Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gimme Shelter tops BBC listener poll
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:05

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
The dangerous atmosphere on the studio version makes it greater than all the live versions combined. Simply amazing and unsurpassable, imo. Some of the most effective guitar playing ever.

To me it has something artificial, and something of a parody as well, especially when the female singer comes in. It's like a play, not real. When they perform it on stage, we simply know it's not real. It has also some sort of message in it which actually is very strange.

it's strange to want shelter? would you rather they ask for food or clothing?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:56

StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
The dangerous atmosphere on the studio version makes it greater than all the live versions combined. Simply amazing and unsurpassable, imo. Some of the most effective guitar playing ever.

To me it has something artificial, and something of a parody as well, especially when the female singer comes in. It's like a play, not real. When they perform it on stage, we simply know it's not real. It has also some sort of message in it which actually is very strange.

It's rather strange to say: a storm, fire (whatever) is threatening me and later on to an imaginary public (as some sort side comment): War, children, it's just a shot away. Do you feel what I mean?

Date: July 30, 2012 18:11

kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

It's rather strange to say: a storm, fire (whatever) is threatening me and later on to an imaginary public (as some sort side comment): War, children, it's just a shot away. Do you feel what I mean?

i am devoid of all feeling

Date: July 30, 2012 18:21

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I know that of course, that's why I didn't ask Do you understand what I mean?

Date: July 30, 2012 18:27

kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

i am also devoid of all understanding

Date: July 30, 2012 18:31

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I'm too polite to say that myself. But you know two essential things about yourself, more than most people can say.

Date: July 30, 2012 18:34

kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I'm too polite to say that myself. But you know two essential things about yourself, more than most people can say.

well most people say i'm an enigma wrapped in a riddle, but i don't understand what that means...

Date: July 30, 2012 18:42

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

well most people say i'm an enigma wrapped in a riddle, but i don't understand what that means...

Neither do I. I would assume it's something good.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 30, 2012 21:32

VT22
I never heard the Stones try to re-create their studio sound on stage, that was never their goal. You don't need a higher intellect to notice that. Go ask the birds.

This thread was about a BBC listeners poll, which version do you think they are referring to when they vote it #1? Some bootleg 72 show which is burned into their mind or the magical first impression of that original studio recording after they listened for 50 more times. Besides people with as much obvious Stones and musical knowledge of yourself and Americans obvious knows the Stones play live in the studio, so what's the difference besides a million overdubs.

Of course they try to recreate their studio song,especially if it was a successful labor of love. Probably have to relearn them by listening to them before they play it live. Besides Mick Jagger I wouldn't exactly call the Stones "experimental" in the studio. If it gets too complicated to play live they are overtly aware of what it takes to recreate it live, 2000 Light Years from Home, for example. They only attempted that when the technology caught up to allow them to try to RECREATE the studio version. The latter day Stones are banking off the live versions capturing most of the elements of their more time consuming and creatively free studio moments, imho.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear them do reggae version of Start Me Up. Bobby Keys says he plays the a similar Brown Sugar solo every show because he say's that he got it right the first time. Basically they are too profession and too branded to risk much new creation on stage. Besides the two songwriters don't even talk to each other before shows, probably don't trust each other for such endeavors. They know what they are going to play, the song on the record. Probably why Mick Taylor, Charlie , Bill et al need other musical challenges to thrive as musicians. Keith probably forgets and has to relearn for each tour so those challenges are enough to satisfy his musicality. lol peace

Date: July 30, 2012 21:45

Naturalust
VT22
I never heard the Stones try to re-create their studio sound on stage, that was never their goal. You don't need a higher intellect to notice that. Go ask the birds.

This thread was about a BBC listeners poll, which version do you think they are referring to when they vote it #1? Some bootleg 72 show which is burned into their mind or the magical first impression of that original studio recording after they listened for 50 more times. Besides people with as much obvious Stones and musical knowledge of yourself and Americans obvious knows the Stones play live in the studio, so what's the difference besides a million overdubs.

Of course they try to recreate their studio song,especially if it was a successful labor of love. Probably have to relearn them by listening to them before they play it live. Besides Mick Jagger I wouldn't exactly call the Stones "experimental" in the studio. If it gets too complicated to play live they are overtly aware of what it takes to recreate it live, 2000 Light Years from Home, for example. They only attempted that when the technology caught up to allow them to try to RECREATE the studio version. The latter day Stones are banking off the live versions capturing most of the elements of their more time consuming and creatively free studio moments, imho.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear them do reggae version of Start Me Up. Bobby Keys says he plays the a similar Brown Sugar solo every show because he say's that he got it right the first time. Basically they are too profession and too branded to risk much new creation on stage. Besides the two songwriters don't even talk to each other before shows, probably don't trust each other for such endeavors. They know what they are going to play, the song on the record. Probably why Mick Taylor, Charlie , Bill et al need other musical challenges to thrive as musicians. Keith probably forgets and has to relearn for each tour so those challenges are enough to satisfy his musicality. lol peace

