Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Losing My Touch
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 19, 2013 16:16

Nothing from D & D...??? grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 19, 2013 16:47

Doxa
If we little bit open up the context here, and look what Keith talked in LIFE, and watching his post-BRIDGES TO BABYLON solo song section - "Losing My Touch", "Hurricane", "This PLace Is Empty", "Infamy"; four songs in 15 years, and none of them any spectacular (to put it mildly) - one might imply that probably he emptied his creative pockets in BRIDGES. He - rightly - speaks proudly of those songs - especially "How Can I Stop" - and probably he knew that he hit there something big time, something he probably had tried for some time, and which cannot be easily repeated (and repeating the same thing over and over, does not inspire a creative mind). And Keith has an artistic soul, which cannot be pushed to work by force or deadlines, if the muse is not there. In a way I have alwys admired that 'purity' in Keith. He is truely an artist, including the lazy bastardness it sometimes involves. I guess he can do his routine guitar riffage to Jagger's rockers with best cratmanship manner, but I suppose he already emptied his inspired pockets in that direction as well in MAIN OFFENDER.

- Doxa

I like Hurricane, definitely to the point...haha. I think Keith has another good creative period of his sleeves. I hope he's still being creative now that the tour is over.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 19, 2013 17:33

It is one of the too long and therefore boring Keith's tunes repeating the hook line over and over again. A perfect lullaby for the geriatric hearer ...

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 19, 2013 17:41

71Tele
Meh. Keith got lazy as a songwriter at some point. I think "Slipping Away" was his last truly great one, then came a bunch of so-so tunes like this one. He really started writing riffs, rather than songs, with lots of lyrical filler in them. Sometimes the germ of the idea is quite good, but not fleshed out enough for my taste.

With you on Slipping Away being the last great one. I look at all these latter day Keith songs as mainly signs of how the Jagger/Richard writing partnership has changed. Where Keith talks about 60s and early 70s songs where he supplied a phrase and Mick took it from there, now it seems Keith supplies the phrase and then attempts to stretch it into a song by himself, since MJ isn't interested probably.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2013 18:07

Anyway You Look At It is, musically, a fantastic ballad. Mick is the reason it sucks.

Losing My Touch sounds like a leftover from the BRIDGES sessions - it has that essence. Musically it's a beautiful song. I like Keith's vocal delivery. So it's a big meandering lyrically - why would one complain about that when Keith's worst ever is the tepid pathetic Can't Be Seen?

For once the piano is actually a nice touch.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:37

Quite boring, but listenable drinking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:57

"Losing My Touch"...Keith seeing the future.

Date: September 19, 2013 20:02

GasLightStreet
Anyway You Look At It is, musically, a fantastic ballad. Mick is the reason it sucks.

Losing My Touch sounds like a leftover from the BRIDGES sessions - it has that essence. Musically it's a beautiful song. I like Keith's vocal delivery. So it's a big meandering lyrically - why would one complain about that when Keith's worst ever is the tepid pathetic Can't Be Seen?

Agree on AYLAI!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2013 20:03

BJPortugal
Quite boring, but listenable drinking smiley

I think they should put out a CD of 'boring but ultimately listenable' Stones tracks.

I bet it would sell like a bitch!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2013 20:13

Although I agree with 71Tele that Slipping Away might have been the last great Keith-Rolling Stones song, this one ain't bad:

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2013 05:59

treaclefingers
"Losing My Touch"...Keith seeing the future.

True ... but still a poor song.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2013 06:00

Maindefender

I like Hurricane, definitely to the point...haha.

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to like Hurricane ... its got nothing going for it. Not even a real song, poor melody, blah lyrics, etc.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2013 09:21

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
The song is all about emotions - either you're in or you're out.

Keith's vocals are all about feel here, not structure nor melody.

Half-baked? Of course! This song MUST be half-baked, because of its intuitive and emotional form. Had it been polished and produced it would have been killed, imo.

