Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Progressive Rock - The brief rise and inevitable fall of the world's most hated pop music
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 20, 2012 04:53

Current Top 40 is the WORST kind of pop. Auto-tuned to death. worse than any before it. Maybe that's why "alternative" has boomed so much in the last 10 years?

I'm not a fan of Yes, King Crimson or Dream Theater. I do however like RUSH, Floyd (not reeeeeally prog) and these guys...

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-20 05:03 by jamesfdouglas.

Re: OT: Progressive Rock - The brief rise and inevitable fall of the world's most hated pop music
Date: August 20, 2012 06:05

Fragile - great album

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 20, 2012 07:49

Love prog-rock or hate it, at least rock and roll was evolving. Pop of the 50s and early 60s, rock n roll (now classic rock), psychedelia, prog-rock, punk, new wave, disco....

What new has happened in pop music of any real note since grunge?

Discuss.

T@3

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 20, 2012 10:37

TeaAtThree
Love prog-rock or hate it, at least rock and roll was evolving. Pop of the 50s and early 60s, rock n roll (now classic rock), psychedelia, prog-rock, punk, new wave, disco....

What new has happened in pop music of any real note since grunge?

Discuss.

T@3

All I can think of is Hip Hop and Rap...not everyone would consider that evolution. I certainly don't, what with the violent, anti-social, misogynistic lyrics in so much of it.

And despite the embarrassing hubristic excesses of Prog Rock, you're right - at least they were attempts to take modern music to a new, higher level.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 20, 2012 15:10

Definitely not a hater of prog rock here. Some is overblown, indulgent and just plain boring....but many of the bands had a lot of playing talent (if not writing talent). Much more than I can say for Gangsta Rap, Hair Metal, 80s Synth Pop and current top 40.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 20, 2012 15:43

I never understood people who could call themselves music fans yet hate a style of music. The most important lesson I learned as a kid was to keep my ears open as there was good and bad to be found in all types of music.

So for people to say I hate prog or punk rock or jazz - I could never understand that.

And as a teenager growing up through the 70s I found a lot of weird and wonderful sounds in bands like Gabriel-era Genesis, Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill, Family, The Moody Blues, Procul Harum, even ELP had their moments.

Just because you liked prog bands didn't mean you were a patchouli-wearing hippy. It didn't have to be a lifestyle choice! Some really hip bands had some great prog moments - the Stones on Satanic Majesties, Roxy Music's first 2 albums, and punk bands like Magazine and Wire were more in tune with keyboards than guitars.

And nowadays prog is hipper than it ever was - you only need to hear Radiohead and Muse to verify that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-20 18:16 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 20, 2012 16:37

Silver Dagger
I never understood people who could called themselves music fans yet hate a style of music. The most important lesson I learned as a kid was to keep my ears open as there was good and band to be found in all types of music.

So for people to say I hate prog or punk rock or jazz or rap - I could never understand that.

silver dagger is my new most favorite poster and best friend for life now.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 20, 2012 17:54

As far as I'm concerned all music is valid.

We've all got different tastes [thank goodness !]and for any genre to evolve and survive, it has to float somebody's boat.

Whatever our tastes in music, and however varied... it provides the same essential nutrients for the soul.

[That's not say that I like everything. I don't ...but one man's garbarge is another man's gold ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-20 17:56 by Spud.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: August 20, 2012 18:05

It was all downhill when they took the roll out of the rock and making it into "Art Rock", "Heavy Rock" giving it labels and forgetting the origins that it was dance music made for teens and to sound good over the car radio{ie am}.

Date: August 20, 2012 18:09

Spud

We've all got different tastes [thank goodness !]and for any genre to evolve and survive, it has to float somebody's boat.

Whatever our tastes in music, and however varied... it provides the same essential nutrients for the soul.

[That's not say that I like everything. I don't ...but one man's garbarge is another man's gold ]

i know where you're going with this, but i've already selected silver dagger as my new most favorite poster and best friend for life....but i do wish you the best.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2012 18:11

Floorbird
It was all downhill when they took the roll out of the rock and making it into "Art Rock", "Heavy Rock" giving it labels and forgetting the origins that it was dance music made for teens and to sound good over the car radio{ie am}.

