Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: bring mick taylor and bill wyman in
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 1, 2012 19:52

His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber
His Majesty
Please don't bring Mick Taylor in.

absolutey DO bring MT in

and wyman

and at least pay MT enough so he can redecorate and paint his pad

Taylor will only add to the guitar playing mess.

there are nay-sayers...and then there is His Majesty

Just being realistic, his playing has been iffy for years, but maybe they would sound good so long as renaissance Ronnie is allowed to play like he has been recently. thumbs up

..anyone listen to the mess they all made in Kansas City in '81??....and they were all on top of their game then...sort of...would be nice photo op to have them all together..musically--total disaster....Wyman is too smart to let himself be embarrased by the potential for 'less than stellar performances' (that is a nice way to say it,eh?!)...MT needs the $$$ so would probably do it if asked....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2012 20:27

Hmmm... knowing the latest news, having Bill Wyman again onstage is not that far from reality... Wyman has recently jammed with them, stated for years that it needs to be some special event - and that is what these 50th anniverseary gigs in London will be - and most probably they will rehearse quite near - in England/London - to the first gig, which makes it easy for Wyman to take part. I mean if there ever again is a chance to see Wyman with the Stones again, it will be in those two London shows. Everything is made perfect for that to happen.

But in practise, what would it mean? Will he play the whole gig from start to finish, or will he enter just for a couple of songs? But has anyone ever heard a bass player making a cameo within the show? And especially Wyman's type of player who doesn't 'flash' nearly at all? To me the second option sounds a bit odd. Just having there Wyman there with his minilmalistic technique for, say, "Jumpin' Jack Flash", and "Tumbling Dice", is not, how can you say, very spectacular (it is a lot easier having an extra guitarist, a'la Taylor/Clapton, etc.)... But with the first option, can he manage the material for the whole whole gig, and what they would do then with D. Jones? I'm not saying that it is not impossible, but I think there might be some practical problems to figure out... (and we can only quess what the ££££ side of things would mean, especially in regards to the first option...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-01 20:29 by Doxa.

Date: September 2, 2012 02:02

lunar!!!
His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber
His Majesty

absolutey DO bring MT in

and wyman

Just being realistic, his playing has been iffy for years, but maybe they would sound good so long as renaissance Ronnie is allowed to play like he has been recently. thumbs up

..anyone listen to the mess they all made in Kansas City in '81??....and they were all on top of their game then...sort of...would be nice photo op to have them all together..musically--total disaster....Wyman is too smart to let himself be embarrased by the potential for 'less than stellar performances' (that is a nice way to say it,eh?!)...MT needs the $$$ so would probably do it if asked....

get outa here, MT would bring some great melodic fluid playing to the atmosphere

compared to say woody's chopfest

and if wyman is 'too smart' to go, swap woody onto bass and let MT on guitar and vice versa

works for me

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 2, 2012 03:03

lunar!!!
His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber
His Majesty

absolutey DO bring MT in

and wyman

MT commented in more recent years about his 1981 guest appearance, saying, "things had changed. They had all changed. The music had changed...it was all fast and furious"...

Unlike the Stones, MT had not undergone the post-punk Some Girls conversion to short, loud, power-pop songs. He plays the blues, slowly and melodically, and has not chased after trending shifts in pop sounds/styles the way Jagger especially has. One wonders how MT would have fared had he still been in the band to have played on Some Girls--his best talents would have been wasted and he would not have been allowed to play the way he naturally did in the early 70s. Could MT have added anything to ABB? Likely not, and for the same reasons already stated. Their respective paths have diverged for too long to reconverge with any great success, even for a guest slot. It might be disappointing, were it allowed to happen.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 2, 2012 04:33

He certainly added something pretty great to Plunder my soul

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 2, 2012 05:47

cbtaco19

The people who said "forget about Taylor, he quit 35 years ago" had to eat their words when "Plunder" came out. Some of the same people are now telling us to "move on" when we say we'd like to see Wyman to appear with them again.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 2, 2012 05:53

If Mick taylor could come out and play on Tumbling Dice and somehow replicate what he did on Brussell's Affair that would be something special!! Ronnie has made a mess of the guitar parts of TD for quite some time now and I love Ronnie but TD has been missing MT's solos since he left but hell it is not 1973 its 2012 and I'm draming! MT was terrific on Plundered My Soul.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 2, 2012 05:57

stonesnow
lunar!!!
His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber
His Majesty

absolutey DO bring MT in

and wyman

MT commented in more recent years about his 1981 guest appearance, saying, "things had changed. They had all changed. The music had changed...it was all fast and furious"...

