Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Keith Moon died this day, 1978
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 7, 2012 18:06

The problem unfortunatly with Keith taking pills is it seemed inevitable that he would OD on them. The past 15 years of his life, Keith never did anything in small doses. He took far more pills then was neccesary on the night he died. A story in Tony Fletcher's book Dear Boy describes how Keith would just grab a handful of pills and swallow them all. It was sad really.
Finally, not sure if Fletcher's book or elsewhere, but it was indicated that the other members of the Who were going to eject Keith because of his lifestyle. That was part of the reason that Moon began trying in his own way to clean up. Would it have worked? No one knows.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:27

Some more last pictures :

[www.feelnumb.com]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:29

Keith Moon in one of his better moments, from Wideworld in Concert (1974), doing what he did best (poor goldfish!):

The same performance in a shorter version, but with humorous interaction with the audience at the end:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 02:03 by stonesnow.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 04:50

Keith at his peak - IMO

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 04:52 by custom55.

Date: September 8, 2012 05:05

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:09

The Who have NEVER been the same without Moon. They have tried and Zach Starkey does a decent job but he still is not Keith. To me Keith was perfect for the Who his wild style was perfect for their music, Technically speaking he hasd a hard time keeping time which John Entwistle has spoken about and was sometimes frustrated by. He would be all wrong in a band like the Stones. It's a shame he passed at 32.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:46

I first met Keith Moon at La Chasse, a Soho pub in Wardour Street and fabulous musicians hangout. It was my first trip to London, just out of school, and a well-connected friend insisted that I have an afternoon drink at La Chasse. I felt SO grown-up. Suddenly, this happy smiling fellow came up to me and wanted to buy me a drink. "Is it true you're from Los Angeles?" he asked. "I'm Keith," he said. My being from LA obviously was a big deal to him and I was half-shy, half-laughing, especially when he asked, "Do you happen to know Sandy Nelson?"

He was ecstatic when I said I"d met Sandy at a record store and that he seemed like a nice guy. "He's my idol," Keith said.

Date: September 9, 2012 02:37

Keith's Pythonesque humor takes center stage in the these radio spots recorded in summer 1973 for the BBC Top Gear program. These skits were included on the 1994 Maximum R&B collection.

Life With The Moons I (0:00 to 1:42)
Life With The Moons II (1:43 to 2:28)
University Challenge (2:29 to 2:58)
Poetry Cornered (2:59 to 3:31)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 22:50 by stonesnow.

Date: September 9, 2012 22:55

The Who being interviewed on Russell Harty Plus Pop in 1973, with Keith taking over...

Date: September 10, 2012 01:21

Lots of Keith in the video segments of Live at Leeds. They need to release this !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 01:25 by custom55.

Date: September 10, 2012 03:10

custom55
Lots of Keith in the video segments of Live at Leeds. They need to release this !!!

Yes, for a long time I had always wondered if there was even actual film footage of this concert. Trouble is, though, I believe there was only one camera angle for the whole show, as shown in the clip, and it does not appear to be a pro-shot.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 03:21

WOW! That video material from Leeds looks damn good! They should release it! FOr sure!

Date: September 10, 2012 03:35

whitem8
WOW! That video material from Leeds looks damn good! They should release it! FOr sure!

There's a fantastically fitting irony about the advertisement that accompanies that clip. Did you notice the Holiday Inn ad? It was at an American Holiday Inn in 1976 that Keith celebrated his 21st birthday by notoriously driving a Lincoln Continental into the hotel swimming pool running from the cops--a move that got The Who banned for life from Holiday Inns.

Date: September 10, 2012 04:59

Yeah I was laughing at that. They were banned for life from Holiday Inns around the world. That was where he chipped his tooth too. Great one!

Date: September 10, 2012 05:43

whitem8
Yeah I was laughing at that. They were banned for life from Holiday Inns around the world. That was where he chipped his tooth too. Great one!

