Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Sex Pistols to release 35th Anniversary "Never Mind the Bollocks" Box Set
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:55

SEX PISTOLS TO RELEASE 35TH ANNIVERSARY ‘NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS’ BOX SET
by: Sterling Whitaker

Matt Cardy, Getty Images

When the Sex Pistols released ‘Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols’ in 1977, it sparked off a musical and social revolution in England and became one of the landmark albums of its time. To mark the record’s 35th anniversary, Universal Music UK will release a special deluxe box set version on Sept. 24.

According to the Sex Pistols’ official website, the original master tapes for ‘Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols’ were long thought to have been lost until they were discovered recently during the move from Virgin Records to the Universal Music catalog. The tapes have been remastered for the first time ever for this collection under the direction of Chris Thomas, who produced the original album. The box set includes rarities like a demo studio recording of ‘Belsen Was a Gas,’ the only song from that era previously thought not to have been recorded, as well as the six demos that comprise the bootleg album ‘Spunk’ in their original form.

The project also features a selection of Chris Thomas’ unreleased demos and outtakes from the album, including tracks with Sid Vicious on bass, as well as previously unreleased live performances from 1977, a live DVD, a hardback diary of 1977, artwork, posters, stickers and handwritten lyrics.

‘Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols’ Super Deluxe Box Set Contents:

CD 1 – ‘Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols’

The entire original album, remastered in 2012 under the direction of producer Chris Thomas.

CD 2 – 1977 Studio Rarities & B-Sides

Previously unreleased 1977 recordings, including ‘Belsen Was a Gas’ and the original single b-sides, remastered from the original master tapes.

CD 3 – 1977 Live

Live recordings from 1977, most of which are previously unreleased.

DVD – 1977

Live 1977 DVD produced by Julien Temple, featuring many previously unreleased performances and DVD extras of promo videos and radio interviews.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: OT: Sex Pistols to release 35th Anniversary "Never Mind the Bollocks" Box Set
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 27, 2012 05:10

I love "Never Mind the Bollocks", and I understand its power and the Sex Pistol's importance. But a box set? They'd be better served releasing 6 or 7 vinyl 45s and leaving it at that.

Re: OT: Sex Pistols to release 35th Anniversary "Never Mind the Bollocks" Box Set
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 27, 2012 05:18

Sex Pistols announce details of 35th Anniversary 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' super deluxe box set to be released September 24th through Universal Music UK

As one of the most iconic and influential albums in music history 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' still sounds as powerful and unique as ever, 35 years since the original release. As such an important musical and cultural force the album changed the landscape for records and the music industry. The Sex Pistols defined a generation and captured a feeling within the nation that simply no one else could of. The band created a truly distinctive sound and 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' impact and influence still strongly resonates with musicians, artists and people to this day. To celebrate its 35th anniversary, Universal Music UK has assembled a super-deluxe box set release that really does this legendary album justice.

While many fans will undoubtedly be of the opinion that there can be very little left in the Sex Pistols vaults that hasn't already been seen and heard, followers of the band will be thrilled by the treasure trove of music, footage, interviews, pictures and artifacts confirmed to be included.

The original master tapes from the 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' recording sessions in 1977 were thought to be lost for many years. Now thankfully rediscovered during the recent move from Virgin Records to Universal Music Catalogue in January 2012 the tapes have been remastered, for the very first time, by Tim Young under direction from original producer Chris Thomas. Some real treats have also been found along the way. The find that will perhaps excite fans the most is the lost 1977 demo studio recording of 'Belsen Was A Gas', the only original Sex Pistols composition of the era thought not to be recorded.

Other treats include the inclusion of six demos first included on the infamous 'Spunk' bootleg album, released for the very first time in their original, untouched form following the very recent discovery of their original master tapes. These, combined with a selection of unreleased Chris Thomas demo's and outtakes from the recording of the album - including tracks with Sid Vicious on bass- plus a wealth of live audio and visual material all from 1977 make up a box set that will truly satisfy fans of the band.

