Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
R.I.P. Gore Vidal
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 1, 2012 07:10

just announced - via LA Times -
Gore Vidal, the iconoclastic writer, savvy analyst and imperious gadfly on the national conscience, has died. He was 86.

Vidal died Tuesday at his home in the Hollywood Hills of complications of pneumonia, said nephew Burr Steers.

Vidal was a literary juggernaut who wrote 25 novels, including historical works such as “Lincoln” and “Burr” and satires such as “Myra Breckinridge” and “Duluth.” He was also a prolific essayist whose pieces on politics, sexuality, religion and literature -- once described as “elegantly sustained demolition derbies” -- both delighted and inflamed and in 1993 earned him a National Book Award for his massive “United States Essays, 1952-1992.”

Threaded throughout his pieces are anecdotes about his famous friends and foes, who included Anais Nin, Tennessee Williams, Christopher Isherwood, Orson Welles, Truman Capote, Frank Sinatra, Jack Kerouac, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Eleanor Roosevelt and a variety of Kennedys. He counted Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Al Gore among his relatives.

He also wrote Broadway hits, screenplays, television dramas and a trio of mysteries under a pseudonym that remain in print after 50 years.

When he wasn’t writing, he was popping up in movies, playing himself in “Fellini’s Roma,” a sinister plotter in sci-fi thriller “Gattaca” and a U.S. senator in “Bob Roberts.” In other spare moments, he made two entertaining but unsuccessful forays into politics, running for the Senate from California and Congress in New York, and established himself as a master of talk-show punditry who demolished intellectual rivals like Norman Mailer and William F. Buckley with acidic one-liners.

“Style,” Vidal once said, “is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.” By that definition, he was an emperor of style, sophisticated and cantankerous in his prophesies of America’s fate and refusal to let others define him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 07:13 by hbwriter.

Re: R.I.P. Gore Vidal
Date: August 1, 2012 07:11

And a Jagger picture to make the connection here
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 08:16 by hbwriter.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 1, 2012 07:41

"Burr Steers"? Really? Sounds like a character in a Gore Vidal novel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2012 08:08

RIP Gore ...

At one time there was a rumour that Mick Jagger was to make a film adaption of Vidal's Kalki....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 1, 2012 08:13

It's such a loss because his completely unique perspective on the erosion of the constitution and mechinations of washington power structures is irreplaceable. There is no other Gore Vidal. At least Chomsky is still with us.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 1, 2012 09:31

I love Gore Vidal's novels and am glad he made it to the age of 86. Read 'Myra Breckinridge' and especially the sequel, 'Myron', for comedy. Rest in Peace, Gore.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 1, 2012 09:33

I don't wish him dead, but anyone who was a defender of Timothy McVeigh—as Vidal was—is pathetic.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2012 10:03

As an illustration of the Rainbow Coalition you tend to know here in L.A., I was at the bar at Musso & Frank in Hollywood, celebrating my birthday a few years back with a small group of friends. For those of you who don't know Musso & Frank is the oldest restaurant in Hollywood, built 1919. The bar is famous for literary figures like Fitzgerald and Hemingway drinking there.

This particular night, like a dream, Gore Vidal walks in through the back entrance. A literary giant, alive, in my midst. I turned to my friends and told them excitedly, "That's Gore Vidal." I got some blank looks until I looked at my entourage and realized it consisted of two Indians, a Lithuanian, an Iranian, a Korean, and a Puerto Rican. Sigh. RIP Mr. Vidal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 18:53 by 24FPS.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2012 10:53

"I got some blank looks until I looked at my entourage and realized it consisted of two Indians, a Lithuanian, an Iranian, a Korean, and a Puerto Rican. Sigh"

Believe me it could have worked too with "two Texans, one guy from South Caroline, one from Nebraska, one from Maine, and a New-Yorker. Sigh"

The latest I read from Vidal was his intro to the deliciously naughty book from Scotty Bowers...

Farewell you'll be missed Mr Vidal! Who's next? Tom Wolfe? confused smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 1, 2012 13:09

I read Lincoln and thought it was brilliant.

I must read Julian.

