Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
linda Rostadt: Tumblin Dice
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:19

Ever like this version . Anybody able to show this-one?

Re: linda Rostadt: Tumblin Dice
Date: August 16, 2012 22:21

Ronstadt, sure

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:25

Great cover I would say........................

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:33

NICOS

with a young Waddy on guitar!

Date: August 16, 2012 22:33

ThanX--nicos

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:34

a song this good can't be screwed up no matter how hard some may try

Posted by: peter ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:39

I've got the pix from the 78 Tucson show with Linda & Mick. Would like to own a tape of the show if a good version is available. peterstupar.com

Date: August 16, 2012 22:42

StonesTod

Well try this bleeb bleeb version confused smiley

With link..................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-16 23:04 by NICOS.

Date: August 16, 2012 23:02

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 02:46

This is what got me into the Stones.....I loved Linda. And I loved Waddy's Stonesy guitar even though I didn't even know at the time what Stonesy was....
This was the catalyst and Linda will always have a special place in my life.

Re: Linda Ronstadt: Tumblin Dice
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 17, 2012 03:41

stupidguy2
This is what got me into the Stones.....I loved Linda. And I loved Waddy's Stonesy guitar even though I didn't even know at the time what Stonesy was....
Good ole Waddy thumbs up

My fav Waddy story....

Back in 1976 (or 77 or 78)(I forget) We were in at our favorite record store/ticket outlet, and as usual I (always) asked the counter guy "are there any good shows coming up? (this was waaaaaaay before the internet info, back when we had to hear the radio announcement or check the chalk boards at ticket out lets)... anyway... the counter guy said "yeah we have blah and blah balh..and balh blah ...and we just got some Linda Ronstadt tickets"...(BTW CHECK YOUR SPELLING ON THE THREAD TITLE)anyway...

So I asked the dude do you have good seats left for Linda?... and he said "WE JUST GOT THEM, WE HAVE NOT SOLD ANY, WE STILL HAVE FRONT ROW"... I was not much of a Linda fan at the point, but FRONT ROW!!?!!... I thought what the heck, I said "I'LL TAKE 4" (I think they they cost a whopping $5.50 or 9 dollars, or something per ticket.

So I bought 4 tickets for a small (3000 seat) hall in KC where the front row seats used to be pushed directly in front of a short four foot high stage (no barrier or barricade)(we could lean on the stage...

So my buddy bought 2 of the tickets from me and we took dates to the show....

Night of the show we moseyed on up to front row, we had not told our girls we had those killer seats, and they were giddy... we were the first people to arrive in the front row... and after sitting there for a bit, UH OH!! a guy comes out and says ...will you all come with me... UH OH! (not like I was carrying anything illegal or anything, NOT)(YIKES!!)... but I stayed cool and we went with the guy as he took back stage, off stage right and into a room that had 100-200 older tuxedo jackets hanging on racks... and he says everyone in the front 2 rows gets a free jacket.... so we got to take our pick and they fit perfectly... the girls looked so good in them.... the jackets were black and had this picture silk-screened in white on the back

with the local radio station PRESENTs on the bottom... it was awesome... the gilrs were delighted,,, we were heros... and sitting front row.... and then...

Then the show started... it was the first time I saw Waddy (I had never even heard of him) but we were right in front of him... 3 feet from him.... and from the first song I saw/heard him play I was amazed at him... here was this goofy hippy looking cat who could play the living sht out of the guitar, I loved that sound... and he played it perfect.

Linda was about 8-10 feet to our right, but Waddy was right in front of us... playing his heart out... and smiling at our appreciation.... IT WAS A SPECTACULAR NIGHT OF FUN.... and Linda/they played all of her hits... it was a mellower show than my usual tastes, but it was awesome... and the next day we all wore our jackets... and it was too cool for school words...

and of course I have loved Linda, and repsected Waddy, forevermore...

