Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor - "No Expectations" LIVE IN LONDON
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 5, 2012 18:40

Live in Chelsea, 6th July 2012. A great show!

Re: Mick Taylor - "No Expectations" LIVE IN LONDON
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 5, 2012 19:22

Shocking!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 20:05

Lazy, sloppy, but ultimately effective and very nice. I wish Taylor would give the song the respect it deserves.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: August 6, 2012 20:42

poor fat Mick Taylor....

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 21:10

It's a three chord mess!

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: August 6, 2012 22:34

On this one, Mick T doesn't do this song justice, just know he is capable to play this song much better, maybe just a bad night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 22:58 by Blue.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 6, 2012 22:56

Him choosing this song to sing, with its lyrics

must be bittersweet

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:16

great great stuff Mick
you show them
maybe its whats its gonna be in November , the band playing like this
hahahah
jeroen

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:20

I thought he was great! But I was very, very drunk. StraycatUK nearly got us arrested in Leicester Square after the gig, right Dave?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 7, 2012 15:37

Awful! thumbs down

Date: August 7, 2012 16:36

I think the idea is interesting: To make a looser, phaser-driven version of No Expectations, making room for intrumentalism towards the end.

The main problem is that Taylor, vocal-wise treats the song like an unwanted child - without even a tad of enthusiasm, peeling away the beauty of the song.

I'm having some trouble getting used to the wrong lyrics, as well as the constant delaying of every phrase in the song.

This version, in particular, is a bit sloppy played as well, unfortunately. However, we all know he can play way better than this...

By showing a bit more love for this song, it could be great, imo.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 7, 2012 16:42

Taylor seems to be having a lot of bad nights lately.moody smiley

Date: August 7, 2012 16:44

sweetcharmedlife

Been that way for years and years.

Date: August 7, 2012 18:40

there's nothing wrong with this... i mean c'mon, who ever thought MT was a singer, anyway?

his slide is nice

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:43

His Majesty
sweetcharmedlife

Been that way for years and years.

That guitarsolo is just not prepared or rehearsed...or what? Why can't he play over a three chord song?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 7, 2012 19:11

flairville
I thought he was great! But I was very, very drunk. StraycatUK nearly got us arrested in Leicester Square after the gig, right Dave?

Don't f**kin' remind me ........... I was trying to forget !eye popping smiley

sc uk

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 7, 2012 19:28

The trouble with Taylor's performance is that it's static and boring. He's like your average pub or bar-act these days. Sometimes he's really good but the overall performance, band included, is boring. You might as well drink some beers and chatter away while he's playing. And he has no stage presence whatsoever.He looks bored and hardly speaks to the audience. Which is a vital part playing small clubs. You must connect with your paying audience.

Date: August 8, 2012 03:52

pinkfloydthebarber
there's nothing wrong with this... i mean c'mon, who ever thought MT was a singer, anyway?

his slide is nice

His playing is as shite as his singing.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 8, 2012 05:27

Hmm...what's worse, Taylor's version of "No Expectations" without the Stones, or the Stones live version of "Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" without Taylor?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 8, 2012 05:53

71Tele
Hmm...what's worse, Taylor's version of "No Expectations" without the Stones, or the Stones live version of "Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" without Taylor?

Well, if you wanna vote, No Expectations wins, with Sway a close second.
I opened for Taylor once or twice years ago in LA, and just like this clip, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but doing the gig. He was nervous and very self-conscious,
and the band he had was nothing special. Clearly he's no band leader. Same thing when I saw him with Carla Olsen (he was kinda co-billed with her). THe only time I really remember him cutting loose was when I saw him with Mayall in 1982 (?) at the Roxy.
Mayall ran that gig, called the shots, did the singing. They were great. I realize he has to play a few Stones songs, but...
I haven't kept track on all his solo gigs, but has he ever toured with a lead singer and steady band (besides the Stones--ha ha ha--and Carla Olson)?