Below is a breakdown of the contents: (also see further below for more info)

CD1 - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols: 2012 Re-mastered, from the thought lost original master tapes with process overseen by original producer Chris Thomas
CD2 - 1977 Studio Rarities & B-Sides: Previously unreleased 1977 recordings including the legendary Belsen Was A Gas with John on vocals plus the original single b-sides, again all remastered from the original master tapes
CD3 - 1977 Live: High quality live recordings from 1977, most of which are previously unreleased
DVD - 1977: Live 1977 DVD produced by Julien Temple and featuring many previously unseen performances plus DVD extras of promo videos and radio interviews
1977 Diary: Hardback 100 page 12" by 12" diary with quotes, rare and previously unseen photos, memorabilia and exclusive images
7" Single: Replica of the withdrawn God Save The Queen A&M single
Poster: 3FT by 4.5FT Never Mind The Bollocks replica promo poster
Stickers: Reproductions of the original Never Mind The Bollocks promo stickers
Lyrics: A copy of the original handwritten lyrics to God Save The Queen will also be included

NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS
Super Deluxe Box Set

CD1 - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols*
Holidays In The Sun
Bodies
No Feelings
Liar
God Save The Queen
Problems
Seventeen
Anarchy In The UK
Submission
Pretty Vacant
New York
EMI

CD2 - 1977 Studio Rarities & B-Sides
The single b-sides remastered.
No Feeling
Did You No Wrong
No Fun
Satellite
Dave Goodman Jan 1977 demos recorded at Gooseberry Studios **
5. New York
6. EMI
7. Liar
8. Pretty Vacant
9. Problems
10. GSTQ
Chris Thomas Demo's & Outtakes***
11. Did You Know Wrong (March 3rd 1977)
12. 17 (April 21st 1977)
13. Satellite (April 22nd 1977)
14. Submission (April 22nd 1977)
15. Holidays In The Sun (April 22nd 1977)
16. EMI (April 22nd 1977)
17. 17 (May 16th 1977)
18. Holidays In The Sun (June 11th 1977)
19. Bodies (June 11th 1977)
20. Submission (August 12th 1977)
21. Belsen Was A Gas (original demo) (19 September 1977)****

CD3 - 1977 Live
Ssamfundet Club, Trondheim, Norway - 21st July
Anarchy In The U.K.
I Wanna Be Me
New York
EMI
No Fun
No Feelings
Problems
God Save The Queen

Happy House, Stockholm, Sweden - 28th July***
10. Anarchy In The UK
11. I Wanna Be Me
12. 17
13. New York
14. EMI
15. Submission
16. No Feelings
17. Problems
18. God Save The Queen
19. Pretty Vacant
20. No Fun

DVD - 1977
Riverboat Party, The River Thames, London - 7th July
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
Problems
Happy House, Stockholm, Sweden - 28th July***
Anarchy In The UK
I Wanna Be Me
Seventeen
New York
Problems
No Fun
S.P.O.T.S. Tour - Winter Gardens, Penzance, Cornwall - 1st September***
Problems
No Fun
Anarchy In The UK

DVD EXTRA'S
God Save The Queen video
Pretty Vacant video
Holidays In The Sun video
The HeyDay Interviews. Interviews by Judy and Fred Vermorel recorded in August 1977 with:
Steve Jones
Paul Cook
John Lydon
Sid Vicious
Glen Matlock
BBC, Radio 1, Rock On, December 12th 1977 - John Tobler interview with John and Sid (previously unheard full uncensored version)

OTHER CONTENT

1977 (The Bollocks Diaries)
100 page full-colour hardback diary detailing every significant band event in this explosive year. Written by former Mojo editor Pat Gilbert, the book includes multiple quotes from key figures, previously unseen photos, recording details, memorabilia and much more.

+ replica A&M GSTQ/No Feeling 7" single.

+ 3FT by 4.5FT Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols replica promo poster.

+ copy of original handwritten lyrics to God Save The Queen.

+ Replica Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols promo stickers.

Content Key/Bullet Points
* = remastered from the recently found original album master tapes by Tim Young under the guidance of original producer Chris Thomas.