I never saw Linda live again... but I have now seen Waddy play live over and over and over, playing with/for everyone... I have seen Waddy play live (with other people) almost as many times as I have seen some of my favorite bands live He just kept popping up.... IWe would go to a show, and whoa... LQQK its hippy Waddy again... from Jackson Browne to Stevie Nicks... to even Adam Sandler(A.S. was live on tape for me)...

Waddy is a bad ass mofo.... he may not be a household name to the common Joe... but I would be just as happy to meet, and have a drink with him, as I would any other person on the Earth... WADDY WACHTEL RULES!!!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 04:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: August 17, 2012 03:57

StonesTod

Same for Poor Poor Pitiful Me!

Date: August 17, 2012 04:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 04:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:27

a great talent...props to Linda.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:32

NICOS

This is a clip from the film FM. One of the cheesiest films ever made !

I was a pepperoni-faced kid working the concession stand at my local cinema when this film was playing.
As long as that film played at my theatre, I was always "unavailable" when Ronstadt's spot was on the screen. grinning smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 17, 2012 05:17

Max'sKansas City,

Please tell me you still have that jacket!

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: August 17, 2012 05:41

StonesTod

Well, by all means, throw your utube version up and we'll be the judge.

Date: August 17, 2012 05:44

Kurt
Max'sKansas City,

Please tell me you still have that jacket!

I hoped no one would ask that... because... saddly,
In trying to be a good big brother, when I outgrew it....
I gave it to my sister.... and the last time I saw it... long ago...

it was on the floor, in a heap with the rest of her clothes....
sigh... to this very second... I wish I had not gifted it...
it would be awesome to still have... but... oh well.

ps
Trust me... after seeing it like that... I am careful about gifts like this..... even if a shirt or jacket no longer fits, I hang on to it, unless someone is very special smiling smiley ... and I have quite a collection of this stuff... hmmmm.... maybe my whole collecting and keeping this stuff (kept in great condition) is rooted in this incident.

pps
Oh well... at least I have the great story... and memories.... but saddly the tuxedo is long gone. DAMN IT!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 05:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 17, 2012 05:52

Max'sKansasCity
stupidguy2
Good ole Waddy thumbs up

My fav Waddy story....

Back in 1976 (or 77 or 78)(I forget) We were in at our favorite record store/ticket outlet, and as usual I (always) asked the counter guy "are there any good shows coming up? (this was waaaaaaay before the internet info, back when we had to hear the radio announcement or check the chalk boards at ticket out lets)... anyway... the counter guy said "yeah we have blah and blah balh..and balh blah ...and we just got some Linda Ronstadt tickets"...(BTW CHECK YOUR SPELLING ON THE THREAD TITLE)anyway...

So I asked the dude do you have good seats left for Linda?... and he said "WE JUST GOT THEM, WE HAVE NOT SOLD ANY, WE STILL HAVE FRONT ROW"... I was not much of a Linda fan at the point, but FRONT ROW!!?!!... I thought what the heck, I said "I'LL TAKE 4" (I think they they cost a whopping $5.50 or 9 dollars, or something per ticket.

So I bought 4 tickets for a small (3000 seat) hall in KC where the front row seats used to be pushed directly in front of a short four foot high stage (no barrier or barricade)(we could lean on the stage...

So my buddy bought 2 of the tickets from me and we took dates to the show....

Night of the show we moseyed on up to front row, we had not told our girls we had those killer seats, and they were giddy... we were the first people to arrive in the front row... and after sitting there for a bit, UH OH!! a guy comes out and says ...will you all come with me... UH OH! (not like I was carrying anything illegal or anything, NOT)(YIKES!!)... but I stayed cool and we went with the guy as he took back stage, off stage right and into a room that had 100-200 older tuxedo jackets hanging on racks... and he says everyone in the front 2 rows gets a free jacket.... so we got to take our pick and they fit perfectly... the girls looked so good in them.... the jackets were black and had this picture silk-screened in white on the back

with the local radio station PRESENTs on the bottom... it was awesome... the gilrs were delighted,,, we were heros... and sitting front row.... and then...

