Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: 2120 South Michigan Avenue
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2016 11:23

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Composer: Nanker Phelge (The Rolling Stones)
Recording date: June 1964
Recording location: Chess Studios, Chicago, USA
Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer: Ron Malo

First released: 14th August 1964: The Rolling Stones (EP) ‘Five By Five’
Label: Decca DFE 8590

Different versions:
2120 South Michigan Avenue 2:07 EP (1964) and original 12 X 5 album version (1964)
2120 South Michigan Avenue 3:38 LP German album Around and Around (1964) and CD 12 X 5 (2002)

Voice: ?
Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Harmonica: Brian Jones
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Tambourine: Mick Jagger
Organ: Ian Stewart

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Ooh...

Hey..

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Re: Track Talk: 2120 South Michigan Avenue
Date: September 26, 2016 11:23

Well officially we are finished with Rene’s list of totally of 357 songs started 18th of August 2008...thanks again Rene for you effort on this I know you had a lot of work to do this.

And I want to thank Green Lady for the great Tracking Cookie Index: [iorr.org] ................

Next week I will start with the missing songs of Metamorphosis.........after that I assume the new record is released grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 11:42 by NICOS.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 26, 2016 11:54

It was fun while it lasted...
Thanks Nicos, for continueing Rene's work, thank you Rene and Green Lady.

Now, I could make a deep analysis of the lyrics of 2120 South Michigan Avenue, and emphasize
the great bass lines Bill plays, Brians virtuoso harp playing, Stu's funky organ playing,
and Mick's excellent work on the tamborine.
But let's all just listen to it, and dance!

video: [youtu.be]
youtube

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 26, 2016 12:48

would not it be nice, if they open the desert shows with this song??
Really love the song.
Jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 26, 2016 13:35

At times it kinda reminds me of 60s-movies-soundtracks... I like this track, but most of all I love the poignant lyrics.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 26, 2016 13:38

The long version can be also found on the French LP version of "Around and Around".
I remember some story about Muddy Waters himself adding some slide at the end. I wonder if does exist any confirmation ?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 26, 2016 13:55

djgab
The long version can be also found on the French LP version of "Around and Around".
I remember some story about Muddy Waters himself adding some slide at the end. I wonder if does exist any confirmation ?

The full name on the tape box is "2120 South Michigan Ave. (And Muddy Came Too)".
This might have been an indication that Muddy was on the track and why it was faded after approx. 2 mins.
It might also just mean that he was in the studio at the time, perhaps on a break from painting the goddamned ceiling!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 16:16 by Deltics.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 26, 2016 14:11

Andrew: 'Boys, we got 15 more minutes before we have to wrap up the session.

Mick: 'Keef, Brian, Charlie, Bill - are you ready? Fast walkin' blues in G Major. Are you ready - let's go.'

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 26, 2016 14:19

Short but ohhhh so sweet. Even without a vocal, this is pure Rolling Stones magic, capturing the unvarnished joy of the blues and the liberation that it brings. Marvelous organ work from Ian. And that wailing, piercing harp from Brian is just magnificent. Love it!!!

Drew

Date: September 26, 2016 14:32

marcovandereijk

Now, I could make a deep analysis of the lyrics of 2120 South Michigan Avenue, and emphasize
the great bass lines Bill plays, Brians virtuoso harp playing, Stu's funky organ playing,

+1

Drew

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2016 16:53

The first Nanker Phelge composition, I'd have to believe ... I haven't heard that Andrew's Blues track in a long time, wasn't that the same track, with the perverse vocals added to 2120 SMA?

Possibly it was a different track, I'll have to dig that up for another listen.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 26, 2016 17:22

LeonidP
The first Nanker Phelge composition, I'd have to believe ... I haven't heard that Andrew's Blues track in a long time, wasn't that the same track, with the perverse vocals added to 2120 SMA?

Possibly it was a different track, I'll have to dig that up for another listen.

I think 'Stoned' from 1963 would be the first NP composition?

Date: September 26, 2016 17:33

From WIKI (not sure if it's correct though)

Nanker Phelge (aka Nanker/Phelge) was a collective pseudonym used between 1963 and 1965 for several Rolling Stones group compositions. [1]Stones bassist Bill Wyman explained the origins of the name in his 2002 book, Rolling with the Stones:

Songs credited to Nanker Phelge[edit]

"Stoned" (Oct. 1963) (ASCAP also credits Ian Stewart as co-writer)
"Little by Little" (Feb. 1964) (credited as 'Phelge') (co-written with Phil Spector; ASCAP also credits Ian Stewart as co-writer)
"Andrew's Blues" (Feb. 1964) (unreleased)
"And Mr. Spector And Mr. Pitney Came Too" (Feb. 1964) (an instrumental blues-rock jam with prominent harmonica, unreleased, co-written with Phil Spector) Appears on the Black Box bootleg compilation.
"Now I've Got a Witness" (credited as 'Phelge') (Apr. 1964)
"Stewed and Keefed (Brian's Blues)" (Jun. 1964)
"2120 South Michigan Avenue" (Aug. 1964)
"Empty Heart" (Aug. 1964)
"Off The Hook" (Nov. 1964) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge", but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"Play with Fire" (Feb. 1965)
"The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" (May 1965)
"The Spider And The Fly" (July 1965) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge" but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"I'm All Right" (July 1965) (sometimes credited to Phelge/McDaniel, although it is an Ellas McDaniel cover song. Now credited to Jagger/Richards)
"Godzi" (unreleased and unavailable on bootleg, although the song has been registered with BMI)
"We Want The Stones" (actually this is audience cheering on the 1965 Got Live If You Want It! E.P.)

