context, on its own, it sounds nice, much better than I recall. The simple video fits to it.

I guess the problem for me with these Keith's jazzy ballads is the inflation of them. There simply are too many of them and the whole concept is just so predictable that I have lost my ability to sense their unique charm. But give one a listen - like this one now - and forget all the rest, then it works.

- Doxa

As opposed to all of Mick's rockers and ballads?

You forget, maybe, to take in where Keith was at the time, and why. Yet...

Listen to All About You.

He did Little T&A at the same time.

I wouldn't go off on the fact that Keith usually had at least one track, since 1969, on an album and that they have mostly been ballads. Is that the whole "jazz" bitch?

Damn that cockroach for being a musician!

Italics-live album
1964-1966: nothing
1967: Connection
1968: nothing
1969: You Got The Silver
1970: nothing
1971: nothing
1972: Happy
1973: Coming Down Again
1974: Nothing
1976: Nothing
1977: Happy
1978: Before They Make Me Run
1980: All About You
1981: Little T&A
1982: nothing
1983: Wanna Hold You
1986: Too Rude, Sleep Tonight
1989: Can't Be Seen, Slipping Away
1991: Can't Be Seen
1994: The Worst, Thru And Thru
1995: Slipping Away
1997: Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It, How Can I Stop
1998: Thief In The Night
2002: Losing My Touch
2003: Happy, The Nearness Of You, You Don't Have To Mean It
2005: This Place Is Empty, Infamy
2006: Thru And Thru
2008: You Got The Silver, Little T&A
2012: nothing
2013: You Got The Silver, Happy, Before They Make Me Run
2016: nothing
2023: Tell Me Straight

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 7, 2024 15:28

I think some of the ballads from 1983-2023 is a bit boring,from both Mick and Keith.Not that they are that bad,but boring.I think Keith could have make a very good jazz album,he have the voice for it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2024 06:22

harlem shuffle
I think some of the ballads from 1983-2023 is a bit boring,from both Mick and Keith.Not that they are that bad,but boring.I think Keith could have make a very good jazz album,he have the voice for it.

That's a 31 year period.

Not a lot of ballads, really.

Almost Hear You Sigh and the, depending on how you interpret them, ha ha, there may've been at least 2 on BRIDGES.

Go from there.

Answers just won't do, though.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2024 11:05

These songs are just the other side of Keith.

I was always struck by something he said when being interviewed about Talk is Cheap when it came out.

When asked why he hadn't made a solo record before then, one of his reasons was that it might not have been what folks expected to hear from him.

As it turned out. much of TIC was the expected Keith...but much wasn't.

Keith was just beginning to dare having his image slightly altered to include a softer Keith Richards, influenced by a love of old torch songs and Jazz ballads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-08 12:58 by Spud.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2024 13:48

yeah...I honestly don't understand some of the hate towars LMT...its a beautiful simple ballad...the Mick harmony is also just perfect....the softer side of Keith that we all look for maybe vs the pirate,

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 8, 2024 14:23

A very underrated KR ballad.

Date: January 8, 2024 15:01

Rip This
yeah...I honestly don't understand some of the hate towars LMT...its a beautiful simple ballad...the Mick harmony is also just perfect....the softer side of Keith that we all look for maybe vs the pirate,

I thought it was only Keith on the vocals. Otherwise I agree smiling smiley

It took a few years before I warmed to it, though.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 10, 2024 15:07

A true gem!!! I have a playlist I created of jazz-influenced songs of Keef's, with some Norah Jones thrown in (LOVE their ballad/duet on CEH). Makes for a great play! Use it as the background music for a story/book I'm hoping to write.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2024 15:26

Have you heard Norah Jones's take on "The Worst" ?

It's on You Tube .

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 10, 2024 15:54

Spud
Have you heard Norah Jones's take on "The Worst" ?

It's on You Tube .

Yes, that's in my playlist. Thanks!

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: January 10, 2024 20:15

You Got the Silver was obviously the template for all of Keith's crooner ballads that followed starting in the 80s, so the concept is actually quite old but Keith went back to it more often recently possibly because he finds it fitting to his mellowed older self.
Personally I like to listen to one of those once in a while (depending on my mood) but one at a time is enough, the plodding creeps in with the second and the third I would abort long before it fades out: too little variation tempo-wise and rhythmically, which is understandable given the narrow range (and lacking punch) of Keith's voice that accordingly limits the musical options (you do not want the singer's voice to be drowned out by the instruments).
As to Mick, he can be a fabulous balladeer (and is, imho, really at home in songs with a country vibe such as No Expectations) but ballad writing is tricky, kitsch territory is always just around the corner and Mick has crossed that line quite often with his more recent attempts - maybe they should keep Keith's crooner thing as a staple for every album (it normally works well in the Stones album context as long as it is limited to only one tune) with a Mick ballad only added if he really "feels" it.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home