Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Happy 70th jerry Garcia !!!
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 2, 2012 00:47

ole Jer would have been 70 today

RIP

Re: OT: Happy 70th jerry Garcia !!!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 2, 2012 00:55

My father would have reached 102 this year confused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 2, 2012 01:21

If Jerry Garcia had never existed as a public musician, my life would have actually been improved. Nothing personal against him as a human being, but my ears hate the music he is responsible for spawning. He made me hate hippies.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 2, 2012 01:54

blah, blah, blah, haters can suck it.
HAPPY (would have been) 70th JERRY!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 2, 2012 03:05

New Rhino handmade box set Sring 1990 tour. 6 complete shows

[www.dead.net]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 2, 2012 04:43

As a guitarist, he played like he had only nine fingers.

Date: August 2, 2012 04:55

jamesfdouglas

"I wish I was like you,
easily amused...."

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 05:33

Happy Birthday Jerry!!! One of the greatest musicians of all time

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 2, 2012 06:04

Happy Birthday Jerry.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 2, 2012 06:24

Never been a big fan, but I will give him this: He loved bluegrass.
And he turned a lot of dumb hippies (what else can you call them) on to that genre of music, so for that he must be given kudos.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 2, 2012 06:43

24FPS
If Jerry Garcia had never existed as a public musician, my life would have actually been improved. Nothing personal against him as a human being, but my ears hate the music he is responsible for spawning. He made me hate hippies.

When Jerry died, I saw a clip of Joey Ramone expressing admiration for this tune:

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 2, 2012 07:52

Happy birthday, Jerry. It was a sad day when he died. Great guitarist.

Posted by: Ruthie ()
Date: August 2, 2012 11:03

jamesfdouglas

seventy years old? wow.

thank you for this. this time of year i always miss jerry. either his birthdate or date of passing are close... and so is his music... *s*

Date: August 2, 2012 18:35

24FPS
jamesfdouglas

"I wish I was like you,
easily amused...."

I don't wish I was like you, a bitter troll.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 2, 2012 20:24

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
jamesfdouglas

"I wish I was like you,
easily amused...."

I don't wish I was like you, a bitter troll.

Ah, scratch a hippie deadhead and out comes the puss of repressed anger if you don't like their band. This is a blog dedicated to the greatest rock and roll band of all time, The Rolling Stones, not the worst group of all time.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 3, 2012 03:05

Phil Lesh 08/01/2012

"Well, good evening to you all. Welcome to a very special evening. It's always wonderful when people and the community come together to make music and elevate themselves in whatever way they can, and that's partly why we're here tonight, but also we're here to honor, really, the memory of a dear friend, a brother, a wonderful human being, and so in that light, I wrote a little something, and I'm gonna share it with you."

"Jerry, he would've been 70 years old today. And even now, after 17 years, I half-expect every time I come in here or walk on a stage, I half-expect to see him walk up and say in that silvery elf voice of his, "hey man, what's going on." His presence is sometimes really palpable, and sometimes it's not, but he has found ways to act on this plane a couple of times since his transition.

And one time, we were playing along, and we had Ryan Adams with us, and he was playing Jerry's guitar Wolf for a charity thing, and we were playing along, and all of a sudden everything went off, except Wolf. And then there was tonight. I was trying to print this thing out, and put it on my little teleprompter thingy, as soon as we hit print, as soon as we tried to put it in there, it died.

And you know, Jerry would've been maybe a little embarrassed by this, as a lot of us could be, you know, by all the hoopla, but he was a guy with a rare Protean mind, and he had a heart as big as, I dunno, infinity. I recently encountered a visionary person who told me you must choose the path of love in everything you do, and I thought that Jerry wouldn't have had to choose that path, because it chose him, from the get-go. And every since I first met him, I never knew him to act towards anyone with anything but the kindest… [cut] If didn't want you to poke him or something, he would let you know. But it was always with love, and somehow that comes through every relationship, or every moment that I had with him.

When Jerry invited me to join the band, it was the best thing that ever happened to me -- up to that point. Not just because I had always wanted to play music with him. But I was a trumpet player, and trumpet and acoustic guitar didn't really go well together. And I didn't think we wanted to bring mariachi into it. You know, I knew Jerry for 35 years, 5 or 6 years before the band started. And he created not just a body of work, or an astronomical number of moments of grace with the music, but a kind of invisible landscape of harmony and spiritual love, which shines through still, and we now can access that, or live in that realm, when we get together and play this music, if we're lucky. So I think that's great.

So I still miss him terribly, his life [?] of heart, and his vast range of interests; his wicked sense of humor. But at the same time, every time we kick into one of his tunes, I feel like what I just said, that we are entering that landscape, that realm of harmony and love that he brought with him, and he left it here with us, and I think he'd be very pleased, even if he might not admit it, to see how this community has taken that message, or that experience of love and harmony, and brought it out into the world.