Unlike the Stones, MT had not undergone the post-punk Some Girls conversion to short, loud, power-pop songs. He plays the blues, slowly and melodically, and has not chased after trending shifts in pop sounds/styles the way Jagger especially has. One wonders how MT would have fared had he still been in the band to have played on Some Girls--his best talents would have been wasted and he would not have been allowed to play the way he naturally did in the early 70s. Could MT have added anything to ABB? Likely not, and for the same reasons already stated. Their respective paths have diverged for too long to reconverge with any great success, even for a guest slot. It might be disappointing, were it allowed to happen.

I agree about Some Girls, but I think "Out of Control" was missing Taylor to cite just one example.

He could have fit in, at least in small doses, on at least two dozen other songs since then as well. The Stones are not really in Some Girls mode now anyway.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 2, 2012 05:59

71Tele
cbtaco19

The people who said "forget about Taylor, he quit 35 years ago" had to eat their words when "Plunder" came out. Some of the same people are now telling us to "move on" when we say we'd like to see Wyman to appear with them again.

The mass hallucination that Woody was playing is all the rest of need to know Tele.....and it's not the only time that's happened.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 2, 2012 06:03

"bring mick taylor and bill wyman in"

-that would be great!

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: September 2, 2012 22:38

Doxa
Wyman has recently jammed with them, stated for years that it needs to be some special event - and that is what these 50th anniverseary gigs in London will be - and most probably they will rehearse quite near - in England/London - to the first gig, which makes it easy for Wyman to take part.I mean if there ever again is a chance to see Wyman with the Stones again, it will be in those two London shows. Everything is made perfect for that to happen.

-Bill's first gig with the band as "The Rollin' Stones": Dec 14, 1962.

-The first time Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill, Charlie, and Stu played together as "The Rolling Stones": Jan 12, 1963.

-Early Jan, 1993: Bill makes official announcement that he is leaving the Rolling Stones making it an official 30 years with the band.

Now with all that in mind, I tend to think that if we ever see Bill with them again, it would be around/after the date of Jan 12 2013, to make it special (officially 20 years gone/a post 20 year return).

Also keep in mind that both Mick and Keith have said that they feel (and I wholeheartedly agree) that the real 50th anniversary of the stones is marked from the time Charlie joined. I'm sure that Bill of all people would agree with that.

Even though we could see Bill with the guys in December or something, My gut feeling is sometime in Jan, 2013 (If it were to happen).

PS...I also think the same philosophy could be applied to a possible Mick Taylor return... another "special event" to mark the occasion. (2013 = 40 years since the last tour he ever played with the Stones).

Thoughts?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 2, 2012 23:15

This time truly will be the last time, and an appearance by those two chaps will be the appropriate thing to do. I have no illusions about then rejoining permanently, but as the band doesn't have much a future, that's really not the point, is it? All six Stones should appear together at least once and take a bow. That's all I want.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 2, 2012 23:29

Take a bow ....and then play "We Love You" as an encore

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: September 2, 2012 23:29

71Tele
This time truly will be the last time, and an appearance by those two chaps will be the appropriate thing to do. I have no illusions about then rejoining permanently, but as the band doesn't have much a future, that's really not the point, is it? All six Stones should appear together at least once and take a bow. That's all I want.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 00:03

Blue
71Tele

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Would make for a hell of a good picture.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:54

His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber
His Majesty

absolutey DO bring MT in

and wyman

here's a novel idea , why not practice and arrange the songs, the rehearse for some time so it wont be a mess and give everyone space to play their bit . . . .

Posted by: phelge45 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:05

Absolutely, and while I'm more on the pessimistic side of the discussion on what and how they will proceed, the "Super Fan" in me would love for those two to come back in the fold. There will never be a more appro time to do it then in the next year or two, so hopefully they can make the fans happy.

Posted by: phelge45 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:30

Not for nothing, but live shows from this band going back to Steel Wheels have been solid, if not spectacular at times. With that said, there have been many times they simply aren't playing the meat of the riffs, when they both spit out lead lines and perform that overrated technique of "guitar weaving"! Until the last tour, Ronnie spent half the show dicking around, take a few drags and wiggle a bit, instead of actually playing the damn song. And Keith has been regulated to play in the same damn CBerry riffs over EVERYTHING, including all of his solos, short of Honky Tonk W. So if Blondie is augmenting the band on guitar, which thankfully is pretty inaudible, having MTaylor come in to fill in those holes and gaps should be welcomed by the band....these guys aren't King Crimson or other bands who have players who require to have there moments, its not that kind of music. If it sounds like I was not pick in at Ronnie and Keith, TOUGH $HIT, y'all know its true, and yet even with that, they're still a good, if not GREAT live show....just wish they can do something useful and new, after this repackaged rubbish of an album Grrr....hopefully it was done to tie the fans over, till next year for the REAL Anniversary, however big or long it is....sorry for the short story!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:34

71Tele

Got to agree Tele,to see the six of them together on stage would be fantastic.Hope it happens while the opportunity is still there for it to happen.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home