Date: August 8, 2012 05:57

tomk
71Tele

Well, if you wanna vote, No Expectations wins, with Sway a close second.
I opened for Taylor once or twice years ago in LA, and just like this clip, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but doing the gig. He was nervous and very self-conscious,
and the band he had was nothing special. Clearly he's no band leader. Same thing when I saw him with Carla Olsen (he was kinda co-billed with her). THe only time I really remember him cutting loose was when I saw him with Mayall in 1982 (?) at the Roxy.
Mayall ran that gig, called the shots, did the singing. They were great. I realize he has to play a few Stones songs, but...
I haven't kept track on all his solo gigs, but has he ever toured with a lead singer and steady band (besides the Stones--ha ha ha--and Carla Olson)?

Tomk I agree with you - he's no bandleader and no solo artist. Which is why my interest in him is pretty much confined to the Stones. I'll stick my neck out and say that I liked his first solo album very much though. Good Stonesey rockers and a couple of nice ballads which he sang quite well.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 8, 2012 06:06

71Tele

clearly this IMO

Date: August 8, 2012 06:38

melillo
71Tele

clearly this IMO

Hmm...maybe. I think he attempted something cool and different with the phased guitar. Maybe not that well executed. But the Stones' execution of the two above-mentioned Sticky Fingers tunes was very pale as well, IMO.

Date: August 8, 2012 06:47

His Majesty
pinkfloydthebarber

his slide is nice

His playing is as shite as his singing.

shite compared to what?

MT's shite is better than most peoples best

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 8, 2012 06:49

71Tele
melillo
71Tele

clearly this IMO

Hmm...maybe. I think he attempted something cool and different with the phased guitar. Maybe not that well executed. But the Stones' execution of the two above-mentioned Sticky Fingers tunes was very pale as well, IMO.

I remember when they first tried Sway (I think you can find the old thread on here somewhere). Clearly the band didn't seem that enthusiastic playing it, and Wood never seemed to get a handle on the end solo (which is over two chords!). I saw them do it at the LA Forum later and it wasn't much better. Fun to hear live, but nothing to write home about. It definitely was for aficionados only.

Date: August 8, 2012 06:55

tomk
71Tele
melillo
71Tele

clearly this IMO

I remember when they first tried Sway (I think you can find the old thread on here somewhere). Clearly the band didn't seem that enthusiastic playing it, and Wood never seemed to get a handle on the end solo (which is over two chords!). I saw them do it at the LA Forum later and it wasn't much better. Fun to hear live, but nothing to write home about. It definitely was for aficionados only.

I give them points for trying. It's a great song and lots of us wanted to hear it. Just wished they had actually taken it somewhat seriously. Oh well.

Date: August 8, 2012 08:18

OK, I agree that the Stones later version of Sway was only pretty good and I was damn glad I got to hear and see them try it live but Can't You Hear Me Knocking in Cleveland '02 stands out as a true high light among all the live Stones concerts I've ever attended. I guess if your a hardcore Taylor fan (or sh*t faced drunk) you could convince your self that Taylor's performance posted here is good; maybe even brilliant. But in my opinion you would have to be tripping on LSD or Bath Salts or whatever to honestly believe that Taylor's performance of No Expectations posted here is truly better than the Stones later live versions of Sway or CYHMK. Taylor's performance of No Expectations live in London is just plain bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 19:22 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 08:27

There's another thread that was put up about a week ago with video of MT playing more recently in Paris. I Wonder Why and Stop Breaking Down are the tunes. The quality of the playing on that is infinitely better, as is the quality of the recording. But there's less than half the amount of comments on that thread as there is on this one although its been available for twice as long. Don't watch this video....watch the other one!

Date: August 8, 2012 10:10

The only fair comparison should be with the Stones's version of No Expectations, and imo the version on Four Flicks is way better than this.

Can't really put my finger on why CYHMK was so horrible, either. Keith's sound was a bit too clean, but the groove, Mick's singing, the sax solo and the harp solo were all great. Ronnie had some good nights and some off nights, when drunk.

Sway was a mess, from Mick's singing, via Keith's horrible guitar to Ronnie's squeaking solos.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 8, 2012 14:28

I said it before (and I think Tele jumped at me lol).
I think Taylor has for years been one of those musicians who can't afford to stop but most of the time doesn't really want to to the job anymore.That's quite sad most of the time.
Perhaps he got back some of his guts since the talk of him doing big jobs again hopefully soon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home