Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let's Discuss Our First Bootleg Experiences
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:35

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:21 by vudicus.

Re: Let's Discuss Our First Bootleg Experiences
Posted by: kristian ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:49

On my way from Frankfurt in July 1973 I made a stop in Stockholm and found "Skivgrossisten" on "Drottningsgatan". I bought "Live´r Than You´ll ever Be", "Beautiful Delilah" and "We never got it on ´till Detroit", vinyl LPs of course.

The quality, soundwise, was rather oscillating, but somehow the experience opened a new, wide world. It was almost 40 years ago! Bootlegs cause addiction, one must admit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:57

Working at a record store in the mid 80's when Claudine and Necrophilia came in.
That was the first time I'd heard "Two Train Blues" and "We Had It All"

What a fantastic time...

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:01

mid- 1977 'Rock Out, Cock Out!'
'American Compendium' - one week later
'Gravestones & Rape of the Vaults' - one day later
'Beautiful Delilah' and 'Bright Lights, Big City' - in the afternoon

What can I say? My love for the ancient vinyl bootlegs will never end. Initially, I bought everything I could get (and this broght me to 2.000+). In a later time, I've decided to put a dead-line: nothing issued after the 1982 Tour, except for the must-have.
Nowadays, I still buy vinyl bootlegs to fill some minor gaps in my bootleg discography and it's a gas! Any new bootleg brings me back to my teens...

Last week, I've brought a copy of my 'Teenage Perversity and Ships in the Night' to a Patti Smith signing session: she was very surprised and moved.
We've spent a few moments talking about those days and she was happy to sign it!
Great time,
bye Luca

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:08

Hear the whistle blowin and Discover New York,bought from finland from our local 2ndhand store,so they were used bootlegs,not new sealed one.That was in 1985 i believe,and they did open a new world,completely.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:22

It was 1970. A friend's older brother had a 2LP set, on Rubber Dubber Records, of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at the LA Forum. Some of the material was used on 'Four Way Street." I was fascinated by the blank white cover with the title stamped on to it in block letters on one side (ala the Who Live at Leeds) and the Rubber Dubber logo stamped on the other. It predated "Four Way Street" by a couple months, apparently.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:26

R
It was 1970. A friend's older brother had a 2LP set, on Rubber Dubber Records, of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at the LA Forum. Some of the material was used on 'Four Way Street." I was fascinated by the blank white cover with the title stamped on to it in block letters on one side (ala the Who Live at Leeds) and the Rubber Dubber logo stamped on the other. It predated "Four Way Street" by a couple months, apparently.

According to legend, the "Rubber Dubber" would use a microphone and an FM transmitter and would send the signal to a van parked near the venue with a Reel To Reel inside.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:38

Well, I think I bought my first ones in Copenhagen as I lived in Malmö. They were Bedspring Symphony and Beautiful Delialah. I had just seen them at Bröndby Hallen so to find Bedspring Symphony in the same year was a revelation! I bought them in a small basement shop of "Ströget" called Love Records! Those were the days!!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:17

1982..."Bedspring Symphony" and "Garden State"...on cassette! Vinyl alternatives were somewhat limited for me, so I used to buy tons of tapes from this guy in Arizona (via money order!) Shortly after I started tracking down vinyl boots.

I must say, though, my favorite "boot" from that time was the Hampton 81 FM broadcast I recorded off the radio...good ol' KMET in Los Angeles!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:36

I can't remember my first bootleg.....but I remember the excitement visiting my records store in the early '70's and went trough the bootlegs...din't buy many because a lot sounded bad............

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:36

1990. I wandered into an antique/used bookstore next to the "Dixie Chicken" on the mainstreet in Budapest and stumbled upon a cd of BBBC sessions - Crackin Up.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:51

Good Question ... I can't say I remember exactly WHAT was my first purchase, but I'd have
to guess it was one of The Yardbirds' boots that had some good BEEB performances on Side One
and some of the Page-era Scandinavia live performances on Side Two, in which the audiences
politely clapped. Still surprising to me were the number of record stores stocking such stuff ...
we know the mail catalogs such as Midnight Records out of NYC but many of the brick'n'mortars
were peddling titles. Another one I recall was in New Haven, a stone's throw from Sam Cutler's place
on Broadway, they had a lot of boots. Zappa, "'tis the Season to Be Jelly" to "Omayad" by The Floyd.
Good fun looking, rarely bought. "Omayad" I found through the aforementioned Midnight Records.
That one was interesting for the holdout tracks from "Zabriskie Point", but even more interesting
despite their poor sound quality were the unfinished songs that eventually morphed into "Animals",
songs such as "Corrosion". GREAT stuff and too bad some of these songs were dropped or changed
at the point of release. Some of the most arresting things Pink Floyd did since "Ummagumma" were
conceived between "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" and never heard the crow of morning.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:57

1977 I bought Kiss "fried alive". After listening to it I returned it thinking it was a cover band because of the poor sound. Over the years I've learned to appreciate audience recordings more. Unfortunately I can't say The Stones were my first.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 27, 2012 22:14

