Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Chuck Leavell - "Fingers Of Gold" Says Keith
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:40

Stoneage
Looks like we are giving Chuck the blame for the fact that Keith and Ronnie don't deliver anymore. It's like the coach who constantly blames the ref for his team losing again. It's easier...
In fact the only two that have delivered at a constant level in the Stones are Charlie and Bill. And Charlie is the only one left. Mick has also delivered but his voice has let him down...

Rotten ref.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:44

StonesTod
CousinC
We like the other players better cause it was another band.

and to your point, i don't recall folks bashing chuck's playing on the '82 european tour

Ah, then I need to refresh your memory. Years ago I posted a comparison between Imagination from Hampton '81 and Imagination from Napoli '82. In short, it basically showed how Leavell's playing just is totally un-R&R, dragging the track down with with numb plinky plink piano, whearas Ian MacLagan really added groove and spice to the track on the Wurlitzer, really duetting with Wood, Richards and Ernie Watts.

Mathijs

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:51

Mathijs
StonesTod
CousinC

and to your point, i don't recall folks bashing chuck's playing on the '82 european tour

Ah, then I need to refresh your memory. Years ago I posted a comparison between Imagination from Hampton '81 and Imagination from Napoli '82. In short, it basically showed how Leavell's playing just is totally un-R&R, dragging the track down with with numb plinky plink piano, whearas Ian MacLagan really added groove and spice to the track on the Wurlitzer, really duetting with Wood, Richards and Ernie Watts.

Mathijs

i was talking about real folks...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:52

Why didn't they keep Ernie Watts in the band. He did not only play his parts perfectly, he also covered for constant bum notes from the dynamic duo.
It's Ernie that makes Hampton so good. If it was his baldness that worried them they could have given him a wig too.

Date: August 8, 2012 16:57

treaclefingers
StonesTod
CousinC

he was bloody good on that one he was.

he knows. and he only got bloody awful when the band took a turn for the worse. just trying to keep up (or down) with things....that ain't a crime, is it?

Date: August 8, 2012 16:57

Charlie was more balding

Date: August 8, 2012 16:58

Stoneage
Why didn't they keep Ernie Watts in the band. He did not only play his parts perfectly, he also covered for constant bum notes from the dynamic duo.
It's Ernie that makes Hampton so good. If it was his baldness that worried them they could have given him a wig too.

ernie hated his time with the band. in fact, he doesn't even mention it on his online bio....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2012 17:07

StonesTod
Stoneage

ernie hated his time with the band. in fact, he doesn't even mention it on his online bio....

I wouldn't be surprised if they mocked him because he was, more or less, bald. Or maybe the great leader keith was pissed because Ernie dared to steal some limelight from him?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()

Mathijs
StonesTod
CousinC

Mathijs

what is "totally un-R&R" ?
never thought of Imagination as a R&R song...and duetting with Earnie Watts was simply imposible as he wasn´t playing with them on the ´82 tour...

Stoneage
StonesTod
Stoneage

I wouldn't be surprised if they mocked him because he was, more or less, bald. Or maybe the great leader keith was pissed because Ernie dared to steal some limelight from him?

don't think so...more just hated the whole stones-on-the-road lifestyle...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2012 17:09

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
CousinC

he knows. and he only got bloody awful when the band took a turn for the worse. just trying to keep up (or down) with things....that ain't a crime, is it?

I ain't no capital crime at least.

Date: August 8, 2012 17:24

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
CousinC

It ain't no capital crime at least.

barely a misdemeanor or mistreater....

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 8, 2012 17:27

I think there's too much negativity here, the real problem with the stones is Keith, without Chucks playing the stones would probably sound awful live.

This dry soundboard recording shows pretty well what Chuck adds to the Stones sound.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 17:33 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2012 17:36

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
CousinC

It ain't no capital crime at least.

barely a misdemeanor or mistreater....

Thanks for the spellcheck BTW.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 8, 2012 17:43

TheBlockbuster
I think there's too much negativity here, the real problem with the stones is Keith, without Chucks playing the stones would probably sound awful live.

This dry soundboard recording shows pretty well what Chuck adds to the Stones sound.

Not impressed by the piano at all.

Date: August 8, 2012 18:00

TheBlockbuster

He's honky tonkin' up Angie, that's what he does grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 8, 2012 18:03

Stoneage

Who else in the band did they give a wig to?

Date: August 8, 2012 18:06

gimme back my wig and honey let your head go bald...or something...says hound dog taylor...he was cool....

