Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T What Are Your Favorite Box Sets ?
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 25, 2012 21:34

Love to hear what your favorite box sets are--- the ones I really enjoy are:

The Beach Boys "Good Vibrations: 30 Years of the Beach Boys"

Jerry Lee Lewis "A Half Century of Hits"

The Pogues "Just Look The Straight in the Eye and Say Pogue Mahone ! "

Johnny Cash " Cash Unearthed "

The Band " A Musical History "

Richard Thompson " RT: The Life amd Music of Richard Thompson "

"Nuggets: Origional Artifacts From the Psychadelic Era "

The Monkees "Music Box "

"Rockin' Bones: 1950's Punk & Rockabilly "

The Stones " Voodoo Brew "

And finally, The Beatles "The Complete Recordings- Mono "

How about Yours ?

Re: O/T What Are Your Favorite Box Sets ?
Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 21:50

Bruce Springsteen's Tracks and The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology.

Led Zeppelin DVD.

Aerosmith Pandora's Box

Billy Joel The Stranger 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.

Date: August 25, 2012 22:25

The Cult's Rare Cult is pretty damn good.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 25, 2012 23:05

OK:

Here goes, and in no order:

1. The Faces: Five Guys Walk Into A Bar
2. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon Immersion Box
3. Whole Lotta Jerry Lee Lewis
4. Richard Thompson: RT
5. Delaney & Bonnie: On Tour (Rhinohandmade box)
6. Bobby Charles (3 cd Rhinohandmade)
7. Booker T & The MGs - Time Is Tight
8. Miles Davis - Jack Johnson Sessions
9. John Martyn - Ain't No Saint
10. Johnny Cash - The Legend
11. Steve Winwood - The Finer Things (Better than Revolutions as it has Dream Gerrard)

12. Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3
13. Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Yas Out 3 cd Live set
14. Eric Clapton - Crossroads 2 Live In The 70s
15. Various - Anthems of Eden
16. Various - Beg, Scream & Shout - 60s soul
17. Various - Take Me to The River (Southern Soul)
18. Various - FAME studio Story
19. Various - Royal Southern Soul (The HI Records story)
20. Roy Orbison - The Soul of Rock n Roll

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 25, 2012 23:28

X-Files: Seasons 1 to 9

Date: August 26, 2012 00:44

James Brown - Star Time
Bowie "Sound & Vision"
Simon & Garfunkel "Columbia Recording"
Tom Petty
Genesis Archives 67-75
Genesis 70-75
Stones Black Box/Performances etc
velvet Underground
the Wire
The Band Across the Great Divide
Faces

Several Beethoven's 1-9 as done by Klemperer, Furtwaengler, Solti, Bernstein

Date: August 26, 2012 01:08

cheap trick- sex, america, cheap trick
billy joel- my lives
tom petty- playback
the faces- 5 guys walk into a bar
stevie ray vaughan- SRV
alice cooper- the life and crimes of alice cooper

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 26, 2012 02:52

The Who - Live at Leeds 40th anniversay ( includes Live at Hull )
Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Yas Out 3 cd's
The Beatles Stereo Box Set

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 26, 2012 03:59

David Bowie Station to Station Super Deluxe set. One of the most stunning box sets I have ever seen. Massive box set! Glossy photos, four different mixes of Station to Station, official Live release of Suffragette City. This is a simply sublime and beautiful release.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Deluxe Box set. Again very well done, with fantastic graphics, great book, and incredible collection of live music. Lots of deep cuts and unreleased stuff.

The Beatles Mono. Not a spectacular box set in the sense of extras. But what is inside makes up for it. Nice album replicas, and all The Beatles albums up to the White Album in spectacular Mono.

The Beatles Stereo. Fantastic. Nice digi packs for all albums, nicely done booklets with unreleased photos, and all the albums in Stereo.

The Who Live at Leeds Super Deluxe. Already out of print and worth every penny. The only grip is the folder slot for the single already has come undone and needs to be re-glued.

The Rolling Stones Some Girls super deluxe. Amazing, and the book that it comes with is worth the price of the box set. Great mock ups showing the rough graphics for the album cover, and lots of great text.

Bob Dylan Mono. Very similar to The Beatles Mono. Not flashy, but a solid box set with all of Dylan's 60's albums in Mono in mini album replicas with all original artwork and inserts.

Paul McCartney Ram Super Deluxe. AMAZING! So much extras it is mind blowing. Photos, replicas of original handwritten lyrics, DVD, album in Mono (very rare!), Thrillington. Great box set and the best so far in the McCartney re-release program. A large box as well. Very well done.

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set. Fantastic! Great extras, a few a little kitchsy but fun. The remaster sounds amazing, and a nice DVD with live stuff, and a full live show of Dark Side of the Moon. They should have done the same treatment for Animals!!!! Tsk tsk!

