Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Dylan/Grateful Dead -insight into singer/songwriter
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 15:43

See 9th paragraph for great insight into singer/songwriter.

Great story in general....

By David Fricke

August 1, 2012 12:00 PM ET

On March 14th, 1990, the Grateful Dead opened a six-city, 16-show tour at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. Singer-guitarist Bob Weir remembers that sprint as "the high point of that era." The following July, keyboard player Brent Mydland suffered a fatal drug overdose. In August 1995, lead guitarist Jerry Garcia died of a heart attack, effectively ending the band.

But in the spring of 1990, Weir contends, "We were hot, feeling our oats and surprising each other on stage. The jams had personality and space. We were in good shape and had nothing better to do than get down on the music."

The proof officially arrives on September 1st in an 18-CD box, Spring 1990, released by Rhino and available for pre-order at dead.net. The set, limited to 9,000 copies and costing $199.98, features six complete concerts, one from each venue on that tour, with deluxe packaging and a 60-page hardcover book. The shows in Spring 1990 will not be sold individually, but Rhino is also issuing a two-CD compilation drawn from the box.

Aside from a few tracks from a date in Albany, New York, the shows are previously unissued, and the set lists cover the Dead's lifetime to that point, from "Morning Dew" on their 1967 debut LP to "Picasso Moon" from 1989's Built to Last. "The improvising is great," says the box's producer, Dead archivist David Lemieux, who saw 10 shows on the tour as "a 19-year-old Deadhead." But what distinguishes Spring 1990 "is how the Dead play smaller songs like 'Big River' with such furious energy – and nailing it."

Weir and drummer Mickey Hart spoke about the new box and that tour for a story in the new issue, on newsstands Friday, August 3rd. Here is more from those conversations.

How would you describe Garcia's health at the time of the shows in this set? He'd been through the coma in 1986, but his playing is strong and focused on this tour.
Bob Weir: He was eating well. He was off the Persian. And he was living life to the fullest, at least for him. For instance, he took up scuba diving. He insisted that I join him in Hawaii, so he could show me around down there. He was loving life and having a good time. He was out of the darker bag he'd been in.

There is an energy and love of performing, a spirit of continuing renewal, in these performances, in the way you cover the band's whole life on record in the set lists and in the Traffic and Band covers you added to the rotation.
Weir: A lot of those songs were actually broken out the night they were delivered on stage. I remember the Paul McCartney tune, "That Would Be Something" [from 1970's McCartney] – we were in a jam one night, and that just came out. [The Rolling Stones'] "The Last Time" and [Spencer Davis Group's] "Gimme Some Lovin'" came back around the same way.

We were real open, so it wasn't hard to hear suggestions, either in the back of your head or in what someone else was playing, that would take us to a new place. There were a lot of jams that were one of a kind, with their own personality and space. It was a hopping era for us.

How much did your 1987 tour with Bob Dylan expand your covers repertoire? Folk and blues standards were always vital to your shows, but did working with his catalog open you up to that classic era of rock songs?
Weir: Touring with Dylan reminded us that within the song there is a poem. And within the poem, there is a character telling the story. And that's where the song lives. There is a kernel of something that is bigger than the notes, bigger than the poetry. And that is the song. Our tour with Dylan reawakened us to that notion. We took the bit and ran with it.

There is a stunning momentun and consistently high quality to the shows from this tour, which is regularly cited by Deadheads as one of your best. Yet by mid-summer, Brent Mydland was dead. What changed?
Weir: Probably chemicals. I think it was getting too much for Brent. When I first met Brent, he was a temperate, modest soul. Inside the Dead, the enormity of that endeavor proved to be too much for him. When we got to this peak in the spring of 1990, things were going almost too well. It was straight-up too much too soon for him, even though he had been in the band 10 years. He was living on brinksmanship. It was as if he became a victim of his own success.
The Spring 1990 tour marked your 25th anniversary as a working group. Yet you were playing at a higher rate of excellence and adventure than a lot of bands half your age.
Mickey Hart: With In the Dark, we had to start defending the shows. People were breaking in. It was 50,000 people inside, 50,000 outside. There was a lot of pressure on us to keep the peace. But it was hot on all fronts – the band was in a good playing place. Brent was really cranking, and we were bringing a lot of the old stuff out – "Death Don't Have No Mercy," "Attics of My Life." There was no pressure to reinvent. We were just being the Grateful Dead. And Jerry was feeling good.