Date: August 8, 2012 18:07

Stoneage

Really? What about UMT, LSTNT, Whip, Shattered, Twenty Flight Rock, She's So Cold and Satisfaction? winking smiley

Date: August 8, 2012 18:32

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Really? What about UMT, LSTNT, Whip, Shattered, Twenty Flight Rock, She's So Cold and Satisfaction? winking smiley

Not to mention the world's best version of JJF.
and wasn't it Ernie overplaying the tambourine on YCAGWYW?

Date: August 8, 2012 18:35

i will tolerate only so much chuck-bashing...but let there be no doubt: I will NOT TOLERATE ANY ernie-bashing. You guys got that straight? ok....

Date: August 8, 2012 18:45

What about haggis bashing, can we still do that? Ernie wouldn't care...

Date: August 8, 2012 19:00

Munichhilton
What about haggis bashing, can we still do that? Ernie wouldn't care...

i guess that's ok, but there's nothing wrong with haggis...it's by far the best stuff i've ever seen hanging in a sheep's stomach at a glasgow butcher shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 19:00 by StonesTod.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 8, 2012 19:18

Mathijs
StonesTod
CousinC

Mathijs

Mathijs, the thing I do not understand is why Mick and Keith would put up with a player who is dragging tracks down? Surly they heard (and are still hearing) the same thing you heard (and is still hearing). Some other people here say the same thing, so it's got to be quite noticeable. What is your opinion why the Stones would put up with him for so long?

Date: August 9, 2012 01:09

TheBlockbuster

That guitar "playing" sounds as if who is "playing" the guitar doesn't understand what 'timing' is anymore or, just as with Buddy Guy on that horrible version of Champagne And Reefer, he can't hear shit for his own timing and sounds like shit no matter what timing wise. That's not negativity, that's observation.

Awful horrendously bad version of Angie to boot.

Date: August 9, 2012 01:11

2000 LYFH
Mathijs
StonesTod
CousinC

Mathijs

Mathijs, the thing I do not understand is why Mick and Keith would put up with a player who is dragging tracks down? Surly they heard (and are still hearing) the same thing you heard (and is still hearing). Some other people here say the same thing, so it's got to be quite noticeable. What is your opinion why the Stones would put up with him for so long?

It's the sound of $$$$$ing in their ears that blocks out reality.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: August 9, 2012 01:53

Stoneage

a really nice wig..like the kind Jagger wears.....OOOPS!!!...nuts..now the secret is out!!....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 9, 2012 10:06

2000 LYFH
Mathijs
StonesTod
CousinC

Mathijs

It more had to do with the Jagger/Richards rivalry. In '81 there was a large Richards camp, with Wood, Ian MacLagan, Bobby Keys and Freddie Sessler, partying all night and on stage. There's quite some reports from within the Stones that Jagger wanted to take more control both off and on stage. The story is that Jagger did not want Ian MacLagan and Bobby Keys for the '82 tour due to their drink and drugs habit, and that an agreement of sorts was made -you get to take Bobby Keys, I get Chuck Leavell. And in the end, I guess it i mainly Jagger whom really likes Chuck's playing style, judging on the type of musicians Jagger has used for his solo carreer.

Mathijs

Date: August 9, 2012 10:22

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
TheBlockbuster

That guitar "playing" sounds as if who is "playing" the guitar doesn't understand what 'timing' is anymore or, just as with Buddy Guy on that horrible version of Champagne And Reefer, he can't hear shit for his own timing and sounds like shit no matter what timing wise. That's not negativity, that's observation.

Awful horrendously bad version of Angie to boot.

I have to second that. Keith is way out there on this one.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 9, 2012 10:59

Mathijs
And in the end, I guess it i mainly Jagger whom really likes Chuck's playing style, judging on the type of musicians Jagger has used for his solo carreer.

Mathijs

I guess Leavell is modern, voice-coached Jagger's trusted man - he is there to provide the hints for right notes for Jagger to follow, keeping the songs in a right track (I think "Angie" above is a good example of that). I think this reminds us of Jagger's remerk of Taylor once being the "melodic" guitar player which made his singing easier. I suppose Keith and Ronnie are rather hopeless guitarists in that sense to guide and help the singer in his melodies (and whatever weaknesses there is in modern - post '89 - Jagger's singing, he at least stays in tune rather well.)

The Leavell-Jagger axis is extremily clear in them playing more obscure tunes, old rarities, etc.- it is seemingly Chuck who actually knows and plays the tunes and Jagger síngs for him (or within the context provided by him). This also is the source for karaoke-like performances - teh Stones making replicas of their old songs, which is typical to whole Vagas-era.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home