Then the show started... it was the first time I saw Waddy (I had never even heard of him) but we were right in front of him... 3 feet from him.... and from the first song I saw/heard him play I was amazed at him... here was this goofy hippy looking cat who could play the living sht out of the guitar, I loved that sound... and he played it perfect.

Linda was about 8-10 feet to our right, but Waddy was right in front of us... playing his heart out... and smiling at our appreciation.... IT WAS A SPECTACULAR NIGHT OF FUN.... and Linda/they played all of her hits... it was a mellower show than my usual tastes, but it was awesome... and the next day we all wore our jackets... and it was too cool for school words...

and of course I have loved Linda, and repsected Waddy, forevermore...

I never saw Linda live again... but I have now seen Waddy play live over and over and over, playing with/for everyone... I have seen Waddy play live (with other people) almost as many times as I have seen some of my favorite bands live He just kept popping up.... IWe would go to a show, and whoa... LQQK its hippy Waddy again... from Jackson Browne to Stevie Nicks... to even Adam Sandler(A.S. was live on tape for me)...

Waddy is a bad ass mofo.... he may not be a household name to the common Joe... but I would be just as happy to meet, and have a drink with him, as I would any other person on the Earth... WADDY WACHTEL RULES!!!

Awesome story Max! I was just a kid at the time Linda was a huge star. I think a lot of people forget how big she was in the mid-late 70s. She knew all the right, cool musicians, hung out with the SNL crowd. Loved her and always will.
And Poor Poor Pitiful Me is perfect.

Date: August 17, 2012 06:02

stupidguy2
Awesome story Max! I was just a kid at the time Linda was a huge star. I think a lot of people forget how big she was in the mid-late 70s. She knew all the right, cool musicians, hung out with the SNL crowd. Loved her and always will.
And Poor Poor Pitiful Me is perfect.
Right on Man.... Linda had hit after hit after hit...
and she sang a lot of other peoples songs... e.g.

I dedicate this one to my long lost Linda tuxedo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 06:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 17, 2012 07:10

My favorite...

Re: LINDA RONSTADT: Tumblin Dice
Date: August 17, 2012 07:51

Jah Paul
My favorite...

You know what is friggin cool as heck?
I am (accidently)playing catch up to cool stuff I did years ago.
Again... Thank You Waddy.... You are one the few sources of info for this

The above video says it is from The Fox Theater.. probably on
December 1st 1977... as discussed here on Waddy's website.

And that tour was supporting the new album "Simple Dreams"

which I never quite understood HOW HUGE it was...
but holy cow... Look at these tracks!!

Simple Dreams 1977
Label: Asylum

Tracks:
1. It's So Easy (B. Holly, N. Petty)
2. Carmelita (W. Zevon)
3. Simple Man, Simple Dream (J. D. Souther)
4. Sorrow Lives Here (E. Kaz)
5. I Never Will Marry (Traditional)
6. Blue Bayou (J. Melson, R. Orbison)
7. Poor, Poor Pitiful Me (W. Zevon)
8. Maybe I'm Right (W. Wachtel)
9. Tumbling Dice (M. Jagger, K. Richards)
10. Old Paint (Traditional)

and look at who wrote the tracks!!!

and then....although (for some reason) there are no official
tour dates listed on the web for that tour, 1977 must have
been the year because as I said the picture on back of the
tuxedos we were given was this one...

which is the picture from the 1977 tour program Tour program for sale here

and check out the set list for the Fox show on Dec 1 1977

December 1, 1977
Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA
Set List:

1. Lose Again
2. That'll Be The Day
3. Blue Bayou
4. Silver Threads And Golden Needles
5. Willin'
6. Faithless Love
7. It Doesn't Matter Anymore
8. When Will I Be Loved
9. Crazy
10. Poor Poor Pitiful Me
11. Desperado
12. Love Me Tender
13. Simple Man, Simple Dream
14. Love Is A Rose
15. Maybe I'm Right
16. It's So Easy
17. Someone To Lay Down Beside Me
18. Member Intro - Tumbling Dice
19. You're No Good
20. Sorrow Lives Here
21. Heatwave

WHOA!!! That tour 1977 set list is awesome... but I knew that...
I just didnt know the exact details of how awesome it was....

