Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Progressive Rock - The brief rise and inevitable fall of the world's most hated pop music
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 21, 2012 21:33

This is the Moodys greatest song though. With a nod to The Who and Pinball Wizard.

Re: OT: Progressive Rock - The brief rise and inevitable fall of the world's most hated pop music
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2012 21:47

Yeah that's great... but my favorite is Nights in White Satin.

So very beautiful.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 21, 2012 23:07

Glam Descendant
>And crikey we don't ever need to hear the chicken vindaloo story again.

When did that story first emerge? I'm reminded of a Ramones lyric:

"Hanging out on 2nd Avenue
Eating chicken vindaloo"

Ages and ages. Google: "Rick Wakeman curry" and you'll be inundated. Journalists are very lazy [except for our own HBwriter, who is a fine human being]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 21, 2012 23:44

Funny, it looks like it was only in Sweden that progressive rock vas heavily politicized then. Here prog bands always accused mainstream pop or rock bands for being "commercial". ABBA for example were bullied by the prog movement.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 22, 2012 01:14

thumbs upYes...Genesis...Rush...ELP...Pink Floydthumbs up

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 04:04

Listened to these albums a lot during my prog-rock period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-22 04:14 by custom55.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 22, 2012 09:57

I'm huge fan of prog rock. Pink Floyd, Camel, Yes, King Crimson, Hawkwind and Goblin are names that pop up in my head right away. It's definitely a genre where I feel right at home.

I also love the german more electronic version of prog called "Kraut" and it's brother "Berlin School". Kraftwerk, Ashra, Tangerine Dream, Neu, Klaus Schulze and what have you.

DiscoVolante
The swedish prog scene in the 60's & 70's had nothing in common with these bands. Wiehe and Afzelius were protest singers like Dylan and it was only their message and thoughts that were progressive, hence the name.
That is both true and false. I think the name "progg" here in Sweden is a bad choice since it, like you say, mostly wasn't progressive musically but only in lyrics. It's only confusing things. However, there were good swedish prog rock at the time side by side with the political movment. Some of them had political themes in their lyrics and some not.

Fläsket Brinner, Samla Mammas Manna, Bo Hansson (my musical soul brother), Solar Plexus, Made in Sweden, Lotus, Asoka and Kaipa are examples of swedish prog rock.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:05

I'm just getting into Kraftwerk.

Playing albums Autobahn and Radio Activity frequently.. it's hypnotic.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 22, 2012 14:44

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 22, 2012 14:52

A great unknown band, but good enough to be mention by Flick in flicks corner, Rolling Stone Magazine

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 22, 2012 15:44

Yes has some of the best artwork and tee shirts I've ever seen. I've always loved their music and shows.

Now Emerson Lake and Palmer was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Just plain boring.

Date: August 22, 2012 16:12

It's weird how the writer of the Slate article seems to equate artistic integrity with being self-indulgent and out of touch. Jon Anderson (and the rest of Yes) was more interested in following his own spiritual and musical path rather than following the fashion of the moment. That's an admirable thing, in my book.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 22, 2012 16:15

is there any truth to the theory that democrats are more likely to be prog-rock fans than republicans?

Date: August 22, 2012 17:58

Don't think so. Mike Huckabee had Yes on his Fox show a few years ago, apparently he's a fan (though he didn't get Chris Squire's name right, so I don't know how much of a fan - Huckabee claimed nerves at meeting his bass hero).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 22, 2012 18:15

well, huckabee and akin are on the same wave-length...so i guess akin's progressive after all. who'd a thunk?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 17, 2012 23:33

I am not a big fan of progressive rock, but a friend who is just sent me this list. Thought some of you might enjoy looking it over.

Absolute Essential's of 70's Prog. Rock!
A Listmania! list by W. M. Foss "w_m_f2" (Anoka, MN)

The list author says: "THESE 40 ALBUMS REPRESENT THE CREAM OF PROGRESSIVE ROCK FROM THE 70'S!

Perfect for 40 days and nights of progressive rock bliss!

[amzn.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 17, 2012 23:57

latebloomer
I am not a big fan of progressive rock, but a friend who is just sent me this list. Thought some of you might enjoy looking it over.

Absolute Essential's of 70's Prog. Rock!
A Listmania! list by W. M. Foss "w_m_f2" (Anoka, MN)

The list author says: "THESE 40 ALBUMS REPRESENT THE CREAM OF PROGRESSIVE ROCK FROM THE 70'S!

Perfect for 40 days and nights of progressive rock bliss!

[amzn.com]

Very nice! Own/Have Owned a few of these. First 4 or 5 ELP albums were very good and early Genesis up to 78. Good list...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 19, 2012 16:03

To me, this group and this song are at the top of this genre:

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 19, 2012 18:01

When it came to progressive rock, I was always in the "bored shitless" camp. My brother, on the other hand, loved it. Too cerebral for me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 20, 2012 09:59

I hate Indie-Pop even more...Indie-Pop 1982 - 87 is truly horrible....

2 1 2 0

Date: September 20, 2012 11:41

Come On
I hate Indie-Pop even more...Indie-Pop 1982 - 87 is truly horrible....

Are you talking about the produce section era of rock? When all bands were named Cucumbers. Cranberries, Gin Blossoms? HATED that.

To whoever posted about the Genesis Archive Boxes thumbs upthumbs up
I collected all the Gabriel era Releases.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: September 20, 2012 14:37

tonterapi
I'm huge fan of prog rock. Pink Floyd, Camel, Yes, King Crimson, Hawkwind and Goblin are names that pop up in my head right away. It's definitely a genre where I feel right at home.

I also love the german more electronic version of prog called "Kraut" and it's brother "Berlin School". Kraftwerk, Ashra, Tangerine Dream, Neu, Klaus Schulze and what have you.

DiscoVolante
The swedish prog scene in the 60's & 70's had nothing in common with these bands. Wiehe and Afzelius were protest singers like Dylan and it was only their message and thoughts that were progressive, hence the name.
That is both true and false. I think the name "progg" here in Sweden is a bad choice since it, like you say, mostly wasn't progressive musically but only in lyrics. It's only confusing things. However, there were good swedish prog rock at the time side by side with the political movment. Some of them had political themes in their lyrics and some not.

Fläsket Brinner, Samla Mammas Manna, Bo Hansson (my musical soul brother), Solar Plexus, Made in Sweden, Lotus, Asoka and Kaipa are examples of swedish prog rock.

Sweden has some great prog bands! Here is the list of the best Swedish prog records:

[www.progarchives.com]

Anglagard just released a fantastic record. Here is one of the songs from that album. Have patience, it starts to kick butt around 5 minutes into the song.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home