I always had mixed experiences with boots. My worst experience was ordering some '76 boots from Canada... They took absolutely forever to arrive, months, and when they did, it was like listening to a show in the basement with the stereo on in the attic and someone vacuuming in between. So I erred and mentioned online that this seller sold me a not very good boot, and the seller saw it and I felt bad... even though I was the one out $40 for what I thought were crap cds. On the bright side, I'll never forget the joy I experienced the first time I popped in a cassette I bought with Keith singing all those tunes on the piano, and on the other side were a bunch of outtakes, among them that great version of 'You Got The Silver' with Mick on vocals. I listened to it over and over. I have it on cd somewhere now, but do hope it gets released some day as part of a Beggars Banquet package.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()

I remember I got two tapes back in ´80/´81 by a friend of my brother.
One must have been Bedspring Symphony (at least from ´73 including Dancing with Mr.D and Heartbreaker and with that furious SFM ) and the other from´78 with some radio guy talking at the end...

Never forget when I listened to those tapes for the first time.

Thrilling experience...

Posted by: muenke ()

1989 - I´m a newbie - they were selling AtlanticCity regulary in german stores (swinging pics), and I loved it (as a 3 box set). it was a christmas gift by my parents. but i must admit that 89 was the year of my first "real" contact with the stones, singing stones stuff in a band. regulary I was a rockabilly-guy the years before, and therefore no idea about the real thing from 69 and 72 ...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2012 22:21

1974 - Live At Wembley 73 and Nicaragua Benefit Concert from Straight Ahead Records, a little hole in the wall shop in Marlborough Court, off Carnaby Street London run by a Welsh Pink Floyd freak called Derek. Oh, and you could occasionally score decent grass there too!

Ironically a recording I made of one of the 73 shows, Sept 8, later made it onto silver disc as a bootleg.

Date: July 27, 2012 22:21

i remember getting copies in the mid 70s of 'bedspring symphony' which i think was some of brussels affair, and also 'monkey grip' as it was called, which was a boot of the 1975 aerosmith gig at central park (shaeffer music festival)

wore both of them out

there was a place in town called city lights bookshop that was basically a head shop, and it had dozens of great boots back then in those days

the owner marc emery later became ingfamous for selling pot seeds online and getting busted, and for publishing his 'cannabis culture' magazine

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: July 27, 2012 22:29

I bought "Liv'r" on vinyl. The jacket was plain white with no writing. The label on the record was plain with no writing. I still have it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2012 23:23

melvin
I bought "Liv'r" on vinyl. The jacket was plain white with no writing. The label on the record was plain with no writing.

does it even have any grooves?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 27, 2012 23:28

"Live in Detroit" a 69 tour boot on vinyl. A gift from a friend of my dad's in 1981 .I was 16 and had almost all official releases.This was shortly followed by my 1st record fair,at which I think I bought :

New York tour 1978 dbl.LP
Stars in the sky they never lie (73)
As you know, the Stones are......... (Phili 81)
San Diego 69

sc uk

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:18

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:20

Only one Stones boot here: "The iBC Decca Sessions". A MUST.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:22

Managed to get hold of a copy of Reverse Blues by swapping a Led Zeppelin Knebworth T-shirt, probably around 1980. Was a little bit spoilt, because all subsequent vinyl boots I got hold of had poor sound quality in comparison!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:40

My first ever Stones boot was a vinyl Meat Whistle and Box Lunch and the quality and powerhouse performance blew me away. I especially liked Midnight R which was even longer and jammier than Ya ya's. It was cool because Keith sang some of the middle part. I had many requests for cassette tape copies from friends.

Date: July 28, 2012 03:56

Mine was the Stones Liv'r Than You'll Ever Be from their 1969 tour. This was circa 1970-71. Then I discovered Bedspring Symphony around 1974. That remains my favorite of all time.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: July 28, 2012 04:27

I bought Liv'r from Sam The Record Man in Yonge St. Toronto, must have been 1970. His was a legitimate business but boots were so new that I suppose no-one really knew what to do about them. He had a whole stack of them on the floor in plain view. This, & Dylan's Great White Wonder, where the only 2 he ever sold, the authorities must have come down on him after that

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2012 07:51

Beautiful Delilah, Bedspring Symphony, Nasty Music, The Black Box. Charlie Watts & His Rolling Stones on speckled vinyl. Trade Mark Of Quality. Those were the days...

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 28, 2012 08:30

My first boot was The Life And Times Of The Sex Pistols - basically a vinyl SPUNK knock-off, in 1985. I also picked up an LP of the Monkees' '86 reunion with Nesmith in '87.

My first Stones boot was Philly '72 on CD in '93. Hearing "Rocks Off" live blew me away, and "Shelter" just knocked my socks off.

My next one was Bedspring Symphony - vinyl in '97. That changed the way I looked at not only the Stones but music in general. Then the floodgates opened...

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 28, 2012 09:13

vox12string
I bought Liv'r from Sam The Record Man in Yonge St. Toronto, must have been 1970. His was a legitimate business but boots were so new that I suppose no-one really knew what to do about them. He had a whole stack of them on the floor in plain view. This, & Dylan's Great White Wonder, where the only 2 he ever sold, the authorities must have come down on him after that

I loved that store too bad it went under. Thought they had cheap prices.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home