Ravi Shankar- George Harrison Collaborations. You have to like Indian Music. And if you do, then order this one soon. Limited edition numbered set. Very tastefully done. Nice solid box Beautiful book with glossy photos, and all the discs are in large album replicas.

The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas out Deluxe set. Smallish, but very nice. A great booklet and then there is the added bonus tracks, the show with BB and Ike & Tina, and a DVD with added live performances with a scorching version of Satisfaction that can be played in DTS Surround Sound.

John Lennon Anthology. The mother load of unreleased Lennon material. Simply stunning in its breadth. One of the first "deluxe" box sets, and very well done. Hats off to Yoko for this project. Sounds fantastic as well.

Not really box sets but mini deluxe re-releases of all of Radiohead's releases all with extras, and a DVD of live performances. The Bends is incredible with a full show and lots of live stuff from Jools Holland's show. Also Ok Computer has some great live material from Jools Holland.

The Concerts for Bangladesh Deluxe DVD set. AMAZING! Beautifully packaged. Glossy photos, the concert film remastered and remixed, and bonus disc with live material not on the original release.

Apple Box- Release of all of the Apple albums. Not a great "box", but what is in it is stellar. All releases in mini album replicas, and all Badfinger releases up to ASS. Great, and sounds stunning!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 26, 2012 04:25

Official

1. Thin Lizzy Live at the BBC
2. Rolling Stones Deluxe Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
3. Bruce Springsteen Born to Run 30th Annivery
4, Jimi Hendrix Stages
5. The Cult Rare Cult 2 different box sets

Boots
Rolling Stones Touring Party
Allman Brothers Duane Allman Years 15 CD SB

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 26, 2012 05:00

The Moody Blues - Time traveler

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 26, 2012 06:12

Pink Floyd-Immersion Sets-all three (Dark Side, WYWH, and The Wall) are good.
Sinatra-Vegas-Captures Sinatra in 4 shows from different eras and a DVD in all his glory in Vegas.
Chess Rhythm and Roll and Blues Box's-Great stuff from common to rarities.
Chuck Berry-Johnny B Goode-Complete 50's Masters; You Never Can Tell-Complete 60's Master's; Have Mercy-Complete 70's Masters. Essential, as it shows Chuck was more than just the well known hits. The 70's box shows a great musician at work! Now if only a Box set of his Mercury material was available.
Elvis A Boy From Tupelo-All of the known material from Elvis pre-RCA days. Great stuff and rare performances.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 26, 2012 09:53

Muddy Waters - Chess Box

Phil Spector - Back to Mono

Loud, Fast and Out of Control - The Wild Sounds of the 50's. (One of the BEST rock n' roll collections you will ever own)thumbs up

The Doo Wop Box Volume 1

James Brown - Star Time

Bob Marley - Songs of Freedom

Date: August 26, 2012 13:43

Hry whitem8 -- I forgot all about the Apple box set-- I dont have that, but I do have a 10 cd set of all the SINGLES that were ever released on Apple, A & B sides...I definitley should have included it on my list ! Apple was a pretty cool label..

Also I agree on the Harrison / Shankar box set-- should have included that as well---

Date: August 26, 2012 13:52

Hey bob r. What is the apple single box you have? It is ten CDs?? Can you please give me more information about this?

The Harrison/Shankar box set is really stunning. I ordered two of them, seeing as it is limited edtion. I have a low number for the first one, a higher number for the second one.

Date: August 26, 2012 15:19

whitem8 -- The Apple box set I have is called
"The Complete Apple Singles Collection 1968-1976 "-- 10 cd's of every 45 single ever released by Apple in chronological order, as well as singles recorded but never offically released, acetates, radio promo's etc-- A & B sides. Full discography nad info regarding many of the tracks. Features all singles released in USA, UK and abroad.

Discs 1&2 1968-1969

Discs 3&4 1969-1971

Discs 5&6 1971-1972

Discs 7&8 1972-1974

Discs 9&10 1975 -1976

I picked it up about 5-6 years ago and its great. Was surprised at the number of artists on the label. For example, never knew Ravi Shankar released a 45 single...
Also includes from 1968 the "Walls Ice Cream" EP with tracks from the Iveys, James Taylor, Jackie Lomax and Mary Hopkin.
Also wahts cool is it features every Beatles single and all Beatle solo single releases

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2012 17:46

I of course like some of the Stones box sets, "Singles Collection" from '89, GYYYO, Some Girls is very cool and the Vinyl Box sets from 2010 (?) are exceptional. I also have all three 'singles' boxes from ABKCO, although it's more about the coolness of them than functionality.

For non stones, LOVE the Beatles MONO box. I also like the Lennon 4 CD anthology.