To clear up a longstanding myth: The Who were NOT banned from Holiday Inn's. In fact in October 1969 Pete Townshend wrote on a Holiday Inn letterhead about the Kinks and The Who sharing a bill together in October 1969 in Chicago.
[www.flavorwire.com]
There is much rock myth surrounding Keith's 21st Birthday party (much of it perpetrated by Keith himself) that the story has become legendary. The basics (as I have read) was that a party got out of control. Keith either slipped on a piece of cake, or fell into the then empty swimming pool chipping his tooth. The most damage done to cars that night was that Moon and others sprayed fire extinguisher's on the windshields of parked cars.
It all makes for a great rock N roll story (much like Keith Richards complete blood transfusion), but most of it is false sad smiley

Date: September 10, 2012 06:09

LOL. Love the soup Nazi...
Strange, I knew about the whole cake thing, but I thought I read a memo to the band from Holiday Inn saying they were banned.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 10, 2012 06:26

whitem8
LOL. Love the soup Nazi...
grinning smiley

Date: September 10, 2012 06:30

Happy Jack
whitem8

To clear up a longstanding myth: The Who were NOT banned from Holiday Inn's. In fact in October 1969 Pete Townshend wrote on a Holiday Inn letterhead about the Kinks and The Who sharing a bill together in October 1969 in Chicago.
[www.flavorwire.com]
There is much rock myth surrounding Keith's 21st Birthday party (much of it perpetrated by Keith himself) that the story has become legendary. The basics (as I have read) was that a party got out of control. Keith either slipped on a piece of cake, or fell into the then empty swimming pool chipping his tooth. The most damage done to cars that night was that Moon and others sprayed fire extinguisher's on the windshields of parked cars.
It all makes for a great rock N roll story (much like Keith Richards complete blood transfusion), but most of it is false sad smiley

Perhaps they rescinded the ban by 1969, but the order as of 1967 was to ban them--if it's just myth, then it's perpetrated by The Who themselves in their authorized film documentary from 2007, Amazing Journey. Also, Pete Townshend's long-time guitar tech Bob Pridden most definitely confirms that a car did wind up in the swimming pool that night and the narration confirms that "Mooney chipped a tooth running from the Law and The Who was banned from Holiday Inns for life." Also, Keith's birthday was August 23, so why would a hotel swimming pool be empty in the middle of summer, during vacation season no less, when business is peaking?

Date: September 10, 2012 07:36

stonesnow
Happy Jack
whitem8

[www.flavorwire.com]

Perhaps they rescinded the ban by 1969, but the order as of 1967 was to ban them--if it's just myth, then it's perpetrated by The Who themselves in their authorized film documentary from 2007, Amazing Journey. Also, Pete Townshend's long-time guitar tech Bob Pridden most definitely confirms that a car did wind up in the swimming pool that night and the narration confirms that "Mooney chipped a tooth running from the Law and The Who was banned from Holiday Inns for life." Also, Keith's birthday was August 23, so why would a hotel swimming pool be empty in the middle of summer, during vacation season no less, when business is peaking?

One thing to remember is that rock stars memories tend to be hazy (not sure why....) but John Entwistle has said that Keith Moon never even went near a car that night.
From the Hypertext Who site:
What's this legendary 21st birthday party of Keith's I hear about?

On August 23, 1967, Decca held a 21st birthday party for Keith at the Holiday Inn in Flint, Michigan. It has been written in the past that it was actually Keith's 20th, but that he claimed he was 21 so he could get served alcohol. However, it actually was his 21st birthday. He slipped on some cake after a food fight and broke out a front tooth. He was taken to a dentist for emergency repairs and by the time he got back, most of the damage at the hotel was done, mostly by members of Herman's Hermits! There was no car driven into a swimming pool EVER and The Who were not banned from Holiday Inns. In fact, they stayed at Holiday Inns throughout their 1968 tour. [www.thewho.net]

Its likely that The Who perpetrated the story, either because it makes for good publicity and again a rock N roll story, or because even they've come to believe it. Moon himself started telling the story in a 1972 interview with Rolling Stone magazine. Moon was known for embellishing certain events in his life (e.g joining the Who. Its often stated that Moon just walked onstage in 1964 and said I can play better than that guy, or something like that. As Tony Fletcher points out, its more likely that he auditioned for the spot just like any other drummer did. But again it adds to Keith Moon's "mystique).
I guess in the end, either it did or didn't happen, take your pic. Some accounts say it did, others say it didn't. Again it makes for a great rock n roll story, like the aforementioned Keith Richards thing, Zeppelin and the shark in Seattle in the early 70's, Ozzy and the bat and so on.

