Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
" We Love You"
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 29, 2012 20:19

What do you think about this "45" back in 1967?

I really was Dissapointed first hearing. I prefered their 1964-1966-era. but this song grew in my opinion in the next month. dont like the video!

Re: " We Love You"
Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 29, 2012 20:38

EX song,sort of early progerock music.Piano is groovy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2012 20:43

it tries too hard. i appreciate the effort, but it just needs to relax a bit...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:01

I liked the piano....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:08

I love the piano and mellotron on it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:11

As a young music fan in 1967 America, it never broke through my pop consciousness. It certainly wasn't up there with the incredible lineup on radio, with groups like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane and the like. I don't think I ever heard it until the More Hot Rocks & Fazed Cookies compilation from 1972(?). I heard people playing Dandelion, but not We Love You.

Having said that, I like it now. While Dandelion seems full blown innocent flower power, We Love You has that crunchy darkness seeping in, end of psychedelia, kind of hangoverish ala Child of The Moon.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:14

24FPS
As a young music fan in 1967 America, it never broke through my pop consciousness. It certainly wasn't up there with the incredible lineup on radio, with groups like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane and the like. I don't think I ever heard it until the More Hot Rocks & Fazed Cookies compilation from 1972(?). I heard people playing Dandelion, but not We Love You.

Having said that, I like it now. While Dandelion seems full blown innocent flower power, We Love You has that crunchy darkness seeping in, end of psychedelia, kind of hangoverish ala Child of The Moon.

British psych often had a darkness to it. Not an ending of psych for the stones, more like their first full blown dive in to it. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-29 21:25 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:23

Great song. Always loved it since I first heard it in the seventies. Piano is great and the chains and door slamming.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:36

An incredible song. One of the best singles of the year. Utterly original.

Date: August 29, 2012 21:41

Single Malt
Great song. Always loved it since I first heard it in the seventies. Piano is great and the chains and door slamming.

chains and door-slamming....that's maybe what was missing on streets of love...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:45

The OP specifically asked what we thought of this in 1967. That excludes anyone born after 1967. As I was nine at the time, I'm not sure I thought very much about it at all.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: August 29, 2012 21:58

Liked it then and still like it now...again, Nicky Hopkins delivers an incredible piano, meshing with a foreboding mellotron sound....the sound of 1967, but never gets old.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 29, 2012 22:20

LOVE this song. Extremely unrated. Just needed heavy reverb on vocals.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 29, 2012 22:35

Fantastic track.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: August 29, 2012 22:45

Quote:
The OP specifically asked what we thought of this in 1967. That excludes anyone born after 1967

IF I WAS BORN IN DEC OF '66 AND WAS 8 MONTHS OLD WHEN IT WAS RELEASED, DOES THAT MEAN I CAN HAVE AN OPINION SINCE I WAS BORN BEFORE 1967?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 29, 2012 22:52

Spodlumt
Quote:
The OP specifically asked what we thought of this in 1967. That excludes anyone born after 1967

IF I WAS BORN IN DEC OF '66 AND WAS 8 MONTHS OLD WHEN IT WAS RELEASED, DOES THAT MEAN I CAN HAVE AN OPINION SINCE I WAS BORN BEFORE 1967?

Not so fast, since you had to SHOUT - your out of luck! If you ask again with your caps off the committee may reconsider.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 30, 2012 00:43

It's great.

Except for the grammar.

Which is even greater.

Drugs aid comprehension of course.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:02

fantastic. i wish they had spent just a bit more time on this particular genre.

Date: August 30, 2012 01:03

treaclefingers

which genre? love songs?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:06

StonesTod
treaclefingers

which genre? love songs?

you're showing a big of ignorance here if you don't mind my saying.

Songs with iron gates slamming if you must know. Obviously!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 30, 2012 03:38

Loved the Lennon / Mccartney backing vocals, and thought Brian Jones made the track with all the cool Arabic horns

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:43

Love this song. Believe it or not I think that the Stones released quite a few psychedelic classics, second to none. We Love You, 2000 Light Years From Home, Paint It Black, Child of the Moon, She's A Rainbow and The Lantern spring to mind right away. Heck I even like Dandelion.

I am glad they dropped the whole style by '68 but I always liked these tracks. Very dark and menacing. (well except for Rainbow and Dandelion! lol
)

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:56

bob r
Loved the Lennon / Mccartney backing vocals, and thought Brian Jones made the track with all the cool Arabic horns

Didn't really hear this song until picking up Rolled Gold in the late 70s and was fascinated Lennon / McCartney did the backing vocals..though I am not sure I really hear John in there. Does anyone else hear him? I have to listen to it again.

I also seem to recall the notes on the Rolled Gold collection suggested the door slamming was a reference to The Stones legal troubles, which seems way more than plausible, though someone hearing it for the first time now might not realize that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 30, 2012 05:18

Stonestod - Its just okay!! Great track. i have always loved Charlie's drumming on this one. The intro with chain then the foot steps and the cell door closing followed by the piano is great. This is very underated song!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 30, 2012 05:56

One of my favorite Stones tracks (meaning Top 50!). I recall that it didn't get the same airplay (in South Florida) as the B side "Dandelion" and both songs seemed to be a step back from the profile of previous singles like "Ruby Tuesday." In retrospect though, its fierce.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 30, 2012 08:01

Great record/single. To be honest, I don't know why it didn't do as well as it did in the States. Maybe coming after All You Need Is Love had something to do with it.
It had everything you would want, for the time: flower power, a bluesy riff, a touch of Arabic noodling here and there.
The Knack used to close their shows with it. They did a good job, having feedback and everything.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:01

I was 15 back in 1967 and I liked it immediately.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:31

Silver Dagger
An incredible song. One of the best singles of the year. Utterly original.

Absolutely! It was quite unfortunate that it underachieved in the singles - a bit like that other monster '67 single: I Can See For Miles.

Date: August 30, 2012 10:46

One of my favourites. The piano and the mellotron are both fantastic. Great, great song. They should open with this!

Date: August 30, 2012 11:35

Love, LOVE this song. What gets me - it is one of the rare over produced psychedelic tracks that could work well on stage with guitars.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home