Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: new Dylan album coming
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2012 11:58

windmelody
The whole album can be listened to on iroots now. I cannot say were the album ranks in Dylan's history, but one thing is clear: we have another great record by a unique figure.

You got a link?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 4, 2012 12:01

Go to google, enter "iroots Dylan". I hope that works.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2012 12:06

windmelody
Go to google, enter "iroots Dylan". I hope that works.

smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 13:26

There's something paradoxical about Dylan since Time Out of Mind. It's almost like he's a different person than the guy who gave us the "Dylan classics." But there's a compelling artistry there for me despite a total change in his approach to lyric writing. It's more straightforward now, not so much enigmatic symbolism and imagery. But it's music about real life, full of emotion and sincerity. Then - the obvious discussion that his voice is painful to listen to. Yep, it is, but somehow it still draws me in and moves me. To me, his current, ravaged voice well suits the kind of songs he's been writing; songs about heartache, loss, a world going to hell in a handbasket. He is not anymore the Dylan of Blood on the Tracks, but he is a brilliant artist creating honest and compelling work, in my opinion. I look forward to hearing the new album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 4, 2012 14:06

For the most part, an absolutely marvellous piece of work.

Incredible that an artist in his 70's can put out something as brilliant, let alone one who's already written more great songs than any other writer in ths history of popular music.

Personal favourites on first couple of listens - the title track and "Scarlet Town".

"Tin Angel" was one that was much raved about but which might take me a couple of listens to appreciate. "Early Roman Kings" was the first song to leak and didnt really excite me as it seemed an unspectacular Muddy re-tread. Everything else I've heard sounds wonderful.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 4, 2012 14:11

Good to hear that review, Gazza, the 3 songs posted previously didn't excite me either; especially not Early Roman Kings. So Maybe Dylan will not disappoint this time after all...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 4, 2012 15:17

The last three songs on the album clock in at around 30 and a half minutes in total!

Date: September 4, 2012 16:36

Gazza
The last three songs on the album clock in at around 30 and a half minutes in total!

Jeez, what is it with these old longwinded grandpas? Neil Young has a new LP with Crazy Horse in the can and at least 3 combined songs (unveiled so far) clock in at post-30 minutes as well.

Not that I'm really complainin', I'm just giving them "the business"! I've ignored all previews of TEMPEST so that I may take it all in at once, really looking forward to it.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 4, 2012 18:14

Wow. I just listened through once...another incredible work from the bard. Maybe the best of this "latter-years" run that began 14 years ago. "Tin Angel" is sublime.

Any buccaneers swimming around in the bay may find this one floating around!

I think I need to kick back with this one again!

Date: September 4, 2012 20:30

I heard the whole album, and I had been apprehensive: while I like and have all his late albums, they just havent been that exciting to me. This new one is incredible.

Date: September 4, 2012 22:34

Tin Angel has got me! As has Narrow Way and many others of the album. The title track maybe a bit long, I have to think about Roll On John, but the affection he gives to Lennon is very warm. There is a rather aggressive element in the album. I would not like to have a quarrel with Bob Dylan.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:45

The parts of this album that aren't brilliant are still pretty damn good.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 4, 2012 22:58

I'm going to wait until I get the vinyl in my hands.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:06

When I'm President the new album by 73 year old Ian Hunter is bloody good too.

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: September 5, 2012 08:55

It is legally streaming on iTunes.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 09:19

His best since Love & Theft. The disc seems to tie together the Blood on Tracks/Desire era with his later 21st century albums. The title track's ambition is fulfilled and provides a nice coda to his career

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 6, 2012 07:22

stonesdan60
There's something paradoxical about Dylan since Time Out of Mind. It's almost like he's a different person than the guy who gave us the "Dylan classics." But there's a compelling artistry there for me despite a total change in his approach to lyric writing. It's more straightforward now, not so much enigmatic symbolism and imagery. But it's music about real life, full of emotion and sincerity. Then - the obvious discussion that his voice is painful to listen to. Yep, it is, but somehow it still draws me in and moves me. To me, his current, ravaged voice well suits the kind of songs he's been writing; songs about heartache, loss, a world going to hell in a handbasket. He is not anymore the Dylan of Blood on the Tracks, but he is a brilliant artist creating honest and compelling work, in my opinion. I look forward to hearing the new album.

