Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Possible Led Zeppelin activity this Christmas (via Eddie Trunk)
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 26, 2012 20:46

likecats
Naturalust
RollingFreak
Their reunion concert was billed as LED Zeppelin .

I'll bet they were put up to it by a promoter and needed the cash. Rather dissapointing, at least the show was great, they probably called up Bonzo's ghost backstage before the show , or something. peace

The concert was both a fundraiser and a way of honoring the late Ahmet Ertegun (in fact, the tickets say Ahmet Tribute Concert, not Led Zeppelin), and they weren't raising money for themselves. The profits went to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund to provide scholarships for students to attend universities in the U.S., U.K., and Turkey.

Nice to hear that likecats. Maybe the Led Zeppelin billing was a public perception thing or a Radio Staion DJ gone wild? peace

Date: July 26, 2012 20:48

BluzDude
RollingFreak
BluzDude
My understanding is that Page won't release Zeppelin's material without the other's permission (even though he most likely owns the rights), and Plant, so far, has said No to the 2007 reunion release. I think if it were all up to Page, there would be much more released live (and maybe some studio) material.
Really? I know Plant is against touring, but I've never read anything about him not wanting other stuff being released. Maybe because that just fuels rumor talk? It always seemed to me that Page didn't want to make a profit off what was a charity show for Ahmet Ertegun. 5 years down the line from that show though, it seems like it would be a fitting release.I honestly wouldn't need anything else from them so I think that would be a great way to bookend their career.

I agree it would make a great release. I have the Boot of the show, and if properly mastered, I think it would sound great.

Bob Clearmountain where are you? peace

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 26, 2012 20:56

If Page ever pulled another greatest hits tour, he should christen it, "Dead Zeppelin".
It's OVER, folks.

Date: July 26, 2012 22:05

Just release the DVD from this concert and I'll be happy. Where is this from? Damn these guys are smokin! peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-26 22:11 by Naturalust.

Date: July 26, 2012 22:11

RollingFreak
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Perhaps Led Zeppelin is also releasing a hard rock compilation via iTunes called something like MISTY MOUNTAIN HOPPING.
Not that its a bad idea, and its certainly possible, but they just released Mothership at the same time as their reunion show. And that was very much promoted as their introduction to iTunes etc. Just seems like its already been done.

I was only sillily shooting for something equivalent to The Beatles' recent 'hush hush - oh nevermind, it's just a iTunes-only compilation' thing with a hell of a wink. It failed. My bad.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 26, 2012 22:37

Naturalust
Just release the DVD from this concert and I'll be happy. Where is this from? Damn these guys are smokin! peace

This is from The Song Remains The Same. That whole concert is already out on DVD in their movie from the 70s. And the entire concert is on the new 2 CD soundtrack they released from the film.

Date: July 26, 2012 23:46

pinkfloydthebarber
RE: "for someone that is hailed as a great songwriter and a great guitar player he hasn't done much of anything since 1980."

hasn't had to though, has he? he did it all, and then some, before then

but rumours for anything 'new' from zep?

it's probably surely BS

he did it all? rumors for years of stealing other songs and yet he shows after the band broke up he had very little still in the tank. from 1968-1981 page wrote less than 70 songs. thats not very prolific at all

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:07

BluzDude
My understanding is that Page won't release Zeppelin's material without the other's permission (even though he most likely owns the rights), and Plant, so far, has said No to the 2007 reunion release. I think if it were all up to Page, there would be much more released live (and maybe some studio) material.

As I understood it (and this info was from a Led Zep messageboard so by no means is it a reliable source), they were going to release it. And had contracted some company to put it all together. But when the rehearsal stuff got leaked by said company, Page/Plant/Jones lost their trust in them and pulled the pin. Which would suggest it's sitting somewhere half done..

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:20

RollingFreak
Naturalust

This is from The Song Remains The Same. That whole concert is already out on DVD in their movie from the 70s. And the entire concert is on the new 2 CD soundtrack they released from the film.

actually been released for the first time back in 2003 in their "DVD" set.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:24

"This is from The Song Remains The Same"

Yeah recorded in NYC in July 1973 (July 27 to 29) and guess what? These shows are among the worst of the 73 tour.

Page knew that, that's why he spent months editing chopping making composites of the songs heard on the lp/film.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:32

Ross Halfin (the photographer and Jimmy Pages best friend/bodyguard) mentions whatching some of the o2 gig with Mr Page on his diary, it was sometime last year i think. Its must be somewhat done....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:45

dcba
"This is from The Song Remains The Same"

Yeah recorded in NYC in July 1973 (July 27 to 29) and guess what? These shows are among the worst of the 73 tour.

Page knew that, that's why he spent months editing chopping making composites of the songs heard on the lp/film.

I think you may be totally......correct. But then again, I have seen LZ 18 times over 7 tours and always said that 1973 was their worst sounding tour. While Plant started loosing his voice in '71 or '72, it was gone (or changed) by '73 and he hadn't yet learn to compensate for his new lack of range.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 27, 2012 03:12

what a money maker this would be

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 27, 2012 03:30

Rip This

Yup

Especially with the Zep T-Shirted millions under 25 years old that have never heard "That's The Way"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2012 03:32

Munichhilton
Rip This

Yup

Especially with the Zep T-Shirted millions under 25 years old that have never heard "That's The Way"

Or 'Boogie Shoes' for that matter.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:00

Naturalust
Munichhilton
incredibly perfect digital stereo.

