Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The new Jim Marshall '72 photo book thread
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:32

Rockman
..........they forced me ta do it MILKY....

Ya got me all wrong, mate. Post all da Stones photos ya want. Especially all yer non-Tarle ones from the early 70s.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:35

....Yeah your cool mate ... i was just foolin' around ...no harm done at all..
rock on matey...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 24, 2012 18:24

Just got it and it´s a wonderful book worth every cent.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 24, 2012 20:02

hbwriter
I was in that studio recently and can line up exactly where they sat, stood, etc - it's interesting - very little has changed

What studio is it? Olympic?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 24, 2012 21:24

hbwriter
stupidguy2
Its funny to think that: in 1979, I was in the 6th grade. In my school library there was a book called Rock, Pop and Soul, basically a biographical encyclopedia of popular music. The Stones had just started to creep into my consciousness and I looked them up in the book. It had the standard bio up to that point, and the photo accompanying their brief chapter was of Jagger on stage in 72...it was in color so I remember that blue jumpsuit and the painted stage and Jagger looking wild. But to me, there was something so 'old' about the photo - I had not yet read the Stones mythology, so it just seemed like something from a time warp....like everything did when your 13. This was right after Some Girls, so the photo was my first impression of mythical Stones, although it didn't seem mythical at the time, just 'old', like from another time. Its weird to think that more than 30 years later, that tour, that costume, that stage and all the photos documenting it...are so alive and timeless. These pics take me back to how my 13-year old self saw them for the first time and how they've become larger than life.

a really cool comment - i thoroughly enjoyed that

Me too, I can totally relate to that. One's earliest impressions and experiences of hearing, seeing and reading about a band can so far from one's later perceptions, though you never really forget those moments. Thanks again for the anecdote!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 24, 2012 21:57

LieB
hbwriter
stupidguy2
Its funny to think that: in 1979, I was in the 6th grade. In my school library there was a book called Rock, Pop and Soul, basically a biographical encyclopedia of popular music. The Stones had just started to creep into my consciousness and I looked them up in the book. It had the standard bio up to that point, and the photo accompanying their brief chapter was of Jagger on stage in 72...it was in color so I remember that blue jumpsuit and the painted stage and Jagger looking wild. But to me, there was something so 'old' about the photo - I had not yet read the Stones mythology, so it just seemed like something from a time warp....like everything did when your 13. This was right after Some Girls, so the photo was my first impression of mythical Stones, although it didn't seem mythical at the time, just 'old', like from another time. Its weird to think that more than 30 years later, that tour, that costume, that stage and all the photos documenting it...are so alive and timeless. These pics take me back to how my 13-year old self saw them for the first time and how they've become larger than life.

a really cool comment - i thoroughly enjoyed that

Me too, I can totally relate to that. One's earliest impressions and experiences of hearing, seeing and reading about a band can so far from one's later perceptions, though you never really forget those moments. Thanks again for the anecdote!

You rookies actually never have experienced the real Rolling Stones experience. That means: in real time and certainly not in the late 70ties. It's compensated by the fact that you're still relatively young.

Date: July 24, 2012 22:56

kleermaker
You rookies actually never have experienced the real Rolling Stones experience. That means: in real time and certainly not in the late 70ties. It's compensated by the fact that you're still relatively young.

Did you have to remind me of that fact...missing them at their peak ?
Nevertheless one can still enjoy the music of that time and some treasures been digged out,even now.
But you´re right,this can´t equal the lack of the real experience.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 25, 2012 00:02

If I'm gonna go around grudging the fact that I didn't see the Stones in '72, I might as well curse myself for not being born early enough to meet Leonardo Da Vinci.

I admit I am a little bummed for passing on the 1792 tour.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 25, 2012 04:58

Claire_M
hbwriter
I was in that studio recently and can line up exactly where they sat, stood, etc - it's interesting - very little has changed

What studio is it? Olympic?

Sunset Sound, in Los Angeles.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: July 26, 2012 02:29

Any photos specific to Vancouver you could post?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 26, 2012 03:02

The 60s ended in 1972. Great pics, thank's very much.

I was 14 and playing tennis that night when they hit my city in 1972. Dumbo. lol I still hadn't even gone to my first concert.

I was entranced by the white jumpsuit and thought that it looked just so cool and so intense. Even though it looks great later reflection sometimes makes me uncomfortable because of the "Elvis" feel to it.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 03:36

Great book!!!!! I'm a BIG Taylor fan and I thought MT's hair was too long for these two hotel shots to be taken on the 1972 tour, 1979 is probably right. Can't say that I think Rose Taylor was a "stunner", nice legs but what happened to the rest.....LOL From looking at these pics though, Taylor was certainly a big part of the band and was NOT an outsider like many think he was, he was in there thick as thieves.

Now for Eathen Russell to come out with his 1972 STP tour book

The one shot that shows Jagger and the rose pedals on the stage is labeled them performing HONKY TONK WOMAN but I'm sure they were preforming SFM. Love the shot of the chick with the big jugs in the hot pants outfit, holding the rose pedal bowl...

Cheers

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 13:09

Really disappointed that the book is so small, and so many great photos span two pages, which ruins those great close-up shots of Mick or Keith. Still, it has fabulous photos!

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: August 2, 2012 15:49

I just got back from Budapest. The book is promoted on billboards all over the city.
Everywhere I looked I saw the Tongue logo book cover.

Date: August 2, 2012 18:39

Promoman
I just got back from Budapest. The book is promoted on billboards all over the city.
Everywhere I looked I saw the Tongue logo book cover.

Are you talking about this book or more likely about the Rolling Stones 50 one ?

Date: August 2, 2012 18:46

great !! thanks man!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 3, 2012 02:45

Jim was a fine photographer with great access...and a true wild man!
The kind of guy that even Keith would not take on.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 11, 2012 16:05

The Wall Street Journal has a short, but very nice review of Marshall's book.

[online.wsj.com]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 11, 2012 18:04

is anyone else going to the reception this friday in LA for Marshall's book? if so please let me know

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 12, 2012 00:23

Nice article from the WSJ. The book sounds like a must have. Thanks for sharing. smoking smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:27

A guy who shot at first glance somethin' like this is indeed a great photographer !
(Look at the mirror) winking smiley

This one above is my favorite of them all (edited, I don't want to ruin my book)

HMN

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: August 12, 2012 03:31

cn854
Great book!!!!! I'm a BIG Taylor fan and I thought MT's hair was too long for these two hotel shots to be taken on the 1972 tour, 1979 is probably right. Can't say that I think Rose Taylor was a "stunner", nice legs but what happened to the rest.....LOL From looking at these pics though, Taylor was certainly a big part of the band and was NOT an outsider like many think he was, he was in there thick as thieves.

Now for Eathen Russell to come out with his 1972 STP tour book

The one shot that shows Jagger and the rose pedals on the stage is labeled them performing HONKY TONK WOMAN but I'm sure they were preforming SFM. Love the shot of the chick with the big jugs in the hot pants outfit, holding the rose pedal bowl...

Didn't they perform HTW as an encore at a couple of shows? It would make sense for the petals to be there if they did....

Cheers

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 12, 2012 04:35

memphiscats
Nice article from the WSJ. The book sounds like a must have. Thanks for sharing. smoking smiley

Awesome! Thank YOU for sharing the link to that WSJ article!!!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home