Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Who at the Olympics
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 04:41

I was glad to see The Who and Ray Davies showed up for the closing. I really thought it pretty lame that Stones and Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour couldn't get off their asses to do one or two songs. Sure most of the show was pretty cheesy but how much rehearsing does it take to do "Satisfaction" or something short like "She's a Rainbow". I found it Unbelievable seeing Pink Floyd's drummer with a bunch of nobodys...

Ok got that off my chest - as you were...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 04:43 by Lynd8.

Re: The Who at the Olympics
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 14, 2012 05:06

What was up with Roger singing the "don't cry, don't raise your eye, it's only teenage wasteland" part in Baba O'Riley? Doesn't Pete do it anymore?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2012 05:10

Too much at stake for the Stones. What if they coughed it up in front of the world? Be a damn sight harder to sell tickets for the upcoming tour, whatever configuration it takes. Think of it this way, they are the only performers that could actually harm their careers at this point. The other people were great to see, but are all yesterday's news.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 14, 2012 05:25

Also, what the hell was the point of the Bowie tribute?
He's not dead and couldn't be bothered to show!

Why not give Robert Plant his own 10 picture moment?
What about Eric Clapton?

That made zero sense to eulogize a living man...

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:02

Roger was in good shape! His best vocal state in years!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:21

Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

I am only mildly curious at this point, it is not a big deal.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:30

definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category

Hey Gazza ... how about that one where Mick's hangin 'round Leicester Square & Nelsons Column ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:53

Rockman
definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category

Hey Gazza ... how about that one where Mick's hangin 'round Leicester Square & Nelsons Column ........

lol "maybe I'll get my ass f-ked" is now a line that only makes me think of ticket prices

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:31

dandelion1967
Roger was in good shape! His best vocal state in years!!

Yes, he had laser surgery in 2010 to remove a nodule that had been the source of his dodgy vocals in recent years--this particular surgery restores singers to nearly full range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 07:55 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:52

I watched the Who's performance with interest and could only think one thing: why couldn't they do this at the Super Bowl? Three songs, shortened, but performed excellently!
I will say I am pissed off at NBC here in the colonies. They included the Pet Shop Boys but couldn't find time for Ray Davies? Unexcusable.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 14, 2012 08:18

The Olympics Closing Ceremony was an amateurish, shambolic mess...an embarrassment...the most vulgar and trite elements of British "Popular" culture done in a 3rd rate manner and splashed over with a sensibility of infantile Gigantism. The amazing music and film and theater and dance that Britain has produced the last 50 years was done an immense disservice...Annie Lennox? Take That? Russel Brand? Spice Girls? Nick Mason with a band of street musicians trying to evoke Pink Floyd? Eric Idle? Kaiser Chiefs? George Michael? This was the 4th-string Junior Varsity team let loose on the global stage...only what is left of "The Who" (without OX and Moon I choke calling what is left "The Who")) redeemed the event...at least Daltrey sounded better than he has in years...the rest was utterly dreadful...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 08:50

Wow! Roger sounded fantastic! Interesting though that he sang Townshend's part on Baba????? That is one of Pete's iconic trade marks, and strange he didn't do it. And Rabbit not on keys?? Looked like Chris Stainton? But yeah, they sounded fantastic. And who the heck was that sole back up singer dude??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 08:52 by whitem8.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:20

The Who's backing singer was Billy Nicholls, who recorded a fantastic LP for Immediate in the '60s.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:21

Happy Jack
I watched the Who's performance with interest and could only think one thing: why couldn't they do this at the Super Bowl? Three songs, shortened, but performed excellently!
I will say I am pissed off at NBC here in the colonies. They included the Pet Shop Boys but couldn't find time for Ray Davies? Unexcusable.

Because Pete let Roger put together that stupid medley. One minute of Pinball Wizard and then a guitar change. They should have just blasted through Can't Explain, Substitute, My Generation and one of your choice. Plus I remember Pete's jacket was getting in his way, like that Kampuchea benefit in 1979.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:26

@#$%& blues is about London

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:42

Absent British music icons?

Sex Pistols.

I loved The Who bit.. all the the rest (except Eric Idle) was pants.

George Michael was ultra pants.

Date: August 14, 2012 10:16

I didn't hear any Pinball Wizard, but See Me Feel Me. Not sure that would have been the reason Roger sang Pete's. it was strange and I think a first for that song. I prefer Pete on it. But they sounded good and sound ready for the Quadrophenia tour.

Date: August 14, 2012 11:00

GravityBoy
Absent British music icons?

Sex Pistols.

I loved The Who bit.. all the the rest (except Eric Idle) was pants.