Your "Drum" spot with Bill Kreutzmann was an established part of the shows but also a place where anything could happen. How much did you and Bill talk about what to play – and what was new to do?
Hart: We never did. That was one of the rules of "Drums" and "Space." It was a place we left barren as far as talking about or arranging anything. Sometimes we'd have fun with stuff. If we were in Las Vegas, I'd sample the slot machines and make that part of it. It was a surprise to Bill, and we'd both react on it.

We'd play with the band all night on drums, so we were anxious to get off to a new space, like open-field running in football. It was the place where you could take a deep breath, relax and create something in the moment, as opposed to recreating something and embellishing it, which is what jamming [on a song] is all about. This was making it happen in the moment.

In the first show in this box, at the Capital Centre, you play the hit single "Touch of Grey" right away: second song, first set, as if to say, "Let's get this out of the way."
Hart: [Laughs] Yeah. Everybody wanted us to play it, Clive [Davis, Arista Records president] and all. In good old Grateful Dead spirit, we were like, "No, man, we're not gonna be that band that goes out and plays its hit. That's so lame." The most important thing was to be the Grateful Dead.

But this Spring 1990 set is significant in that previous tour boxs, like the complete Europe '72 suitcase, covered older, historical eras. This one shows the Dead in their adult prime – still relevant and charged fairly late in your history.
Hart: The Grateful Dead meant a lot to us. It was everything. And to let it go, to peter out after all we'd been through, was unthinkable. We had a burst of energy around that time, because of the hit. A hit brings a whole bunch of energy, negative and positive. The kids breaking down the stadium doors – they almost killed what they loved the most. They almost put us out of business.

But that created an energy that we transferred into the music. We were energized by that hit – and reacting against it. The hard thing is, as [Ken] Kesey said, to stay within your own movie. We were able to do that on this tour.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Dylan/Grateful Dead -insight into singer/songwriter
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 2, 2012 16:04

18-CD box () limited to 9,000 copies and costing $199.98

OT but sorry Rhino but that's basically asking for this set to be illegally shared on the Net rathe being bought by fans and/or casual buyers... confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-02 16:05 by dcba.

Date: August 2, 2012 16:28

Hey...at least they are offering it.

I don't think many a casual fan will fork over $200.00 for a 16 set cd. The casual fan will buy the "best of" to be released in Sept. Something for everybody.

The Dead have always made their music accesable. They allowed tapers at all their shows, you could stream shows on various websites. They have released fan favorites via Dick's Picks and other releases.

The Stones are coming around a little ..the vaults have opened up a bit.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 2, 2012 20:38

Why are there so many Grateful Dead threads on this Rolling Stones blog? People get crap when they post Beatles threads, and that was a good band. I had someone call me a bitter troll for not celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday. This hurt me, coming from a gentle hippie reeking of patchouli oil and doing something they call dancing.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 2, 2012 20:41

24FPS
Why are there so many Grateful Dead threads on this Rolling Stones blog? People get crap when they post Beatles threads, and that was a good band. I had someone call me a bitter troll for not celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday. This hurt me, coming from a gentle hippie reeking of patchouli oil and doing something they call dancing.

Long live the Dead

Date: August 2, 2012 22:06

I thought it was a great insight into one of the best songwriters ever. Somebody the Stones have admired for years.

Bob Weir comes across as elagant as Keith.

Not to mention the simularites both bands have...members who have died of drug related causes, love of the blues & other forms of music (certainly the Dead have played their share of Stones songs), longevity as a band, health issues of band members, die hard fans, opinions of favorte tours, incarnations of the bands...the list goes on! bottom line is both bands have a genuine love of music.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:37

24FPS

Wrong.

You weren't called a bitter troll for 'not celebrating Jerry's birthday'.
You were called a bitter troll for slamming the Dead and saying that your life would have been better had you never heard his music - IN his birthday thread.
And that it made you 'hate hippies' or whatever the hell it was.

You cast the first stone, which makes you a troll.

If I'm wrong, and you're kind of just having fun (I'm JUST as guilty for that), I apologize.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-02 22:49 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 2, 2012 23:19

If the Stones released a 72/73 tour box with goodies like this Dead release, rather than just the new downloads, IORR would be ecstatic.

I hope Mick and Keith get with the program and give us what most of us want like the Dead do with their fans.

Date: August 2, 2012 23:22

The Dead have been doing it for a lot time, even when they were still touring they were doing 'vault' releases. I still love the first one, the 1975 ballroom show where they debuted Blues for Allah!