Bowie's set from Rhino from a few years ago is excellent.

Phil Spector's Back To Mono is lovely...the Christmas album gets heavily abused at my house.

Also several VERVE box sets of Jazz from late 80's...excellent.

I've started finding some very interesting vinyl box sets at record shows from early jazz performers, Elvis, Frank Sinatra. I find that the audiophiles that bought this stuff 50-60 years ago kept their records immaculate (I guess they were an investment!), so they are amazing purchases for pennies on the dollar. I've even bought some of these 7 or 10 record sets from Time-Life and Reader's Digest that cover the 50s 60s and 70s. Fantastic.

If you have a turntable, I highly recommend.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 17:54

John Lennon - Anthology

Stevie Wonder - At the Close of the Century

Doors - Box Set

Donovan - Troubadour The Definitive Collection 1964-1976

Beach Boys - The Pet Sounds Sessions 30th Anniversary Collection

Simon & Garfunkel - Columbia Studio Recordings 1964-1970

Ray Charles - Genius & Soul 50th Anniversary Collection

Misc Artists - Super Stars of Seventies Soul

David Crosby - Voyage

Love - Love Story 1966-1972

Procol Harum - The First Four

Misc Artists - The Sixties Groovy Hits

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:30

Deep Purple-Listen Learn Read On,Pink Floyd all 3 Immersion sets,Jethro Tull-Aqualung box,Led Zeppelin-SHM cd box,Led Zeppelin-Ascension In The Wane[10 cd box of board mixes from their 73 UK tour......unofficial]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:32

Columbia/Legacy have just released a mammoth box-set containing 63 Johnny Cash albums. I don't have it, but if I do it would probably be my favorite.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: August 26, 2012 19:40

2000 LYFH

Doors - Box Set

David Crosby - Voyage

forgot about that crosby boxset. i have the graham nash one as well thats great. also forgot about AC/DC bonfire although including the album back in black was pretty pointless.

that doors boxset was good in the 90's but is pretty useless now after the reissues with bonus tracks and all of the live albums. also the disc of "favorites" was a waste of space

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:43

hwkn
Deep Purple-Listen Learn Read On,Pink Floyd all 3 Immersion sets,Jethro Tull-Aqualung box,Led Zeppelin-SHM cd box,Led Zeppelin-Ascension In The Wane[10 cd box of board mixes from their 73 UK tour......unofficial]

May have to pick up that Aqualung Box Set. Love that band especially 1969-1978.

Date: August 27, 2012 02:44

bob r
whitem8 -- The Apple box set I have is called
"The Complete Apple Singles Collection 1968-1976 "-- 10 cd's of every 45 single ever released by Apple in chronological order, as well as singles recorded but never offically released, acetates, radio promo's etc-- A & B sides. Full discography nad info regarding many of the tracks. Features all singles released in USA, UK and abroad.

Discs 1&2 1968-1969

Discs 3&4 1969-1971

Discs 5&6 1971-1972

Discs 7&8 1972-1974

Discs 9&10 1975 -1976

I picked it up about 5-6 years ago and its great. Was surprised at the number of artists on the label. For example, never knew Ravi Shankar released a 45 single...
Also includes from 1968 the "Walls Ice Cream" EP with tracks from the Iveys, James Taylor, Jackie Lomax and Mary Hopkin.
Also wahts cool is it features every Beatles single and all Beatle solo single releases

Thanks Bob r. I have never seen. I have searced for it as well on the net and only some sketchy write ups. All saying they were double CD releases. I would like to find one, sounds very cool!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:57

That Apple singles box is a bootleg btw. I'd still like to have it though! The COME AND GET IT anthology should've been a 2-disk set to include Elephant's Memory and some of the rarer non-album tracks.

Date: August 27, 2012 06:41

Thanks Glam! Makes sense it is a boot. I have never heard of it and am pretty good with official Apple stuff. I still would like to find it! Sounds very cool.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:36

"Dreams" The Allman Bros Band

"Have a Nice Day" Various

"Crossroads" Eric Clapton

"The Byrds" Box Set"

"The London Years" The Rolling Stones

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:41

The Nonexistent Officially Released Rolling Stones Tour Series!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:14

The Complete Billie Holiday on Verve 1945-1959 10 CD

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:45

Come On

I bought them each individually on CD, but the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944 is a wonderful collection of her earlier (and I think best) stuff. The full box set won a Grammy in 2002.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:53

Angus MacBagpipe
Come On

I bought them each individually on CD, but the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944 is a wonderful collection of her earlier (and I think best) stuff. The full box set won a Grammy in 2002.

Them earlier era records I got on CBS double-albums, and yes, a wonderful bunch of songs from young Billie there...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2318
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home