Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Who at the Olympics
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:45

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Also, what the hell was the point of the Bowie tribute?
He's not dead and couldn't be bothered to show!

Why not give Robert Plant his own 10 picture moment?
What about Eric Clapton?

That made zero sense to eulogize a living man...

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

I am only mildly curious at this point, it is not a big deal.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

[www.iorr.org]

Excellent use of the quoting thingy. I need to learn that.
I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the answer though.
If Bowie can't be bothered to be there, just be happy you got Take That to show up...

They belonged there whether you or I like them or not, as theyre a hugely successful act from the 90s onwards. The event was supposed to showcase different eras and genres of musical history, not be merely a 60s/70s 'rock' timewarp - seriously, how hard is this concept to grasp for some people?

The concept? Not hard to grasp...just not well thought out.
The excellent quoting work by Max. That's hard to grasp. Take That.

Munich, you're showing an ability to think in only, One Direction.

I knew your Beady Eye was lurking

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm the 6th spice girl...Drunk Spice.
They never let me perform with them...ever. I hate them for that.

I heard StonesTod's joining them for a Fall tour, and he'll be known as Old Spice.

Why didn't I think of that. Thats why they don't want me. They have him

It was going to be 'Acerbic Spice' but they thought most of the audience wouldn't know what that meant, so they went with the obvious.

I have nothing more to add, but I thought I would keep the thread moving towards the record...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:49

Munichhilton
I thought I would keep the thread moving towards the record...

You mean the record in quoting quotes ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 16, 2012 22:50

Rolling Hansie
Munichhilton
I thought I would keep the thread moving towards the record...

You mean the record in quoting quotes ?

Yeah. There must be a longer one in the Taylor V Woodie thread eh?

Date: August 16, 2012 22:52

Gazza, I sincerely admire your stamina in trying to explain the meaning of the closing ceremony. But don't you agree by now that it is a waste of time for some people ?

-------------------

Date: August 16, 2012 22:53

Munichhilton

Why ?

-------------------

Date: August 16, 2012 22:54

Rolling Hansie
Munichhilton

Why ?

Crap I don't know. What do you have to ask that for?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 16, 2012 22:56

Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

[www.iorr.org]

If Bowie can't be bothered to be there, just be happy you got Take That to show up...

They belonged there whether you or I like them or not, as theyre a hugely successful act from the 90s onwards. The event was supposed to showcase different eras and genres of musical history, not be merely a 60s/70s 'rock' timewarp - seriously, how hard is this concept to grasp for some people?

oh yeah, who are you?!

I heard StonesTod's joining them for a Fall tour, and he'll be known as Old Spice.

It was going to be 'Acerbic Spice' but they thought most of the audience wouldn't know what that meant, so they went with the obvious.

I have nothing more to add, but I thought I would keep the thread moving towards the record...
Did it, now let that be the end of it.

Date: August 16, 2012 22:58

Munichhilton
What do you have to ask that for?

Dunno

-------------------

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:14

GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

Although I have to say that these embedded quotes when you scroll down in the browser, the longer they get the more they have the look of one of those geometric poems of Dylan Thomas on the page. The more they go on, the more they have the look of high art....or something.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:31

stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

Although I have to say that these embedded quotes when you scroll down in the browser, the longer they get the more they have the look of one of those geometric poems of Dylan Thomas on the page. The more they go on, the more they have the look of high art....or something.

She's lookin' real purdy Vern!

Date: August 17, 2012 09:36

Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:39

GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good There was no promise made The part you played The chance you took There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good

Date: August 17, 2012 10:03

DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good There was no promise made The part you played The chance you took There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good
Can I have a biscuit?

Date: August 17, 2012 11:58

GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I was just going to post a comment about these super-highly embedded quotes posts having the geometric appearance of one of those Dylan Thomas poems, but I realize I just posted above about that... a few beers ago.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:07

stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I was just going to post a comment about these super-highly embedded quotes posts having the geometric appearance of one of those Dylan Thomas poems, but I realize I just posted above about that... a few beers ago.

I hadn't realized Danny Thomas wrote poems. Make Room For Daddy indeed!

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 17, 2012 17:17

With all the quoting, it makes a pretty little picture!

Date: August 17, 2012 20:58

treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I was going to post that these super-duper-highly-overly embedded quotes posts having the geometric sequential appearance of one of those Marlo Thomas poems but then I realized that someone else posted something juts like that above about that and above all else is... That Girl.

Date: August 17, 2012 22:17

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I was going to post that these super-duper-highly-overly embedded quotes posts having the geometric sequential appearance of one of those Marlo Thomas poems but then I realized that someone else posted something juts like that above about that and above all else is... That Girl.

Martin Luther King's gonna come in here and shut this thing down ya'll.

Date: August 17, 2012 22:24

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

He might dream about doing that, ya'll

Date: August 17, 2012 23:49

POPE PIUS V
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

You lot, get out my living room.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 17, 2012 23:51

This thread begins to look like a schillid animation

Date: August 18, 2012 00:30

NICOS
This thread begins to look like a schillid animation

NICOS would you mind sticking to the plan and put this comment on the quote monument?

Date: August 18, 2012 00:35

We're gonna need a bigger boat computer screen.

Date: August 18, 2012 00:56

GravityBoy
POPE PIUS V
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
GravityBoy
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I think at this point Etch A Sketch comes to mind, or maybe even Spirograph.

Date: August 18, 2012 09:04

The Artist Formally Known as Prince
stonesnow
POPE PIUS V
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
stonesnow
DEATH
Max'sKansasCity
Ethelred the Unready
treaclefingers
stonesnow
Martin Luther King
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Gazza
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

[www.iorr.org]

oh yeah, who are you?!

I'm not ready!!!
Can I have a biscuit?

I think at this point Etch A Sketch comes to mind, or maybe even Spirograph.
?
Impressive.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-18 09:09 by GravityBoy.

Date: August 18, 2012 10:26

[www.iorr.org]

-------------------

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home