Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dividing A Bigger Bang Into Two Albums
Date: September 10, 2012 19:52

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
It's needs to be LESSENED, not increased. Typical.

Yes, and no. It needs to be DIVIDED into two separate albums. And of course presented in a different order. Just like I have done here. Try listening to them in exactly the order I have given and see what you think. What is an average album (and below average Stones album) turns into two pretty decent albums.

Date: September 10, 2012 19:58

tatters
Anyone here still think the author of this thread is some kind of "insider"?

It doesn't take an "insider" to turn something average into something above average. It's rare that I come with an idea that turns out to be better than Mick's, but, of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:00

tatters

..by 'insider' you mean he should be inside a mental institution,....then yes, he is an 'insider'...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 10, 2012 20:02

stonesnow
tatters

If he would be remotely critical of something to do with Stonesworld--just remotely so, just for once, the way a real and actual fan would--then I would say no, he couldn't after all be an employee on the PR payroll. Not that there's anything wrong with that... it must be a great job, if it's what one loves to do.

Been wanting Mick to dump the warhorses and stadium shows for years.

Date: September 10, 2012 20:15

Gazza
tatters

Only if the 'inside' youre referring to is some kind of asylum.

The Cuckoo's Nest is right here at IORR.drinking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:22

lunar!!!
tatters

..by 'insider' you mean he should be inside a mental institution,....then yes, he is an 'insider'...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

best post ever!!! damn that is funny.

but back to the topic at hand,this is one of the ways cd's and the digital era ruined rock and roll.
the stones had about 10 good songs for this record and for that matter every one they've done in the digital era.
the problemn is instead of being forced to cut it down to ten they just get lazy and put everything on there.so where you once had a collection of songs that worked together and made a cohesive statement now the records meander all over the place and just sound thrown together..
they probably tell themselves that they put everything on because they havent put out a record in awhile and it creates more value blah blah blah
truth is they're just to lazy to edit the damn things down.

Date: September 10, 2012 20:25

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
tatters

Always have, always will. And a horrible insider at that. Awful.

I hate stadium shows and the over-playing of the warhorses, and just dismantled and re-constructed ABB into two separate albums! Do you think Mick would send someone like that here to criticize his decision making?

Date: September 10, 2012 20:36

Kurt
I thought it was fine the way it was.

That's the problem. The Stones have a history of being better than "just fine". It was OK, a below average Stones album. If they had made two albums out of it both of them would have been above average provided the songs made it onto the proper album and in the proper order. I think I have done a pretty good job of that here.

Date: September 10, 2012 20:41

lunar!!!
tatters

Thought I was in the cuckoo's nest with all you lunatics? Crazy good, of course.smileys with beer

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:52

Hardly enough tracks to make one decent 40 minute album . How could that shite be stretched to two ? No way

Everything after Steel Wheels has been too long IMHO .

SC UK

Date: September 10, 2012 20:58

lem motlow
lunar!!!
tatters

best post ever!!! damn that is funny.

but back to the topic at hand,this is one of the ways cd's and the digital era ruined rock and roll.
the stones had about 10 good songs for this record and for that matter every one they've done in the digital era.
the problemn is instead of being forced to cut it down to ten they just get lazy and put everything on there.so where you once had a collection of songs that worked together and made a cohesive statement now the records meander all over the place and just sound thrown together..
they probably tell themselves that they put everything on because they havent put out a record in awhile and it creates more value blah blah blah
truth is they're just to lazy to edit the damn things down.

Sounds like you are basically in agreement with me judging by your comments. I would argue that they had more than ten good songs to work with.

Date: September 10, 2012 21:06

straycatuk
Hardly enough tracks to make one decent 40 minute album . How could that shite be stretched to two ? No way

Everything after Steel Wheels has been too long IMHO .

SC UK

Try listening to the songs as I have listed them and tell me if you don't notice an improvement. Imagine them as two separate albums.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:12

The result is the same: bad album

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:17

KRiffhard

But only half as bad this time !

Date: September 10, 2012 21:18

KRiffhard

Can't be, I have divided them into two separate albums. Do you feel both of them are bad? Try listening to them in the order I have given. Pretend they are two separate albums. One is light and upbeat while the other is somber and full of reflection and pain.