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: September 10, 2012 08:56

This Korean drummer isn't called Moon, unfortunately, although it is a common Korean name, but he seems to be a KM disciple:

A Korean boxer named Moon came to fight in the country I'm living in, and got knocked out, and the headline in the following day's paper read: Moon Sees Stars.

A more worthy contender for the King of Drummers title would be Carmine Appice:

Date: September 10, 2012 09:00

Happy Jack
stonesnow
Happy Jack
whitem8

[www.flavorwire.com]

One thing to remember is that rock stars memories tend to be hazy (not sure why....) but John Entwistle has said that Keith Moon never even went near a car that night.
From the Hypertext Who site:
What's this legendary 21st birthday party of Keith's I hear about?

On August 23, 1967, Decca held a 21st birthday party for Keith at the Holiday Inn in Flint, Michigan. It has been written in the past that it was actually Keith's 20th, but that he claimed he was 21 so he could get served alcohol. However, it actually was his 21st birthday. He slipped on some cake after a food fight and broke out a front tooth. He was taken to a dentist for emergency repairs and by the time he got back, most of the damage at the hotel was done, mostly by members of Herman's Hermits! There was no car driven into a swimming pool EVER and The Who were not banned from Holiday Inns. In fact, they stayed at Holiday Inns throughout their 1968 tour. [www.thewho.net]

Its likely that The Who perpetrated the story, either because it makes for good publicity and again a rock N roll story, or because even they've come to believe it. Moon himself started telling the story in a 1972 interview with Rolling Stone magazine. Moon was known for embellishing certain events in his life (e.g joining the Who. Its often stated that Moon just walked onstage in 1964 and said I can play better than that guy, or something like that. As Tony Fletcher points out, its more likely that he auditioned for the spot just like any other drummer did. But again it adds to Keith Moon's "mystique).
I guess in the end, either it did or didn't happen, take your pic. Some accounts say it did, others say it didn't. Again it makes for a great rock n roll story, like the aforementioned Keith Richards thing, Zeppelin and the shark in Seattle in the early 70's, Ozzy and the bat and so on.

Well, I've got to side with The Who with this one, and if Bobby Pridden, who was there, says that a car wound up in the swimming pool, then I believe that a car did wind up in the swimming pool. The hypertext Who site is not an authorized site, so none of those people were there. Also, how do you get emergency repairs for a chipped tooth after business hours that same day? You mean a local dentist would be on call just in case? Not likely. Recall that Paul McCartney appeared at the '66 NME awards and in the Paperback Writer and Rain promo clips with a chipped front tooth--meaning that even with a regular dentist, such repairs take time. You have to have impressions made, then these are sent to the lab where the crown or cap is made, you're talking at least a month to repair a chipped tooth.

As for Moon joining The Who, Roger Daltrey has told the exact same story over many years: They were at a gig and Daltrey was getting ready to take a break when this "gingerbread man" appeared at the front of the stage (Moon was dressed all in brown with peroxide-dyed hair--because he wanted to be a Beach Boy) saying "I hear you're looking for a drummer. Well I'm much better than the one you got." Then he got up onstage and auditioned on the spot, and the drums were in tatters by the time he was through. Daltrey and Townshend have always told the same story of his having joined with them in this way. Don't know Entwistle's take on it, though--he likely has a different tale to tell.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:10

All this talk above of Keith Moon and hotels has dredged up a Steve Martin memory:

Date: September 10, 2012 10:16

Here is a rare comedy audio clip recorded in the mid-70s (Tony Fletcher's bio "Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon" places it at October 11, 1975, at BBC studios in Maida Vale, London) for an uncompleted album that was only played on BBC Radio 1 in 1981 by John Walters for his show Walters' Weekly. The piece is called Cooking With Keith Moon:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 10:20 by stonesnow.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:25

More footage from 1974's Worlwide In Concert posted above, but with special guest Ringo:

Date: September 10, 2012 23:32

A drummer with a Keith Moon approach interprets what 4 tracks from the Face Dances album might have sounded like had Keith been around to play on them.

Date: September 11, 2012 20:18

From the Classic Albums DVD series on Who's Next, The Who remember Keith Moon and his drumming.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home