Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Louis Armstrong
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2012 23:04

For some reason the other one was closed. I was gonna say....

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Louis Armstrong
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 23:18

Who knows... but yeah that is a gooder

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 28, 2012 00:25

LOUIS. For the literate among us, did you know he loved to type? And wrote and answered his own letters throughout his career. Love him!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 28, 2012 00:55

stonesrule
LOUIS. For the literate among us, did you know he loved to type? And wrote and answered his own letters throughout his career. Love him!

Is this a quote from a gushing, well-meaning fan in the 1930's, or is the fact that he could write his own letters really seem like a big deal to you?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:14

stonesrule
For the literate among us, Love him!

the waht aomng su?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:25

SATCHMO - My Life In New Orleans - Louis Armstrong
LONDON Peter Davies

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:28

Louis was FABULOUS!!

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:41

Love me some "Pops".

If you do too, you should check out the "Louis Armstrong Birthday Broadcast on radio station WKCR, 89.9 FM New York, which is from Columbia University. It is held every year on July 4th. DJ and music history professor Phil Schaap puts on an incredible broadcast, at least a day long, sometimes several, devoted to his music.

[www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu]

When I lived in NYC Louis was the soundtrack to my 4th of July and now I stream the station to continue the tradition.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:43

red beans and ricely yours

Date: August 28, 2012 03:15

So who did Louis Armstrong idolize? Why it's the cornetist on this little number.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 28, 2012 05:34

In the book OBSERVATIONS Truman Capote wrote bio sketches to accompany photos Richard Avedon had taken of those same people.

Truman Capote on Louis Armstrong:

"Surely Satch has forgotten, still, he was one of this writer's first friends, I met him when I was four, that would be around 1928, and he, a hard-plump and belligerently happy brown Buddha, was playing aboard a pleasure steamer that paddled between New Orleans and St. Louis. Never mind why, but I had occasion to take the trip very often, and for me the sweet anger of Armstrong's trumpet, the froggy exuberance of his come-to-me-baby mouthings, are a piece of Proust's madeleine cake: they make Mississippi moons rise again...The Satch, he was good to me, he told me I had talent, that I ought to be in vaudeville; he gave me a bamboo cane and a straw boater with a peppermint headband; and every night from the stand announced, `Ladies and gentlemen, now we're going to present you one of America's nice kids, he's going to do a little tap dance.' Afterward I passed among the passengers, collecting in my hat nickels and dimes...Six years later, while living in a boarding school from which I wanted to run away, I wrote my former, now famous, benefactor, and said if I came to New York, couldn't he get me a job at the Cotton Club or somewhere? There was no reply, maybe he never got the letter, it doesn't matter, I sill loved him, still do."

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:21

Beautiful! Thanks.

Date: August 28, 2012 07:51

That's how Bix Beiderbecke first heard Armstrong. Beiderbecke is from the Mississippi River front town of Davenport, Iowa. The steamers went up and down the Mississippi in the summer and Bix would first hear Satchmo going by from the landing and then eventually he'd get on board. Got to play some himself later. They met up again in Chicago. Due to segregation they couldn't actually play on stage together, so they'd get together after hours and play in private clubs. Somebody said Bix's notes were like bullets shot at a bell. There was no one else in Armstrong and Beiderbecke's league. Beiderbecke was the first great white jazz instrumentalist.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 7, 2012 21:29

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 7, 2012 21:30

I love Apollo threads.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:43

all the way from heaven....thanx for yo sweet words! Louis

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: December 21, 2012 19:10

Louis' house in Queens has been turned into a small museum - really wonderful. We were there three years ago and got a guided tour - very intimate because only another couple was with us and the very knowledgable guide.

Sorry that this info is too late for all the concert goers - but if anyone here visits NYC, this museum is a must!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home