George Michael was ultra pants.

Thank you, GravityBoy, now I finally understand what Steve Jones said about the Tommy movie in the Amazing Journey documentary. I'm from the States, so I didn't pick up on that one. He said, "It pans, a bit pans," I thought, or was it "palls"? For years I've been trying to figure that one out--and now finally, in a post that, quite oddly enough, mentions both the Sex Pistols and The Who--funny, that, eh?

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:04

.... at The Euro Disneyland

.... at The Plopsa land

.... at The Superbowl

.... at your Gardenparty

My God

Date: August 14, 2012 11:13

jiggysawdust
The Who's backing singer was Billy Nicholls, who recorded a fantastic LP for Immediate in the '60s.

And who also sings a solo track Forever's No Time At All on Pete Townshend's first solo LP Who Came First.

Date: August 14, 2012 11:16

keefbajaga
.... at The Euro Disneyland

.... at The Plopsa land

.... at The Superbowl

.... at your Gardenparty

My God

.... at TD Garden in Boston, November 17. Got my ticket, and I'm looking forward...

Date: August 14, 2012 11:20

I am envious Stonesnow. I am in Jakarta and wont be in the US while they are on tour. I am back in December and miss their last December gig, and then head back to Asia in Jan, so miss the start up in Feb. Should be great and I expect a full report and set list!

Date: August 14, 2012 11:35

whitem8
I am envious Stonesnow. I am in Jakarta and wont be in the US while they are on tour. I am back in December and miss their last December gig, and then head back to Asia in Jan, so miss the start up in Feb. Should be great and I expect a full report and set list!

Will do, whitem8--though, of course, for this particular tour you know most of the set list already.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:37

stonesnow
jiggysawdust

And who also sings a solo track Forever's No Time At All on Pete Townshend's first solo LP Who Came First.

Would You Believe It is the album in question by Billy Nicholls: it has most of the Small Faces on it, and is a fine album. PP Arnold also sings backing on it.

The Who were very good at the Closing Ceremony.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:42

I think the sound was not live at all.....................Did you really enjoyed this poppy show

Posted by: MadeinEngland ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:47

Would of been nice to see Coronation Street included in the ceremony

The Rolling Stones
Made in England

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:53

stonesnow
Thank you, GravityBoy, now I finally understand what Steve Jones said about the Tommy movie in the Amazing Journey documentary. I'm from the States, so I didn't pick up on that one. He said, "It pans, a bit pans," I thought, or was it "palls"? For years I've been trying to figure that one out--and now finally, in a post that, quite oddly enough, mentions both the Sex Pistols and The Who--funny, that, eh?

No problem.

These are pants in Britain.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:55

Lynd8
Pink Floyd's drummer with a bunch of nobodys

Mike Rutherford a nobody ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 14, 2012 15:55

Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton

What about Eric Clapton?

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I am still mildly curious... and ask again... I wonder why they gave Bowie such a nice segment, but did not give The Rolling Stones so much as a whisper.

I am only mildly curious at this point, it is not a big deal.

Bowie is and has been every bit as big in the UK as the Stones. He's probably the most important and iconic British act since the 60s.

Watching bits of it again, its sort of dawning on me a bit more that a lot of us are missing the 'context' a bit. Naturally, if you were including great and iconic British acts, the Stones would be in the top tier of music to be represented - but if you're showcasing 'Britishness' in music - maybe less so. The Stones' music isn't really typically British in the way that The Beatles, Bowie, The Who or The Kinks would be.

'Waterloo Sunset' was the absolute perfect choice for an occasion like this. Its probably THE definitive London pop song. The Stones don't really have a song that could be pigeonholed into that category ('Street Fighting Man' maybe - at an absolute push....but its not anywhere near their most iconic song). Neither do Led Zeppelin for that matter.

[www.iorr.org]

Excellent use of the quoting thingy. I need to learn that.
I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the answer though.
If Bowie can't be bothered to be there, just be happy you got Take That to show up...

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: August 14, 2012 16:36

I am going to see the Who in November. Roger sounded great the other night. He was nothing short of brillant on his Tommy tour. Talk about only 2 members left. That seems to be the case with most groups from that era. Queen for example. The list is endless. Not that I care for them but how many member are with Lynyrd Skynyrd? The Allman Brothers? Yes? The Beach Boys? Jethro Tull? Uriah heep? Time waits on no one. (Sorry, just had to throw that in..) We are lucky to have The Stones and Deep Purple with so many original or long standing members. The worst has to The Marshall Tucker Band. Not one single member from the original band. Groups are now brand names. A company to work for. Employees come and go.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home