Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Are currently the Rolling Stones a Fraud??
Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: September 6, 2012 23:40

MightyStonesStillRollin50
SoulPlunderer
GumbootCloggeroo
Mick's appearances at the Grammys and SNL have spawned a whole new generation of fans.
How do you know that? Did you take a poll?

The Stones marketing team is second to none. smoking smiley

Good comedy.

The Stones marketing team have come up with an album called GRRR! fronted by a giant gorilla. No marketing team in the world could top THAT!

This gorilla is destined to become world famous!

Again, good comedy.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 11, 2012 03:44

drbryant
I could care less about yet another greatest hits compilation. But, the Brussels Affair box is one of the worst marketing ploys I have ever seen. $750 if you want to own a copy of the album? That's just ridiculous, and just unfortunate as most real fans would love to own a copy of the album on CD or vinyl.

But it comes with a genuine Seiko!!!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 12, 2012 17:02

Stoneage
Yes, they are. But a highly popular and requested fraud. We can't wait for the next scam they are gonna dupe us with. Another compilation, another re-issue or whatever overpriced merchandise they are flogging this week. We will buy it all. Come on! What's next? An autographed ape? How much is it? I'll buy that too!

giant helium-filled banana with lips logo on it-- in a steel 'roadie' box with poster of 1932 king kong movie signed by chuck leavells' piano tuners' assistant, plus very special double issue of latest curious george comic book autographed by a litho machine that is in a machine shop in a town where the Stones played in 1967....order now and also recieve a genuine bag of peanuts leftover from the gig in Fresno California in 2005 and for the first 100 people using their titanium card---a never-before-released recording from the cum n' go motel in Asbury Park New Jersey recorded in the third bungalows' lavatory featuring Ronnies' bagman, bobby keys' sister in-law, and the guy who recorded it....a rousing version of "it's a long way to Tipperary" with an incredible sax break! Recorded on the '81 tour and also available on CD,LP,cassette,8-track, download,and wax cylinder....also inside a smaller steel box with miniature bananas on it and all this comes wrapped in a safari-style print with a copy of the 1963 Bob Hope comedy film "Call me Bwana" with the deleted scenes of the Stones performing "I go ape over you baby" restored....and if you order before midnight tonight---we will throw in at absolutely no cost to us a brand new vinyl 7" copy of the current single "one Last Shot" on multi-coloured swirly wax, numbered with a certificate of authenticity signed by the guy who empties the wastebasket at the pressing plant! ACT NOW!!!! $28,500 US postage extra of course. Strictly Limited (to how many we can sell) SO ACT NOW!!! hey,,what are you waiting for??....sounds like a GGRRRRREAT DEAL!!!!

Date: September 12, 2012 18:59

RE: Mick's appearances at the Grammys and SNL have spawned a whole new generation of fans.

- or not. probly not, i'm guessing.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 12, 2012 20:06

pinkfloydthebarber
RE: Mick's appearances at the Grammys and SNL have spawned a whole new generation of fans.

- or not. probly not, i'm guessing.

Yeah I don't think the Stones have any 'new' fans from SNL or the Grammys. Folks who like Arcade Fire already like the Stones, and a single performance with Mick might not change anyone's opinion. The gorilla doesn't appeal to anyone. It is just a plain bad cover/title/concept.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 12, 2012 20:20

Glen Campbell performed at the Grammys earlier this year. I guess that means that his appearance has spawned a whole new generation of fans. His records were just flying off the shelves after his appearance!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 12, 2012 21:24

In answer to the original question, and compared to Bob Dylan with Tempest, yes: the Stones are a fraud. No new product, thin gruel via a new greatest hits package, and none of the Stonesarchive bootleg series on CD.

Date: September 12, 2012 22:33

This is a fraud...

Comparing Stones to MiliVanilli is in a stones fan forum by stones fans is beyond me.....

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 12, 2012 22:37

treaclefingers
oldschool
The Stones are amateurs compared to Kiss...get back to me when there is a Stones coffin

The Bill Wyman Metal Detector can also be used to locate buried coffins, presuming metal handles.

Plus a whole lot more--even metal plates in people's backs...