Bill Wyman claims in his books that "Paint It Black" was a collective effort of the group, and should have been credited to Nanker Phelge, but mistakenly was credited to Jagger/Richards in the end.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 26, 2016 17:54

This is classic early stones, one of the best they ever did.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2016 18:09

drewmaster
marcovandereijk

+1

Drew

thumbs upthumbs up

And not to forget Keith stellar guitar solo - he had some chops!!!

So what's next...maybe the Beatles catalogue? winking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 26, 2016 19:54

drewmaster
Short but ohhhh so sweet. Even without a vocal, this is pure Rolling Stones magic, capturing the unvarnished joy of the blues and the liberation that it brings. Marvelous organ work from Ian. And that wailing, piercing harp from Brian is just magnificent. Love it!!!

Drew

I have deeply loved it through all these years. All of it, but especially the harp. Magical!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 26, 2016 20:47

Great Stones Sixties track and I always enjoy listening to this track.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2016 00:34

ain't it just a wonderful pulsating piece of grooooove .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 27, 2016 10:35

..Mmmmm an early favorite of mine...5/5

2 1 2 0

Date: September 28, 2016 12:42

"Mick's excellent work on the tambourine" LOL

But there is another version. With two guitars. We had a discussion about this years ago. About who would be playing the harp; if it was Jagger.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 28, 2016 14:51

NICOS
Well officially we are finished with Rene’s list of totally of 357 songs started 18th of August 2008...thanks again Rene for you effort on this I know you had a lot of work to do this.

And I want to thank Green Lady for the great Tracking Cookie Index: [iorr.org] ................

Next week I will start with the missing songs of Metamorphosis.........after that I assume the new record is released grinning smiley

What songs are missing?

Date: September 28, 2016 14:52

The Stones go Booker T & The MGs (and I like it!)

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: September 28, 2016 16:31

Deltics
djgab

The full name on the tape box is "2120 South Michigan Ave. (And Muddy Came Too)".
This might have been an indication that Muddy was on the track and why it was faded after approx. 2 mins.
It might also just mean that he was in the studio at the time, perhaps on a break from painting the goddamned ceiling!

The guitar solo is Keith, and there's no evidence of another guitar, so if it means anything, it must just be that he was in the studio at the time.

Oddly, it appears that the tape is listed as being Scotch 207 ("S207" next to "TAPE"), which I don't believe was introduced until 1969. It's unclear why a dub would have been made then. Perhaps at some point Decca went back to the original stereo mixes from Chess and re-compiled some things? My understanding is the original stereo issue of Big Hits used fake stereo for It's All Over Now and Time Is On My Side, while a later reissue used the true stereo mixes, so perhaps this Five By Five tape was created around the same time?

Date: September 28, 2016 16:47

Ron Malo remembering recording the Stones at Chess.
He starts off talking about "It's All Over Now".

[books.google.co.uk]

Date: September 28, 2016 17:10

Blueranger
NICOS

What songs are missing?

"Each and Everyday of the Year"
"I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys"
"Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind"
"Try a Little Harder"
"(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

Date: September 28, 2016 17:12

drewmaster
Blueranger
NICOS

What songs are missing?

"Try a Little Harder"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

If I'm not mistaken, Da Doo Ron Ron and Memphis Tennessee are missing as well.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 28, 2016 18:27

Palace Revolution 2000
But there is another version. With two guitars. We had a discussion about this years ago. About who would be playing the harp; if it was Jagger.

Yes, on the BBC version Mick (most likely) is playing harmonica, with Brian and Keith on guitars. Not nearly as great harmonica as on the studio recording...

Date: September 28, 2016 20:41

DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
Blueranger
NICOS

What songs are missing?

"Try a Little Harder"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

Drew is right that are the ones..............I'm not sure about Da Doo Ron Ron to me this is a solo song/attempt...........
And Memphis Tennessee are only available as bootleg never released officially..........maybe the next step to discuss

Date: September 28, 2016 20:45

NICOS
DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
Blueranger
NICOS

What songs are missing?

"Try a Little Harder"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

Drew is right that are the ones..............I'm not sure about Da Doo Ron Ron to me this is a solo song/attempt...........
And Memphis Tennessee are only available as bootleg never released officially..........maybe the next step to discuss

Both were officially released on The Rest Of The Best.

All those songs were intended for other artists, and it's mostly Mick and other musicians.

So, the two songs I mentioned are in the same category as the Metamorphosis-tracks.

Date: September 28, 2016 20:54

DandelionPowderman
NICOS
DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
Blueranger
NICOS

What songs are missing?

"Try a Little Harder"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

Both were officially released on The Rest Of The Best.

All those songs were intended for other artists, and it's mostly Mick and other musicians.

So, the two songs I mentioned are in the same category as the Metamorphosis-tracks.
Both tracks were officially released in 1964 by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra on the album "16 Hip Hits".
Da Doo Ron Ron only features Mick and Memphis "features" the Stones.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home