Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cockney Rhyming Slang
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 08:19

Jo Jo Laine—wife of Wings member Denny Laine—said that Linda McCartney didn't like her being around Paul. A reporter asked Jo Jo, "Why didn't Linda like you being around Paul?"

JO JO: "Well, with a boat race like hers...."

A footnote said "boat race" was Cockney rhyming slang for "face."

Re: Cockney Rhyming Slang
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2012 09:33

'Cockney' used to be spoken by those from the East End of London - anyone burn with ear-shot of the Bow Bells, if you want to get technical. Go to Bow now and you'll more likely come across a burka than someone getting 'Oliver Twist or 'having a bubble bath'

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 11:25

...shame about her boat race

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 12:08

Big Al
'Cockney' used to be spoken by those from the East End of London - anyone burn with ear-shot of the Bow Bells, if you want to get technical. Go to Bow now and you'll more likely come across a burka than someone getting 'Oliver Twist or 'having a bubble bath'

Actually the Bow Bells are not in Bow, but on Cheapside (in the City) at St Mary le Bow church

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2012 12:48

.... pleeeze gimmie plenty of dead horse on me dog's eye

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 12:52

would love a snot block right about now

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2012 13:23

.... awwww yeah boynamedsue a good ole VS ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 22, 2012 15:04

Room1009
Big Al

Actually the Bow Bells are not in Bow, but on Cheapside (in the City) at St Mary le Bow church

True, but Cheapside - near Whitechapel, right? - counts as East London, kind of, I suppose. Actually, I found out recently that there is a difference between East London and the 'East End'

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 22, 2012 15:52

Big Al
Room1009
Big Al

True, but Cheapside - near Whitechapel, right? - counts as East London, kind of, I suppose. Actually, I found out recently that there is a difference between East London and the 'East End'

There certainly is Al. I never knew until I worked in east London (correct spelling with lower case (e)ast as it is not an official area). The East End is the environs of the square mile around the city.

However east London includes the boroughs of Waltham Forest, Barking & Dagenham, parts of Redbridge, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Barking (though not Dagenham).

There is a slight discrepency as the postal codes for east London end in Redbridge (South Woodford is E18) and Newham (Manor Park is E12) after which, postal wise it becomes Essex.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 22, 2012 16:26

You'll all be talking like a right royal cockney barrel of monkeys soon winking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 22, 2012 16:29

Why is everyone typing with an accent?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 22, 2012 18:25

Silver Dagger
Big Al
Room1009
Big Al

There certainly is Al. I never knew until I worked in east London (correct spelling with lower case (e)ast as it is not an official area). The East End is the environs of the square mile around the city.

However east London includes the boroughs of Waltham Forest, Barking & Dagenham, parts of Redbridge, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Barking (though not Dagenham).

There is a slight discrepency as the postal codes for east London end in Redbridge (South Woodford is E18) and Newham (Manor Park is E12) after which, postal wise it becomes Essex.

Romford has a non-London post code and doesn't use the 020 area code but is administratively within the London Borough of Havering. I don't think it's been part of Essex county since the 1960s.

Date: August 23, 2012 18:43

Room1009

Romford has a non-London post code and doesn't use the 020 area code but is administratively within the London Borough of Havering. I don't think it's been part of Essex county since the 1960s.

Essex is probably the ceremonial county of Romford. Personally, I've never thought 'London' when someone's mentioned that town in passing. Areas like Bromley and Sidcup are in a similar position. They are in the London boroughs of Bromley and Bexley respectively, yet both areas are, technically, still part of Kent. Dartford is the right on the edge of Kent and the south-east London boroughs.

Date: August 23, 2012 19:11

Father Ted
Silver Dagger
Big Al
Room1009
Big Al

I think it changed in 1972 under the Local Government Act (trying to remember my public administration classes from college!)

Date: August 23, 2012 20:03

As a non-londoner, I feel comfortable with this statement: outside of central London, the City and a few of the well known suberbs, IMO, London has no meaning anymore. Where exactly does it begin and end? Parts if Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire and practically the whole of Middlesx full under this banner of 'Greater London' So many 'Londoners' I meet who reside within the London postal codes are from the home counties, whilst so many genuine Londoners now reside in my Kent neighbourhood. London has became quite faceless in this respect. How many cockneys actually live in the east end? Very few. How many pie and mash shops are left? Even fewer!!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 23, 2012 21:56

The one Cockney rhyming slang term that I'm aware made it into American slang (it's even in the DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG) is "raspberry" for someone making the sound that American's also refer to as the "Bronx cheer." From the Cockney rhyming slang term "raspberry tart" for the sound of flatulence. Since "tart" rhymes with "flatulence."

Date: August 23, 2012 22:21

Big Al
As a non-londoner, I feel comfortable with this statement: outside of central London, the City and a few of the well known suberbs, IMO, London has no meaning anymore. Where exactly does it begin and end? Parts if Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire and practically the whole of Middlesx full under this banner of 'Greater London' So many 'Londoners' I meet who reside within the London postal codes are from the home counties, whilst so many genuine Londoners now reside in my Kent neighbourhood. London has became quite faceless in this respect. How many cockneys actually live in the east end? Very few. How many pie and mash shops are left? Even fewer!!

There's one in Waltham Cross where David Beckham goes when he's over here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home