Lol.

Date: August 20, 2012 18:16

StonesTod
Silver Dagger
I never understood people who could called themselves music fans yet hate a style of music. The most important lesson I learned as a kid was to keep my ears open as there was good and band to be found in all types of music.

So for people to say I hate prog or punk rock or jazz or rap - I could never understand that.

God bless you StonesTod. smileys with beer

Date: August 20, 2012 18:22

Silver Dagger
StonesTod
Silver Dagger

but this could be fleeting...one screw-up and i got spud waiting in the wings.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 20, 2012 18:35

StonesTod
Spud

i know where you're going with this, but i've already selected silver dagger as my new most favorite poster and best friend for life....but i do wish you the best.

If I was anybody's favourite poster I'd be worried ..and might have to reconsider many of my opinions on everything.
[ I must also confess to not having read many of the earlier posts before sticking my two penneth in ]

You're still one of my favourite posters though.
Most of us talk bollocks most of the time...but some folks do it with class !

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 20, 2012 18:36

StonesTod
Silver Dagger
StonesTod
Silver Dagger

You better believe him Silver Dagger. He told me I was his favorite until I screwed up and he then left me for dead. So much for a friend for life.

Date: August 20, 2012 18:38

2000 LYFH
StonesTod
Silver Dagger
StonesTod
Silver Dagger

You better believe him Silver Dagger. He told me I was his favorite until I screwed up and he then left me for dead. So much for a friend for life.

you're my favorite of my many ex-friends. for now.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: August 20, 2012 20:39

Stoneage
Progressive rock was very big in Sweden in the late 60s and throughout the 70s. In Sweden it was a political movement also. It coincided with the so called 68-left movement. Some of them are still touring. Like Mikael Wiehe for example. Prog is still very big among 60+ leftist academics (the 68-left had nothing to do with the working classes. They were university students, all of them).
This is not the same thing as the progressive rock that is discussed in this topic (Genesis, Yes, ELP etc.). The swedish prog scene in the 60's & 70's had nothing in common with these bands. Wiehe and Afzelius were protest singers like Dylan and it was only their message and thoughts that were progressive, hence the name.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: August 20, 2012 20:47

Speakin' of.. Saw these chaps last Friday in Berlin;
they have played 50 years as well as the Stones.

Title means.... Prodigal Son :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-20 20:48 by Back Of My Palm.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: August 20, 2012 21:03

Portuguese Prog Rock

Unknown by the most, but one of the best, imo...

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:58

Got into Prog-Rock with this band and progressed into ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull and my fav prog-rock band, YES.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 21, 2012 03:10

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 21, 2012 04:06

More Hot Rocks
i thought punk was the most hated?

No, punk merely spewed the most hatred.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 21, 2012 05:36

custom55

I love this album but consider it more psychedelia than prog.

Utopia, however...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-21 05:37 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 21, 2012 05:43

Here's another Todd doozie:

Date: August 21, 2012 09:58

custom55
Got into Prog-Rock with this band and progressed into ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull and my fav prog-rock band, YES.

Fabulous song! thumbs up

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2012 10:37

Silver Dagger
custom55

Fabulous song! thumbs up

Yep.

Moody Blues - made in Birmingham.

I don't see them as proper prog rock though (which is a good thing).

Date: August 21, 2012 20:02

You have no idea how much I love this.

Justin Heyward was beyond cool, he was a good guitar player too.

Ray Thomas invented Dad Dancing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-21 20:07 by GravityBoy.

Date: August 21, 2012 20:12

AND... they (nearly) all came from within a couple miles from where I lived the first 22 years of my life (as did Black Sabbath).

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 21, 2012 20:31

GravityBoy

And extremely handsome. Look up "dreamy, poetic Englishman" in the dictionary and there be Justin H.

Date: August 21, 2012 21:30

GravityBoy
You have no idea how much I love this.

Ray Thomas invented Dad Dancing.

Another classic. Love the whole album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home