Yeah, the Stones are WAY behind with it. Too far behind, and too late.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 2, 2012 23:29

Not too late for the Stones. They are technically still going. Since Stones setlists were basically the same ...not sure there is a need for mulitple shows from the same tour. Then again, just open the vaults & let people pick what they want to hear.

I still think it is crazy that in this day & age ...one does not have the opportunity to purchase a recording of any show they attend. Certainly it is easier to record everthing thing. Instead of offering me $35 T-Shirt....how about a chance to download a copy of the concert?!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 3, 2012 01:36

The downloads are good but pale when compared to an actual cd box set with cool memorabilia, book, etc.. I F-in' dream of a comparable Stones release!

Date: August 3, 2012 03:31

Charlie don't surf...But The Dead Dew!!!!

Date: August 3, 2012 04:37

jamesfdouglas
24FPS

Wrong.

You were called a bitter troll for slamming the Dead and saying that your life would have been better had you never heard his music - IN his birthday thread.

If I'm wrong, and you're kind of just having fun (I'm JUST as guilty for that), I apologize.

I never attacked Jerry, just the music. And my life would have been better. And I'm not kind of just having fun. I hate the Dead's music. The Stones are the top of the ladder and the Dead the bottom. They have nothing substantial in common. Dead from drugs doesn't qualify. Why people feel they have to talk about that god awful group on this blog is a sore point with me. And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger. Like Mormons I've known who have to justify what they've bought. Long live The Rolling Stones.

Date: August 3, 2012 16:23

24FPS...I couldn't disagree with you more. Nothing substantial in common? Oh...maybe just the love of music. More specifically, a lifelong committment to the writing, performing & playing thier own as well as other peoples music. They list of songs both bands have covered is substantial. King Bee, Meet Me in the bottom, red rooster, Not fade away...just off the top of my head.

I won't even discuss the "and their fans are" comment other than to say that a bands fans should should have no bearing of what one thinks of a bands music. Even Bob Weir says he does not like tie dyes. I could make the Stones fans are all old comment ...and if they were (which I don't think they are) ...it would not "sway" my opinion of the Stones, or my enjoyment in listening to them.

Nothing wrong with not liking the Dead. I get the impression the Stones themselves are not big fans of the Dead. I know the Dead admire the Stones & have played more than a few (Satisfaction, Last Time, It's All over now-Not tech. Stones. Garcia covered Let's Spend the Night together, Wild Horses & Moonlight Mile. Phil Lesh has covered Street Fighting Man, Gimme Shelter,Tumbling Dice, Sympathy. I understand this means nothing if you don't enjoy the music.

One thing I always enjoyed about Dead shows was the parking lot scene. There were always guitars players haning out jamming/partying. Lots of fun.

At the very least I would hope you could appreciate the Deads lifelong commitment to music. Their musicianship is unparralled. Again you may not enjoy what is coming out of the speakers, but musically/technically... they know exactly what they are doing. They are a quasi jazz band (listnen to them w/ Branford Marsales They,like the Stones..could have retired years ago-financially speaking. But their love of music (I know the money aint bad for either band) ..but I believe members of both bands would be playing in local bars today if they never made it big. Its what they love to do.

Date: August 3, 2012 19:53

Let's just say they are not my cup of tea and leave it at that. I can marvel at their fanbase even if my ears reject their music.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:57

24FPS
Let's just say they are not my cup of tea and leave it at that.

ah, but you didn't leave it at that. you were unnecessarily cruel and vindictive. may the bird song of paradise fly up your nose.

Date: August 3, 2012 21:13

Pass him the brown acid...

Date: August 3, 2012 21:17

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:30

I was with the Dead on the Big Island in the summer of 1987 through around 1991. I wasn't a fan before that and I understand people who dislike their music somewhat. I didn't particularly.

I was invited to several Dead shows after that and I went to all of them. I became an instant fan. Those guys took musical chances on stage and the result was sometimes incredibly magical. Just the kind of thing the Stone's haven't done for 40 years.

Their approach to music was refreshing and kind of what it seems Keith dreams about the Stone's could do. Just jam and let the magic happen. The difference is that the Dead allows their fans to observe it and it was such a rush it created a HUGE worldwide community of freaks and fans.

The freak part is what some people take issue with. Jerry and especially Bobby, weren't at all like their fans and probably more like combination of Keith and Ronnie. They were male chauvenistic Rock Stars to the bone. I was somewhat shocked at the real attitude those guys had about the general nature of their audience. I could quote the guys extensively because I was listening but it would not do their legacy any justice and it reality deserves to be recognized with as much honor as possible.