Date: September 10, 2012 21:33

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Gazza
tatters

Only if the 'inside' youre referring to is some kind of asylum.

The Cuckoo's Nest is right here at IORR.drinking smiley

Probably why Mick caters more to us "casual fans" than he does you "hardcores".spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:50

Erik_Snow
KRiffhard

No. ABB is to me by far their best album since Tatoo You. It contains some really great stuf. It could have had more impact if a sort of SMU was in it. But agree that 16 songs was too much. A more compact with 10 songs ( Which ones ?) would have had more impact. And maybe a touch of more Keith involvement. MickT would have been the right guy to be the second guitar and bring some genius touch in that opus. But in any case this would be their last album ever, it seems.

Date: September 10, 2012 22:04

phd
Erik_Snow
KRiffhard

No. ABB is to me by far their best album since Tatoo You. It contains some really great stuf. It could have had more impact if a sort of SMU was in it. But agree that 16 songs was too much. A more compact with 10 songs ( Which ones ?) would have had more impact. And maybe a touch of more Keith involvement. MickT would have been the right guy to be the second guitar and bring some genius touch in that opus. But in any case this would be their last album ever, it seems.

I never like to see more than ten songs on any album. Eight is even better.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2012 22:29

phd
Erik_Snow
KRiffhard

I never like to see more than ten songs on any album. Eight is even better.

Why don't you make a double LP and trow one away grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 10, 2012 23:04

This paid writer thing: I have been thinking about that for a while. Why post here for free when you can get paid for every letter you write? So, can someone guide me? How much is it and who do you talk to?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 10, 2012 23:42

Max'sKansasCity
Bring dat album over here...

Max's KC, love your sense of humor and your loyalty to the Stones. Sometimes family members give us the most pain but we can never quit on them. Lots of quitters around here. You are not one of them and I am sure the Stones know who you are. smileys with beer

Thank you smiling smiley and right back at you smileys with beer

Its good to be here... its good to be anywhere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 23:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 11, 2012 00:03

OK, let's try this:

Album #1

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Driving Too Fast
Infamy
Under the Radar
Don't Wanna Go Home

Album #2

It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Laughinearlydied
Sweet Neo Con
Look What the Cat Dragged In

Date: September 11, 2012 01:17

billwebster
OK, let's try this:

Album #1

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Driving Too Fast
Infamy
Under the Radar
Don't Wanna Go Home

Album #2

It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Laughinearlydied
Sweet Neo Con
Look What the Cat Dragged In

Pretty good, pretty good, pretty good, pretty good,.....thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 11, 2012 02:06

I haven't actually read most of the posts here, but ABB is already divided into two albums, if you happen to have the vinyl.

Do you want them in separate album covers as well, would that help?

Date: September 11, 2012 06:49

Stoneage
This paid writer thing: I have been thinking about that for a while. Why post here for free when you can get paid for every letter you write? So, can someone guide me? How much is it and who do you talk to?

Can you imagine how much Doxa would be worth today if he had been getting paid by the word all these years?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 11, 2012 16:57

Kurt

That's the problem. The Stones have a history of being better than "just fine". It was OK, a below average Stones album. If they had made two albums out of it both of them would have been above average provided the songs made it onto the proper album and in the proper order. I think I have done a pretty good job of that here.

Yes.
Fair enough.

I humbly request that the next "NEW" original album be an above average Double LP then.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:01

How about we "divide" it into a single?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:32

Stoneage

Can you imagine how much Doxa would be worth today if he had been getting paid by the word all these years?

Yeah, MSSR50! He would be up there with Zuckerberg and Jagger. A billionaire in both words and dollars. Personally, I always find it an ordeal just putting two sentences together. After that I'm done!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2012 18:06

We've discussed it before, but I suspect altering the sequencing would have made the album stronger. Of course, I would also have added in all three "B-sides" that turned up in 2005 as well. What it really needed was stronger lyrics in some cases and a mix that wasn't made by someone partially deaf for the express purpose of affecting the listener the same way. The 2009 remaster has some very slight differences detectable if you're listening closely with headphones, but it can't be considered an improvement, sadly. This was the beginning of the mastering demolition project.

Date: September 11, 2012 19:11

Kurt
Kurt

Yes.
Fair enough.

I humbly request that the next "NEW" original album be an above average Double LP then.

Works for me.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home