Yes, you make some very good points, stonesdan60. I don't think Bob's current singing voice would be able to really do songs like 'A Simple Twist Of Fate', 'You're A Big Girl Now' and 'Shelter From The Storm' full justice now, as his voice really isn't as supple anymore, and the nuances within his previous vocal interpretation would be lost, resulting in the songs losing some of their symbolism and imagery (not to mention as you say the more straightforward manner within Bob's more recent writing anyway). However, in later years he has still at times displayed great sensitivity, especially in songs like 'Moonlight', When The Deal Goes Down' and 'Working Mans Blues' so perhaps that argument is not quite exclusively true. My belief is is that Bob has found an amazing way of turning around what may seem like his vocal inadequaces and decline, to his advantage. These later songs benefit immensely from those ragged vocals of his, and so full of character too, and especially with the blues framework he currently works in, his singing has such real bite and an air of authenticity, contrasting greatly from the polish of more contemporary music and singing. What he may have lost with age, he seems to have made up for by presenting the songs that little bit differently,and his music, especially since LOVE AND THEFT displays a wonderful freshness and spontaneity. Although much has been made of the greatness of TIME OUT OF MIND, i have never liked its sound. I find the album very clinical sounding, perhaps thanks to Daniel Lanois, which goes very much against the grain of Bob's general method of recording. Sometimes, when listening to MODERN TIMES, i feel the band don't always play as sharply and tightly as they might (they perhaps lack a little precision), and Bob's vocal on occasions could have done with a little more injection of adrenaline (but as i say only on occasions). Generally, MODERN TIMES is a great album though, and a worthy follow up to LOVE AND THEFT, although for me, LOVE AND THEFT, is more meticulous in terms of the band pretty much being fully on form. There's a great tension throughout LOVE AND THEFT within the way the songs are conveyed both musically, and vocally, and from the tracks i have heard from TEMPEST, this new album comes closer to LOVE AND THEFT than the other more recent offerings in sharing those attributes. TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE was a huge step backwards for me, in terms of its quality, although there were a few nice touches here and there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 07:48 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 6, 2012 07:38

>TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE was a huge step backwards for me, in terms of its quality, although there were a few nice touches here and there.

Very good post but why neglect his last album? It seems forgotten by many (not just you).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 6, 2012 07:43

stonesdan60

Dylan has been giving us a "different person" for years. Is the Dylan who did Nashville Skyline the same as the Dylan who did Subterranean Homesick Blues or the Dylan who did Slow Train Coming? Completely different voices and personas. I am not saying he pretends to be someone else, I'm saying he somehow becomes someone else. That's why that movie a few years ago (I'm Not There) was so interesting, actually using different actors to play different "Dylans".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 07:46 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 6, 2012 07:46

>That's why that movie a few years ago (I Am Not Here)

I'M NOT THERE (great movie).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 6, 2012 07:51

Glam Descendant
>That's why that movie a few years ago (I Am Not Here)

I'M NOT THERE (great movie).

Yep, I remembered and edited it. Thanks.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 6, 2012 10:34

71Tele
stonesdan60

Dylan has been giving us a "different person" for years. Is the Dylan who did Nashville Skyline the same as the Dylan who did Subterranean Homesick Blues or the Dylan who did Slow Train Coming? Completely different voices and personas. I am not saying he pretends to be someone else, I'm saying he somehow becomes someone else. That's why that movie a few years ago (I'm Not There) was so interesting, actually using different actors to play different "Dylans".

Quite true, 71Tele, although i think stonesdan60 is referring more to the aging of Bob's voice rather than the stylistic changes, which he had chose to adopt over the years. I believe Bob's voice started to show signs of age around the time of STREET LEGAL when his singing first began to show signs of sounding a great deal more nasal.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 11:07

Mine's in the post! Hurrah

Date: September 6, 2012 11:42

Enjoy it Braincapers! I think that Tony Garnier and George Recile are the best rhythmn section around at the moment!

Date: September 7, 2012 13:25

Finally Tempest is in my player. The sound is extremely well.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home