Of course VT22 was referring to the pre Ronnie Wood version of the band.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 30, 2012 22:04

kleermaker
Naturalust
VT22

I'll have to take your word for it, my first show was after Some Girls had come out. I thought Ronnie was the perfect replacement musically because he was stretching and learning his parts on stage, some of them a bit different than the studio versions for whatever reason. They were good enough and similar to Taylor's guitar parts but different enough to be interesting. peace

Date: July 30, 2012 23:18

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
VT22

I'll have to take your word for it, my first show was after Some Girls had come out. I thought Ronnie was the perfect replacement musically because he was stretching and learning his parts on stage, some of them a bit different than the studio versions for whatever reason. They were good enough and similar to Taylor's guitar parts but different enough to be interesting. peace

Wood's parts on GS weren't similar to Taylor's guitar parts at all, but at best failed attempts to copy them. I Heard them in 73 and 76. Totally different bands and different versions of GS. To compare Wood in the Stones to Taylor...
Ronnie was absolutely not the "perfect replacement musically". One has to listen to B&B only and no further words are needed.

Date: July 31, 2012 06:52

kleermaker
StonesTod

Neither do I. I would assume it's something good.

I think what StonesTod is saying, without saying it, is, aside from War, my children, is really just a shot away, that he's secretly a waffle.

Or a pancake.

Or a crepe.

Or. Something.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2012 07:33

...ya doctor meant switch ta maize not maze

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2012 13:51

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
VT22

Wood's parts on GS weren't similar to Taylor's guitar parts at all, but at best failed attempts to copy them. I Heard them in 73 and 76. Totally different bands and different versions of GS. To compare Wood in the Stones to Taylor...
Ronnie was absolutely not the "perfect replacement musically". One has to listen to B&B only and no further words are needed.

You forgot to say "in my opinion"...

In fairness, Ronnie only plays on two songs on Black And Blue (Those are both stellar, imo).

Date: July 31, 2012 17:14

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

When they do it on stage it's actually happening. It's literally happening, the real part of it. It's not fake. It's not reality TV. It's not a game show. It's a concert, instruments actually played and singers actually singing.

How are you able to confuse that with being fake?

Date: July 31, 2012 17:32

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

When they do it on stage it's actually happening. It's literally happening, the real part of it. It's not fake. It's not reality TV. It's not a game show. It's a concert, instruments actually played and singers actually singing.

I think you misunderstood what I said by those words "When they perform it on stage, we simply know it's not real." Compare it to a theatre play and maybe you'll understand what I mean: when we watch a play we know it's not the reality. But it's more 'real' than when we're watching TV. Listening to the studio Shelter is watching TV, listening to a live version of Shelter (Taylor included) is watching an excellent play. I know the analogy is a bit weak, but maybe you understand now what I mean.

Date: July 31, 2012 18:48

kleermaker
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I think you misunderstood what I said by those words "When they perform it on stage, we simply know it's not real." Compare it to a theatre play and maybe you'll understand what I mean: when we watch a play we know it's not the reality. But it's more 'real' than when we're watching TV. Listening to the studio Shelter is watching TV, listening to a live version of Shelter (Taylor included) is watching an excellent play. I know the analogy is a bit weak, but maybe you understand now what I mean.

Oh.

OK.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 31, 2012 21:15

It's actually a pretty good list.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 2, 2012 15:35

Gimme Shelter tops BBC listener poll, and now it's being used as a 2 minute soundtrack to advertise the BBC's 'top' TV show, Eastenders. confused smiley
For the uninitiated, a dumb soap opera set in East London hallmarked by a cast of aggressive know-it-alls being horrible to each other.............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-02 15:36 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 3, 2012 16:30

DandelionPowderman

and i hope you also like the 1969 live version...especially from Altamont which captures the studio track to perfection minus the woman screaming ??
it's as "dangerous" as it gets !

Date: August 3, 2012 16:51

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

and i hope you also like the 1969 live version...especially from Altamont which captures the studio track to perfection minus the woman screaming ??
it's as "dangerous" as it gets !

I certainly do! They probably captured as much of the magic as possible at the time. Still, some of the hypnotic rhythm guitar, which I dearly love on the studio take, gets lost along the way there, imo.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 3, 2012 16:57

true...nothing captures the studio..which is impossible..but Altamont is the most haunting live version.
i actually think Jagger is the man on this song...Keith's guitar is great (although very sloppy but effective), but the voice of Jagger & Clayton make this song great.
And live on 1969 it's all Jagger.

Date: August 3, 2012 17:05

Eleanor Rigby
true...nothing captures the studio..which is impossible..but Altamont is the most haunting live version.
i actually think Jagger is the man on this song...Keith's guitar is great (although very sloppy but effective), but the voice of Jagger & Clayton make this song great.
And live on 1969 it's all Jagger.

Funny smiling smiley For me, Keith owns the studio version, but as soon as this song was taken on the road it became Mick's all the way.

However, when specifically listening to Jagger on the studio version, there is no doubt he is singing his heart out!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: August 5, 2012 01:46

Eleanor Rigby
true...nothing captures the studio..which is impossible..but Altamont is the most haunting.
Maybe I'm easy but the version I heard on the bridges tour in Charlotte was amazing, thanks mostly to mick. They gave me the feeling that the stage would go up in flames at any moment. They were hot!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home