On topic, I loved the quote about what Dylan taught them. It is valuable insight for singer/songwriters for sure. The Dead were the best backup band Dylan ever had, imho, better than the band. I saw two shows that tour and was blown away by how great it sounded. The sound was just amazing. Dylan was obviously inspired and happy with them both those nights. peace

Date: August 3, 2012 21:32

Naturalust
On topic, I loved the quote about what Dylan taught them. It is valuable insight for singer/songwriters for sure. The Dead were the best backup band Dylan ever had, imho, better than the band. I saw two shows that tour and was blown away by how great it sounded. The sound was just amazing. Dylan was obviously inspired and happy with them both those nights. peace

really? as a huge fan of both, i thought those six shows they did together were about the worst bob and the worst dead i've ever heard. i think they'd tell you that, too...in fact phil did tell me that....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:54

StonesTod
Naturalust

really? as a huge fan of both, i thought those six shows they did together were about the worst bob and the worst dead i've ever heard. i think they'd tell you that, too...in fact phil did tell me that....

The shows I was at were pretty highly regarded by the players afterward as I remember. Huge smiles and big talk after the show. Not sure about Phil since he was always in another world to me anyway. Maybe the best musician on stage but for instance he was the only one not to turn up in Hawaii in the summer of '87 for the first 4 weeks of getting certified to scuba dive.

I all fairness what the band was hearing on stage was a monitor mix and might have been completely different from what the audience heard. I was close enough to the stage to be picking up a bit of both mixes. Maybe I was in the sweet spot. confused smiley peace

Date: August 3, 2012 22:28

but you think dylan was on his game? that 86-87 period for him was very weak...although it improved slightly on the second petty run in europe...but he didn't regain his mojo in earnest til the net started in '88....

Date: August 3, 2012 22:58

StonesTod
24FPS

ah, but you didn't leave it at that. you were unnecessarily cruel and vindictive. may the bird song of paradise fly up your nose.

Some people feel it's their job to police the Off-Topic threads here I guess. Whatever.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 3, 2012 23:10

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
24FPS

Some people feel it's their job to police the Off-Topic threads here I guess. Whatever.

i know. you'd think by now they'd realize that it's my job and my job alone.

Date: August 3, 2012 23:23

I absolutly love the Dylan/Dead reheasal tapes from Club Front Studio. Somewhat loose jamming on a variety of Dylan tunes from to "Times they are a changing" to "Joey". Not to mention the Johnny Cash cover of Folsom Prison to Simon's "Boy in the Bubble". Even the Stones "I'm Free". Great versions of Queen Jane & Memphis Blues Again.

What time is said to the judge to Joey when they met?

Joey said "five to ten"

Judge says "that's exactly what you get"

One of my all time fav lyrics.

Was bowled over when I heard them play this at Foxboro July 4. Didn't think Dylan would ever play it. I think Jerry got him to do it.

Date: August 3, 2012 23:31

jacques levy prolly wrote that line...but i always liked it and the song...he opened (well, after a strange instrumental) the berkeley '89 show with it too. it's one of those hate to love it songs...cos it's really not very good, imo....

Date: August 4, 2012 00:27

How did you find the Jacques wrote that? interesting?

Love the way the song tells the story.

I always say the lyrics to that song read like book/really tells the story.

Date: August 4, 2012 00:52

it's actually pretty lightweight songwriting...levy presumably wrote most of the lyrics for the album...not sure i've ever seen a breakdown of who wrote what, tho....

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 8, 2012 07:01

24FPS
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

Wrong.

I never attacked Jerry, just the music. And my life would have been better. And I'm not kind of just having fun. I hate the Dead's music. The Stones are the top of the ladder and the Dead the bottom. They have nothing substantial in common. Dead from drugs doesn't qualify. Why people feel they have to talk about that god awful group on this blog is a sore point with me. And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger. Like Mormons I've known who have to justify what they've bought. Long live The Rolling Stones.

And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger.

How the hell do you know that?? When you are as biased on a subject as you obviously are....your opinion holds no weight. IMHO!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 07:04 by No Expectations.

Date: August 8, 2012 09:25

No Expectations
24FPS
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

Wrong.

And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger.

How the hell do you know that?? When you are as biased on a subject as you obviously are....your opinion holds no weight. IMHO!

Such anger from a...................................spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home