** = these 6 demo's would make up the legendary 'Spunk' album but are heard here for the very first time in their original, untouched form following the very recent discovery of the original master tapes.

*** = All tracks previously unreleased except Submission (track ) which unlike in 2002 when it first appeared is now mastered from the original tapes.

**** = This is the legendary original demo featuring John Lydon on vocals and is taken from the recently recovered original master tapes.

[www.sexpistolsofficial.com]

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 27, 2012 06:47

why don't they just put out some new material? make another album instead of keep reissuing the old one...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 27, 2012 07:01

roundnround
why don't they just put out some new material? make another album instead of keep reissuing the old one...

Johnny doesn't think he can write for the Pistols anymore. He only wants to write new songs for PiL, whose new one isn't bad BTW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 10:04 by ab.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:14

roundnround

One thing that drives me MAAAAAAAD is when bands I love reunite for tours and don't record new material! The Sex Pistols are the leading example. So, despite all their reunions, we still have only ONE proper studio album.

I was so furious the Police didn't record a new album when they reunited in 2007 I didn't bother seeing them on that reunion tour.

The composition of the Sex Pistols' songs was so half-assed, [John Lydon, in rough paraphrase from memory]: "Steve Jones would play something and I'd come up with lyrics on the spot and sing them into the microphone as he was playing, and that's how we wrote our songs." Doesn't sound so hard to try again.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 08:36 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2012 09:30

Wot, no 5.1 mix? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 27, 2012 10:39

looks great! No pre order?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 27, 2012 11:24

Title5Take1
roundnround

One thing that drives me MAAAAAAAD is when bands I love reunite for tours and don't record new material! The Sex Pistols are the leading example. So, despite all their reunions, we still have only ONE proper studio album.

I was so furious the Police didn't record a new album when they reunited in 2007 I didn't bother seeing them on that reunion tour.

The composition of the Sex Pistols' songs was so half-assed, [John Lydon, in rough paraphrase from memory]: "Steve Jones would play something and I'd come up with lyrics on the spot and sing them into the microphone as he was playing, and that's how we wrote our songs." Doesn't sound so hard to try again.

Lydon is very adamant about not writing new stuff for the Pistols, it may have been posted in a thread from last month, but he says it's difficult to write for them and he'd rather not mar the legacy of what they accomplished. I'll post it if I can find it, but there is a very definite reason for not doing so, and it's Lydon's decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 11:25 by stonesnow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 27, 2012 14:43

One or two new tracks would be fun and would at least create the illusion that they're still potentially an ongoing creative entity, but I can understand Lydon's dilemma. What, exactly, would a 56-year-old Johnny Rotten have to "say"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-28 02:54 by tatters.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 16:22

Lydon is taking himself too seriously about the writing. The Who didn't record new stuff for years. And then when they did two new songs on their THEN AND NOW hits album in 2004...Well, one of those new songs Real Good Looking Boy is now one of my favorite Who songs. It's only rock n roll.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 27, 2012 16:25

roundnround

It's all they know which, for the 'Pistols, is as it should be.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:26

This sounds like a very nice set, I'll buy it. But like others I wish they would do something new, and tour as well. They're a great rock and roll band, though a bit nasty, ha-ha.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:15

If they recorded new songs, they will never have be the same energy as in '77. The new songs would be a bit ridiculous i guess. That's one of the reasons they don't do it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:21

steffiestones
If they recorded new songs, they will never have be the same energy as in '77. The new songs would be a bit ridiculous i guess. That's one of the reasons they don't do it.

this same thing could be said for another english band that's discussed here with relative frequency...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:22

steffiestones

I'm inclined to agree. The Sex Pistols were a time and place. New material under the 'Sex Pistols' would be a joke

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:34

Title5Take1
Lydon is taking himself too seriously about the writing. The Who didn't record new stuff for years. And then when they did two new songs on their THEN AND NOW hits album in 2004...Well, one of those new songs Real Good Looking Boy is now one of my favorite Who songs. It's only rock n roll.