Date: September 13, 2012 01:15

Yes, they are. And if it is not a 'fraud' they are, then it is something else, equally bad.
The real target audience of the Stones is us. There is no one else. There is not some other, equally vocal hardcore fan base whose opinions are opposite to our's. And here we are, pretty steamed. I mean you can't say that the overall sentiment of the board is "yay Stones; good lookin out". There is thread after thread about someone who is pissed off.
That is not a healthy fanbase. Now if this was just the way it was for rock-fans, that would be one thing. But I myself own many superb sets by major artists that were put together specifically for the hardcore fans. Where the artist made sure to find out what it is that their fans really hoped for. And did the research, and brought in the technos to make it rock. Deep album cuts, unreleased stuff, live shows that had not been seen before.
I am not an audiophile. I don't need a pristine 180 gram vinyl pressing in a vintage sleeve (although I wouldn't turn it away); I am not rich, I can't afford no Genesis Book-press $1000 book; I don't need a Jagger photo gallery opening in Paris for 1 week. But is it really too much to ask that the Stones organization employs a dude who scans the Net, and tells them what is up in the real world?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 13, 2012 01:22

Palace Revolution 2000
But I myself own many superb sets by major artists that were put together specifically for the hardcore fans. Where the artist made sure to find out what it is that their fans really hoped for. And did the research, and brought in the technos to make it rock. Deep album cuts, unreleased stuff, live shows that had not been seen before.

Yeah but what did we have to work with to actually EXPECT any of this? It was a pipedream if anyone here actually expected them to put out some kind of archive box set. Did they put out one in 2002 for the 40th Anniversary? Nope. We got 40 Licks. This year, we get "GRR!"...how this is a real shocker for most I won't get.

I suppose we've all forgotten about the amount of stuff we DID get: live show downloads, Live in Texas '78, Some Girls Bonus Disk, LSTNT, Muddy Waters DVD...I'm not sure we can really label this year as a "bust" when we did get all those great things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-13 01:22 by Justin.

Date: September 13, 2012 01:37

Justin
Palace Revolution 2000
But I myself own many superb sets by major artists that were put together specifically for the hardcore fans. Where the artist made sure to find out what it is that their fans really hoped for. And did the research, and brought in the technos to make it rock. Deep album cuts, unreleased stuff, live shows that had not been seen before.

Yeah but what did we have to work with to actually EXPECT any of this? It was a pipedream if anyone here actually expected them to put out some kind of archive box set. Did they put out one in 2002 for the 40th Anniversary? Nope. We got 40 Licks. This year, we get "GRR!"...how this is a real shocker for most I won't get.

I suppose we've all forgotten about the amount of stuff we DID get: live show downloads, Live in Texas '78, Some Girls Bonus Disk, LSTNT, Muddy Waters DVD...I'm not sure we can really label this year as a "bust" when we did get all those great things.

I'm not talking just about this year.
And the only reason I sort of expected something this year is because Jagger promised it. The SG and Exile discs were nice. The Texas DVD...nice. But I can't deny that it felt like we were all waiting on this big payoff release. Like those were appetizers. There was announcements, the 'eyes'; this was going to be the big one> And then..big Hits.
I know I am sounding like some greedy child. I don't want to. This is the first time I have posted in threads of this sort with this kind of post. But Tom Petty, Neil Young,..all these guys that have been around forever, and on some level realize that there is a time to do right by their fans. Hendrix, Zappa even..dead guys are doing it better than Stones.

Date: September 13, 2012 01:56

Palace Revolution 2000
Yes, they are. And if it is not a 'fraud' they are, then it is something else, equally bad.
The real target audience of the Stones is us. There is no one else. There is not some other, equally vocal hardcore fan base whose opinions are opposite to our's. And here we are, pretty steamed. I mean you can't say that the overall sentiment of the board is "yay Stones; good lookin out". There is thread after thread about someone who is pissed off.
That is not a healthy fanbase. Now if this was just the way it was for rock-fans, that would be one thing. But I myself own many superb sets by major artists that were put together specifically for the hardcore fans. Where the artist made sure to find out what it is that their fans really hoped for. And did the research, and brought in the technos to make it rock. Deep album cuts, unreleased stuff, live shows that had not been seen before.
I am not an audiophile. I don't need a pristine 180 gram vinyl pressing in a vintage sleeve (although I wouldn't turn it away); I am not rich, I can't afford no Genesis Book-press $1000 book; I don't need a Jagger photo gallery opening in Paris for 1 week. But is it really too much to ask that the Stones organization employs a dude who scans the Net, and tells them what is up in the real world?