I can understand that it is "all about emotions" or "feel", but that is simply not enough. The output just isn't much too be remembered. I wish it was - and I can hear what Keith aims there in creating the atmosphere, but the means are too weak this time to achieve that. Good for people who enjoy it very much, but I think people are giving a "free pass" for Keith way too easily. But that's just my view.

- Doxa

It's not enough for you, but it's enough for lots of fans.

No matter how much I hope for it, I simply can't speak in behalf of all fans, but just mine....grinning smiley

Okay, my comment is a bit late...

- Doxa

Date: September 20, 2013 09:37

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
The song is all about emotions - either you're in or you're out.

Keith's vocals are all about feel here, not structure nor melody.

Half-baked? Of course! This song MUST be half-baked, because of its intuitive and emotional form. Had it been polished and produced it would have been killed, imo.

I can understand that it is "all about emotions" or "feel", but that is simply not enough. The output just isn't much too be remembered. I wish it was - and I can hear what Keith aims there in creating the atmosphere, but the means are too weak this time to achieve that. Good for people who enjoy it very much, but I think people are giving a "free pass" for Keith way too easily. But that's just my view.

- Doxa

It's not enough for you, but it's enough for lots of fans.

No matter how much I hope for it, I simply can't speak in behalf of all fans, but just mine....grinning smiley

Okay, my comment is a bit late...

- Doxa

Was it really Losing My Touch we were discussing here? grinning smiley

If so, it isn't as unstructured as I said earlier. I listened to it the other day, and while it is far from a classic - it is an ok ballad from Keith. imo. Some nice guitar/piano interplay in there.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2013 13:33

A pointless song from a man who has nothing to say. I dont care for Keiths "honest" selfpity ballads. Thats why I like Infamy and Thief in the night.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 20, 2013 15:42

extremely boring song

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 20, 2013 20:09

One of the best rolling stones lovesongs ever - right up there with classic ballads like Angie, Wild Horses, Ruby Tuesday, All About You, How Can I Stop or say..eh, Time Waits For No One or Moonlight Mile

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 21, 2013 03:32

KRiffhard
extremely boring song
Please keith that one belongs in the trash bin

Posted by: steini ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:35

Love that song, true feeling and i have been in that position in my live and the song and singing capture it well.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:36

This song is okay. it s not great, its not terrible either somewhere in between and it does sound like Keith is making it up as he goes along. It does not belong on 40 Licks its not good enough. Keys To Your Love and Stealing My Heart don't belong either. Don't Stop was pretty good though.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:52

I never heard it before. Just woke up.
Need to be heavily caffienated when attempting to listen again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-21 04:55 by TonyMo.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 21, 2013 05:38

GasLightStreet

the harmonies are a throwback...and beautiful...Glimmer Twins harmony....if only they'd harmonize some more.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:32

always liked it, i was disappointed they never played it during 2003 tour

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 21, 2013 11:06

LeonidP
Maindefender

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to like Hurricane ... its got nothing going for it. Not even a real song, poor melody, blah lyrics, etc.

Raw delta blues baby!! One take?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 21, 2013 12:29

Everybody's talkin' in whisperzzzzz...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 21, 2013 14:03

RoughJusticeOnYa
Everybody's talkin' in whisperzzzzz...

That 'zzzzzz' sums up well the song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2013 14:15

Maindefender
LeonidP
Maindefender

Raw delta blues baby!! One take?

I also like that little charming tune ("Hurricane"). A nice little coherent piece of work. Reminds me a bit of Dylan's earlie folkie days (but with minimalism of his later days). Or Mississippi John Hurt.
Simple but straight to the point.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-21 14:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: January 6, 2024 19:17

Official Lyric Video:
[youtu.be]

After all these years i still can't stand it. So @#$%& boring.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 6, 2024 23:09

No need to play it on a tour but a nice song on record...see Tom waits....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2024 23:23

One of the most played songs
at retired safe-cracker conventions ........

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home