One of my favourites too. I was less enthused about the other one 'Old Red Wine' even if it was a nice tribute to John Entwistle.
I prefered the 2007 re-issue, where they binned off 'ORW' and put on 'It's not enough', which is much better. They'd also managed to leave off Baba O'reily from the '04 version which was crazy.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:34

Prefer The Clash

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 1, 2012 02:00

PiL on tour!

August 2012
1 - Reading, United Kingdom - Sub 89
3 - Wolverhampton, United Kingdom - Wulfrun Hall
4 - Blackpool, United Kingdom - Empress Ballroom
6 - Newcastle, United Kingdom - O2 Academy
7 - Manchester, United Kingdom - HMV Ritz
9 - Lokeren, Belgium - Lokerse Feesten
11 - London, United Kingdom - HMV Forum
12 - Hertfordshire, United Kingdom - Hatfield University
13 - Bristol, United Kingdom - O2 Academy
15, 16 - Brighton, United Kingdom - Concorde 2
18 - Devon, United Kingdom - Beautiful Days Festival
19 - Leicester, United Kingdom - Summer Sundae

October 2012
3 - Orlando, FL - Firestone Live
5 - Miami, FL - Grand Central
6 - Ybor City, FL - Cuban Club
8 - Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club
9 - Brooklyn, NY - The Music Hall of Williamsburg
11 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
12 - Clifton Park, NY - Upstate Concert Hall
13 - New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
15 - Boston, MA - Royale Boston
16 - Montreal, Quebec - Club Soda
18 - Toronto, Ontario - The Opera House
19 - Detroit, MI - Royal Oak Music Theatre
21 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
22 - Minneapolis, MN - Mill City Nights
25 - San Francisco, CA - Regency Ballroom
28 - Los Angeles, CA - Club Nokia

November 2012
1 - Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
3 - Austin, TX - Fun Fun Fun Fest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 02:02 by tatters.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 2, 2012 05:27

folks wanting new Sex Pistols stuff: Public Image Ltd. is what Lydon's been up to for the past 30+ years.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 3, 2012 12:28

Title5Take1
roundnround

i think Johnny Rotten Lydon has lost his old voice, he sounds like a whiner these days, - high pitched scream, Sorry, but in my opinion the power of the Pistols era is gone from his voice, I dont mind him doing PIL reunion but with his current voice, He could never record a Pistols album anymore. His voice is gone.

I cant remember any reunion albums that I would have liked, most reunions have always been myth destroying dissapointments - take Stooges reunion album "weirdness" - it's not only the worst Iggy Pop album ever, but it was huge dissapointment to Stooges fans too. I think Pistols reunion album would be a disaster.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 3, 2012 12:46

treaclefingers
I'm inclined to agree. The Sex Pistols were a time and place. New material under the 'Sex Pistols' would be a joke

Yep.

Johnny quite likes the Royal family now (I'm not joking).

I know he'll deny it but he isn't the angry man he was 30 years ago.

John Lyndon talks a good game these days and is articulate. I watched a recent interview he did (for the BBC?) and he's interesting.

However.. he doesn't (genuinely) need to keep his jumpers together with safety pins anymore and is quite comfortable thanks very much.

He couldn't write a Sex Pistols song today.

It would be a joke.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: August 3, 2012 13:43

I saw PIl at their Rochester Castle gig last weekend and very good they were too. John was on good form and seemed to be in a very jolly mood - good banter with the audience. The Wedding Present were pretty impressive support as well.

andy

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2012 14:50

What a load of old bollocks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:28

steffiestones

Agree...it was fun back then.......it will be stupid to do/try it again it won't work

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:42

It is only fitting that a band that did so much to change the course of music/history have only one true official album/document of their work.

I just wish they would do a simple multi-disc release and spare us all this replica crap that just inflates the price and size of the box.

The 25th anniversary box was quite nice and sounded great. But I guess these 'newly found' (held back?) REAL master tapes may be a sonic improvement on something that was never meant to sound very good in the first place.

J

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:53

There was a bootleg box set years ago wheich more or less covered much (not all) of that. The unreleased, unmixed studio stuff was terrific. Meanwhile for Mr. Lydon, life is good in Malibu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2139
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home