Methinks they have one here on the board, but one who instead tries to put rose-tinted glasses over our eyes, imploring us to be eternally impressed with the "genius" of Jagger. Genius is greed, when you've attended the LSE...

Date: September 13, 2012 01:58

Palace Revolution 2000
And the only reason I sort of expected something this year is because Jagger promised it. The SG and Exile discs were nice. The Texas DVD...nice. But I can't deny that it felt like we were all waiting on this big payoff release. Like those were appetizers. There was announcements, the 'eyes'; this was going to be the big one> And then..big Hits.
I know I am sounding like some greedy child. I don't want to. This is the first time I have posted in threads of this sort with this kind of post. But Tom Petty, Neil Young,..all these guys that have been around forever, and on some level realize that there is a time to do right by their fans. Hendrix, Zappa even..dead guys are doing it better than Stones.

When did Mick announce an archive set? I just remember that there'd be many "lovely things" to come throughout the year. That vague expectation has been met and the year isn't over yet.

I don't know why we'd expect Mick out of everyone to help put together an archive box set when it took THIS LONG to finally release a few archive shows? I get our point, Palace, you're one of my favorite posters but I just can't subscribe to this expectation that were waiting for "the big one"...meaning an archive/outtakes box set or anything of the kind. Nothing about how Mick approaches the Stones or its releases would suggest that he'd be interested in putting togehter a box set. He coudln't even release the outtakes off Exile and SG without going into the studio to redo vocals. Wasn't going to happen...

Date: September 13, 2012 02:40

A popular feeling:

Many musicians in their grizzled late maturity have an uncertain grasp on their earliest days on the bandstand. (Not a few have an uncertain grasp on last week.) But Springsteen, who is sixty-two and among the most durable musicians since B. B. King and Om Kalthoum, seems to remember every gaudy night, from the moment, in 1957, when he and his mother watched Elvis on “The Ed Sullivan Show”—“I looked at her and I said, ‘I wanna be just . . . like . . . that’ ”—to his most recent exploits as a multimillionaire populist rock star crowd-surfing the adoring masses. These days, he is the subject of historical exhibitions; at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, in Cleveland, and at the National Constitution Center, in Philadelphia, his lyric sheets, old cars, and faded performing duds have been displayed like the snippets of the Shroud. But, unlike the Rolling Stones, say, who have not written a great song since the disco era and come together only to pad their fortunes as their own cover band, Springsteen refuses to be a mercenary curator of his past. He continues to evolve as an artist, filling one spiral notebook after another with ideas, quotations, questions, clippings, and, ultimately, new songs.

From The New Yorker, July 30, 2012

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-13 02:42 by MILKYWAY.

Date: September 13, 2012 02:45

MILKYWAY
But, unlike the Rolling Stones, say, who have not written a great song since the disco era and come together only to pad their fortunes as their own cover band, Springsteen refuses to be a mercenary curator of his past.

Yeah not one "great" song since 1978...yeah sure that's a fair assessment.

Date: September 13, 2012 03:46

Justin
MILKYWAY
But, unlike the Rolling Stones, say, who have not written a great song since the disco era and come together only to pad their fortunes as their own cover band, Springsteen refuses to be a mercenary curator of his past.

You are preaching to the choir. The author completely overlooked Tattoo You, which is the album that first got me hooked.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 13, 2012 03:56

yet to be determined

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2012 04:02

No, they are not frauds. They are very old men who choose to still work together in a limited fashion. They won't suddenly start cranking out albums every year or every other year. They very likely won't perform a stadium world tour of the same duration or length as in the past if they do indeed tour again. Quite honestly, considering they are past retirement age and taking into account their lifestyles and health issues, it is remarkable they choose to do anything or are able to do so at all.

Date: September 13, 2012 05:06

Rocky Dijon
No, they are not frauds. They are very old men who choose to still work together in a limited fashion. They won't suddenly start cranking out albums every year or every other year. They very likely won't perform a stadium world tour of the same duration or length as in the past if they do indeed tour again. Quite honestly, considering they are past retirement age and taking into account their lifestyles and health issues, it is remarkable they choose to do anything or are able to do so at all.

Please make this your signature.

Date: September 13, 2012 06:35

MILKYWAY
Justin
MILKYWAY

You are preaching to the choir. The author completely overlooked Tattoo You, which is the album that first got me hooked.

