Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Way OT: Jesus and Mary Chain?
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:00

Jesus and Mary Chain are playing a free show tonite in my town. I know one song ('Head On') which I like, but know nothing else about them, other than there seem to be some critics who really loved them back in the day.

Worth seeing?

Re: Way OT: Jesus and Mary Chain?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:11

I don't know much about them either, but I'm going to see them in September.

The show was supposed to happen in April, but was postponed until Sept. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:12

Absolutely go see them. Beautiful songs with lots of fuzzeffects. thumbs up

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:15

I don't know what they're like at this stage, but if you like the Stones and the bad-boy image, you definitely might like them -- dark, moody but '60s-derived rock. Lot of VU influence. Many of their shows ended in riots in the '80s!

"Head On" is typical of the sound, though maybe a little more Ramones-y than other songs.

enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-02 22:16 by cc.

Date: August 2, 2012 23:25

cc
I don't know what they're like at this stage, but if you like the Stones and the bad-boy image, you definitely might like them -- dark, moody but '60s-derived rock. Lot of VU influence. Many of their shows ended in riots in the '80s!

"Head On" is typical of the sound, though maybe a little more Ramones-y than other songs.

enjoy!

Glad you mentioned the Ramones. When I first heard it in the 80s I thought it was a Ramones song. Thanks for the input. You swayed me. I'm going. Free show, $3 beers, outdoors.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 2, 2012 23:42

They were great in their day. Like a cross between The Velvet Underground and early The Beach Boys with a fuzzed out psychotic sound. Didn't know they had reformed. Absolutely go and see them.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 3, 2012 00:11

Silver Dagger
They were great in their day. Like a cross between The Velvet Underground and early The Beach Boys with a fuzzed out psychotic sound. Didn't know they had reformed. Absolutely go and see them.

Yes GO! For Free, you can't miss. If it weren't for the traffic I'd hike down to Buffalo tonight and catch it. As it is, I'm seeing them at the Phoenix in Toronto tomorrow night. They are known to be tempermental sometimes and occasionally very sloppy, but they have worked out the kinks and their recent sets have been way more solid than the the ones in Texas earlier this year.

A personal favourite of mine:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 00:12 by andrewt.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 3, 2012 00:29

Jim and Willie Reid are the most original rock act to come out of Scotland in past 30 years.

Date: August 3, 2012 01:15

andrewt
they have worked out the kinks and their recent sets have been way more solid than the the ones in Texas earlier this year.

The New Orleans show from earlier this year was postponed. I wonder if this might be why.

At first I was pissed that they postponed, but maybe it's for the better.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 3, 2012 05:16

I described them last month to a friend as "a cross between the Beach Boys and a chain saw."

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 3, 2012 18:36

andrewt
Silver Dagger

Yes GO! For Free, you can't miss. If it weren't for the traffic I'd hike down to Buffalo tonight and catch it. As it is, I'm seeing them at the Phoenix in Toronto tomorrow night. They are known to be tempermental sometimes and occasionally very sloppy, but they have worked out the kinks and their recent sets have been way more solid than the the ones in Texas earlier this year.

A personal favourite of mine:

I've been following them since the first record and still listen to them frequently. More recently, the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club put out two albums heavily reminiscent of the JAMC but then followed it up with a very Stones-y third album.

I love Blues From A Gun too. Other favorites:

Happy When It Rains
Head On
Between Planets
Far Gone And Out
I Hate Rock N Roll

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:11

Amen to the above. And let us not forget "Reverence" and "Just Like Honey" (Ronettes influence loud 'n proud)

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:19

Agree with everything written here and I would add that the sometimes maligned second album, Darklands, is actually my favourite. Huge, epic great pop songs.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:20

Silver Dagger

Perfectly put. Loved their 80's albums. Brilliant stuff like Psychocandy and Darklands. They were fascinating.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:14

Edith Grove
andrewt
they have worked out the kinks and their recent sets have been way more solid than the the ones in Texas earlier this year.

The New Orleans show from earlier this year was postponed. I wonder if this might be why.

Could be, but I think it was some problem with their visas. You'll definitely get a better show in Sept. The first few were pretty iffy, equipment problems, band squabbles, rots of retstarts and so on.

the Buffalo News had this to say about last night:

"Suffice it to say that this band has lost nothing but hair over the years. The rich blend of guitars, the merciless bass, the way it all worked together — even though it shouldn’t have — all were in ample evidence."

Setlist: Snakedriver/Head On/Far Gone & Out/Between Planets/Blues From A Gun/Teenage Lust/Cracking Up/All Things Must Pass/Some Candy Talking/Happy When It Rains/just Like Honey/Reverence Encore: The Hardest Walk/Taste Of Cindy/Never Understand

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 22:18 by andrewt.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:48

andrewt
Edith Grove
andrewt

Could be, but I think it was some problem with their visas. You'll definitely get a better show in Sept. The first few were pretty iffy, equipment problems, band squabbles, rots of retstarts and so on.

the Buffalo News had this to say about last night:

"Suffice it to say that this band has lost nothing but hair over the years. The rich blend of guitars, the merciless bass, the way it all worked together — even though it shouldn’t have — all were in ample evidence."

Setlist: Snakedriver/Head On/Far Gone & Out/Between Planets/Blues From A Gun/Teenage Lust/Cracking Up/All Things Must Pass/Some Candy Talking/Happy When It Rains/just Like Honey/Reverence Encore: The Hardest Walk/Taste Of Cindy/Never Understand

Thank You ! thumbs up

Date: August 4, 2012 03:47

I only caught the second half of the show...they were really good. Full of power and experimentation, loud and challenging. I definitely have to check out more of their music! If they come to your town, this is no nostalgia act - they played with fire.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 4, 2012 05:54

thanks for the report! I agree with andrewm on the album Darklands and cbtaco on comparisons to Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, though I've heard only a few tracks of theirs.

Date: August 4, 2012 16:04

I had not thought about a Black Rebel Motorcycle Club comparison. I saw them live in a club 3 years ago. BRMC is definitely heavier, more droning...but def could be part of the evolution of J&MC's sound. Seeing both live, I prefer J&MC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home