They will have to reamp the stuff then to give it some analog magic. Sounds like could use the skills of Jeff Lynne working with Jimmy Page. peace

One more band Jeff Lynne can make sound like ELO.

Date: July 27, 2012 08:03

71Tele
Naturalust
Munichhilton

They will have to reamp the stuff then to give it some analog magic. Sounds like could use the skills of Jeff Lynne working with Jimmy Page. peace

people say that but it only happens when jeff lynne co-writes the songs. when he just produces it doesn't sound like ELO

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 27, 2012 11:04

Munichhilton
Rip This

Yup

Well there are a few million Tongue T-wearing people that has never heard Sway or Parachute Woman.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 27, 2012 15:35

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Rip This

Yup

Don't you mean 'Boogie With Stu'?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2012 15:54

Valeswood
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Rip This

Yup

Don't you mean 'Boogie With Stu'?

Possibly...or it may have been a lame attempt at making a funny. I'll have to check.

Date: July 27, 2012 18:40

keefriffhard4life
71Tele
Naturalust
Munichhilton

people say that but it only happens when jeff lynne co-writes the songs. when he just produces it doesn't sound like ELO

I agree. Dislike ELO to a song, but love Jeff's production work with others including George Harrison and Joe Walsh. People change tele, give him a chance.ELO was how many years ago? peace

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 27, 2012 22:23

Naturalust
likecats
Naturalust
RollingFreak
Their reunion concert was billed as LED Zeppelin .

I'll bet they were put up to it by a promoter and needed the cash. Rather dissapointing, at least the show was great, they probably called up Bonzo's ghost backstage before the show , or something. peace

The concert was both a fundraiser and a way of honoring the late Ahmet Ertegun (in fact, the tickets say Ahmet Tribute Concert, not Led Zeppelin), and they weren't raising money for themselves. The profits went to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund to provide scholarships for students to attend universities in the U.S., U.K., and Turkey.

Nice to hear that likecats. Maybe the Led Zeppelin billing was a public perception thing or a Radio Staion DJ gone wild? peace

I don't mean to put down any of the other acts, but there's no doubt who the headliner was that was generating the mad scramble for tickets. Actually, the first hour or so was a variety of Atlantic Records artists playing a couple of songs each, then a short break while Harvey Goldsmith spoke about Ertegun and the charity, and then Led Zeppelin played.

Date: July 28, 2012 16:43

This thread has made me search for obscure Zeppelin stuff on YouTube, my favorite yields have been finding the stuff JPJ did with Nick Beggs in the John Paul Jones Orchestra. The clip below is great. Some real musical magic! Check out that bass mandolin/chapman stick piece at 15:00 if nothing else. No Quarter right after is also stunning. Tele this show was played to your city you lucky dog.

Jpj isn't really the lead man Plant was but it's amazing to realize just how fantastic the guy is as a musician. The thing about Zeppelin is they were ALL giants musically.

One of the reasons we are not getting great bands like this as often these days is probably the great turn around (and cooperation) in the English music scene at the time, where everyone knew everyone else and switched groups frequently. That kind of thing allowed the cream to rise to the top very naturally and the result was the late great Led Zeppelin! peace

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 28, 2012 21:22

I was at the O2 gig. It was @#$%& fantastic. Great great gig man

\m/

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 29, 2012 02:07

does this mean they might actually write a song on their own?

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:55

BluzDude
RollingFreak
BluzDude
Really? I know Plant is against touring, but I've never read anything about him not wanting other stuff being released. Maybe because that just fuels rumor talk? It always seemed to me that Page didn't want to make a profit off what was a charity show for Ahmet Ertegun. 5 years down the line from that show though, it seems like it would be a fitting release.I honestly wouldn't need anything else from them so I think that would be a great way to bookend their career.

I agree it would make a great release. I have the Boot of the show, and if properly mastered, I think it would sound great.

Things are starting to happen. Possible Nov/Dec release of the O2 show. I know this is a hardcore Stones forum, but if you're also a Led Zeppelin fan, check your Zeppelin message boards. There is a serious buzz in the Zeppelin community. Count me in!

smileys with beer

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 8, 2012 17:41

Date: September 8, 2012 20:37

achilles77
Things are starting to happen. Possible Nov/Dec release of the O2 show. I know this is a hardcore Stones forum, but if you're also a Led Zeppelin fan, check your Zeppelin message boards. There is a serious buzz in the Zeppelin community. Count me in!

smileys with beer
Yup, just read an article about this yesterday. Thought back to when I saw Eddie Trunk's tweet. Hope this ends up being true as I would still really love to have this. This sign that other news sources are picking up on it seem hopeful to me! But obviously won't count it totally official till its actually out in stores or else I'm possibly setting myself up for a big letdown.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 21:53

A little teaser from the Led Zeppelin facebook page...

[www.facebook.com]

Most likely it means it's been five years, but if it says 4 tomorrow, then it would be a countdown to an announcement.

cool smiley

Date: September 9, 2012 01:46

Another interesting tweet:

Peter Mensch

@maindepowr

"today, Moulder continues with his stellar mixing of the O2 show. it's been 5 years coming and it's almost here."

From July 10th

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 01:48 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2041
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home