I knew she played all of her hits... plus a bunch...
I knew it was a good time, and when I first saw Waddy.....
but holy moly... I didnt know that was darn near a historical
high point to see Linda... I didnt realize how lucky we were...
but I thought it was SPECTACULAR... and it checking back.... it was.

The moral? "Get it while the getting is good"

FUN!!

PS

And ya know what is most funny?
Today, people trying to sell, on ebay, tickets to this 1977 tour
for $99.00.. when originally they only costs six fifty... lmao...

The bottom line...
Yes, I like Linda Ronstadt's version of Tumblin Dice from the album
"Simple Dreams", released back in 1977. I saw that tour, and I may
just go out buy that cd/LP/mp3 (again) tomorrow. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 08:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2012 11:48

peter
I've got the pix from the 78 Tucson show with Linda & Mick. Would like to own a tape of the show if a good version is available. peterstupar.com

Only a mediocre audience exists.

Mathijs

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:53

Nice live versions of TD and PPPM are on the soundtrack album from the movie "FM".

No Jagger, just Linda and her most excellent band.

She and Stevie Nicks filled my teenage fantasies in the 70s.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 17, 2012 18:02

Max'sKansasCity
My fav Waddy story....

Great story Max, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 17, 2012 18:33

And that voice! Linda, at her peak, had the purest voice of any of the female vocalists from that era. I think the fact that she sang primarily covers kept some from considering her an 'original artist', but damn, she had pipes like no other.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 18:47

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
My fav Waddy story....

Great story Max, thanks

indeed , great story , i enjoyed that !
her version of you're no good is a musical masterpiece and in my top ten of all time .

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 17, 2012 19:59

Max'sKansasCity

Waddy is what I would call a musician's musician. That's why he is tapped to do work from the likes of Stevie Nicks to the Rolling Stones. While he may not make any lists, he is truly one of the 50 best (rock) guitarists around, although I would put him in the top 20 for sure. They way he knocks out the intro to JJF (he could teach Keith a few things) and to listen to him play Eight Miles High, is absolutely jaw dropping. He is playing at the Joint on the 25th (Bernard Fowler is also scheduled) and I plan to be there like I am for almost all his shows.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 17, 2012 20:20

There is a good story of Linda Ronstadt asking the lyrics to Tumblin' Dice from Mick Jagger and sitting down and writing down exactly what Mick said, although he said at that time that he frequently changes the words in the lyrics.

There is probably a point thereafter in which he started to sing it exactly as Mick had dictated it to her.

Linda was cool, until she started hanging with Jerry Brown. Seemed her hippness kind of migrated over to Jerry who became somewhat cool for a while. I have always loved her voice and some of her songs when she didn't get too smaltzy and cute. Bettter as a rocker than a country artist was my take on her.

Cool story Max. Didn't she play the Missouri State fair one year in Sedalia? I remember Charlie Daniels around then and there too. peace

Date: August 17, 2012 20:26

Truely my pleasure to recall that story for you great guys...

And it was fun to go out on the web and learn more about that show/tour/album myself, which I had never done before. I guess we can spend so much time doing/seeing/rocking/partying having fun... that we can loss track of what we actually did... and at some point it is a good idea to reflect on it.... without "Glory Days"ing too much/too often.... dont wanna be too much of an old codger winking smiley

but beings this is a Linda thread...
better cap this post with the finale from that tour

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 20:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home