Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT - RIP Elvis Presley has died
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 17, 2012 01:28

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 17, 2012 02:25

Long John Stoner
The great Mojo Nixon's Elvis Is Everywhere:

The original video:

and Mojo live, older and well, larger, at Austin SXSW
2009:

I didn't know Mick Taylor played with Mojo Nixon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 17, 2012 02:27

Simply the greatest. His finest moments have not and cannot be bettered by anyone. Those fabulous Sun 45's and his 1950's RCA recordings represent the very best of popular music.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:00

Dirty, son....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 17, 2012 14:32

Very sad how when someones life and music career turned into a clown and a circus act. His movie making killed his carrer. You want to talk about a Vegas act? Elvis was the epitome of a Vegas act. Scmaltzy, corning, embarassing. He didn't make a big comeback with his TV special in the late 60's. He put amother nail in his coffin by being a spectical in Vegas like an rare animal at a zoo.

Date: August 17, 2012 16:17

More Hot Rocks
Very sad how when someones life and music career turned into a clown and a circus act. His movie making killed his carrer. You want to talk about a Vegas act? Elvis was the epitome of a Vegas act. Scmaltzy, corning, embarassing. He didn't make a big comeback with his TV special in the late 60's. He put amother nail in his coffin by being a spectical in Vegas like an rare animal at a zoo.

Although his movie career made him rich and an internationally recognized icon, it could be a bit cheesy as you say. However it far from killed his career as his biggest audiences were ahead of him and his popularity amongst fans and contemporaries absolutely soared in the 1970's. You sir have very uninformed opines.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 17, 2012 16:29

Munichhilton
More Hot Rocks

Although his movie career made him rich and an internationally recognized icon, it could be a bit cheesy as you say. However it far from killed his career as his biggest audiences were ahead of him and his popularity amongst fans and contemporaries absolutely soared in the 1970's. You sir have very uninformed opines.

Popularity has nothing to do with quality. You sir are very closed minded.

Date: August 17, 2012 16:40

More Hot Rocks
You sir are very closed minded.

But I'm the one that likes the 70's output!! You know how open minded that makes one?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:04

It true - The Colonel was responsible for some poor career choices for The King. That said, we're still praising him 35 years after his death.

I listened to lots of Elvis yesterday - as stated earlier, some of the finest music ever produced (I know, some cheese too, but the good stuff is on par with anybody).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:05

Munichhilton

I've never liked this picture of Elvis.

Date: August 17, 2012 17:25

Elmo Lewis
It true - The Colonel was responsible for some poor career choices for The King. That said, we're still praising him 35 years after his death.

I listened to lots of Elvis yesterday - as stated earlier, some of the finest music ever produced (I know, some cheese too, but the good stuff is on par with anybody).

Well typed and bless you.
We heard everything from "Make Me Know It" through to "Heart Of Rome"..
Yesterday was a fantastically closed minded celebration of Elvis music and Elvis food.

The girls cooked Dixie Chicken and the wife and I fixed Texas BBQ and banana splits.

Its good to eat like the king

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 17:29 by Munichhilton.

Date: August 17, 2012 17:28

Hope treacle....its Hope

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 17:29 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:34

Its sad to think that within 6 years Elvis will have been dead longer than he was alive.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:35

Munichhilton
Hope treacle....its Hope

hope springs elvis, or eternal, or something.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:39

An interpretative singer's recordings can only be good when they have a great backing track, too.

How would Elvis Presley be remembered today if he had not had his band(s)?

Bill Black, Scotty Moore, D. J. Fontana, James Burton, John Wilkinson, Jerry Scheff, Glen D. Hardin, Ron Tutt, and many more excellent musicians who have shared their tracks with the "King" deserve to be mentioned as well when it comes to the praise their lead singer is getting.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:46

Munichhilton
Elmo Lewis

Yesterday was a fantastically closed minded celebration of Elvis music and Elvis food.

The girls cooked Dixie Chicken and the wife and I fixed Texas BBQ and banana splits.