RIP.

Date: August 1, 2012 16:01

Title5Take1
I don't wish him dead, but anyone who was a defender of Timothy McVeigh—as Vidal was—is pathetic.

I read that essay, and he wasn't in favor of what McVeigh did (he endorsed Gretta Van Susteran's observation of "two wrongs don't make a right" ), he simply portrayed him has someone who wasn't necessarily a "monster" and who was motivated by what he was motivated by. We're quick to assign the "monster" label without making efforts to actually understand why people do what they do. That being said, I'm glad the bastard got the death penalty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 16:01 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 1, 2012 16:41

He had a fantastic accent....almost Patrick Stewart like

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 1, 2012 17:03

Send It To me
Title5Take1

I read that essay, and he wasn't in favor of what McVeigh did (he endorsed Gretta Van Susteran's observation of "two wrongs don't make a right" ), he simply portrayed him has someone who wasn't necessarily a "monster" and who was motivated by what he was motivated by. We're quick to assign the "monster" label without making efforts to actually understand why people do what they do. That being said, I'm glad the bastard got the death penalty.

Yes, similar to Mailer's take on Oswald. Not an apology, but a look into a 'monster's' humanity.
Vidal was one of the last great intellectuals.

Date: August 1, 2012 17:05

stupidguy2
Send It To me
Title5Take1

Yes, similar to Mailer's take on Oswald. Not an apology, but a look into a 'monster's' humanity.

At least, unlike Mailer, he didn't get a murderer out of jail so that he could kill again

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: August 1, 2012 17:17

This is probably the one interesting thing Gore Vidal has said in the last 50 years. Not that he was right, but that it was at least interesting.

Date: August 1, 2012 17:51

stupidguy2
Send It To me
Title5Take1

Yeah, except Oswald didn't actually kill anyone. cool smiley

Date: August 1, 2012 18:00

Send It To me

Certainly not JFK with that rifle anyway.

Date: August 1, 2012 18:49

Vidal celebrated the killing of American soldiers by the Viet Cong Communists.

Date: August 1, 2012 18:54

mitchflorida1
Vidal celebrated the killing of American soldiers by the Viet Cong Communists.

if you say so, never heard about that. did he have a party or something?

paint it - black

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2012 18:58

Can you imagine William F. Buckley actually trying to plaster Gore Vidal? Let the slapping and pushing begin between those two masculine giants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 18:58 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 1, 2012 18:59

GravityBoy
Send It To me

Can Open. Worms everywhere.

Date: August 1, 2012 19:08

Munichhilton
GravityBoy
Send It To me

Can Open. Worms everywhere.

Urm... JFK assassination... it's one of my pet obsessions.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 1, 2012 19:40

A great author whose essays I enjoyed even more than his fine works of fiction yet sometimes his rhetoric went out on a limb and away from any known facts, or 'agreed upon facts.'

Date: August 1, 2012 21:23

Your definition of "great" and mine are quite a bit different.

Gore Vidal tried to take credit for writing the screenplay for Ben-Hur but was actually thrown out on his ass when he tried to portray Ben-Hur as being gay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 21:25 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: August 1, 2012 21:37

A great writer, intellectual, and provocateur. His essays are among the best ever written.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2012 21:47

mitchflorida1

Gore Vidal tried to take credit for writing the screenplay for Ben-Hur but was actually thrown out on his ass when he tried to portray Ben-Hur as being gay.

I think you're getting Ben-Hur and Ben-Gay mixed up.

Date: August 1, 2012 21:54

Actually, he did work on the Ben-Hur screen play but was denied any credit. This happens all the time.

Date: August 1, 2012 21:55

treaclefingers
mitchflorida1

I think you're getting Ben-Hur and Ben-Gay mixed up.
ha ha ha ha ha ah ha smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2012 22:08

gimmelittledrink
A great writer, intellectual, and provocateur. His essays are among the best ever written.

As an intellectual, Gore Vidal is right up there with Michael Moore . . smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2012 22:17

Mitch, you are one dumb shit. But as Gore Vidal once said, 'even shit has it's own integrity'.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home