I think it's wonderful what you have done with this. And he also wasn't the type of guy to make much of himself, like I said he'd probably be embarrassed, or worse, at this whole thing. I do think he would've been proud of, as I said, the way this community has taken his vision, if you will, which I have to say, the vision came from the community as well as from Jerry, as always with what we do it's a collaborative effort. Because without the Haight-Ashbury experience, I don't think any of this would ever--the music would've pointed in another direction, without that community. And so we ended up playing for the community.

But I do think he would've been particularly tickled to see young musicians like Ross, Grahame, and Brian and other ones playing this music so easily and taking it further as well. And he would also have been really pleased to see the multigenerational audience that has arisen. So I guess that's mostly what I have to say right now, except for Happy Birthday Jerry."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 03:07 by jabhead.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 3, 2012 03:28

24FPS
If Jerry Garcia had never existed as a public musician, my life would have actually been improved.

You must live in some bizzaro universe. I know many people who would say quite the opposite.

RIP brother

Date: August 3, 2012 03:29

NICOS
My father would have reached 102 this year confused smiley

And happy 102, father of NICOS.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 3, 2012 03:39

Sure wish Keith could play Chuck Berry this well. . ..

Date: August 3, 2012 04:15

MILKYWAY
24FPS
If Jerry Garcia had never existed as a public musician, my life would have actually been improved.

You must live in some bizzaro universe. I know many people who would say quite the opposite.

RIP brother

And I know just as many who consider Deadland the bizzaro universe. Where music that hurts most people's eardrum with curdled vocals and badly played covers are magically transformed into other people's ears as actual music. It's a funny world.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 3, 2012 05:57

24FPS
MILKYWAY
24FPS

RIP brother

And I know just as many who consider Deadland the bizzaro universe. Where music that hurts most people's eardrum with curdled vocals and badly played covers are magically transformed into other people's ears as actual music. It's a funny world.
So I guess their is no chance that you could actually mind your own business and shut the @#$%& up?

Date: August 3, 2012 09:56

sweetcharmedlife
24FPS
MILKYWAY
24FPS

RIP brother

So I guess their is no chance that you could actually mind your own business and shut the @#$%& up?

Am I the own that posted on a Rolling Stones blog about the pitiful Grateful Dead? Did I post a video of the Grateful Dead desecrating a Chuck Berry song and then challenging Keith Richards to play it as well? You're in the wrong ballpark. This is Rolling Stones country. And I don't shut up because some blogger told me to. Now I'm going to have a Chik-Fil-A sandwich, not because I don't believe in gay marriage, I just like waffle fries. Uncle John's Band can kiss my rock and roll ass.

Date: August 3, 2012 10:12

we miss you jerry, god bless

Date: August 3, 2012 23:03

24FPS
sweetcharmedlife
24FPS
MILKYWAY
24FPS

RIP brother

Am I the own that posted on a Rolling Stones blog about the pitiful Grateful Dead? Did I post a video of the Grateful Dead desecrating a Chuck Berry song and then challenging Keith Richards to play it as well? You're in the wrong ballpark. This is Rolling Stones country. And I don't shut up because some blogger told me to. Now I'm going to have a Chik-Fil-A sandwich, not because I don't believe in gay marriage, I just like waffle fries. Uncle John's Band can kiss my rock and roll ass.

No, you don't sound like an angry, repressesd over-compinsating closet homosexual at all.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 4, 2012 00:19

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
sweetcharmedlife
24FPS
MILKYWAY
24FPS

RIP brother

No, you don't sound like an angry, repressesd over-compinsating closet homosexual at all.

LOL!

BV allows Off Topic posts hence the OT designation which alerts one that it is non-Stones content.

Date: August 4, 2012 02:55

i say now dont be silly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-05 00:03 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 4, 2012 05:33

something tells me that jerry wont be opening his birthday card this year.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 4, 2012 21:38

24FPS do you like posting on threads your not interested in just to piss people off. If you don't like Jerry than why read a thread about him. Ya weirdo.

Regarding Jerry, I first got into the Dead which led me to Jerry's solo music which I love. Sometimes I think the Dead held back his talents somewhat. His folk and blue grass stuff is great. The Stones talk about playing on stage until they die but Jerry really did it. The Stones stopped playing years ago. Jerry played live for his love of performing, When the Dead weren't touring, Jerry was still doing shows.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 5, 2012 00:33

i think jerry and jimi were the most musically-active guitarists of the rock gen. rarely a night when they weren't either playing in public or recording in private.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 5, 2012 00:49

joined by Pete Townshend at Essen,Germany 1981

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home