Sounds good. Got any leftovers?

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: August 17, 2012 18:05

without Elvis, there never would have been the Rolling Stones

end of story

Date: August 17, 2012 18:28

billwebster
An interpretative singer's recordings can only be good when they have a great backing track, too.

How would Elvis Presley be remembered today if he had not had his band(s)?

Bill Black, Scotty Moore, D. J. Fontana, James Burton, John Wilkinson, Jerry Scheff, Glen D. Hardin, Ron Tutt, and many more excellent musicians who have shared their tracks with the "King" deserve to be mentioned as well when it comes to the praise their lead singer is getting.

Elvis would be the first to agree and often praised his top notch musicians.
To be clear, those musicians absolutely jumped at the chance to play for Elvis....in the end he was the voice...

Date: August 17, 2012 18:29

Elmo Lewis
Munichhilton
Elmo Lewis

Sounds good. Got any leftovers?

Of course...it was an Elvis sized feast!

Date: August 17, 2012 18:29

cookwazzahoe
without Elvis, there never would have been the Rolling Stones

end of story

I'm re-tweeting this one...

Date: August 17, 2012 19:46

More Hot Rocks

Bad post. Way too drama queen for my liking. You forgot to mention divorce, undiagnsed depression and serious drug addiction to even out the ignorant overgeneralizations in your post. Thanks for trying though. And way to go on keepning it classy by thread-crapping on a thread that was supposed to honor someone who's passed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 19:48 by Justin.

Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: August 17, 2012 19:53

Remembering Elvis in 1977

Dave.
Rothesay NB, Canada

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 17, 2012 20:08

I've been listening to the new FTD set "A Boy From Tupelo". The document of Elvis' pre-RCA days is fascinating. This was before the movies, Vegas, and jump suits. This was a teenager who was trying to make it big. Its great if you have some spare change to pick it up quickly before it sells out.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 17, 2012 20:19

Elvis died?
OMG!
I'm in Shock!

...but I swore I saw him in the supermarket last night.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 17, 2012 20:29

BluzDude
Elvis died?
OMG!
I'm in Shock!

Funny how everyone see's him in a supermarket!

Date: August 17, 2012 20:45

Ha! Nicely done on making yourself look even more like an ass. It says a lot about someone who can't stand behind their own posts but rather sinks this low to make completely irrelevant comments about the poster calling them out on their BS. What are you, like five years old? Carry on...looking forward to more of your crap posts...

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 20:58

2000 LYFH
BluzDude
Elvis died?
OMG!
I'm in Shock!

Theres a guy works down my chip shop who swears he's Elvis

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: August 17, 2012 22:08

Happy Jack
I've been listening to the new FTD set "A Boy From Tupelo". The document of Elvis' pre-RCA days is fascinating. This was before the movies, Vegas, and jump suits. This was a teenager who was trying to make it big. Its great if you have some spare change to pick it up quickly before it sells out.

That is a great listen. I was worried at first at yet another Sun Sessions comp, but this really did need to be done. Its all there in one place now. I hadn't even heard some of those Hayride shows...great great stuff.

Date: August 17, 2012 22:13

2000 LYFH
BluzDude
Elvis died?
OMG!
I'm in Shock!

Hey, you gotta eat!

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: August 17, 2012 22:45

The king is dead: a classic Elvis tribute from the vaults

Elvis dies and the age of rock is over

Some interesting EP links in the second link; I particularly enjoyed, and agree wholeheartedly with, Nick Cohn:

What was his moment? 'I'd have to say Sun Records. Lasted about a year, from "That's All Right (Mama)" to "Mystery Train". After that, I made a lot of good records, great records even, but I was performing. At Sun, it was purely instinct.'
From here:
Elvis lives

Then he goes on to say:
'But I don't really follow who's new. I favour songs, more so than artists. Artists don't age too good.'
What about the Stones? 'I rest my case.'

NB: Quotes come from a work of fiction, but still a good read.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home