Same here, as for when I first became a Stones fan, though I was already listening to all their classic stuff a bit before its release. However, there is only one post-1978 track on the collection, Tattoo You--Neighbors.

Date: September 13, 2012 12:20

Justin
Palace Revolution 2000

When did Mick announce an archive set? I just remember that there'd be many "lovely things" to come throughout the year. That vague expectation has been met and the year isn't over yet.

I don't know why we'd expect Mick out of everyone to help put together an archive box set when it took THIS LONG to finally release a few archive shows? I get our point, Palace, you're one of my favorite posters but I just can't subscribe to this expectation that were waiting for "the big one"...meaning an archive/outtakes box set or anything of the kind. Nothing about how Mick approaches the Stones or its releases would suggest that he'd be interested in putting togehter a box set. He coudln't even release the outtakes off Exile and SG without going into the studio to redo vocals. Wasn't going to happen...

And I get what you're saying.
No, Jagger did not announce an archive set. But he did say "it's going to be a good year; got some fancy stuff coming your way; lots of treats" (to paraphrase). And so - for the first time in a LONg time - I let my own cynicism be swayed. I hoped for something really lasting. A grand final statement. And I do have a barometer to go by: other artists, the market. That is what my point is - that so many other big artists have done this; and I say "why not my guys?"
As the year progressed, there were releases, good releases, but we have been kind of on the fence here. Im here almost every day, and it has been building to...something. I know I have been waiting. I must be a fool.
It's like you say, we shouldn't get our hopes up from Jagger.
You know, I don't for a second think the Stones owe us anything. I just wish they would give us one more gift. And to come back to the original question about 'fraud'; I only call them sometHIng like that because they have said (mick and Keith) thaT they were coming through with the goods.
Rocky Dijon is a poster I dig very much, but that is a position I can't subscribe to very much. About them being old men, and we should be glad to get anything at all. I am aware of their age. believe me - when I see posts about "let's wait for one album, and in 2 years we get Wyman etc" my first thought is always "who knows if any of them will even be alive next year?".
And I don't exp[ect them to go on the road; matter of fact I HOPE they don't. Same with new albums. But that is why I hoped that they see this as a time to...alright I am repeating myself.
Pleasure.

Date: September 13, 2012 12:57

Palace Revolution 2000
Justin
Palace Revolution 2000

And I get what you're saying.
No, Jagger did not announce an archive set. But he did say "it's going to be a good year; got some fancy stuff coming your way; lots of treats" (to paraphrase). And so - for the first time in a LONg time - I let my own cynicism be swayed. I hoped for something really lasting. A grand final statement. And I do have a barometer to go by: other artists, the market. That is what my point is - that so many other big artists have done this; and I say "why not my guys?"
As the year progressed, there were releases, good releases, but we have been kind of on the fence here. Im here almost every day, and it has been building to...something. I know I have been waiting. I must be a fool.
It's like you say, we shouldn't get our hopes up from Jagger.
You know, I don't for a second think the Stones owe us anything. I just wish they would give us one more gift. And to come back to the original question about 'fraud'; I only call them sometHIng like that because they have said (mick and Keith) thaT they were coming through with the goods.
Rocky Dijon is a poster I dig very much, but that is a position I can't subscribe to very much. About them being old men, and we should be glad to get anything at all. I am aware of their age. believe me - when I see posts about "let's wait for one album, and in 2 years we get Wyman etc" my first thought is always "who knows if any of them will even be alive next year?".
And I don't exp[ect them to go on the road; matter of fact I HOPE they don't. Same with new albums. But that is why I hoped that they see this as a time to...alright I am repeating myself.
Pleasure.

I totally get you here, Palace. There's gotta be "a big one" coming for us.

However, it is very wise of the Stones not to release that before next year, imo. If indeed there are extended Stones-activity next year, the big one would be the teaser for the not so die hard-fans, too.

Personally, I think Jagger was interviewed, saying the "lots of lovely things-quote" before he knew that the band planned the major activities in 2013. That may have rearranged their plans of releasing stuff as well.

Just my guess here.

PS: There are "lots of lovely things" coming right now as well.

I'm looking very much forward to the Charlie Is My Darling-release (with two cds from the Brian-era) and Live In Texas vinyl release.

The archive stuff I enjoy very much. That goes for the Checkerboard Lounge-release as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-13 13:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home